CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post,

The fixation for Disney wasn't for the kids IMO, it was for Louise and David. It is possible that when the children were infants they were loved, because that was a part of LT dream of Disney, the cute little people, the dolls. I wonder of Louise had this obsession with Disney as a little girl? Both David's and her own narcissist behavior. LT thinking babies are cute, but more important to her the easiest to control. But how did she and David deal with what is know as the "terrible two's" To the Turpins, when did the children stop being cute and becoming a burden to them?

We can collect from the evidence that as the children aged, the needed to be controlled more and more with harsh discipline to maintain the Turpin's demands on conformity within the home. Once Louise and David stopped caring about something, there was no going back to correct a wrong. Because Louise and David in their twisted minds were never wrong. I think the only other things that she cared about that weren't her own dillusions, were what David made her care about, and the fear of retaliation by him if she didn't do as he demanded. Two narcissist controlling freaks, who over the years blending those ideas of religion, domination, abuse and this leading to torture of their own children.

Louise wanted children because of her fanatical religious beliefs that encouraged offspring. But once the babies were no longer cute, she wanted as little to do with them as possible. David being from the same faith was agreeable to that. When the love of the babies stopped, the neglect and the abuse began and intensified over time. When the cuteness becomes a burden to the Turpins, they want nothing to with kids any more. Doing barely enough to keep them alive. (I recall the pizza shop employee said that Louise would come in every other day for a chicken sandwich, no tomato, or a slice of pepperoni. Dear God, who only buys one slice of pepperoni? I could see her eating a whole chicken sandwich and offering one of the kids, only one slice of pepperoni.

Louise as a control freak I think could care less about a filthy house. Being a narcissist, cleaning was to demeaning for her. Wonder why this did not bother David? Seriously, I think that if they could have gotten away with killing their kids and throwing them in a dumpster they would have done just that. Was death coming next on their horror train if that brave and wonderful girl did not escape for help?

It is strange that the Maltese dogs were so well cared. But I read back in Texas, and maybe even in their California home that they left two dogs behind that were so starving that ate diaper dung that was all over the house. And there was an abandoned crying kitten rescued from a dumpster. I heard a rumor about dead dogs found on one of the properties, first California home, or Texas home. I have no explanation for the wide variation in animal care by the Turpins.

Satch
The variation in animal care from one place to the next is probably this. It's unfortunately common for people to get pets, love on them, and then tire of them. Sometimes it's when puppyhood is over. Sometimes it's when the newness wears off. Often they end up chained once people tire of them. And this happens with people who otherwise live normal lives.

Now compare that to the kids and what happened when they began to grow up.

IMO, these dogs also would have eventually been abandoned/neglected just as previous dogs and cats were.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Those plaid dresses do look like a Butterick pattern type of flower girl or jr. bridesmaid dress from the 70's! I am sure they were sewn at home, whether by egg donor or someone else.

It also speaks to the stunted growth of the grown daughters that those T-strap Mary Jane style shoes fit them. Those aren't commonly found in women's sizes, unless maybe they're dance shoes. I had very similar shoes as a little girl in the 70's, but no way could I find any shoe that style to fit my adult-sized clodhoppers now. Unless there's a source for girl's shoes in adult sizes that I am not aware of, those poor young women were quite stunted. :(

Having personal and familial experience with eating disorders, the children’s photos struck me from the start as being significantly underweight. However, I was very well fed as a child and teen but petite and could wear the largest child sized shoe until my mid twenties. It was actually really nice for me that I could pay $30 for the exact same shoes I’d have paid $60+ for when we were college students with young children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just speculating from my experience. If the 17 yr. old is the same daughter who was sexually accosted by DT,
I suspect she was strong enough mentally and/or physically to fight back when he tried again or even the first time.
Abusive parents learn very quickly who they can push around/abuse and which child might give them problems.
Also as the abused (sexually or physically) child matures and gets older and stronger and has more time to think about
the wrongness/unfairness of this abuse, she/he becomes even more adamant that 'it will not happen again'. Then the parent moves on to one of the 'weaker' siblings who does not fight back. These type parents are cowards and bullies.
They only devour the weak and avoid the strong. Sadly, I believe we have many weak ones in this family. Weak only in
that they did not fight back. And if they did, the shackles and chains took over to handle that problem.
I'm positive the 17 yr. old had her share of the chains and shackles and she probably had devised a long thought out
plan to be given some freedom or how to beat the shackles, maybe by picking the padlocks or slipping out of the shackles. The parents knew she was one of the stronger ones so she probably had more attention paid to her
constant inprisonment. JMO, IME.

perhaps the one year it was happening in the court paperwork?

I read don't try to understand a abuser. I needed to read that. I torture myself trying to figure out understand. Evil is Evil and for the ones of us who can't understand that is good. I hope these children get justice and some sort of life. I hope Justice handles the Evil. The eyes of the country will be watching.

I have seen discussion along the lines of "who started it" or "who is crazier". I have even offered my totally arm chair opinion that BPD would not surprise me as a possible disordered personality for LT. NPD would not surprise me for DT (or LT for that matter). Or maybe it is his presumably high intelligence combined with his own religious upbringing that may have bordered on neglect/abuse, and not narcissism, that seems to have affected his personality.

I don't know that either was worse altogether. I think they were each the aggressor at different times, for different reasons, and they fed off each other.

Others have mentioned Folie A Deux. I found this article "When two people go insane together.". These examples aren't sadistic like the Turpins, but it sure seems to fit the bill.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/io9.com/5955095/folie-a-deux-when-two-people-go-insane-together/amp

"Folie à deux is a term that originated in psychiatry, but sounds charming and whimsical enough that it's been used as title for everything from novels to wineries. Psychiatry has replaced the term with "shared psychotic disorder," which is a much less pretty, but much more accurate, description of the condition.

The French first coined the phrase to describe the case of Margaret and Michael, a married couple. The doctors didn't know which of the two started the cycle of psychosis, but they got into a feedback loop that reinforced each other's delusions...."

I have been completely disgusted since this crime was reported last week. This has gone on for so long it is a miracle that the courageous 17 year old escaped from these monsters. I believe DT and LT had the two dogs there as 'watch dogs' that would bark if there was any unexpected movement in the house. It is a miracle that the 17 year old was able to escape without the dogs barking and alerting the parents.

I find it odd that the first child is listed as being born in Los Angeles County in California. I don't understand that because from what we are hearing from the press, they left West Virginia/Virginia to go to Texas. Yet the Birth records for the eldest child are from California.

Also, they were married in Giles County Virginia, not West Virginia according to the license on Ancestry. I find it odd that supposedly DT graduated in '84 with the Electrical Engineering degree from Virginia Tech, then went back to West Virginia. This tells me he had no job offers from employers that interviewed engineering students at Virginia Tech. That seems quite strange for someone with an Electrical Engineering degree with a specialization in Computer Engineering.Somehow he ended up with a job in either Texas or Southern California, but it sounds like this happened months after he graduated. <snipped for focus>

(Bolded/snipped by me)

He was working for Lockheed before working for Northrop Grumman. Lockheed used to be headquartered in and still has some systems groups in Burbank, Los Angeles County, CA, so it could be their first child was born while they were traveling or had a temporary assignment there for his job. (She was born in L.A. County in 1988.) Lifting these from Wikipedia:

• CADAM Inc., Burbank, California (Information Systems group)

If I had to guess, I'd say DT may have worked with the Information Systems group at the time, perhaps traveling back and forth to CA as needed.

ETA: he was a good student by all accounts, so may have had job offers that he was considering until finally deciding on the Lockheed/Fort Worth one. He graduated in 1984, and seems he didn't want to leave the state without the girl he was set on marrying (by hook or by crook). They eloped to Texas (I can only think it's because he had a job offer out there), then came back for the small wedding Feb 1985, and then returned to Fort Worth.

Wonder what information today will bring. Hopefully something new to add to the puzzle.

LT's sister Teresa is on Megyn Kelly Live right now. DA was just interviewed, will give update in few minutes.

Turpin family moved to Rio Vista in 1999.
Purchased the double wide 5/2004.
They moved into double wide and out of brick house. We don't know what shape house was in when moved in. But from all accounts they lived in double wide, not in brick house again. House was built in 1975 from what I have seen. So jmho could have been cheaper to buy the double wide than make repairs to house.

I saw a photo of -DT, LT and -DT parents in double wide, sitting on the same brown couch sectional as the kids sitting on with infant. The photo is imprinted with date 1/4/2002. So I don't believe the just left all stuff behind. Don't know what maxed out credit cards for though.
These people never deal with what they have created. They continually start from scratch.

Get a home in good condition, simply not maintain it even in terms of basic cleaning or throwing out trash, and then abandon it and start from scratch in a new place.

Get an animal, care for it until the newness wears off and/or it becomes an adult, discard it with the home, and start from scratch with a new pet.

Have a baby, care for it until it becomes an individual separate from the mother (perhaps around the time it is no longer breastfeeding and is eating real food), discard it (probably consigning any care of it to the older ones), and start again with a new child.

Spice, what does this say, psychologically?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sewing is time consuming and requires much attention to detail. You have to calculate the amount of goods, fasteners, trims ~ all times 10. I don't see her doing it either.

I've always viewed sewing as an act of love ~ here, I made this for you. Nope, can't see it.

About whether or not one of them was more dominant or more pathological....

I don't think we know enough to make informed conclusions, other than they were equally aware of the abuse, both participated, and neither could possibly have felt any remorse whatsoever about the incalculable damage they were doing to those survivors over three DECADES.

One big 'ole clue, though, is extremely telling, and that is the fact of a 24-25 year old man with a college degree choosing to pursue a16 year old high school girl.

According to her sister (grains of salt), this was a girl being raised in a strict "religious" household who wasn't allowed to date. If that's true, how well could she possibly have known him, or even THOUGHT that she knew him? He supposedly promised to give her everything she could ever want. What did that mean to her, beyond simply the opportunity to escape her family?

Whatever fantasy sugar plums were dancing in her head, the core reality IMO was that he deliberately chose someone who couldn't be his equal, which again IMO means he chose a girl, not a woman, so he could be in control.

Beyond that are questions . ..

Is it relevant that he in fact seemingly didn't marry her of his own volition? They could have applied for a marriage license the day they arrived in Texas, but didn't, and didn't marry until they were dragged back to WV (allegedly for that purpose).

Also verifiable: the wholesale neglect of their finances and homes began early on, certainly by 1997.

Survivor #1 was 9 years old in 1997. She was 11 and had just finished 3rd grade when they moved to a remote rural area, where neither she or her siblings were allowed to attend school, and where they began to be "disappeared" altogether into a house.

We also know that survivor #8 was sexually abused in some fashion for at least a year, from the ages of 11-12.

Is the timing of their move to seclusion when survivor #1 was 11 a coincidence, or an indication of what might have been the beginning of sexual predation by the man-monster that one or both of the monsters was afraid might be revealed?

Whose choice was it to move away from the older children (to the double wide, presumably), and what motivated the choice?

Monster-man began sexually abusing survivor #8 almost exactly one year after the first trip to LV for the renewal of marriage vows. Is it possible there is a connection between his (possibly serial) sexual abuse of survivors and the very unusual frequency (and dates) of those marriage vows renewals?

And, about bringing all the survivors on those trips to LV. It is impossible to believe the monsters brought them along for any altruistic purpose. So why bring them? Perhaps they were afraid of someone escaping if all the survivors were left on their own, or of the survivors joining in to make so much noise they might be rescued.

Or....(or an and/or): they brought the survivors to torment them psychologically. Here is the big wide world --full of magic and marvel and food and showers and laughter and fun and semingly kind people- that you will be allowed to see only when we allow you to see it, but that you will never be allowed to join, but it's more satisfying that you know what you are being denied.

And....has anyone thought about incredibly cruel it was of those monsters to force the survivors, especially the teenagers and adults, to celebrate ANYONE's marriage, given that they were all being denied the opportunity to even have friends, much less to date and fall in love and marry?

They were ordered to smile and dance and clap to celebrate their torturers, to celebrate their torturers having what they were all being denied, and to do all this in the name of "love."

-----
Last, almost related thought (;)) about her seeming obsession with Disney stuff.

One possibility is that in fact her obsession didn't derive from her own interests, but because she was aware it infantilized her, which she may have thought would keep her husband interested in her.

I also do not think DT is or will turn out to be the "wimpy" "weak" "follower" some are assuming. He was aggressive enough to engage in alleged sexual predation on his 14 year old daughter.

I do not believe one iota that he was just some docile, weak-minded, follower that deferred to LT.

Not by a longshot.

I agree with you 100%.

Not likely.

Look, as long as California does a good job with the prosecution, no other jurisdiction is going to prosecute. There's no reason to spend the money to do that.

Not questioning that you are correct, but.... if there could be previous crimes in another state isn't it important that this is investigated so this evil pair are held to account and judged on the full force of whatever state's laws?
Is each state so independent of each other? Where does Federal Law come in to play ?

Lots of questions sorry, just trying to grasp the differences from this side of the pond.

Sister Teresa said she, their mom, Louise and the other sister were all sexually abused by a male family member, didn't say who he was but that it happened and he was someone that should have protected and loved them.

Do we have any pics of the mom when she was younger? When the dad was so attracted to her? I wonder if the mom was keeping all these children looking like when the two of them were younger and so in love!

Just found this. It says she's in 7th grade
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...0i13i30k1.0.JdJcwl-B5MQ#imgrc=w7rSaNBgkBlQqM:

I wonder when they met. How old was she when they met? The daughters all have their hair done like this in the wedding pics.

(Bolded/snipped by me)

He was working for Lockheed before working for Northrop Grumman. Lockheed used to be headquartered in and still has some systems groups in Burbank, Los Angeles County, CA, so it could be their first child was born while they were traveling or had a temporary assignment there for his job. (She was born in L.A. County in 1988.) Lifting these from Wikipedia:

• CADAM Inc., Burbank, California (Information Systems group)

If I had to guess, I'd say DT may have worked with the Information Systems group at the time, perhaps traveling back and forth to CA as needed.

ETA: he was a good student by all accounts, so may have had job offers that he was considering until finally deciding on the Lockheed/Fort Worth one. He graduated in 1984, and seems he didn't want to leave the state without the girl he was set on marrying (by hook or by crook). They eloped to Texas (I can only think it's because he had a job offer out there), then came back for the small wedding Feb 1985, and then returned to Fort Worth.

My stepfather worked for Northrop Grumman in North Texas. IIRC, he was "laid off" (earlier retirement than he had planned) around 2009 or so. He drew unemployment benefits for as long as he could, and those benefits were extended out pretty long due to the economic collapse at the time. When the unemployment ran out, he started his retirement.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happened with DT. He was working for NG or Lockheed (which has/had a sizeable plant in Fort Worth), was laid off, drew unemployment, then when that ran out they stopped making payments on the house in Rio Vista. They eventually moved to California NOT TO BE CLOSE TO HOLLYWOOD OR DISNEYLAND (though they told people that), but to chase another lucrative job in the defense contractor tech industry.

Agree absolutely that they are both psychopaths, equally culpable and equally evil. I don't believe either of them were the downtrodden partner, scared to speak up. I for one have a "gut" feeling (right or wrong, I don't know!) that LT is the leading partner, mostly because her influence seems more visible. The public face of the family seem to match her fantasies or juvenile feminine fantasies. Vegas - that's a feminine fantasy, getting married, being serenaded, and it fits in with what we know about her relationship with her parents, and her elopement, that the wedding was a real status thing for her, a way of breaking free from her parents.
Disney - you can see a number of photos of LT in Disney gear, dating from that photo of her with the oldest child as a baby, when the baby is wearing Minnie Mouse clothes and they are standing in front of a Minnie Mouse cake; right down to when LT is pregnant with the last baby and she's wearing a Minnie Mouse maternity shirt (who knew those existed?!) So this gives me the idea that she has a fair bit of control over their environment - she can dictate what she wears and what the children wear, whereas an overbearing and controlling husband would have deprived her of her Disney fantasy.
The dresses that the girls wore to the renewals - as others have pointed out, they look like a home pattern that would have still in style, yet fairly conservative during LT's childhood. So she's dressing the girls in a style that would reflect a "perfect" conservative family of the 1970s. The pattern probably belonged to her mother or grandmother. It's more logical that she has control over the clothes than David. The clothing "power" might seem superficial but it's a bit of a "hand that rocks the cradle" thing. She's calling the shots about how they present themselves as a family.
The family routine - they all adapted to the father's nocturnal work routine because this was more convenient for hiding the abuse. So the parents worked in complete partnership on this. He was still bringing in money, and they could reduce the risk of contact with the outside world. The neighbours talk about seeing the mother watching over the children as they work outside on the turf. So she wasn't trying to make things bright and cheerful while the scary patriarch was at work - she was the prison guard doing her shift. Whatever hours he worked, the torture of the children couldn't have been hidden from him. He knew they weren't going to the park or swimming lessons or playing with friends in the middle of the night while he was at work; he knew the family never sat down to dinner together. He ate with his wife and one (or perhaps two) favoured children, never the whole family. He was prepared to meet up with his family on vacations because they would overlook the abuse; she had to cut off from her family because she was still in competition with them and had to make her life looked perfect.
So while I think DT was a "follower", I don't think he was following far behind. I think she established the routine and the family front, and he supported it and benefited from it. In a dark twist on normal family values, he chose the working life that best suited the dynamic they chose, and they were united in how they wanted to treat their children. I think she was the driving force, and rather than putting a stop to it when it transitioned from neglect to abuse, he took advantage of the situation to abuse the children even further.

This is an excellent excellent response post. I agree with everything you said. Some other seemingly small but very relevant dynamics are 1) that she has a private lawyer while he has a public defender. If they were on equal ground they would both be using a private lawyer and possibly being represented together. 2) courtroom affect: she is very alert and involved with her lawyer, smiling inappropriately....given the gravity of the situation she should look scared or remorseful. This is an indicator of her level of psychopathy. She feels justified in what she's done and i wouldn't be surprised if she thought she was going to get off home free or with minimal punishment.
DT's affect on the other hand is, to degree, how I'd expect someone to look. He's frowning, kinda pissed looking (haven't fully analyzed this yet, but I think in part, is directed at LT for getting them into this). I wouldn't say he's remorseful looking tho, which tells me there's something not right about him too (lol well obviously not but I get what I mean). Yet another thing is that I've yet to see LT look at it interact with DT, she's out to protect herself at all costs. She really doesn't give a rip about him I don't think. He's just another human to manipulate. Don't get me wrong. I'm not letting DT off the hook. Even if he's not the primary instigator or had no "active" role in the abuse (which I srsly doubt), he's def off his rocker to be able to stand idly by and watch it all go down. He gives me the creeps as a pervert and she's just downright scary to me. Psycho women frighten me much more than psycho men. lol. Think there are some stats on women who commit violent & heinous crimes. So in general--That overall less likely than men to comitt these crimes but when they do they tend to do it dramatically if u know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member