IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 #2*ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens next??? If JS refuses to speak with police? Can he do that? And will they continue with the Grand Jury, just wait it out, or drop the case?
He absolutely can refuse to speak with police, and I fully expect that he will continue to refuse.

The DA will build this case without his help, as he is now the focus of it.

The grand jury will convene, and decide if he should be charged with a crime, and what those charges are.

I understand what you’re getting at, but I could make a case the other way as well.

Until we have more information, I’m going to think of him as an unwitting participant in this.

All over the US there is a slogan: Friends don't let friends drive drunk! In Chicago: Friends don't let Friends walk alone at @2 AM on the streets!

It is not true that it's more often than not. Hate crimes occur regularly. It's a sad fact that they occur in our nation. And have for centuries.

There have been several hoaxes. Hoaxes by people claiming hate crimes and/or claiming black people have harmed them.

There are some very weird, attention seekers in the world.

I think it's important to approach these cases with logic. Nothing seemed logical with this story from the get go.

I'm sure LE knew that immediately.
Actually it's easier to find lists of hoax/fake/wrongly claimed hate crimes than real hate crimes. There have been hundreds of hoaxes and fakes. ABC has a good article on it Are fake hate crimes on the rise? I really like the last paragraph on the dumbing down of the consumer.

All over the US there is a slogan: Friends don't let friends drive drunk! In Chicago: Friends don't let Friends walk alone at @2 AM on the streets!

So true! And going out for Subway?! Seriously? Okay, an Italian Beef, yes, Red Hot with Chili, yes, Gyro, definitely. Subway? WTH? No way. I would stay home and eat Ramen. Or Grub Hub.

That lame story is what nailed him.

I don't believe that. It seems to me, more and more, that fake hate crimes are on the rise. I can think of several in recent history.

1. Hate crime hoax at military academy, where a cadet spray painted racial slurs.
2. Hate crime hoax at university, where a student created hysteria with letters threatening minority students.
3. Hate crime hoax, young Muslim woman stated that she was attacked and her head scarf stolen.

These crimes get huge coverage, and they fizzle out when discovered to be hoaxes. Time to end this unnecessary drama, with mandatory sentences. Prison. So that they are considered serious criminal behavior. Not written off as a mental health condition. It is planned, deliberate, and meant to create Social problems.

That's anecdote not math.

The reality is that these crimes are numerous and real. Some just don't want to believe that.

But hoaxes are going to be obvious. Most hate crimes don't make major news because the victims aren't trying to get notoriety. But hoaxes always will because attention for whatever reason is exactly what those weirdos want. They will make very sure the media - and not just LE- will hear about it. So it can seem skewed.

I understand what you’re getting at, but I could make a case the other way as well.

Until we have more information, I’m going to think of him as an unwitting participant in this.

I'm watching how other higher ups with Empire are reacting, like they don't really seem that interested in solving the recent terrorism they were subjected to with the letter that resulted in the FBI and HAZMAT showing up. You'd think they'd want an act of domestic terrorism fully investigated and to encourage anyone who may have information about it to come forward. Also Frank would have been subjected to the domestic terrorism that terrorized the set while naming JS specifically or at least be very well aware of it, which would be also would be another reason to question what Frank was doing and why Empire isn't actively encouraging JS to speak to LE ASAP. You'd think they'd be publicly threatening to fire anyone in their employ who was determined to be involved in the terrorist letter sent to the Empire set and say they would press charges to the fullest extent of the law.

It is not true that it's more often than not. Hate crimes occur regularly. It's a sad fact that they occur in our nation. And have for centuries.

There have been several hoaxes. Hoaxes by people claiming hate crimes and/or claiming black people have harmed them.

There are some very weird, attention seekers in the world.

I think it's important to approach these cases with logic. Nothing seemed logical with this story from the get go.

I'm sure LE knew that immediately.
Its hard to tell the motive- seeking attention or advancing a cause/narrative?

Logic protects you from the drama and irrational fear some people seem to enjoy.

So true! And going out for Subway?! Seriously? Okay, an Italian Beef, yes, Red Hot with Chili, yes, Gyro, definitely. Subway? WTH? No way. I would stay home and eat Ramen. Or Grub Hub.

That lame story is what nailed him.

I couldn't believe he go out in subzero weather at 2 AM for Subway even before I found out he just got back from a cross-country flight and had a multi-hour flight delay as well.

Actually it's easier to find lists of hoax/fake/wrongly claimed hate crimes than real hate crimes. There have been hundreds of hoaxes and fakes. ABC has a good article on it Are fake hate crimes on the rise? I really like the last paragraph on the dumbing down of the consumer.
Yes, it is far easier to find lists of fake hate crimes, as there are people and organizations that track that sort of thing.

The fact remains, most are true, and the actual number of hate crimes is much higher than even FBI statistics state.

This is because the FBI relies on reporting from local law enforcement agencies, that categorize and investigate hate crimes inconsistently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...hate-crimes-last-year-it-undercounted-by-lot/

The reality is that these crimes are numerous and real. Some just don't want to believe that.

But hoaxes are going to be obvious. Most hate crimes don't make major news because the victims aren't trying to get notoriety. But hoaxes always will because attention for whatever reason is exactly what those weirdos want. They will make very sure the media - and not just LE- will hear about it. So it can seem skewed.
Technical term: Availability bias

People overestimate the probability of events they can more readily access in their memory. Hoaxs make the news

I'm watching how other higher ups with Empire are reacting, like they don't really seem that interested in solving the recent terrorism they were subjected to with the letter that resulted in the FBI and HAZMAT showing up. You'd think they'd want an act of domestic terrorism fully investigated and to encourage anyone who may have information about it to come forward. Also Frank would have been subjected to the domestic terrorism that terrorized the set while naming JS specifically or at least be very well aware of it, which would be also would be another reason to question what Frank was doing and why Empire isn't actively encouraging JS to speak to LE ASAP. You'd think they'd be publicly threatening to fire anyone in their employ who was determined to be involved in the terrorist letter sent to the Empire set and say they would press charges to the fullest extent of the law.
It’s not their job to investigate it, that falls to the FBI.

Once there is clarity here, the network will take action against anyone that was involved.

They can’t fire people without cause, and legally they are compelled to wait for hard evidence.

There’s no rush.

I agree totally. More crimes are being reported, as more are being investigated. Also with 24 hour news cycles to fill the news these stories are reported again and again every 30 minutes. All with the "Breaking News" banner. In a case such as this there is a lot of egg for a lot of faces who jumped on board of the story. Now the focus is on the damage done to the REAL victims of hate crimes and other violence. To me the thing that really sticks out in cases such as this is that they really don't get it right because if you have not gone through it yourself, you can't fake the trauma it causes, especially at first. I know victims who have literally never left their homes since being attacked.

JMO

Last edited:

That's very true. Because the people who create hoaxes need to be public victims or there's no reason to do it. Real victims will go to the police but don't need to go public all the time.

Yes, it is far easier to find lists of fake hate crimes, as there are people and organizations that track that sort of thing.

The fact remains, most are true, and the actual number of hate crimes is much higher than even FBI statistics state.

This is because the FBI relies on reporting from local law enforcement agencies, that categorize and investigate hate crimes inconsistently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...hate-crimes-last-year-it-undercounted-by-lot/
How do we know that when the FBI doesn't keep track of fake hate crimes? Since a "hate crime" is in essence a "thought crime", how do we know what's a hate crime and what isn't a hate crime? On top of it all, the term "hate crime" seems to imply that every other crime is a crime of love or indifference.

I agree totally. More crimes are being reported, as more are being investigated. Also with 24 hour news cycles to fill the news these stories are reported again and again every 30 minutes. All with the "Breaking News" banner. In a case such as this there is a lot of egg for a lot of faces who jumped on board of the story. Now the focus is on the damage done to the REAL victims of hate crimes and other violence. To me the thing that really sticks out in cases such as this is that they really don't get it right because if you have not gone through it yourself, you can fake the trauma it causes, especially at first. I know victims who have literally never left their homes since being attacked.

JMO

What's weird about this story is how improbable it seemed from the outset and no one reporter the oddities of it. It was obvious to me from the first article. Made no sense.

It's truly embarrassing. Or should be!

What's weird about this story is how improbable it seemed from the outset and no one reporter the oddities of it. It was obvious to me from the first article. Made no sense.

It's truly embarrassing. Or should be!
I don't know journalism, but I wonder if it's a combination of a) wanting to be the first to report, b) realizing that being the first also means you have incomplete info and might be wrong c) natural inclination to extend compassion and benefit of the doubt to someone claiming to be a victim and d) fear of looking like you are minimizing an actual crime/victim blaming.<modsnipped leave race out of the discussion>

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thinking.....so CPD seizes full black face masks from brothers' apt. And a red cap. How ridiculously stupid would that be and look to have the red baseball type cap on top ! of the full face hat mask! in light of a real robber/criminal trying to hide their identity from the victim! o_O
I believe the cap is usually worn under the hoodie, you only see the brim of the ball cap. (hence one does not need the true patriot hat, just something with the red brim). That's how the behooded ones that I see late at night wear them on cold nights. There's a picture of the black masks that the brothers sold through the mail, IDK if they still sell them but the face isn't totally covered. It looked like there was a drawstring that could be pulled to cover more skin.

Yep.

Posted the still from 0:59 yesterday.
Link Delete By Me
I wonder how many "views" his music video has gotten since this fiasco was reported. I refuse to be one of them. After all that's what he's after. Everyone is just playing right into it. He's proving that bad behavior DOES pay.

JMO

ETA: nothing new: Behooded is my new word of the week! How funny!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member