Match! NY - Caledonia, WhtFem 1UFNY, 13-19, Turquoise Necklace, Nov'79 *Tammy Alexander*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was this ever checked out?

If you're talking about Monica, I think that's going to be a difficult lead to chase down, unfortunately (which doesn't mean she should be discounted). I was searching the Mexico missing persons database and couldn't find her - I was also unable to locate any pictures of her at all on the web. If you think it really might be her, it might be worth it to contact the administrators of the Doe Network to see if they have any cached copies of her listing, even though it's not public on their website anymore. This is just my own observation, but Cali's features don't look Mexican to me.

I realize it's probably not a likely match, but I emailed the information on Angela Ramsey to the LE in charge of the case - FYI, the link on the Doe Network listing for Cali is an invalid email address - I ended up emailing lcso@co.livingston.ny.us.

Another thought - the restaurant Cali was seen at the night before she was found was in Lima, NY. She was found in Caledonia the next morning, which is 14 miles northwest along route 20. It would seem that she was heading toward Buffalo or Canada at the time. If she had been on Route 20 earlier that day, perhaps someone spotted her there? Just something to think about.

If you're talking about Monica, I think that's going to be a difficult lead to chase down, unfortunately (which doesn't mean she should be discounted). I was searching the Mexico missing persons database and couldn't find her - I was also unable to locate any pictures of her at all on the web. If you think it really might be her, it might be worth it to contact the administrators of the Doe Network to see if they have any cached copies of her listing, even though it's not public on their website anymore. This is just my own observation, but Cali's features don't look Mexican to me.

I've just sent an e-mail to the Doe Network asking for a cache copy of the listing, preferably with the photo if possible.

Does anyone happen to have Monica Gonzalez Castillo's Doe Network case number from when she was listed on there? I sent an e-mail to Doe staff member Becky Roberts and she said it'd be easier for her to find if she had the case number since that's how she stores all past cases.

Does anyone happen to have Monica Gonzalez Castillo's Doe Network case number from when she was listed on there? I sent an e-mail to Doe staff member Becky Roberts and she said it'd be easier for her to find if she had the case number since that's how she stores all past cases.

I think it's 1516DFMX

Monica Gonzalez Castillo WS post
From what I'm scanning; she may have been compared already.

I'm not sure if she has been mentioned before...

Sheryl Tillinghast - originally from Phelps, Ontario County, NY - Very close to Caledonia, NY

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/tillinghast_sheryl.html

I do not see her listed in NamUs.

Sheryl:
Missing since: 9/24/1973
Age last seen:17
Height and Weight: 5'3" and 140lbs
Distinguising Marks: Brown Hair & Brown Eyes
**She was not reported missing for 25 years**

Jane Doe:
Found: 11/1979
Estimated Age:13-19
Height and Weight: 5'3" and 120lbs
Distinguising Marks: Brown Hair & Brown Eyes

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6583

http://mapq.st/XSx20e

I know that they think Jane Doe was from the Southwest....

Attachments

• tillinghast_sheryl.jpg
    tillinghast_sheryl.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 20
  • doe_joe-livingston-co.jpg
    doe_joe-livingston-co.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 19
I know that they think Jane Doe was from the Southwest....

the Jane Doe could have been originally from anywhere. it is just that the pollen samples and the like place her in the southwest say in the months before her death.

the Jane Doe could have been originally from anywhere. it is just that the pollen samples and the like place her in the southwest say in the months before her death.

That's true of the pollen, but the isotope testing on her teeth also indicated Southwestern U.S. (which I would guess means areas with water sourced from the Colorado River). The enamel of the teeth develop and retain those isotopes throughout childhood. So Cali would have grown up in that environment.

I wanted to point out that I did some searching in the PGR's website and Monica Gonzalez has been found. :)
FOUND!

UBICADO=FOUND

Please feel free to ask me about anyone else in that database as I am Mexican and can easily understand it. :)

Also, note that in Chrome there is a malware warning for the site. I'm unsure why as it's a government site and it has no ads. But I thought I'd mention it.

That's true of the pollen, but the isotope testing on her teeth also indicated Southwestern U.S. (which I would guess means areas with water sourced from the Colorado River). The enamel of the teeth develop and retain those isotopes throughout childhood. So Cali would have grown up in that environment.

thanks for pointing that out Carl. on these cases with long threads, I often try to go by memory as it is quite a chore to dig through all the old posts to pick out one factoid here and another there. and when I go by memory, either I omit a few things or just get them wrong every now and then.

thanks for pointing that out Carl. on these cases with long threads, I often try to go by memory as it is quite a chore to dig through all the old posts to pick out one factoid here and another there. and when I go by memory, either I omit a few things or just get them wrong every now and then.

Maybe someone will offer to do a post with main info to bring it current & can then put a link in their sig.

Maybe someone will offer to do a post with main info to bring it current & can then put a link in their sig.

Here's the quote from annemc2. I am trusting annemc2's judgement that the source regarding isotope analysis was "trustworthy".

The discussion of the pollen analysis for Cali's case is detailed in this link, pages 17 through 21.

http://projects.nfstc.org/trace/2009/presentations/3-bryant-palynology1.pdf

I received some information from a trustworthy source that Cali's teeth were analyzed to determine their oxygen isotope ratios and the results from this were consistent with her growing up in the SW US and some other places in the world. (for a good overview of this analysis read here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11421593)

The O2 isotope ratio technique can not be considered precise, but can be used in conjunction with other pertinent information. Consider this slideshow prepared by one of the world's leading palynologists, VM Bryant (straight out of Aggieland). The content in general is fascinating, but pay close attention to slides 34-42. Entitled "Jane Doe Murdered in Upstate NY" the slides show the process of extracting the pollen from Jane's red jacket and brown corduroy pants. Pollen clues extracted from the clothes are detailed, and Bryant's expert hypothesis on where the Casuarina originated is provided. Check it out: http://projects.nfstc.org/trace/2009/presentations/3-bryant-palynology1.pdf

Here are the relevant slides from the presentation:

1141da94-df97-4773-9dff-5591de101a97.jpg

With the pollen testing, how do they figure out what is transfer (like riding in a vehicle) in car or if a truck/produce/logging truck hitchhiking. Or what is on clothes...like borrowing a jacket or a donated from a homeless shelter, etc. Or transfer from a vehicle. Thanks.

I am sure Mary Gregory is not a great match...but...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gregory_mary.html

With the pollen testing, how do they figure out what is transfer (like riding in a vehicle), what was on clothes...like borrowing a jacket or a donated from a homeless shelter, etc. Thanks. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gregory_mary.html

I don't know whether the same types of pollen was taken both from the jacket pocket lining and from the pants pocket lining. But assuming that is true for the sake of argument, that would make unlikely the possibility that the jacket belonged to someone else at the time that the pollen was introduced.

If she obtained the clothing from a thrift store or homeless shelter, the pants and jacket probably wouldn't have contained the same types of pollen.

I don't know whether the same types of pollen was taken both from the jacket pocket lining and from the pants pocket lining. But assuming that is true for the sake of argument, that would make unlikely the possibility that the jacket belonged to someone else at the time that the pollen was introduced.

If she obtained the clothing from a thrift store or homeless shelter, the pants and jacket probably wouldn't have contained the same types of pollen.

I really enjoyed the slide shows/presentations. That was very informative. Thanks!

It would be interesting to know how they set "limits" or controls. Like, if X amount is present it is definite or a correlation to the area. If under X amount it could be a coincidence. It would make sense if all pieces of clothing contained the same type of pollen. That would make it highly suggestive of the same outfit/person being in on area. Anyway, fascinating stuff.

Hi, I have only been following this case for the past ten or so years. And I live in Australia, But this is one of the three cases that have taken a hold of my life. (the others being the Boy in the box and Jason Doe (AKA Grateful Dead fan). Just had a few questions. Does anyone know of any cults that were in effect in the late 70's in the area? Does anyone know the name of the restaurant she was last seen at? The VenJoint trucking Company.. I could not find any information on them? If she was taken at some point and not hitchhiking, is it possible she had the wrong clothes on at the time for the season and her killer gave her the clothes? But then if they were his why not just take them back? Which leads me to think they were hers, and he just took out anything she carried, Ie money, id, scraps of paper etc. Or maybe he felt bad for her and left her her decency or did not want to take anything that could lead back to him if police talked to him. Personally dont think it was a serial killer, just wrong place wrong time for her and the killer just wanted to get out of the area. Does anyone know if she was sexually active? (not sure if this was identified at the time.) Maybe she was held captive for a time and used sexually? Does anyone have any information on the man who said he knew she was wanting to travel to Boston? Was she wearing the same clothes as at the diner? Sorry for the long post but this one keeps me awake at night. May God give us her name to give back to this Angel.

I remember reading that the investigation on her body revealed no signs of sexual assault, although it doesn't say whether she had recently (or ever) been sexually active. I'm assuming she had never been pregnant - that would have been a significant finding and I'm certain they would have mentioned it.

I realize it's still a long shot, but I received a response from Major Matt Burgess with the Livingston County Sheriff's office with regard to the comparison between Cali and Angela Ramsey. He said that their profiles were both in CODIS, but he's going to request a manual comparison between them just to be sure nothing was missed. It's very reassuring to know that law enforcement still cares about solving this case, even considering its age, and I told Major Burgess as much. He said he would get back to me as soon as they had results (given the typical timeline for this sort of testing, I'm sure it'll be several months before there's any answer), and I'll definitely share as soon as I hear anything. Major Burgess' email is mburgess@co.livingston.ny.us - I'm sure he'd be willing to entertain any viable leads if anyone has them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592