Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be undiagnosed - The average age of onset of bipolar disorder is early 20's. He's led a sheltered life, but that doesn't mean his parents are aware of a mental illness.

No idea about BB...but my younger brother developed mental illness during his first year away at college and we discovered that this is not uncommon, especially in young men. He has never spoken about it but doctors believed it was stress-induced. He has never recovered his mental health and this was thirty years ago. And my brother had far less on his plate than Blaze seems to have had going on.

LE seems to be stressing that this is not a typical missing persons case...either to justify the overwhelming law enforcement response that few people over eighteen would generate or because they have specific info.

This case reminds me of Bryce Laspisa for some reason. Anyone else?

Does LE in the US often use so called psychics for "help" during some investigations? Their FB group is inundated with offers and some theories made by some who "connected" with Blaze already. It seems ridiculous to me to accept pseudo-scientific scammers in cases like this. Leeches with no shame who just want to benefit off people's tragedies.

If anybody would want to convince me about their usefulness, don't even try. I 101% refuse to accept that they really have some whatever power. To me they are ALL scammers with ZERO evidence of their powers. Leeches, nothing more.
Some might, but as a whole it's considered a parlor trick and not generally taken seriously.

I live in Orange County, CA. although not in the highly affluent area that the Bernstein's do. A friend of mine and her husband are close to the parents and know Blaze. His parents are very active in Jewish charitable and political causes, as are my old friends..

My friends have two adult children, one a lawyer and one in med school. My perception is that in their social circle, those are coveted career choices. Becoming a chef or writer would not, IMO, be viewed the same way. Blaze went to a charter high school that specializes in the performing arts. It seems he may well be an artistic young man in a family that values business acumen and pursuits. I am hoping that he is simply taking a break, may not have been anxious to return to school and may not quite know how to say "nevermind" at this point.

It has been on the local news a few times, but it does not seem to garnering the type of attention a case like this sometimes does. Not sure if that is just the luck of the draw or is LE may be thinking along the same lines I am,and not wanting to add to a media circus and making it more difficult for Blaze to come forward.

Again, this is strictly opinion. have not discussed the situation with my friends, the Bernstein's family friends.

There are other mental illnesses that have an onset in the early 20s, schizophrenia as well.

Yes there are!

Also the fact that he was considering choosing psychology as a major; and, there is the theory that many people enter the mental health field because they have a history of psychological difficulties.

Blaze's parents are very proud of their son's writing and cooking abilities. To me, they seem to adore everything he does and I don't think they would blink twice if he announced he wanted to become a chef or writier. Both of those career paths are just as prestigious as becoming a doctor or psychologist.

I am curious about those who are drawn to psychology, too. In my personal experience, usually someone is drawn to that field because 1) they find the mind fascinating and enjoy being exposed to and making sense of others, or 2) they want to make sense of their own mind through this outlet. I'm sure there could be other reasons, I've just not seen them my own self.

:tyou: mods for all you do.

Where is Blaze???

:candle:

Yes there are!

Also the fact that he was considering choosing psychology as a major; and, there is the theory that many people enter the mental health field because they have a history of psychological difficulties.

Now, perhaps this is the reason why his mother asked Blaze to turn on location services on his phone - perhaps he was beginning to show some signs of distress?

Though I have no direct knowledge of Blaze's parents, I would not be surprised if their doctor has them under fairly heavy sedation with anti-anxiety medication at this time. In fact, I tend to believe that may be more likely than not.

I worked on an adult in-patient, locked psychiatric unit of a regular hospital for the last fifteen years of my nursing career. Was Charge Nurse for the last seven.

We often had people admitted who had lost children and were understandably, having great difficulty coping. Their doctors kept them under heavy sedation with anti-anxiety meds until they had a better grasp on their tragic situations.

The medication makes them move and process conversation much more slowly.

I remember one mother particularly. Her 11 y/o daughter went out for a bike ride on their quiet suburban street. When she didn't come home the mother went searching. She didn't have to go very far before she found her a few houses down. Dead, next to her bike, a victim of hit and run.

We kept the mother under very heavy sedation. She was the first one I thought of when I saw Blaze's mother in the videos.

I could be wrong of course, but I know I myself would not cope well. I believe his parents are going through the worst nightmare possible. People under extreme stress do not react as they normally do.

I myself, am giving them a whole lot of leeway before I do any judging of whether their reactions are what I call appropriate or not...

JMO

Your post required much more than a simple click of a button, JazzTune. :tyou:

There are several elements of this case that are frustrating me.

While I understand the parents' desire to keep elements of Blaze's life private, especially if he has just disappeared himself for a while, which may be the case, I feel that they need to be open with the public especially as they are wanting to help them find their son. It's sad that there are rumours about Blaze's sexuality, this shouldn't be a part of the case in an ideal world, and the rumours are unhelpful in the main, however IF Blaze was meeting someone for a hook-up, then it would be better to be honest about it.

Blaze's phone was in the park. However that doesn't mean Blaze was. Apart from the mysterious buddy, there seems to be no other evidence that he even went to the park. The fact that Blaze was supposedly upset and yet this friend didn't ask why, or indeed why they needed to go to the park at all, and that the friend left Blaze there and then returned in the middle of the night doesn't ring true. As a parent of older teenagers myself, I know that they confide in their friends about stuff, and if they had asked for a ride late at night then their friends would have wanted to know why, they wouldn't just say sure and then just leave them there, especially if they appeared upset.

I don't believe he suicided, as his Jewish faith seems important to him from what I've read.

My hinky meter is buzzing with this case.

Basketball legend Kobe Bryant and Hollywood actors Jeremy Piven and Mayim Bialik are among those posting on Facebook and Twitter to help in the hunt for missing 19-year-old college student Blaze Bernstein.

Also posting were retired basketball star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and “The Real Housewives of Orange County” cast members Vicki Gunvalson and Tamra Judge.

Also, Orange County Supervisor Todd Spitzer on Tuesday offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to Bernstein’s safe return.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01...lebrities-help-in-search-for-blaze-bernstein/

Wow. Tons of celebrities sharing his info, politicians offering up reward money, national coverage, heavy LE presence and involvement. While I hope Blaze is safe and sound, it sure is different than most missing persons cases, with most families struggling to even get heard. I honestly wonder what’s so different about this case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent my son away to college when he was 18 in another state. He lived with his sister and her husband off campus.

We paid his tuition, bought all his books, paid his living expenses. I would make his doctor and dental appointments for him for when he was home on break, and many times I took him to those appointments. Mostly because he was still on our insurance and I had to settle the bills for it. I also wanted to spend time with him when he was home.

When he was home, he lived by our rules. He had to let us know where he was and when he was coming home because we needed to know if we locked the doors or not. We also wanted to know when he wasn't coming home for the same reason. It was a courtesy. He graduated at 23 and up until then, his rules were the same.

Now, when he went to college, it was before everyone had cell phones. But if he would have had one, it would have been on our plan.

Yes he was an adult. But he was also a child in our financial pocket, his life being financed by us so he needed to answer to us until he graduated, and got a job of his own and got off our health & car insurance, IRS status for student loans, etc.

Parents make a financial investment of their own money to send their child to college. They don't want anything going wrong to mess with that investment. So the child is accountable until they are on their own.

I do know that the college saw it a bit different, inasmuch as his grades were sent to him and we only knew what they were if he told us. I called the college once to ask that his grades, like the tuition bill be sent to us and they said no.

This is just some insight for those who keep asking why the parents seem to have control over much of Blaze's life, I.e. His phone and other things.
Thank you for this post, it really needed to be said!

“The investigation is still very active,” Braun said Tuesday (OC Sheriff spokeswoman). “This is absolutely not a typical missing person case.” She declined to elaborate.

BBM: How so??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, perhaps this is the reason why his mother asked Blaze to turn on location services on his phone - perhaps he was beginning to show some signs of distress?

Or risky behavior or parents feeling like they are loosing control... I wonder why Blaze asked a friend to drive him that night? Why didn't he just use one of his parents' cars? Did they take away driving privileges? Or do their cars have gps trackers and he didn't want to be tracked?

Also some of the early articles say he left without his medication. Hmmm, why was he on medication?

Could be undiagnosed - The average age of onset of bipolar disorder is early 20's. He's led a sheltered life, but that doesn't mean his parents are aware of a mental illness.

I disagree, there are signs long before an episode or diagnosis. Parents know there is something different and they need to keep a closer reign or watch. Maybe they don't know why they feel they have to do this but they do it.

often times there is a family history of MI

It's heartbreaking.

Blaze's parents are very proud of their son's writing and cooking abilities. To me, they seem to adore everything he does and I don't think they would blink twice if he announced he wanted to become a chef or writier. Both of those career paths are just as prestigious as becoming a doctor or psychologist.

I am curious about those who are drawn to psychology, too. In my personal experience, usually someone is drawn to that field because 1) they find the mind fascinating and enjoy being exposed to and making sense of others, or 2) they want to make sense of their own mind through this outlet. I'm sure there could be other reasons, I've just not seen them my own self.

His father said he was going to declare Psychology with a pre-med focus. Perhaps Psychology is an easy undergrad degree to obtain? I have a friend who's nephew is pursuing a Zoology undergrad degree in order to apply to med school where he is interested in specializing in anesthesiology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo