Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Memorial Day is approaching and public/community pools are posting they will be opening. How do you social distance at a pool? Do you give each person a square?
Limit the number of people? Wear a face mask and not put your head under water?
And how do you tell kids to keep 6-10 feet apart in a pool?
Public pools often have lanes in them so they could easily only allow use of alternate lanes and limit numbers and time in the pool. Won't help young kids who cannot swim and just want to splash about. Maybe the square idea in a small pool for non swimmers. I am sure they are working it out as we are discussing it. They already have senior hours and/or set times for school kids, early hours for serious swimmers etc. The water is already chlorinated so I don't see a big problem.

How? You keep your own kids safe at home. They may be really be angry now, but they will appreciate your concerns when they become adults.
Similar to when I was a kid and my mother wouldn’t allow us to ride our bikes on a dangerous highway. We would argue that other kids we knew were allowed to, and mom would say, “I’m sorry that their parents don’t care about them as much as I care about YOU.”

Public pools often have lanes in them so they could easily only allow use of alternate lanes and limit numbers and time in the pool. Won't help young kids who cannot swim and just want to splash about. Maybe the square idea in a small pool for non swimmers. I am sure they are working it out as we are discussing it. They already have senior hours and/or set times for school kids, early hours for serious swimmers etc. The water is already chlorinated so I don't see a big problem.
From my understanding of announcement in my city, NYC, the pools will not be open due to budget cuts.

I really wish they'd find money to keep them open. I'm fine with them closed even though my husband and I both do lap swimming, but families with kids and teens enduring the summer without camps, playgrounds, beaches, and pools....well, I feel for them, big time.

jmo

The actual water isn’t the problem IMO since it is chlorinated. My issue would be d everything else that is being touched: gate handles, pool toys, noodles, blow up balls and rafts, pool chairs, towels, as well as everything in the restrooms and locker rooms.

So it’s ok to go to a public pool and interact with unknown other people, touch common items, share water via mouth/eyes/etc.
No lanes in the community pool or the public pool near me. The lap swimmers go to the indoor pool with lanes (swim teams have this one blocked out most of the time)
The neighborhood/community are more for families to congregate and let the kids splash and play.
Sounds worse than going to the grocery store.

Last edited:
Small study on early symptoms of COVID-19 in children, needs further research

Coronavirus infection in children may not start with a cough: researchers
I think that what is happening in the children's cases is terrifying. There are those who tested positive and there were others who have the antibodies - with that, we would assume they had recovered from Covid- but obviously not! The symptoms and seemingly cause of death sound horrific. The different symptoms which occur in different individuals is what is most strange. 1 man in the UK suffered 3 strokes before succumbing to a heart attack. It brings organ failure for some people, pneumonia for others and now the poor kids are experiencing a wide range of very serious symptoms. The sooner the experts can suss this virus out, the better for everybody! X

So it’s ok to go to a public pool and interact with unknown other people, touch common items, share water via mouth/eyes/etc.
No lanes in the community pool or the public pool near me. The lap swimmers go to the indoor pool with lanes (swim teams have this one blocked out most of the time)
The neighborhood/community are more for families to congregate and let the kids splash and play.
Sounds worse than going to the grocery store.

A lot worse than going to the grocery store

https://www.cbc.ca/news/covid-questions-answered-dogs-detect-1.5566499
May 13 2020
''Dogs have long been used to help detect diseases, like cancer and Parkinson's disease, through scent. Richard A. wonders if they can be trained to detect COVID-19.

There's no definitive answer, but university researchers are studying whether it's possible.

The veterinary school at the University of Pennsylvania is trying to train dogs to sniff out COVID-19 by detecting low concentrations of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), found in human saliva, blood, urine and on breath.

"The potential impact of these dogs and their capacity to detect COVID-19 could be substantial," said Dr. Cynthia Otto, director of Penn Vet Working Dog Center in a news release.

"This study will harness the dog's extraordinary ability to support the nation's COVID-19 surveillance systems, with the goal of reducing community spread."

It's hoped the dogs will help quickly test large groups of people — including asymptomatic carriers of the virus, and especially in environments like office buildings and hospitals.

The centre says the dogs could be ready for preliminary screening of humans as early as July.''

"One of the key things about training dogs to detect [COVID-19] is how quickly you can deploy them," Ferguson said. "Dogs may be the easiest and quickest way to get some level of classification happening."

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) are issuing this announcement to raise awareness of the threat to COVID-19-related research. The FBI is investigating the targeting and compromise of U.S. organizations conducting COVID-19-related research by PRC-affiliated cyber actors and non-traditional collectors. These actors have been observed attempting to identify and illicitly obtain valuable intellectual property (IP) and public health data related to vaccines, treatments, and testing from networks and personnel affiliated with COVID-19-related research. The potential theft of this information jeopardizes the delivery of secure, effective, and efficient treatment options.
https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/...COVID-19_Research_Organizations_S508C.pdf.pdf

FBI-CISA PSA PRC Targeting of COVID-19 Research Organizations | CISA
Snip from announcement:
RECOMMENDATIONS
• Assume that press attention affiliating your organization with COVID-19 related research will lead to increased interest and cyber activity.
• Patch all systems for critical vulnerabilities, prioritizing timely patching for known vulnerabilities of internet-connected servers and software processing internet data.
• Actively scan web applications for unauthorized access, modification, or anomalous activities.
• Improve credential requirements and require multi-factor authentication.
• Identify and suspend access of users exhibiting unusual activity.
VICTIM REPORTING AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The FBI encourages victims to report information concerning suspicious or criminal activity to their local field office (www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field). For additional assistance and best practices, such as cyber hygiene vulnerability scanning, please visit Coronavirus | CISA.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) are issuing this announcement to raise awareness of the threat to COVID-19-related research. The FBI is investigating the targeting and compromise of U.S. organizations conducting COVID-19-related research by PRC-affiliated cyber actors and non-traditional collectors. These actors have been observed attempting to identify and illicitly obtain valuable intellectual property (IP) and public health data related to vaccines, treatments, and testing from networks and personnel affiliated with COVID-19-related research. The potential theft of this information jeopardizes the delivery of secure, effective, and efficient treatment options.
https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/...COVID-19_Research_Organizations_S508C.pdf.pdf

FBI-CISA PSA PRC Targeting of COVID-19 Research Organizations | CISA
Ouch, cuts like a knife!

What about the pneumonia vaccination? Could that help protect those vulnerable to CV19? I have not heard much mentioned about that.
Myth busters
''Do vaccines against pneumonia protect you against the new coronavirus?
No. Vaccines against pneumonia, such as pneumococcal vaccine and Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib) vaccine, do not provide protection against the new coronavirus.

The virus is so new and different that it needs its own vaccine. Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine against 2019-nCoV, and WHO is supporting their efforts.

Although these vaccines are not effective against 2019-nCoV, vaccination against respiratory illnesses is highly recommended to protect your health.''

I thought this lengthy article/video of May 12, 2020 was interesting from Dr. Sanjay Gupta

Antibody tests are also plagued by error. Just like the diagnostic tests, "antibody tests haven't been as accurate as they need to be," Gupta said. By their very nature, such tests can easily produce both false negatives and positives.

Why a positive Covid-19 antibody test doesn't mean much of anything yet - CNN

Interesting, thank you! I definitely wonder about the antibody testing accuracy

Another report from my state, which has now been released from the stay at home order starting when it expires on Friday. Tonight we went to a different restuarant/bar that claimed to be following the CDC guidelines re masking. I didn't want to go, but I was overruled :) When we got there, there were about 15 people in the bar area, and none of them had masks and there was no "social distancing." In fact, there was a couple holding hands, hugging, etc. and standing extremely close and chatting to an elderly man drinking a martini.

The only person I saw wearing a mask was our waitress. And she only wore one when she served the food. No gloves, no disposable/internet menus, no "sanitizing" - just a typical wipe down of the table, although the smell of disinfectant was stronger than usual. Way less crowded than the restuarant we went to last night which advertised its no-mask policy. But that may be because the place we went to tonight is relatively new, having had the misfortune of opening a month or two before all the drama.

I also got an email saying that my gym/spa/salon is opening Friday or Saturday, and I understand that public pools and theaters will be open, as well. I guess people will start having to come back to work soon, too (or not).
I love getting reports from other areas. I will share what I have seen in my area (west coast, central Florida). I have only been out on a few occasions to Winn Dixie (groceries), and CVS. In those stores, most people were wearing masks and adhering to social distancing guidelines. All workers were wearing masks, and there were dividers in place at all registers. I also was surprised to see containers full of hand sanitizer near the registers at CVS.

The Doctors and Scientists are going push for a prolonged lockdown.

The economists are going to argue for a vital ramping up of businesses and restaurants, etc.

It is the President's job to find a balance between the two. I think he is doing a good job trying to find the way to do that effectively and safely. JMO

Most economists are staying neutral in terms of advocating anything at all. Economists don't usually recommend anything - at least not the professional ones. They simply tell us what will happen under various conditions.

The economists in the UC system and at Stanford, for example, are not at all arguing for ramping up businesses and restaurants, but instead talking about new models for economies that are not based on those things and are better able to withstand future pandemics or other disasters.

Economists, for example, have stated that information can be as valuable or more valuable than profits from businesses, in gauging the health of an economy. Economists have also argued, for a long time, that societies that base their decision making on the health of businesses may not be healthy economies. Particularly in Europe, the idea that pyramid-shaped economic structures, where GDP and similar are used to measure economic health and the bulk of people are at the bottom of the production structure, can be transformed into circular economies that would diminish production, cut down on consumption, spew less CO2 into the environment, etc.

But I don't know a single economist who is stepping into the CoVid fray and saying restaurants should open. Those are business people, Chambers of Commerce and other non-academics who want their own lives back.

MOO.

Another report from my state, which has now been released from the stay at home order starting when it expires on Friday. Tonight we went to a different restuarant/bar that claimed to be following the CDC guidelines re masking. I didn't want to go, but I was overruled :) When we got there, there were about 15 people in the bar area, and none of them had masks and there was no "social distancing." In fact, there was a couple holding hands, hugging, etc. and standing extremely close and chatting to an elderly man drinking a martini.

The only person I saw wearing a mask was our waitress. And she only wore one when she served the food. No gloves, no disposable/internet menus, no "sanitizing" - just a typical wipe down of the table, although the smell of disinfectant was stronger than usual. Way less crowded than the restuarant we went to last night which advertised its no-mask policy. But that may be because the place we went to tonight is relatively new, having had the misfortune of opening a month or two before all the drama.

I also got an email saying that my gym/spa/salon is opening Friday or Saturday, and I understand that public pools and theaters will be open, as well. I guess people will start having to come back to work soon, too (or not).
I love getting reports from other areas. I will share what I have seen in my area (west coast, central Florida). I have only been out on a few occasions to Winn Dixie (groceries), and CVS. In those stores, most people were wearing masks and adhering to social distancing guidelines. All workers were wearing masks, and there were dividers in place at all registers. I also was surprised to see containers full of hand sanitizer near the registers at CVS.
Hey! Andrew Cuomo has an ASL interpreter today. I hadn't dawned on me he hasn't had one for the past 2 months!
Good for him!
Moo
Yes, I saw that he was ordered to have one. MOO

Iowa numbers today. We will see what she say in her p.c. today about what else is going to open up here. May 13: State reports 17 additional COVID-19 deaths in Iowa, 377 more cases
377 new confirmed cases (reported from 12:00 a.m.-11:59 p.m. yesterday) and another 17 have passed away. We now have a total of 13,289 confirmed cases (5,954 recovered) and 306 have passed away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard