CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure if I should post that because she didn't want to post her sister name. Well, someone else did anyway lol

p.s. There's an email, maybe someone should ask her if the story checks out.
Haha yeah, me too... I'm not sure if her older sister will order her to delete that whole page of comments on the forum now! I was under the impression this wasn't meant to be "on the record" sortta thing...

Anyway the post had originally been on ANOTHER Chinese forum and then it was taken down. Then it appeared in a different forum and that was where I translated it from.

I've been disappointed in the lack of media coverage of this terrible case in the US. I wonder whether it would light a fir under some of these journalists and, in turn, the police, if they received a lot of emails or letters imploring them (politely) to increase their coverage of it and do some more investigative reporting. The LA Times and LA Weekly come to mind. And maybe some tv shows that tend to cover murders--Gretta Van Sustren comes to mind. She did innumerable hours of reporting on the creep Joran ven der Sloot and Natalee Holloway's disappearance. And it helped get the guy, I think.

Why she and others aren't covering this case much is mystifying to me. With the strange elevator video, and the macabre scene of a corpse in a hotel water tank, the lurid history of the hotel itself, one would think this case would get more coverage.

The activity here and elsewhere on the web is evidence that this is a particularly intriguing case... Anyway, I'm going to send out some emails asking for more news coverage of this. I don't know if it will do any good, but maybe if enough people do...?

PS: Some people here are doing excellent legwork trying to get useful evidence. As are some Chinese outlets... Why can't the American journalists do something?

Finally able to post!

I've been lurking for a while and decided to make an account...I'm home "sick" with a concussion from falling off a horse so I've had a lot of time on my hands. When I go back to work it might not be the case...

Anyway, I have been on other forums as well, and there has been some interesting stuff posted in those forums. However, one of them is not loading for some reason. I wanted to post a video that someone took from EL's POV in the elevator, mimicking the motions she made. It's actually pretty enlightening because you can see what is around the elevator and to the right and left, and where someone could have been standing if she were talking to someone.

This is now the, what, 4th thread? So it might have been posted before. I haven't had the energy (my brain still isn't working properly) to really go through every single post. But, the forum is now working again, so I found the link:

[ame="http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/zXVG4fgvfTk/"]test2_ÔÚÏßÊÓƵ¹Û¿´_ÍÁ¶¹ÍøÊÓƵ test[/ame]

Pretty enlightening.

I'm pretty disturbed by the elevator video in general, I must say...It's very sensationalized. What would the LAPD hope to gain from posting that video besides entertainment, for lack of a better word? I don't like that people are sensationalizing this whole thing, and this poor girl who ended up in a bad situation...And think about how her family must feel. It makes me really sad.

I had another thought, too...(Sorry for jumping around, blame the concussion! :banghead: )

Has anyone considered the Chinese Mafia being involved? :waitasec:

I know it might be a bit of a stretch, but...I live in the city where Elisa is from. I didn't know her, and I don't know her family, but their restaurant is not far from where I live. The Chinese community here is spread out and large, but is also close knit. And I'm assuming their restaurant has done pretty well. So I don't think it's a *huge* stretch to think about this.

The fact that others have been found in water tanks all over Asia is what led me to this thought...

Yes, there is an reporter on KTSF26 who´s name has the last character "玉".
http://www.ktsf.com/en/jessie-liang/

But it's unclear to me when the original post was put online- before or after the broadcast of the report? If before then it might be more credible. The broadcast was made on Feb 26 or earlier LINK. If the message was posted after that, it's possible that someone watched the TV report posed to be reporter Liang's sister and put some fabricated stuff in the post. Too bad the original post has been deleted.

I wasn't sure if I should post that because she didn't want to post her sister name. Well, someone else did anyway lol

Well, there are 12 reporters on KTSF26 so it is rather easy to check it up

http://ask.metafilter.com/207105/Vegetarian-or-Movementarian

Could the poster who said they lived in Toronto tell me if they know when the Suma Ching Hai restaurant Loving Hut was on Eglinton, how many years?

Above is the post I mentioned about a woman who says they know someone who is living above the restaurant I assume on Spadina

There is one I believe at Spadina and Richmond.

Yes, I am thinking of doing that

Finally able to post!

I've been lurking for a while and decided to make an account...I'm home "sick" with a concussion from falling off a horse so I've had a lot of time on my hands. When I go back to work it might not be the case...

Anyway, I have been on other forums as well, and there has been some interesting stuff posted in those forums. However, one of them is not loading for some reason. I wanted to post a video that someone took from EL's POV in the elevator, mimicking the motions she made. It's actually pretty enlightening because you can see what is around the elevator and to the right and left, and where someone could have been standing if she were talking to someone.

This is now the, what, 4th thread? So it might have been posted before. I haven't had the energy (my brain still isn't working properly) to really go through every single post. But, the forum is now working again, so I found the link:

test2_ÔÚÏßÊÓƵ¹Û¿´_ÍÁ¶¹ÍøÊÓƵ test

Pretty enlightening.

I'm pretty disturbed by the elevator video in general, I must say...It's very sensationalized. What would the LAPD hope to gain from posting that video besides entertainment, for lack of a better word? I don't like that people are sensationalizing this whole thing, and this poor girl who ended up in a bad situation...And think about how her family must feel. It makes me really sad.

I had another thought, too...(Sorry for jumping around, blame the concussion! :banghead: )

I know it might be a bit of a stretch, but...I live in the city where Elisa is from. I didn't know her, and I don't know her family, but their restaurant is not far from where I live. The Chinese community here is spread out and large, but is also close knit. And I'm assuming their restaurant has done pretty well. So I don't think it's a *huge* stretch to think about this.

The fact that others have been found in water tanks all over Asia is what led me to this thought...

Oh, and in that video...Why does one of the buttons glow red?

Well, there are 12 reporters on KTSF26 so it is rather easy to check it up

No, I meant writing Jessie Liang specifically and asking if she indeed talked to the coroner. Maybe she could ask more questions.

No, I meant writing Jessie Liang specifically and asking if she indeed talked to the coroner. Maybe she could ask more questions.

I think she did, there's a short TV report made by her. LINK But the exact contents of her conversation with the Coroner might be different from what was posted online by someone claiming to be her sis. And even if she did tell her sis (if she has one) so, most likely she'll deny it when asked.

I think she did, there's a short TV report made by her. LINK But the exact contents of her conversation with the Coroner might be different from what was posted online by someone claiming to be her sis. And even if she did tell her sis (if she has one) so, most likely she'll deny it when asked.

And for those of us who are not fortunate enough to speak Chinese? :seeya:

Anyone care to translate? :D

But it's unclear to me when the original post was put online- before or after the broadcast of the report? If before then it might be more credible. The broadcast was made on Feb 26 or earlier LINK. If the message was posted after that, it's possible that someone watched the TV report posed to be reporter Liang's sister and put some fabricated stuff in the post. Too bad the original post has been deleted.

the original post was posted on Feb 26th. i don't know if it was before or after the broadcast.
i think the repost was made a few hours after the original one and i'm pretty sure the original post was deleted within 12 hours of posting. maybe someone can dig up something from Google. (i can do it after i'm home tonight if no one else want to dig it up)

Finally able to post!

test2_ÔÚÏßÊÓƵ¹Û¿´_ÍÁ¶¹ÍøÊÓƵ test

Pretty enlightening.

Welcome, and get well soon! :)

Even though I prefer to give the family the benefit of the doubt, Triads and mafia and such are so interwoven with daily life in Vancouver (even among folks who seem respectable in all other senses) that I can't outright discount that possibility. I'd also like to claim with confidence that gang-related actions tend to happen close to home, and that it doesn't make sense to follow someone's daughter to California to harm her there, but there have been cases in the media (such as that shooting in Nuevo Vallarta awhile back) where Vancouver-based gang violence has happened a long way from Vancouver. So: I hope it's not the case, and I don't mean to drag a grieving family's name through the mud, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

I had a look at the KTSF TV news clip mentioned in this previous post here

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8952461&postcount=175"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #4[/ame]

Basically the TV reporter says that her death is treated as suspicious, that its not a straightforward case. More will be revealed once the toxicology reports come in. Says her University coursemate (last name Tristea) said she was a very likeable girl, etc.

It doesn't mention any "juicy" details like for instance, that the body was found nude, that the hotel staff are suspects, all those sort of details contained in the post I translated today here :
[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8949195&postcount=55"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #4[/ame]

It seems that all the posts on her Tumblr after January 29th are reblogs. This isn't odd at all, given she was missing since Jan 31st and Tumblr allows bloggers to queue up their reblogs and have them appear at time intervals specified previously by the blogger. If she had like 1000 reblogs queued up say, then you'll be seeing more reblogs on her Tumblr for a long time. Since she seemed pretty active on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if she really did have a large number of reblogs queued up. Also queueing up her reblogs would prevent her followers from getting overwhelmed by the sheer number of reblogs she wanted to do.

I mean I'd be spooked out if there were any new posts written by her personally, NOT reblogged, that appear on her Tumblr after she went missing/died. (Thankfully this hasn't been the case)

The last post of her that was not a reblog and is written by her, was dated 29th January. It is the one here

http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/post/41786151020/i-have-arrived-in-laland-and-there-is-a

Where she wrote :

"I have arrived in Laland…

and there is a monstrosity of a building next to the place I’m staying

when I say monstrosity mind you I’m saying as in gaudy

but then again it was built in 1928 hence the art deco theme so yes it IS classy but then since it’s LA it went on crack

Fairly certain this is where Baz Lurhmann needs to film the Great Gatsby"

Pretty sure she was at the Cecil then. I find it chilling to read... because this is where she is found dead in... but here she sounds like she's in the middle of an eye-opening exciting trip... Sad what happened to her.

Maybe this gives the clue why she stayed at Cecil - to see the building where the Great Gatsby was filmed? Her FB post also mentioned doing a "pilgrimage" to places in the film, Drive.

Please take some more pictures of the inside, eg. Elevator and hallways.

thanks,

A sharp picture of the elevator panel and whatever other indicator panels above or below on both elevators. Test out the exact same sequence to get the button lights on and take a pic of that too. Thanks.

It's just strange that there was a certain consistency to those posts for practically the entirety of its existence, and then bam. Done. But then, yesterday, one appears again.

I agree: I do not know what to make of this case. If they have a lead they're following, I hope that the general public is safe. I'll come back to Mickey Shunick again and say that LE did some awesome "close to the vest" work in that case. HOPING it's the same way with this one.

The timing of the tarot card is possibly interesting. Two nights ago, Criminal Minds had an episode where seemingly random murders were occurring and the perp had sent the FBI the Death tarot card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173