a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
good question...I don't remember right now but I did see it up on the screen at some point

During direct, Nurmi had her read it out loud, I'll try and go back to find the video of it. It is very, very interesting, if you watch her left hand which is holding a tissue, as she read certain words such a sociopath, she clinches the tissue into a fist at each word that angers her.

Ah, Ms. Katiecoolady! Thank you for another wonderful report! It's even better that your brother is doing better. I will be off now to look for his painting.

One of the most fascinating parts of the trial yesterday was observing Jodi and Willmott dressed like twins. Why does Willmott encourage this by giving Jodi or her mother the color code for the next day? Doesn't she know that this "mirroring" is a sign among many of some sort of illness?

There was a program on Discovery ID a while back (Stalked?) where a woman moved into a new home, only to have her welcoming new neighbor "befriend" her and rapidly change her clothing style, hair color, etc. to literally become her neighbor. Her neighbor began stalking her home, peeping in her windows. It became so frightening and intrusive, she moved away.

Dr. Lillian Glass on the radio show last Sunday called it an "adhesive personality" (worth a listen imo).

KCL - Can you clarify what you meant about what AVL can and cannot talk about? How can she talk about Jodi being abused if it's not at the hands of Travis? If she can only talk in generic terms about what abused women do or don't do that seems like a big waste of time and will frustrate the jury I'd think.

Also, did you get kind of a tingle when JM got into all the previous acts of violence Jodi committed (you know, those numerous "irrelevant" violent outbursts) thinking, "Ooh ooh did Samuels open the door to introducing the 'hitting little brother in the head with a baseball bat' incident?"

Lastly, on TV it seemed like there were a few times during the JM grilling where Samuels looked over at Willmott practically pleading for her to do something to make the mean little man go away. Did you get any impression like that too?

Thanks as always for the great insights!

Hi bsk,

I'm trying to remember exactly how Beth put it. (she's so awesome by the way--plug for my Bring Back Beth page as she's always been so generous..she'd been up since 4am yet still stood on the sidewalk discussing the trial with us for at least 10-15 min last night--

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beth-Karas-Bring-Back-Beth/556728244361860?ref=ts&fref=ts

Anyway, she said that there was a huge long hearing about LaViolette and it was decided she could NOT identify Travis as "abusive" as she'd had no opportunity to interview him. I don't know how the DT will try and get around this but it will be interesting. I suspect lots of objections.

Beth emphasized this as being a huge issue in terms of defense strategy. I wish someone could find minutes or anything from that hearing. I'm too beat to go a hunting. ;)

Those prior acts of violence were HUGE...just HUGE. That and the kicking the dog coming in on the same day. Without going in to great detail on this controversial topic, I'm getting clarity on my own personal feelings toward JA's mom. I don't think things are as they seem there. In fact, not at all. I do have a pretty good hinky meter (except when it comes to men who want to date me but that's another story ;) ) so this intuition I've had about her has been confusing, to me. After yesterday I have much more clarity on it.

Ya know your last comment speaks to how watching on TV provides things we can't see in person. You see the def. table from the front..we only see their backs and the witness stand is super far away. So...good catch! He was a hot mess yesterday imo and I'm sure just relieved to have survived it...if he did survive it I mean (career wise). The only good thing for Samuels' career is that all defense attorneys know he will do and say anything no matter how confusing, contradictory and flat out perposterous and unethical to support their case. Well, what a note to end your 35 career on Dr. Samuels. Good for you. :facepalm:

During direct, Nurmi had her read it out loud, I'll try and go back to find the video of it. It is very, very interesting, if you watch her left hand which is holding a tissue, as she read certain words such a sociopath, she clinches the tissue into a fist at each word that angers her.

Interesting catch! Driver and Glass would be so proud! ;)

KCL & PASA~ You ladies ROCK! Thank you both for your observations--they are priceless.

QUESTION: How does the jury & the media/family gallery react to JW? I have such a visceral negative reaction to her--I'm wondering what she's like in the courtroom.

Honestly I don't think she comes across that strong in either direction. I think she comes across like a rookie and not taking this case all that seriously with her cheeky demeanor.

Juan Martinez owns that courtroom, plain and simple.

I find JW mildly annoying but she's so ineffective in her style and kind of like a mosquito buzzing around, she doesn't bug me, personally, that much. Nurmi much more so because of the way he questioned JA and how SLOW and lumbering his style is...it's like slugging through a swamp with him and mind numbing (and his gratuitous trashing of travis to me is unforgiveable).

Have you noticed how JW often seems amused at even Martinez when he gets all emotional? She GRINS at it...like she's watching a friend play a game of charades on the opposing "team". That's how I see her.

Very upsetting to hear the talking heads criticizing JM ....that he stepped over the line (referring to him accusing DS of having feelings for JA.). Saying that these things that JM is doing doesn't happen in a courtroom showing he is just trying to make a name for himself. They claim the Judge has lost control.
Ryan disagreed but also felt JM stepped over the line.
I watched JM as well and in my eyes he was excellent in showing that Mr Dick was the one who crossed the line in his gift to JA. Mr Dick wasn't even making sense.

KCL, you heard testimony today that JA kicked her mother. Did you also see the next part of the released interrogation video where JA says she kicked her dog and it ran away? I thought this weaves it's way into her statement that Travis had kicked her. She was really speaking to the fact that she had kicked her dog. She also likely killed that dog because she said she never saw it again. I feel in my heart she has a history of abusing others that goes back to childhood. Very dangerous person. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that yesterday was a game changer.

JA went from potential "pacifist" to an adult woman, who's own "compassionate" Psychologist champion, admits she gratuitously kicked her own mother without provocation.

The kicking the dog thing , to the rest of us, was just icing on the cake (wonder if it will come in though somewhere...JM has a lot more to present in rebuttal, remember).

She kicks chairs, dogs and her mother.

She is a violent, evil sociopath who will get what she deserves: the Death Penalty.

PS, Ironically , I JUST saw the front side of this demon's face as that "kicking the mother for no reason" testimony came in and she SMILES. Did you guys see this? Her duping delight? OMG...demon, demon demon.

Very upsetting to hear the talking heads criticizing JM ....that he stepped over the line (referring to him accusing DS of having feelings for JA.). Saying that these things that JM is doing doesn't happen in a courtroom showing he is just trying to make a name for himself. They claim the Judge has lost control.
I watched JM as well and in my eyes he was excellent in showing that Mr Dick was the one who crossed the line in his gift to JA. Mr Dick wasn't even making sense.

Juan Martinez is already a name. He doesn't need to do anything to "make a name for himself". He is outraged at this crime and it shows. I'm relieved and respectful he doesn't hide that. He is championing for TRAVIS and it shows. Someone needs to be outraged for justice.

I didn't find that as a huge deal. He didn't say "you wanted to sleep with Jodi" or "you were gonna leave your wife for her" or "you were infatuated with her". He was sticking consistently with his legit issue that Samuels crossed an ethical boundary (AGAIN) with a client by his opinions being clouded by his "compassion" for her vs an impartial evaluator. I saw it as that, nothing more.

"Feelings" to me, meant his admitted "compassion"/sympathy/interest in her well being.

Simple as that.

Katie!!! You should watch this, if you haven't already!! It is JM speaking at a clemency hearing for Robert Towery and it reminded me a lot of your victim impact statement. It made me love JM even more!

http://youtu.be/lDQuXm505bs

JM starts at 20:50. I tried to get it to start there, but I've never done that before. So, that's the time if it doesn't work right. :)

Bump...

Katie~ Have you seen this? It reminded me so much of your victim impact statement. I thought you'd appreciate what JM has to say about how the focus "flips" to the murderer once the DP is sentenced.

Bump...

Katie~ Have you seen this? It reminded me so much of your victim impact statement. I thought you'd appreciate what JM has to say about how the focus "flips" to the murderer once the DP is sentenced.

I'll watch it when I am a little more awake and emotionally ready for something like that...but thanks! :seeya:

MINUTE ENTRY
The Court has received and reviewed Defendant?s Motion for Protective Order.
IT IS ORDERED setting oral argument on Defendant?s motion for March 27, 2013 at
9:00 a.m. before the Honorable Joseph C. Welty.
cc: Shana Druckerman via email
Beth Karas via email
Paul Matadeen via email

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...3/m5692730.pdf

I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I think this has to do with the release of DT fee information. I believe that's what the lawyers were saying the order of protection is for. Maybe the people from the media who were cc'd are the ones who requested the information.

Just a guess. :) MOO

Funny how all the detractors, the TALKING HEADS are accusing JM of "trying to make a name for himself" when THEY are the ones on television TALKING ABOUT JM. Who's trying to get noticed here? JM's at work--the same job he's done for the last 25 years. He didn't ask for the cameras, and they'll be gone as he wins his next case. Talking Heads are attention w&ores. :twocents:

In my opinion this jury is ready to deliberate. I think they have reached burn-out almost (just a hunch). Do you think that could have a negative outcome on the verdict. I pray that's not the case, but must say ... I'm a little worried.

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to once again thank all of you who share your observations in this trial. tI really provides us a more "real" awareness of things that are going on inside. I love you guys and really appreciate all you do.

C'mon ... you know who you are .... Luv ya xoxoxoxoxo

P.S. ... a little OT here, but I am obviously the worst Googler in the world because I have been searching like heck to find the very first interview that the murderer did on TV (Dateline or 48 Hours) ... I can't seem to come up with it. The link on this site does not work anymore. Can anybody give me a link? Thanks sooooooo much.

Yes this jury might be a bit burnt out. And no I don't believe it will have any negative impact on the verdict...unless you're Jodi Arias of course who at this point is wasting their time with this preposterous and BS defense.

I still believe, as i always have, this jury will convict this murderer for First Degree Murder and sentence her to Death.

I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I think this has to do with the release of DT fee information. I believe that's what the lawyers were saying the order of protection is for. Maybe the people from the media who were cc'd are the ones who requested the information.

Just a guess. :) MOO

I bet you're right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members