UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha oh I agree that websleuthers are well above average and I love it! I’m in the US. Libby’s case brought me here when it popped up in my Google news suggestions, though I have no idea why it did. I plan to get verified once my internship is over. I didn’t feel right (and don’t know if it’s even possible) doing it before then :)

Welcome :) interesting new input, thank you.

Are you very familiar with the UK judicial system? It does differ significantly to the American system.

Welcome :) interesting new input, thank you.

Are you very familiar with the UK judicial system? It does differ significantly to the American system.

I’m not super familiar with it, but I did make sure that what I spoke on (and clarified IMO) was the same. There are certainly differences and even the language used here for normal things (car park, ten foot, etc) has been a learning curve

Wanted to add that even though I’m a newer poster, Libby’s case brought me here about two days after she went missing and I’ve followed along through all of threads :)

Okay - this will be the last posting for me, as I'll be having surgery on Wed., and will need to check in the hospital tomorrow. I will catch up on "maybe" Friday when I get back - hopefully! The trial will probably be over by then - and hopefully a guilty verdict!

Monday, January 25th:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 10:30am UK) – UK – Liberty “Libby” Anna Squire (21) (last seen Jan. 31, 2019 outside Welly Club in Hull; found Mar. 20, 2019 from Grimsby Docks in the Humber Estuary) - *Pawel P. Relowicz (24/now 25) arrested (Feb. 6, 2019 on suspicion of abduction) officially charged (Oct. 30, 2019) with murder & rape. No plea entered yet. Not guilty plea entered on Jan. 12, 2021. Trial began on Jan. 12, 2021. Trial will be in Sheffield. Richard Wright QC will lead, Mr. Woolfall prosecutor. Oliver Saxby QC for defense. Trial expected to last 6 weeks. Jury: 5 men & 7 women.
Was originally charged (18/3/19 & 10/5/19) with 5 counts of burglary, 4 counts of voyeurism, 3 counts of outraging public decency & 1 count of receiving stolen goods. On Aug. 12, 2019 plead guilty to 9 charges including voyeurism (4 counts), outraging public decency (2 counts) & burglary (3 counts). Relowicz jailed for eight & a half years.

Trial Day 1-6 (12/1 - 22/1/21) reference post #4 here:

Jan. 22nd Friday, Trial Day 6: Professor Charles Deakin is to give evidence on how the cold and alcohol may have affected Libby. Professor Deakin is a consultant in intensive care and will give live evidence via video link (#20) here:
Questions Prof Deakin asked to explore plus more (#23, #24, #28, #30, #32, #36, #38 & #39) here:
Prof Deakin asked whether Libby could safely find her way home? Prof. Deakin was cross-examined by defence barrister Oliver Saxby QC (#46) here:
Relowicz gives no comment interviews after denial statement. Relowicz was re-interviewed on August 21, 2019 & Richard Woolfall QC outlined police interviews with Relowicz. The interview lasted for one hour & 21 minutes (#73, #74). Relowicz called burglary & voyeurism charges 'silly' when arrested. The prosecution went through the voyeurism, outraging public decency & burglary offences he committed (#78); Voyeurism victim statement read out (#80) here:
Next came a burglary between July 29 & August 1, 2017 in Chester Avenue. Relowicz broke into a woman’s home at night & stole some property & more burglaries/voyeurism (#85, #86 & #88) here:
More details of Relowicz's previous crimes being heard (#128, #129,#133, #135, #138, #139) here:
Nicola Taylor gave evidence. She has worked as a forensic scientist since 2000. She has experience in cases involving identification of DNA profiling & scenes of crime examination; Libby's broken watch, Grass stains on Relowicz's jean, condom found on Alexandra Rd. (#144 to #146, #148, #149, #154, #155 & #160) here:
Ms. Taylor continues with DNA discussion (#190) here:
Prosecution’s case has now finished & the trial will resume on Monday, 25/1/21 at 10:30am.

Okay - this will be the last posting for me, as I'll be having surgery on Wed., and will need to check in the hospital tomorrow. I will catch up on "maybe" Friday when I get back - hopefully! The trial will probably be over by then - and hopefully a guilty verdict!

Monday, January 25th:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 10:30am UK) – UK – Liberty “Libby” Anna Squire (21) (last seen Jan. 31, 2019 outside Welly Club in Hull; found Mar. 20, 2019 from Grimsby Docks in the Humber Estuary) - *Pawel P. Relowicz (24/now 25) arrested (Feb. 6, 2019 on suspicion of abduction) officially charged (Oct. 30, 2019) with murder & rape. No plea entered yet. Not guilty plea entered on Jan. 12, 2021. Trial began on Jan. 12, 2021. Trial will be in Sheffield. Richard Wright QC will lead, Mr. Woolfall prosecutor. Oliver Saxby QC for defense. Trial expected to last 6 weeks. Jury: 5 men & 7 women.
Was originally charged (18/3/19 & 10/5/19) with 5 counts of burglary, 4 counts of voyeurism, 3 counts of outraging public decency & 1 count of receiving stolen goods. On Aug. 12, 2019 plead guilty to 9 charges including voyeurism (4 counts), outraging public decency (2 counts) & burglary (3 counts). Relowicz jailed for eight & a half years.

Jan. 22nd Friday, Trial Day 6: Professor Charles Deakin is to give evidence on how the cold and alcohol may have affected Libby. Professor Deakin is a consultant in intensive care and will give live evidence via video link (#20) here:
Questions Prof Deakin asked to explore plus more (#23, #24, #28, #30, #32, #36, #38 & #39) here:
Prof Deakin asked whether Libby could safely find her way home? Prof. Deakin was cross-examined by defence barrister Oliver Saxby QC (#46) here:
Relowicz gives no comment interviews after denial statement. Relowicz was re-interviewed on August 21, 2019 & Richard Woolfall QC outlined police interviews with Relowicz. The interview lasted for one hour & 21 minutes (#73, #74). Relowicz called burglary & voyeurism charges 'silly' when arrested. The prosecution went through the voyeurism, outraging public decency & burglary offences he committed (#78); Voyeurism victim statement read out (#80) here:
Next came a burglary between July 29 & August 1, 2017 in Chester Avenue. Relowicz broke into a woman’s home at night & stole some property & more burglaries/voyeurism (#85, #86 & #88) here:
More details of Relowicz's previous crimes being heard (#128, #129,#133, #135, #138, #139) here:
Nicola Taylor gave evidence. She has worked as a forensic scientist since 2000. She has experience in cases involving identification of DNA profiling & scenes of crime examination; Libby's broken watch, Grass stains on Relowicz's jean, condom found on Alexandra Rd. (#144 to #146, #148, #149, #154, #155 & #160) here:
Prosecution’s case has now finished & the trial will resume on Monday, 25/1/21 at 10:30am.
Hope all goes well with your surgery.

"However Mr Wright says that after DNA found on Libby’s body proved a billion to one match, Relowicz’s defence will now be they had consensual sex before he left her safe on the snowy fields."

This suggests he may admit taking onto the playing fields

Libby Squire's 'obsessed murderer prowled the streets for undergraduates', court hears
Hasnt it already been established that she could not consent to sex with PR due to her being intoxicated and disorientated? Cant see PR using this as a defence.

"However Mr Wright says that after DNA found on Libby’s body proved a billion to one match, Relowicz’s defence will now be they had consensual sex before he left her safe on the snowy fields."

This suggests he may admit taking onto the playing fields

Libby Squire's 'obsessed murderer prowled the streets for undergraduates', court hears
Yes it reads like he will.

I'm not a legal person so the only way I can see that happening is if he testifies? Is that correct?
He must have admitted to that, and I suspect he pinpointed the bench - remember the night SOCO turned up with markers, took photos, then left again all within an hour? It was about half 9 at night I think. Something made them check that exact place as a matter of urgency.

Wouldn't all his police interviews have had to form the prosecution case? Unless Hull Daily Mail haven't printed all of his police interviews - because from the first one onwards it sounds like he reverted to no comment.

They're certainly giving 'edited' highlights to give a flavour but I'm sure they'd have printed that?

Plus the prosecutor said his defence will now be?

So he must be going to testify cos I can't think of any other witness they could call?

Hi all. So many thoughts after finally catching up. I apologize for writing a book on here. For the record, I believe PR is guilty of rape and causing Libby’s death. I hope he stays behind bars. With that said, I have some things to share. My opinion may not be a popular one, but I believe it’s important. It’s not meant to attack, upset, or offend anyone, so if it does, please know it’s not my intention and then “scroll and roll”.

First, in regards to some thinking he may be mentally ill and others saying no way because he couldn’t stand trial if so... He could have a mental illness AND stand trial. There is a huge difference between mentally ill and insane (which would be cause for the insanity plea where there would still be a trial but a diminished charge and sentence possibility). I have depression and anxiety so I’m technically mentally ill. However, there is absolutely no way I wouldn’t be held fully responsible for any of my actions. I would never do anything like this of course, but even if I did, I know the difference between right and wrong and would therefore stand trial as any other person would. It’s possible to be mentally ill without reduced responsibility. Addiction is a mental illness, but doesn’t reduce responsibility. For example, an alcoholic is mentally ill and needs help. But no one would argue and say “They’re an alcoholic. It’s not their fault they drove drunk and killed a family. You can’t charge them!” I believe it is the same with PR. He shows signs of a sexual addiction and psychopathic tendencies (mental illnesses) but appears fully aware of right and wrong actions which means he deserves no leniency in trial.

Now, in regards to being found guilty. I’m in forensics. I understand evidence and trials. The prosecution has used EVIDENCE TO PROVE that PR raped LS. But, at this point, with what WE have heard and seen from the trial, they have not provided evidence to PROVE beyond reasonable doubt that he murdered her. You must remember that we here at WS have had the privilege of analyzing and following this case from the beginning. We have read tons of articles. People have been amazing and sleuthed the park and river. It’s been great, and it’s the reason I truly believe he is guilty. BUT, the jurors have had no such luxury. They are only allowed to consider the evidence and testimony provided in court. Of course, we may not have seen or heard exactly everything from court that they have, so maybe there is enough. But based only on what has been reported by the media, the prosecution has not, at this time, provided enough proof beyond reasonable doubt that PR is guilty of murder. It’s easy to get caught up in our feelings and opinions and all the info we have and say he is definitely guilty. Heaven help us if courts ever allow juries to convict on “feelings” though. Remember, they can only consider what is said and shown in court. Nothing else they may have seen and heard along the way. In fact, they try to find juries with little knowledge of the case and they are instructed not to research it as it creates a bias and a reason for appeals and mistrials. So, if I was a juror, based on what we have seen from court, I would bot be willing to convict him of murder right now. I would however have zero issue finding him guilty of negligent homicide or manslaughter.

Just my opinion. Congrats if you made it to the end of this!
Great first post. But I have to disagree with some aspects.

The verdict isn't necessarily a scientific/forensic certainty, if it was it wouldn't need to be decided by a jury of peers. And I think you may be confusing consideration of circumstantial evidence with "feelings".

That said, I think this is touch and go on the murder charge. But if I had to make a prediction now I think it will be guilty (obviously we haven't heard from the defence yet).

Monday, January 25th:

Hope your surgery goes well and thanks so much for all the updates and keeping tabs on the process thru court.

Good luck @Niner and best wishes for a healthy and speedy recovery. Thank you for your updates.

Im really wondering what will happen this week and whether PR will take the stand.
I wonder will he try and cover things regarding his police interviews/answers on the stand because English isn’t his first language? Any legal people know if it’ll be possible for him to excuse anything he’s said due to this? I’m assuming not due to interpreters being available? Just me musing :)

He must have admitted to that, and I suspect he pinpointed the bench - remember the night SOCO turned up with markers, took photos, then left again all within an hour? It was about half 9 at night I think. Something made them check that exact place as a matter of urgency.

Wasnt that the night where his time for being detained when he was first arrested was almost up? (Or maybe the night before) I can remember everyone waiting for news about whether he would be charged and he got charged with the other offences and not anything to do with Libby.

Thank you for the info @Niner and hope your surgery goes well! Take care :)

Thank you! And "Thank you" for all the court stuff you've been posting. I'll have to go thru a bunch when I get back! :)

Good luck @Niner and best wishes for a healthy and speedy recovery. Thank you for your updates.

Im really wondering what will happen this week and whether PR will take the stand.
I wonder will he try and cover things regarding his police interviews/answers on the stand because English isn’t his first language? Any legal people know if it’ll be possible for him to excuse anything he’s said due to this? I’m assuming not due to interpreters being available? Just me musing :)

Thank for the good wishes too! :)

Monday, January 25th:

Hope everything goes well for you @Niner , best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ah I wonder what date he was confronted with the screaming evidence?

From the police interviews we've heard so far he's he's had one story where she walks off and after that seems to have resorted to 'no comment'.

So I wonder whether that could have been the yeast factory or the screaming evidence?

Unless of course we haven't heard all the police interviews yet and the defence are going to use it? But that would seem strange.

Or Hull Daily Mail didn't print that bit for some reason.

Monday, January 25th:

Take care @Niner and get well soon

Long term lurker but first time answering so not sure if I’m doing it right. They have been shown the cctv footage of the car arriving and leaving. Hull mails summary of everything that’s been heard this week states that it was taken from cctv cameras at the rear of houses on Claremont Avenue.
Libby Squire murder trial key moments as prosecution closes case

Many thanks for that Challwood, very useful. And Welcome - out of lurkdom - and on to the thread :)

One snippet from the article

Sam Alford told the court that he woke up shortly after 12am on February 1 and soon after heard screams of desperation that lasted up to seven minutes.

Timings quoted yet again. I personally would not call 12.14am shortly after midnight - but that may just be my interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa