trial day 33: the defense continues its case in chief #96

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just relaying this from the KatieCoolady thread:

The tie Travis's brother is wearing in the photo in the above link is from the anonymous Websleuther that gave sent them gifts. <3 Nice!

Thanks!

Going over to the court observer thread before I fall asleep :seeya:Nite all!

Just heard a tidbit from one of the defense attys on HLN:

[paraphrasing]

The reason that they are working so hard to get PTSD in is because of the upcoming DV expert. 'Battered Woman' is NOT a DMSV symptom, but PTSD is. So they need the jury to get onboard with the PTSD diagnosis.

I think they have failed so far.

If thats the case they've failed to make the connection between PTSD and domestic violence anyway because according to the Dr the trigger was the killing.

Ultimately his entire testimony SHOULDN'T matter because as he himself stated even murderers can have PTSD and the test was based on a false story which may--MAY--have been based on true emotions during the killing. While he can go ahead and diagnose her, he can ONLY speculate as to what scenario the PTSD developed under. Therefore, this has been a complete waste of time.

All I have concluded from Samuels is he based a PTSD dx in large part on the ninja tale, and he was snookered by the defendant.

But I can't figure out why the jury should care if she had PTSD. I don't believe it, but even if she did, WTH does it matter?

I didn't watch much of it today, but did catch that her score didn't even reach the PTSD threshold, although she did score high on anxiety. Too bad so sad.
Of ourse she was anxious. Not because she murdered Travis, but because she was locked up in jail on a first degree murder charge. No.freedom.

This trial has turned into a charade. I've never seen anything like it. This liar has created so much chaos and is causing a "huge waste" of resources.

I just found out tonight WHY it matters.

They need the jury to accept that she has PTSD in order for the upcoming DV expert to make sense.

There is no such thing as 'battered woman' in the psych catalogue. The closest thing they can find is PTSD. So they need the jury to get onboard with that diagnosis so they can take it to the next level with the LaViollette Lady.

She is going to try and explain that she was a victim of Travis's, and could not help but visit him that night and could not break free from his spell and was so battered and frightened that she had no choice but to slaughter him. :furious:

Jumping off your post....
Texas is no different. If a house has a good A/C, you can keep it cool inside. The temps were only 90 in Arizona in June 2008. It wasn't the hot season, which can get up to 120. Indoors, in my home, it's can't be cold enough for the men, and it's never warm enough for me, all year round. I'm always in a sweatshirt. Not that I think it matters. If JA was wearing a sweatshirt, it was to cover her body from injury and blood spatter.

The roommates didn't notice that Travis was dead, for whatever reason they didn't do anything wrong. I can't imagine the "what ifs" they do every single day. It's not their fault and I think they have been through enough. :twocents:

I agree but I think people are just kind of flabbergasted that no one noticed or cared to investigate the horrible smell of a decomposing body. I don't think anyone is accusing them or anything. It's just so odd that he wasn't found sooner. To some it may seem oblivious. But it makes some sense to me.

I doubt it. Dead things begin to smell very quickly. The room mates did smell something, but brushed it off as the dog urinating and defacating. The people who found travis, and the police/detective, immediately smelled it as well. It is absolutely distinct and overwhelming. Perhaps their noses began to cancel out the odour, perhaps they just never would have thought "must be a dead body in the house," perhaps they were just typical young men who couldn't be bothered to investigate or call someone about it...

I have a 20 year old son. It has been my experience that young men have a very high tolerance for foul odors.

AZ CENTRAL...Was REALLY, really really bad today. They completely FORGOT to pan the room and almost NEVER showed the side of the VICTIM'S family. What the hay? New cam corder guy/gal? LAME footage. Biased footage. Sorry but if someone can direct me to another link for live trial, I would happily go there.

Per the smell/temperature issue - there is a crucial factor being left out:

Lack of humidity. Humidity tends to spoil, Aridity tends to mummify/desiccate.

When I first came to AZ, one of my kids left a slice of turkey in her room and somehow she didn't see it and forgot about it. It didn't smell. At all. It turned into jerky, basically. This would not, could not have happened in NY. It was strange. Also, citrus (unless in a plastic bag) and pomegranates will harden and dry out if not eaten up. They don't smell. Liquids evaporate.

This could have been something of a factor in the roommates not detecting a smell in the first couple of days perhaps. Granted, a decomposing body is not a slice of turkey or a pomegranate, but the smell may not have been as apparent due to the low humidity - until maybe day 3 or 4 - with a closed door and an indirect route to the shower, the air may not have moved that much.

I don't understand why anyone is doubting the roommates on this issue... (?). I think if they had smelled something that concerned them, they would have investigated it. Apparently they didn't. I don't question their statements about this. Det. Flores knows this smell, and recognized it immediately. Had Travis not been found then, the roommates would have likely found him soon enough. They may have become accustomed to the smell - or figured it was garbage - or something coming from outside.

I certainly don't think they're being dishonest about this... They didn't catch on. That's about all there is to it, no?

I agree (the ME stated the body was starting to mummify-ugh, hard to type that, poor Travis. :( My oldest nephew is named Travis and has the same nickname T-Dogg) and want to add:

The bath faces south and is above the garage at the end of the home.

The home has 2 a/c units. See photo #162.

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013...hotos-nancy-grace-mysteries-day-4?hpt=hln10_1

Per the smell/temperature issue - there is a crucial factor being left out:

Lack of humidity. Humidity tends to spoil, Aridity tends to mummify/desiccate.

When I first came to AZ, one of my kids left a slice of turkey in her room and somehow she didn't see it and forgot about it. It didn't smell. At all. It turned into jerky, basically. This would not, could not have happened in NY. It was strange. Also, citrus (unless in a plastic bag) and pomegranates will harden and dry out if not eaten up. They don't smell. Liquids evaporate.

This could have been something of a factor in the roommates not detecting a smell in the first couple of days perhaps. Granted, a decomposing body is not a slice of turkey or a pomegranate, but the smell may not have been as apparent due to the low humidity - until maybe day 3 or 4 - with a closed door and an indirect route to the shower, the air may not have moved that much.

I don't understand why anyone is doubting the roommates on this issue... (?). I think if they had smelled something that concerned them, they would have investigated it. Apparently they didn't. I don't question their statements about this. Det. Flores knows this smell, and recognized it immediately. Had Travis not been found then, the roommates would have likely found him soon enough. They may have become accustomed to the smell - or figured it was garbage - or something coming from outside.

I certainly don't think they're being dishonest about this... They didn't catch on. That's about all there is to it, no?
I think you're right. This is what I have been trying to point out. Arizona heat because of the dryness is much different than places that have humidity.

I have a 20 year old son. It has been my experience that young men have a very high tolerance for foul odors.

Except for when it comes to changing a diaper or cleaning up their child's vomit! :floorlaugh:

I just found out tonight WHY it matters.

They need the jury to accept that she has PTSD in order for the upcoming DV expert to make sense.

There is no such thing as 'battered woman' in the psych catalogue. The closest thing they can find is PTSD. So they need the jury to get onboard with that diagnosis so they can take it to the next level with the LaViollette Lady.

She is going to try and explain that she was a victim of Travis's, and could not help but visit him that night and could not break free from his spell and was so battered and frightened that she had no choice but to slaughter him. :furious:

You called it. Have you looked at her website? Hoo boy it's going to be worse than Dr. Samuels nonsense. They're definitely setting her up as a victim.

It will be more subjective, pointless nonsense imo.

Did you see her antisocial and histrionic scores?:eek: They were pretty high. How could the doc not be scared of her after seeing her fudged scores? She could barely fake being non-antisocial.

At $250 an hour for 25-30 hours with the defendant and probably double that for examinations and discussions, this guy is WILLING to go there. A pittance if you add it up. No..He's cashing in already on interviews and books and such AFTER THE FACT...

Did you ever imagine that Baez would be paid to appear on ANY show?

moo

I know! Did you ever see two "professionals" so ill prepared for a major trial? It was reminiscent of another trial, and THAT DT's "experts". I hear circus music in the background as I'm watching them on NG right now. :giggle:

Whoever said parts of this trial are like a SNL skit is so right. You JUST can't make this stuff up. :floorlaugh:

Samuels is actually being paid by the prosecution. I have never seen a more effective expert-- just not for the defense!

I don't know what is going with y'all's ACs because in Texas where it gets to over 100 degrees I am able to get the house cold enough to need to use comforters and wear a sweater. Like into the 60s.

I agree! Here in Minnesota last summer we were in the high 90's low 100's with dew points in the 60's and my apartment management tried the same line about AC not cooling more than 20 degrees...funny it cooled my apartment to 68 degrees perfectly AFTER they replaced the broken AC unit.

You called it. Have you looked at her website? Hoo boy it's going to be worse than Dr. Samuels nonsense. They're definitely setting her up as a victim.

It will be more subjective, pointless nonsense imo.
She's going to be supremely funny.

moo

Jumping off your post....
Texas is no different. If a house has a good A/C, you can keep it cool inside. The temps were only 90 in Arizona in June 2008. It wasn't the hot season, which can get up to 120. Indoors, in my home, it's can't be cold enough for the men, and it's never warm enough for me, all year round. I'm always in a sweatshirt. Not that I think it matters. If JA was wearing a sweatshirt, it was to cover her body from injury and blood spatter.

The roommates didn't notice that Travis was dead, for whatever reason they didn't do anything wrong. I can't imagine the "what ifs" they do every single day. It's not their fault and I think they have been through enough. :twocents:
Umm, yes it was the hot season, when I was there when it was 120- it was in May- over a Memorial Day Weekend.

HummmmI would bet that JM is onto the thefts via Flores and we're going to hear/see something about it. Haha, Maybe she will have to come to court in handcuffs.

I was sitting here letting my mind wonder a bit. I got to thinking about the stun belt JA has to wear in court. Wouldn't it be sweet if one of us watching her antics could zap her every time we saw her do something that ticks us off!

Samuels is actually being paid by the prosecution. I have never seen a more effective expert-- just not for the defense!

No. Please don't create confusion when there already is so much! He's a defence witness and he is being payed by the defence.

Has anybody ever wondered or speculated as to why she locked the door and tried to hide everything? Why didn't she just leave with the crime scene wide open to everyone? just wondering

Never thought of that before...maybe she knew the roommate was due home home soon and if he found Travis he'd report it right away, she might still be in the neighborhood. So hiding Travis' body bought her more time to get away from Mesa.

Hi everyone...I am very new to this case. In fact, I have only seen snippets of the prosecutions case and started watching testimony when Jody was on the stand. So I am closer to what the jury must be thinking than those of you who have been able to review and know all things Jodi Arias. Some observations that Ive made so far:

1. There is absolutely no way from the sitting position of Travis in the shower to the dragging photo inadvertantly taken, that Jodi's version could have taken place. First off, he is sitting in the shower (fact per photo) and she is stooping to take pick at eye level - drops camera and it rolls...in normal circumstance -- her first reaction is to pick up camera. So she bends over to get camera and examines to see if anything broke. His immediate reaction would be first to see what happened and then to see if camera is broke. It would take some time for him to go from confusion as to what happened to rage that his camera might be broken. Question? Can a normal person go from happy/having sexy shower pics to murderous rage over a camera that may or may not be broken in an instant as JA wants us to believe? If I were a juror, I would say NO! Either way this happy to rage must take some time to occur...not an instant like the defense wants me to believe.

2. I actually have an old camera that looks similar to the camera in question. I decided to drop it on a bathroom mat and see what happens...I tried repeatedly and it did not roll off my shower mat...Although my mat is not identical to Travis' my camera did not "roll" off the matt and onto the ceramic tile. I was able to get it to roll 2x at most but usually it was just 1 roll and it stayed on the mat the whole time...not sure if this makes any difference but the damage perceived by Travis would have been less if it stayed on mat than rolling on ceramic tile.

3. Flight or fight?....there is no way a person who is in fear for their life would turn to the closet if they had their choice of running towards the stairs (their only way of escaping) ...closet means certain confrontation whereas stairs mean a chance of escaping. I have had a panic attack (when flying on an airplane) before so i know first hand about fight or flight...the only thing on JA mind at that moment would be to get out of the house (and if she had time to shut the closet door she would have had time to open the bedroom door) to escape...no way would she have gome into the closet when the door to freedom was possible.....

4. So...since nothing so far makes common sense to me ( and I havent even watched the prosecutions witnesses...the fact that Travis was shot...stabbed numerous times...and throat slit...dragged back into the shower...clean up...etc etc etc....my conclusion if I were a juror would be total fabrication and Guilty of 1 st degree premediated murder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix