CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being the same age and build as Elisa, also considering going to school in the exact area she was last seen, I imagine how I'd be feeling her in situation...probably paranoid and uneasy. Besides the obvious stress that comes with traveling in an unfamiliar area, LA is very densely populated. I'm not familiar with Vancouver, but I know LA can be off-putting. Being a small, young and attractive woman like Elisa, it isn't unlikely to be stared at, approached or bothered by random men. After a while, you become cautious of these things, if not a little paranoid. I wouldn't be surprised if strange people/men approached or acted creepy towards her in LA, and she was feeling vulnerable in an unfamiliar area which could explain her skiddish behavior in the video.

A few thoughts I had while watching the video over and over again..

1. When she first enters the elevator and crouches to press the four buttons: I don't sense any urgency on her part. I can't really fathom why she would press four buttons in a row for any reason while "clear-minded" unless to delay the doors from closing? Like if she were waiting for someone.. I think if she were trying to avoid someone, she would be repeatedly pressing one button until the doors shut. Then she stands back as if she anticipates the elevator to operate correctly, until the doors briefly start to close but open up again around 12 sec. as others have mentioned. I'm sure she noticed the doors start to shut, which is why she stands there for a few more seconds before jumping out and seeing if someone's there.

2. (~0:20) When she first jumps out with one leg and quickly and looks from side to side: The quick manner in which she does this was the first thing stood out to me..personally, I would probably only react that way in an elevator if I were concerned about someone following me. I'm not fully convinced there was anyone out there, but..it does seem that she was either convinced of something out there, if it turns out she wasn't simply "being playful". When she "hides" in the corner of the elevator and doesn't try to shut the doors shows another instance of lack of urgency to me. This whole scene is baffling because her actions aren't very consistent with her behavior.

3. (~1:30) As Elisa enters the elevator again, she puts her hands on each side of the doorway, as if to support her while she walks in..she does seem disoriented, I would even say she looks a little drunk at that moment if I didn't know what I was watching. She starts pressing a bunch of buttons, then the same ones over again, up and down the button pad, then proceeds to walk out of the elevator again, as though was not intending to change floors anyway.

Of course, we have very little context...they haven't even released what time of day the video was from? Even that could be more telling. I'm sure there's a reason for that.

After watching it so many times, I'm still very unsure about what to make of it. At first thought, it does seem like a mental breakdown. But if that is what we saw, that leads me to believe her condition would be serious enough that she shouldn't have been on a trip like that alone. If she does have a condition that has been undiagnosed, I still think there would have been "signs".

I also think LE tends to be very specific about what info, photos and footage they release. If it were a mental breakdown, I assume that LE would've recognized that fairly quickly and would not have shared the footage. It seems like this is a move on LE's part in hopes of getting info from the public.

All my opinions obviously. Sorry for the novel, maybe others will be able to bounce of these thoughts?

I really do hope she turns up this holiday weekend. I can't believe it's already been two weeks. Wishing the best for Elisa and all of those in her life.

This article states that the last time she was seen by staff was around the same time the elevator video captured her image. However, halfway down the article it says they are unsure of what time of day the video was taken.

#1 what???
#2 isn't there a time stamp on the video?

Also, I'm going to go look for a link-I remember a weird statement from a hotel staffer who, when asked about Ms Lam's possessions and phone, said possessions were in the room, but "I don't want to talk about the phone." Anyone remember this?

http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=7975650

This article states that the last time she was seen by staff was around the same time the elevator video captured her image. However, halfway down the article it says they are unsure of what time of day the video was taken.

#1 what???
#2 isn't there a time stamp on the video?

Also, I'm going to go look for a link-I remember a weird statement from a hotel staffer who, when asked about Ms Lam's possessions and phone, said possessions were in the room, but "I don't want to talk about the phone." Anyone remember this?

http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=7975650

I remember the quote about the cellphone. I might've just skimmed it, but I was under the impression it was LE that said they don't want to talk about it? Regardless, the wording was weird to me too.

While not familiar with that exact location, I am familiar with basic area as I go there at least once a month usually. She could easily walk to Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Olvera St, Angel's Flight and my personal fav, Grand Central market where I take the kids shopping to gross them out, but keep them in sight.

It is NOT an area I'd be in after sundown. I doubt I'd go alone even in daylight. I was at the market last summer and there were homeless types around and I know more converge after sun goes down. While I've never taken it, part of the metro is underground and friends who have used it refuse to take it.

When I saw the vid my first thought was psychotic break, however, sadly, it would not shock me if she was abducted.

Could it be possible that EL was sleep-walking and wondered off ?

There's a comment under the news report (linked above) by someone using the name 'Vancouver Detective'...

They explain the elevator is probably on 'service mode'...

If this is true, the hotel employee that was using the elevator must have been close by...perhaps THAT is who Elisa seems to be explaining/speaking too.

The answer is out there - Elisa is somewhere - she didn't just vanish into thin air.

<snipped for space>

Sorry kids - I apologize - disregard the comment by VD under that news story --- I realize now at the very beginning of the video the elevator door is actually closed and then opens letting Elisa enter....therefore it can't be on 'service mode' otherwise the door would have already been opened when she arrived at it.

Just a thought, but was the elevator adjusted for a religious observance?
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat_elevator"]Shabbat elevator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I was pondering this baffling video earlier and this thought came to mind.....was Elisa ever seen on the elevator cameras again? If not (and I'm assuming this was not video from the first floor), did she use the stairway to leave the building? Are there no other surveillance cameras in this hotel??

Hoping that the roof and furnace room have been checked... Watched the video many times now and it really is freaky, wonder if Elisa's friends can interpret any of her gestures?

EL seems to not only bend appropriately, but have the dexterity to press the lower elevator buttons, surprising considering that she was not wearing her glasses.

This is so freaky. I can not get my mind off this video. It is really sad to see her family in the press conference video.

Random thoughts...

I wonder if someone drugged her. Someone I showed the video to mentioned bathsalts?

Someone had mentioned upstream about the shower...that worries me too. Especially since there is a comment that a guest posted re: being watched in the shower during a stay.

Here's a link to more hotel photos, including closeup of the elevator buttons...(There is a comment that says there are 2 fully functional elevators):
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ceci...0XWlhUYap81ZxsIiz5llZw#8WRRjdNxuSdkRLmwF7csdQ

The video tour posted upstream shows all the crazy twists and turns of the hallways...I would imagine the elevator would be one of the few places, if not only place, to gain cover...

This whole things reminds me of The Shining...

I just don't know what to think about this.

I wonder what floor she was staying on, the location of her room, whether she had a private bath room...

Hopefully the Housekeeping Station has been searched with a fine tooth comb for any blood evidence on sheets, towels, etc...

What is the deal with her cellphone? I wonder why they will not address this publicly. Any ideas on that?

With this being an "international" case I am sure they are taking this very very seriously and are doing a very thorough investigation.

Do you guys remember Scooby Doo, when Velma would lose her glasses and would do those hand motions, almost like swimming....it seems Elisa may be doing this...

What is she counting and explaining? I'm not so sure anymore she is hallucinating.

She is wearing sandals so I don't think she was going to the gym or planned to go far (no purse, phone).

There is a cafe on the ground floor.

I'm betting the guest list and staff list is being closely examined.

I am really worried about this young lady.

I think its interesting that she is not necessarily running into the elevator...

Notice how she walks a backward square?

I'm so worried about her. I have never been so into a case before. Can the police just search the whole hotel please.........Someone on facebook wrote this&#65292; bascically saying Elisa is still in the building:

" I'm with Ken. She is still in the hotel. Either she was take to another hotel room, the roof, basement or... But I don't believe she left. I believe she was being harassed in or near her shared bathroom or her room, found occasion to leave to look for cleaning staff or other hotel staff on the floor below. She took a stairwell down to it, couldn't find staff so decided the easy and maybe safer way would be to take the elevator as she would feel less 'open' in there. She pushed all the buttons from that floor down thinking it would stop at each floor, open, she would be able to look out and if so staff were found she could go one to the next lower floor etc til she found help. But she realizes the person she is trying to avoid has likely followed her down the stairwell - he knows she is on to him and he's not happy now. That is why she hid against the controls. Then she second guesses herself and thinks maybe it wasn't him who opened the stairwell door. She hopes it is someone who can help her. That is why she looks out. However, she just had her fright and here it is 20 seconds later and now she is shaking - that is why the little hop. She isn't able to make a smooth action coming down from the adrenaline. When she realizes she is still alone, that the person who opened the stairwell door has gone on, she feels a little relief. But she doesn't know what to do next so she thinks. She is using all her senses at this point. She tried to urge the elevator to come unstuck by pushing the buttons again but they aren't toggles so they don't come unjammed. It isn't making the usual elevator noises as if it were going to get moving again so she gives up on it. She's beyond fright and flight at this point. She enters the hallway, and states to herself - we all do this when we are at our wits end - this is crazy - I hate this city! I am never coming here again! She laughs because she is overwhelmed - she counts out to herself the sequence of challenging events in the past few hours or days speaking of them as 'first this, the that, and now, argh! ' so she takes a breath to calm a bit and realizes she is going to have to go back and face who she is trying to avoid. She gives in to 'fight' by heading back to where she came from. Unfortunately, the person she has tried to avoid has kicked his game up a notch as he knows she isn't going to play anymore so what she returns to is her worst nightmare. I wish the police would check all the rooms and fire escapes and storage areas. I think she is still there."

Hoping that the roof and furnace room have been checked... Watched the video many times now and it really is freaky, wonder if Elisa's friends can interpret any of her gestures?

EL seems to not only bend appropriately, but have the dexterity to press the lower elevator buttons, surprising considering that she was not wearing her glasses.

I've watched the video many times as well. I'm a little haunted by it. I'm interested in others opinions. At first glance, it appears she is not mentally well.
After watching it many times, I wondered if anyone else thought that during the segment where she is outside the elevator making the strange hand and body movements she may be singing? I know it's a stretch, and I may be reaching but I'm just trying to make some sense of it. Whether or not she is singing, she is still acting in a VERY unusual manner. Prayers for her safe return.

Being the same age and build as Elisa, also considering going to school in the exact area she was last seen, I imagine how I'd be feeling her in situation...probably paranoid and uneasy. Besides the obvious stress that comes with traveling in an unfamiliar area, LA is very densely populated. I'm not familiar with Vancouver, but I know LA can be off-putting. Being a small, young and attractive woman like Elisa, it isn't unlikely to be stared at, approached or bothered by random men. After a while, you become cautious of these things, if not a little paranoid. I wouldn't be surprised if strange people/men approached or acted creepy towards her in LA, and she was feeling vulnerable in an unfamiliar area which could explain her skiddish behavior in the video.

A few thoughts I had while watching the video over and over again..

1. When she first enters the elevator and crouches to press the four buttons: I don't sense any urgency on her part. I can't really fathom why she would press four buttons in a row for any reason while "clear-minded" unless to delay the doors from closing? Like if she were waiting for someone.. I think if she were trying to avoid someone, she would be repeatedly pressing one button until the doors shut. Then she stands back as if she anticipates the elevator to operate correctly, until the doors briefly start to close but open up again around 12 sec. as others have mentioned. I'm sure she noticed the doors start to shut, which is why she stands there for a few more seconds before jumping out and seeing if someone's there.

2. (~0:20) When she first jumps out with one leg and quickly and looks from side to side: The quick manner in which she does this was the first thing stood out to me..personally, I would probably only react that way in an elevator if I were concerned about someone following me. I'm not fully convinced there was anyone out there, but..it does seem that she was either convinced of something out there, if it turns out she wasn't simply "being playful". When she "hides" in the corner of the elevator and doesn't try to shut the doors shows another instance of lack of urgency to me. This whole scene is baffling because her actions aren't very consistent with her behavior.

3. (~1:30) As Elisa enters the elevator again, she puts her hands on each side of the doorway, as if to support her while she walks in..she does seem disoriented, I would even say she looks a little drunk at that moment if I didn't know what I was watching. She starts pressing a bunch of buttons, then the same ones over again, up and down the button pad, then proceeds to walk out of the elevator again, as though was not intending to change floors anyway.

Of course, we have very little context...they haven't even released what time of day the video was from? Even that could be more telling. I'm sure there's a reason for that.

After watching it so many times, I'm still very unsure about what to make of it. At first thought, it does seem like a mental breakdown. But if that is what we saw, that leads me to believe her condition would be serious enough that she shouldn't have been on a trip like that alone. If she does have a condition that has been undiagnosed, I still think there would have been "signs".

I also think LE tends to be very specific about what info, photos and footage they release. If it were a mental breakdown, I assume that LE would've recognized that fairly quickly and would not have shared the footage. It seems like this is a move on LE's part in hopes of getting info from the public.

All my opinions obviously. Sorry for the novel, maybe others will be able to bounce of these thoughts?

Great post.

Even if LE suspects a breakdown, I believe they would still release the footage in order to get a lead on her location and get her to safety.

Maybe she just smoked a little weed with someone and it was laced?

This is what I'm afraid of. I don't want Elisa to become one of the many mentally ill people in our society living on the streets.

From the below article: There are also people posting claiming to have sighted the missing woman. One poster claims that he might have seen the missing woman "on Wilshire and Western." The person posted on the page that the woman appeared to be suffering from some kind of mental condition and was "yelling nonstop into the air."

http://www.examiner.com/article/what-happened-to-elisa-lam

This is what I'm afraid of. I don't want Elisa to become one of the many mentally ill people in our society living on the streets.

From the below article: There are also people posting claiming to have sighted the missing woman. One poster claims that he might have seen the missing woman "on Wilshire and Western." The person posted on the page that the woman appeared to be suffering from some kind of mental condition and was "yelling nonstop into the air."

http://www.examiner.com/article/what-happened-to-elisa-lam

If she had a breakdown, then hopefully she wandered off and will be sighted soon, and is safe in the meantime!

I wonder if all shelters have been checked out...I would imagine so.

Maybe I should send her flier to all the shelters in LA, just in case, along with a kind request to please print and post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa