Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible a car was left there for him to switch to leaving the mustang?
For some reason they really want to impress that the mustang was at the reserve. (family does). If they drove it back on Tuesday, worried about his life, why wait until Friday to call the PD, and Saturday to mention the Mustang? Seems to me they are trying to drag it out as much as possible to keep the cops busy. Sure they could have left another car for him. Or at some other entrance to the reserve where he would know to go to get out, with a handy car waiting, or car/driver.

We don’t learn more than a skeleton of federal law in law school. And the bar exam isn’t really about knowing specific laws. You learn that and focus on a practice area after the bar- in the real world.

I do not do federal law because it’s not my area. I have done some stuff federally, over my career, for lawyers I’ve worked with, but I’m not competent in the practice of federal law. There are so many ins and outs to a practice area that you should be well versed in, to be truly competent. That comes from a lot of study, training and learning from others.

Just being a lawyer doesn’t make someone have contacts in all states either. Although I’m sure between New York and Florida there is much more connection and networking.

Bottom line is these people should have gotten someone local whose focus is on criminal defense. And they should have been advised to do so immediately.
It's like having asking a general surgeon who is a friend do a knee replacement. While that friend may be a wonderful surgeon, the kind of expertise needed for that knee replacement would make it unethical for the friend to attempt to do.

I’ve been trying to keep up with the threads but it’s difficult, so I apologise if this has been brought up before.

But am I the only one that sees someone (BL) sitting at the drivers seat in the video from that other youtube couple?

I slowed down the video to x0.25 speed and watched it with the highest resolution possible. I made a screenshot and quickly added some exposure with my phone (you can edit pics on iphone). It’s hard to see because the inside of the van is dark and there’s some reflection, but it looks like BL sitting at the wheel alone.

ETA: is that gabby’s face in the bottom left corner of the passengers window?!

MOO
No

Yeah I don’t think returning back to Florida the back of the van would look completely cleaned and organized if unless she cleaned it daily. She even mentioned in the video she tried organizing and cleaning the van and he got upset if I recall. Looks like it was cleaned just prior or after his return
These pics look like their van has windows on their back doors. One has a decorative cloth over it, prob to block out light, the other almost looks like wax paper. The video of the elk hunters van does not appear to have windows on the back. Is everyone positive this is the same van, or just hopeful for a lead?

I can’t wrap my mind around this one. How do they not know? I assume it isn’t stolen if the parents are picking it up and driving it around. What is the simple explanation to this that I can’t seem to reach at the moment?

Why does it seem like this investigation is rife with absolute incompetence? Is this the standard and we’re just seeing it before this case is so public? Not digging on LE, genuinely asking. I did 911 dispatch but only saw the front end of things.

I can’t wrap my mind around this one. How do they not know? I assume it isn’t stolen if the parents are picking it up and driving it around. What is the simple explanation to this that I can’t seem to reach at the moment?
My question is, why aren't they releasing who the owner is? I agree, they know who owns it.

NPPD doesn't know who the mustang is registered to. Um, what? Are the police acquainted with Florida DMV?

I'm sorry but they really are taking the p....Ever heard of running the plates, NPPD? The Moab PD did just this when Gabby and Brian were pulled over right?

Why are they are bending over backwards and defending this family baffles and frustrates me.:mad:

The Dyrt side says that WiFi in Spread Creek Dispersed Camping area is only FAIR

If your income depended on spending hours a day working on a blog, why would you stay in an area with only FAIR Wifi, when you could drive 15 miles and be in Coulter Bay in an internet cafe with fast WiFi, a table, food and coffee, and a chance to get out of the van?

Just like they were in the co-op cafe in Moab for 6 hours while she worked on her blog.

Did she ever get to blog in Coulter Bay? Was this where she video chatted with her Mom? Does that mark when she disappeared?

And this just blows his alibi about "his fiancee working on her blog in the campground" away. IMHO, she was alread deceased on 8/29 when he was hitchhiking.

I might also note that a tarp can be useful to haul thing over dirt and sand when they are clumsy to handle.

My guess is that she is in the Snake River

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer re: his trip to Florida by plane. The part that puzzles me the most is how badly the family has managed this if he is guilty of murder. I still think he lost her somehow and because they had already been on the police radar, he wasnt going to look good because of it. The idea that he left and flew back as a result of a breakup seems believable, but she is afraid to drive the van by herself so if he left her there with it she could have gotten more and more unwound, calling him over and over from the hotel room. I could see him flying back to get her back home, or perhaps even to reconcile. But he couldnt find her. I still think if he actually killed her, even in passion, he would have planned better for the eventual arrest than just hiding in his parents back bedroom. The reason that matters at this late date is that I think his mood could be a lot more desperate if he lost her during a quarrel and by now it's obvious that something has happened to her. It might make the outcome different.

Re: the couple would have noticed the door closing

It was so far away at that point, they probably weren't paying attention to it yet because they were looking around for spots and it didn't go from wide open to closed. It wasn't until they got closer and saw the Florida plates did they really acknowledge it. IMO

But like someone else said. It really doesn't matter. There's no way to tell who was closing it, though it does look like her sandals so I would assume she was there at that point so she must have been there when they initially parked at that location. MOO obviously.

Possibly already answered, due to the speed of the thread, but someone tested last week and old “likes” appear as if they’re new when an item listing that someone has previously “liked” gets updated.
I think it was me who originally posted it here last week but after looking into it recanted. So yeah, if the listing gets updated the previous list date becomes the updated date. So those “likes” are by no means recent.

I literally posted a link to a gun case for a 9mm sig that looks exactly like the case they had. It is definitely sold as a gun case, however I suppose someone could also use it for a drone.
That case in your link is much different in size than the one the cops looked at. It's wider longer and not as deep. Pelican and other companies make cases the same styles as their gun cases that are used for electronics, camera equipment etc.

If you look at 1:34 and 1:35 frame by frame using "," and "." on a computer, you can see it closing. There's no tree in the way and they don't move enough for a tree to move across the van.

--
Wait, do you mean 1:43-49 in the video?? Because 1:33 the van isn't even into view yet. I am just mainly seeing the angles of the black ladder on the back of the van, not really the back doors being slightly open and then shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53