Found Deceased VA - Noah Tomlin, 2, Hampton, 24 June 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kiahnna Patterson‏Verified account @KPattersonWAVY

DEVELOPING: It’s been more than 48 hours since 2YO Noah Tomlin was reported missing. #Hampton Police will “expand” the search for Noah beyond the Buckroe Beach area. Officers say his parents voluntarily stayed for questioning with investigators.

D9-warVWkAAXNms.jpg

Kiahnna Patterson on Twitter

This case may turn out differently from the other sad ones we have followed, but I have a question/concern.
All types of LE personnel have been and are still knocking on doors, guiding drones, slogging through estuaries, wading in water, coordinating all of this, answering phones, making notes, investigating the parents and perhaps neighbors, out-of-towners are flying or driving to the site and sleeping nearby somewhere, all these people need to be fed, etc., etc. And SAR groups don't charge fees, but they do have traveling, meals and hotel expenses. Ultimately the taxpayers pay some of these expenses (local LE and state LE and FBI) -- about which I am not complaining, because it has to be done and it saves precious lives in some cases -- but what about false reporting of a lost child? These efforts cost the same amount of money for all these things. When it turns out to be a hoax, I guess the funds to finance this are paid the same way.
Does anyone know anything different WRT people lying about a disappearance, and bearing none of the expenses? Are they charged anything at all to help LE recoup its expenses? Could it be included in sentencing if they are convicted of falsely reporting a crime and possibly murder?
Just wondering...

My SAR team is 100% volunteer and 100% self-supported. We get money from membership dues, individual and corporate donations. Zero taxpayer dollars. We volunteers take care of our own meals, unless an auxiliary or church group steps up during a big search and serves food, which happens. Hotels? Sometimes the group will cover, or work something out with a local hotel, depending on the situation. More often, we're sleeping in our uniforms in fire stations, armories or in our cars. If it's wilderness, we might have a place for a tent. We pay 100% for our own personal equipment, and the team pays for some expensive shared rescue and training equipment. I just wanted to paint that picture for you -- not all SAR groups cost taxpayer dollars, and all volunteer groups that I know of in the mid-Atlantic are structured this way.

And yes, I do take it personally when these resources are squandered because someone didn't tell the truth about how someone ended up missing. When dozens of SAR volunteers abandon their jobs, spend gas/food/lodging money and risk their lives to find a kid for several days, only to find that the parent disposed of the child, or something similar, yes, I take it personally. I know I'm not supposed to -- I volunteered for this, it's part of the reality of the service that we provide, but I do. And yes, I would support something in sentencing to repay those agencies and volunteers.

Has anyone ever run statistics on resolved cases here? I'd really like to see the percentage of cases where the responsible party is the one who reported the victim(s) missing, vs outsiders and unknown.

Sorry, rant over.

Last edited:
This case is such a mess. They all are. I feel like it could go in any direction. If mom had a habit of neglect and foul-ups, and something happened that resulted in a disposal, that wouldn't surprise me. If mom was just out cold and someone else took him, that wouldn't surprise me either. What WOULD surprise me is if he left his house on his own sometime between "bedtime" and "reporting time" and NOBODY saw him and reported it. That's just unlikely. Its summer by the beach, people are out and about. Based on the refocus, trash suspension and landfill discussion, it's looking more and more like disposal is the prevailing LE theory.

My SAR team is 100% volunteer and 100% self-supported. We get money from membership dues, individual and corporate donations. Zero taxpayer dollars. We volunteers take care of our own meals, unless an auxiliary or church group steps up during a big search and serves food, which happens. Hotels? Sometimes the group will cover, or work something out with a local hotel, depending on the situation. More often, we're sleeping in our uniforms in fire stations, armories or in our cars. If it's wilderness, we might have a place for a tent. We pay 100% for our own personal equipment, and the team pays for some expensive shared rescue and training equipment. I just wanted to paint that picture for you -- not all SAR groups cost taxpayer dollars, and all volunteer groups that I know of in the mid-Atlantic are structured this way.

And yes, I do take it personally when these resources are squandered because someone didn't tell the truth about how someone ended up missing. When dozens of SAR volunteers abandon their jobs, spend gas/food/lodging money and risk their lives to find a kid for several days, only to find that the parent disposed of the child, or something similar, yes, I take it personally. I know I'm not supposed to -- I volunteered for this, it's part of the reality of the service that we provide, but I do. And yes, I would support something in sentencing to repay those agencies and volunteers.

Has anyone ever run statistics on resolved cases here? I'd really like to see the percentage of cases where the responsible party is the one who reported the victim(s) missing, vs outsiders and unknown.

Sorry, rant over.

O/T - I just want to say you are much appreciated as a member of SAR, thank you for all the hard work you do/continue to do.

This case is such a mess. They all are. I feel like it could go in any direction. If mom had a habit of neglect and foul-ups, and something happened that resulted in a disposal, that wouldn't surprise me. If mom was just out cold and someone else took him, that wouldn't surprise me either. What WOULD surprise me is if he left his house on his own sometime between "bedtime" and "reporting time" and NOBODY saw him and reported it. That's just unlikely. Its summer by the beach, people are out and about. Based on the refocus, trash suspension and landfill discussion, it's looking more and more like disposal is the prevailing LE theory.

What a great comment, I totally agree!

Whenever these kids go missing i always give the benefit of the doubt to the parents...for the first 48 hours or so. After that its just (in my mind only) not plausible that someone somewhere would see an unsupervised child.

I always want to believe that a parent couldn't do this but I just can't logic anything other than they are searching for a body.

I can agree with the going to bed at 1am, kids that age aren't always the best sleepers. But I can't understand how she didn't check on him until after 11. With other kids in the house no way one of the others wasn't up before that time...especially the 6 month old who surely would of been up for a feeding between 1am-11:30.

She would of been more believable to me had she stated she went to check on Noah early a.m after feeding the infant and noticed then that he was missing.

Sorry, rant over.

Thank you for your volunteer service and dedication!!!!

I live in the mid Atlantic region, we could not survive without volunteer Rescue,Fire,SAR,Drive Teams, sorry for the ones I missed.

The folks that serve give time, money, do fun raisers, pay for their own training and certifications. I praise and admire all that give of themselves to volunteer!!!!

Last edited:
What a great comment, I totally agree!

Whenever these kids go missing i always give the benefit of the doubt to the parents...for the first 48 hours or so. After that its just (in my mind only) not plausible that someone somewhere would see an unsupervised child.

I always want to believe that a parent couldn't do this but I just can't logic anything other than they are searching for a body.

I can agree with the going to bed at 1am, kids that age aren't always the best sleepers. But I can't understand how she didn't check on him until after 11. With other kids in the house no way one of the others wasn't up before that time...especially the 6 month old who surely would of been up for a feeding between 1am-11:30.

She would of been more believable to me had she stated she went to check on Noah early a.m after feeding the infant and noticed then that he was missing.

That’s 10 hours, surely the infant had needs during this period and would have cried out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard