Found Safe TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019 #5 *ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bank money he was more than "her gaming buddy who helped her get away from her nasty step-father."
She might have thought that at first, but she will come around to realize the truth of his agenda, if she hasn't already. moo
How does he know that his gaming buddy is really a 14 year old girl being abused by her stepfather and not an agent seeing what he was going to do? Or a guy playing tricks?

I totally agree with all the comments about the defense's response. It was a Defense response and it would naturally be sided towards BR's innocence.

There are definitely inconsistencies between the original complaint and what we saw yesterday, that much I think we can all agree on.

Today's detention hearing will be interesting. I am hopeful that BR's (odd) attempt to assist SLP to get evidence to the FBI is an indication that he was well-intentioned but I respect other's opinions that maybe that wasn't the case.

I am not versed enough in these different laws to understand how much intent plays into this, good or bad.

Here's the thing. Let's say he really thought he was doing the right thing. That his "intent" was noble. The charge only requires that he intends for the child to engage in sexually explicit conduct for the purposes of producing a visual depiction of such conduct. Not that he intended to sell it or get off on it.

But how is that fair if he was only trying to help? Well imagine how many predators could then say, "Listen, I was only trying to help this kid. That's why I told her to record her assault" and lure children to send them such imagery, and get away with it legally?

There is a long discussion by his defense in the memo on intent and most of the case law is related to defendants who engaged in the sex act themselves - rather than orchestrating it from afar. But in all, the intent element of the charge is whether the purpose of the sexual activity is to produce a recording. And here it was.

How does he know that his gaming buddy is really a 14 year old girl being abused by her stepfather and not an agent seeing what he was going to do? Or a guy playing tricks?

How does any predator who gets caught soliciting a minor know, however? There are tons of them who engage in such conduct online despite popular shows like To Catch a Predator.

Here's the thing. Let's say he really thought he was doing the right thing. That his "intent" was noble. The charge only requires that he intends for the child to engage in sexually explicit conduct for the purposes of producing a visual depiction of such conduct. Not that he intended to sell it or get off on it.

But how is that fair if he was only trying to help? Well imagine how many predators could then say, "Listen, I was only trying to help this kid. That's why I told her to record her assault" and lure children to send them such imagery, and get away with it legally?

There is a long discussion by his defense in the memo on intent and most of the case law is related to defendants who engaged in the sex act themselves - rather than orchestrating it from afar. But in all, the intent element of the charge is whether the purpose of the sexual activity is to produce a recording. And here it was.
I fully understand that and agree with everything you've said so eloquently. This is why I believe in the courts and the juries that are used in these trials. Because IMO and IMO only I hope this guy isn't treated QUITE as harshly as the next for the sole reason that I am mightily thankful he got her away from that scum of a stepfather. He's no stepfather....screw him to the wall.

Stranger Offered To Help Teen Raped By Her Dad, Only If She Recorded It
snipped - BBM - not sure if she was home or not, we only know she was the one who answered the door - now that I think about it, she was likely hiding under his direction if he was not home (again, with the fear that his mother may not believe her either if she was not aware he was hiding a child in their home) JMO

Once investigators pinpointed Rogers, they arrived at his home on Jan. 31. He admitted he talked to the girl via Roblox, telling the agents that she confided in him about the sexual assault and had sent him a video, but claimed that he had never traveled to Tennessee and that the girl was not with him, according to the affidavit.

Agents came back four hours later. This time, his mom answered the door.

They told her they needed to search the house - and that's when they found the 14-year-old hiding in a basement closet.

Once arrested, Rogers admitted he asked her to email the video of the "full blown rape" and that once he had it, he drove to Tennessee to pick her up and bring her back, the affidavit says. Rogers admitted he tried to avoid any surveillance on toll roads and smashed her phone so it could not be traced.

The officers found the seven-minute video on his computer.

I was originally trying to ask was his mother home the first time the police went there. Or was she at work and he was the only person at home. And then he left for work leaving her there? And then they came back but we're watching the house the entire time? That's what I was trying to get at

I know, I agree. This would literally open up a pandora's box and maybe set future case precedence.

I have no idea how this will turn out.

And I will admit openly that I really did hope the FBI and evidence attempt gave an indication of good intent but things are not always as they seem.

I hope it's the truth for SLPs sake not my own.

Okay, so after this new information I'm feeling extremely unsettled. So the adoptive "father" killed her dog as a threat? Dang. And when Rogers came and got her, she wrote a long letter about what happened and sent it with an SD card to the FBI? That's an interesting development. It does help answer the question as to why she was afraid to tell other adults-she was concerned for everyone's safety. Poor girl.

Adoptive father who raped teen daughter made sure she feared him by shooting her dog, skinning it & dumping body in yard: Lawyer

Jesus Christ. This girl's life could not have been any more horrific. This man is a monster. I hope he is given the same treatment in prison that he gave to his adopted daughter and her dog.

I'm not sure what to think of BR. Ultimately, as with Jayme, she made it out alive and nothing is more important than that. He's not a hero but he's not exactly a monster. He's just an imbecile IMO. I know that would not have been my reaction to a young girl confiding such a situation in me - far from it. But maybe my reaction - calling the authorities and giving as much information as possible - would have ultimately ended with the father murdering the daughter, and maybe even the whole family. I think it's true, both that BR was wrong and that BR most likely helped save her life (as SLP really did most of the saving herself).

I'm just glad that SLP is alive and her and her siblings are safely away from that monster.

Hopefully this case will prompt lawmakers to increase legal protections available to abused children. Her fear was that her father would be released. She shouldn't have had to have that fear.

I really truly hear what you are saying! I was there after reading the original complaint. Then more information dribbled out to make my thoughts change. Again. To soften my anger at him insisting she video another attack. Which was coming, whether SLP videoed the attack, or not. Think about what she had already faced. About what she continued to face in that house.

That is where I've been since yesterday. Will the court proceedings at 2pm change my view once more? I don't know.

What is compelling to me is the difference in language between coercing her to get and send him a video as the only way for her to be rescued and not sent back, and his comments about running and telling a friend, "hope for the best".

He was very, very intent on getting that video. He is not a stupid man. He had 911 at his fingertips.

Something about his cadence and conversation reminds me SLIGHTLY of that chick who encouraged her boyfriend to commit suicide. Oh there were times that she told him to get help but the manipulative effort was really toward suicide.

And caveat, I know these are two very different cases.

As to the 2:00 p.m. hearing, I see no reason for him not to be released. He does not have a criminal record, does not appear to be a flight risk and I do agree with the defense as to their argument that the conduct here, while being classified as a crime of violence, doesn't fit the parameters.

I think it is possible she sent him photos and at least one other "rape" file as evidenced by the Memorandum filed whereby he says she could run away and show the people you run to the recording - this was before he convinced her to video the rape again (page 8) JMO

By the way do we have any MSM knowledge that the children are being looked after separately from mom? Is it automatic?

I was originally trying to ask was his mother home the first time the police went there. Or was she at work and he was the only person at home. And then he left for work leaving her there? And then they came back but we're watching the house the entire time? That's what I was trying to get at
I know - but we haven't been given that information that I can find - just that BR lied at 4pm and she answered the door the second time at 8pm - he may have been at work, or not? I don't recall reading whether she was home at 4 or if he was home at 8....My personal guess? She was at work at 4 and he was home. He may have been at work at 8 - but they arrested him that night - January 31. IIRC 8:30pm or so?
Prosecutors: Man asked for video of Tennessee teen’s rape before taking her to Wisconsin

Jesus Christ. This girl's life could not have been any more horrific. This man is a monster. I hope he is given the same treatment in prison that he gave to his adopted daughter and her dog.

I'm not sure what to think of BR. Ultimately, as with Jayme, she made it out alive and nothing is more important than that. He's not a hero but he's not exactly a monster. He's just an imbecile IMO. I know that would not have been my reaction to a young girl confiding such a situation in me - far from it. But maybe my reaction - calling the authorities and giving as much information as possible - would have ultimately ended with the father murdering the daughter, and maybe even the whole family. I think it's true, both that BR was wrong and that BR most likely helped save her life (as SLP really did most of the saving herself).

I'm just glad that SLP is alive and her and her siblings are safely away from that monster.

Hopefully this case will prompt lawmakers to increase legal protections available to abused children. Her fear was that her father would be released. She shouldn't have had to have that fear.

How is he an imbecile? He got into and graduated with a degree from a good college. He demonstrated knowledge of forensics (get a rape kit done) and knew he could get in trouble for "harboring". He knows what 911 is.

In that same state Toby Willis was charged with four counts of rape without any video evidence. Plenty of people are all across the nation. And BR had it in writing, straight form the child herself.

I read the defense memo. Unlike the majority, I do not see this man as a "misguided" hero, although his actions did lead to evidence being generated. Why?

1. What 31 year old converses online with a minor child? I have a major problem with that. They had multiple conversations. Clearly she had developed a trust or friendship with this 31 year old adult in order to get to the point she was willing to reveal abuse to him and beg him for help. What adult man is having such indepth conversations with a minor child on the internet?

2. Yes. He suggested a couple other options in the conversation the defense laid out. But he didn't press those extremely viable options. Like going to the hospital to get a rape kit. He didn't urge her to do so and reassure her that with her word and her rapists' DNA inside her, she'd be rescued by police. To me, he suggested them as other options but he didn't seem serious about those options. He didn't cycle back to them. When she begged for help he didn't continually tell her she'd be safe with those options. What he really pressed was video evidence. He really wanted that video.

3. There was audio that, when coupled with her own words, would've been quite enough for her to go to the police and be rescued. He continued to insist on VIDEO.

4. After receiving the video, he didn't simply call the authorities. "Hey, this child sent me this video of her being raped." He didn't immediately call 911. He told her he wouldn't be in trouble for picking her up if she made a video with evidence. And once she made it, he picked her up. However, that shows he believed it was viable evidence. And it shows he believed that the presence of the video would protect him from legal trouble. In other words, he didn't know asking her to make it would be illegal if he could show he was doing it to help get evidence. So he had no reason not to call 911 immediately and give them what he had gotten her to produce.

5. After receiving the video, he picked her up and took her out of state. He has ZERO reason not to drive her to a local LE department immediately, with the video. Instead, he took her across state lines.

6. He waited over 10 days to send the evidence to LE while harboring this minor in his mother's basement. Why?

7. What's this about him saying the video was too blurry?

I find his actions quite suspect. I don't think he deserves a medal for not sexually assaulting her for the days he had her. He could've been quite happy with just the video e got her to generate. He could've been working up to further exploitation.

If he was an 18 or 19 year old young man his actions might be more excusable to me because they're still at that age when there's this magical divide between adults and kids. Where adults and authorities aren't totally trusted.

But this is a 31 year old man conversing with a minor child online for a lengthy time period and insisting she generate child *advertiser censored* before he can help her.

The reaction here and the fact that he appears not to have assaulted her makes me believe he might indeed prevail in mitigating the charge. But I believe the charge was and is viable and necessary.

Just think of the sordid avenues we would be opening up to child sexual exploitation if a defense to encouraging a child to video and send an adult a recording of herself being assaulted, would be viable, under the auspicies of trying to "gather evidence".

I believe the charge is merited.

Finally, I think @MsFacetious mentioned a kidnapping charge would probably be dropped against BR. I didn't see any kidnapping charge. Only one charge - child exploitation. Am I wrong?
Great break down, thanks for your insight.

I know - but we haven't been given that information that I can find - just that BR lied at 4pm and she answered the door the second time at 8pm - he may have been at work, or not? I don't recall reading whether she was home at 4 or if he was home at 8....My personal guess? She was at work at 4 and he was home. He may have been at work at 8 - but they arrested him that night - January 31. IIRC 8:30pm or so?
Prosecutors: Man asked for video of Tennessee teen’s rape before taking her to Wisconsin

Yes, that night, he was arrested at work. I do not have the link but that has been discussed before. So the second time they came, only the mother was home. I was referring to the first time.

I think one potentially significant note from the document was that when BR lied initially about SP being in the home, he and SP did not know that RP had been arrested, “presumably (exact word used iirc) because of their package”.

So what date was the initial PC I wonder. I’d like to compare this to our timeline now as we know it — how much did the FBI know at the time of the PC? And did they keep local LE in the loop? Iirc Missouri had not been named yet but they did say “4 States” (we were trying to figure out the 4th State).

So had they already received the “package” at the time of that PC?

Last edited:
Per the defense filing, he attended Madison College, a community college, and transferred to UW. Often it is easier to get into a selective university by transferring in. [Case in point, my sister managed to transfer in to University of Michigan View attachment 168821] I
wouldn't make the assumption that he's a genius.

But I wouldn't make the assumption that he's an imbecile. His own conversation with the child he lured into making a *advertiser censored* tape as the "only" way to rescue her and prevent her from being returned to her father, shows that.

I have been thinking about this as best I can from SP's perspective not mine.

It has been suggested that she should have gone to the hospital, told them what happened and asked for a rape kit. I cannot find a hospital in Madisonville, there is one in Sweetwater and in Athens but none listed in Madisonville. Besides, are we expecting her to get up off that bed, literally, pull herself together, leave the house on foot and WALK toward Madisonville, not knowing where she is going? She was moved from Georgia and kept isolated on that farm outside of town. And, she was scared to death of her parents.

It has been suggested that she tell her friends. She had no friends in Tennessee, they were all back in Georgia. She had been on that farm for approximately a month, had not attended school. She was isolated. Where would she make friends?

Some of the solutions or "what she should have done" or what BDR should have done are from folks like me sitting in my safe living room. I haven't walked in her shoes or his either for that matter so I am going to look at this through a more positive lense.

And, I fully expected to get pounded for this point of view. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa