Found Deceased Canada - Cooper Nemeth, 17, Winnipeg, 14 Feb 2016 *Arrest*

Xanax is not on the "triplicate" prescription system in Manitoba. If your insurance is paying for the meds there is no way a pharmacy would be able to put through large quantities or have them filled too early. If paying cash...I think it's harder to double doctor now but maybe not if you go to different pharmacies and different doctors.
Hopefully the police can follow the trail of where this stuff was coming from and take down a source.

Xanax is not on the "triplicate" prescription system in Manitoba. If your insurance is paying for the meds there is no way a pharmacy would be able to put through large quantities or have them filled too early. If paying cash...I think it's harder to double doctor now but maybe not if you go to different pharmacies and different doctors.
Hopefully the police can follow the trail of where this stuff was coming from and take down a source.
I don't know either. I don't have insurance so I pay out of pocket for prescriptions. I still have to show my health card every time. The other day I filled a prescription at a different pharmacy than usual, and I asked if I could take it with another med. they had access to my prescription history, even though the others had been filled elsewhere and prescribed by different doctors. And these were just for eye drops!

I don't know either. I don't have insurance so I pay out of pocket for prescriptions. I still have to show my health card every time. The other day I filled a prescription at a different pharmacy than usual, and I asked if I could take it with another med. they had access to my prescription history, even though the others had been filled elsewhere and prescribed by different doctors. And these were just for eye drops!

Was it the same pharmacy chain?

I don't abuse drugs or traffic in them so I have no clue how a 17 year old would have enough to sell.

From what I have heard, prescription drug abuse is worse than street drugs for trafficking. They are easy to get, they are cheap or even free, and they are legal.
I don't know the details of what the catalyst for this murder but I don't think it is a deal gone bad over a few pills.
I agree about the hockey team addressing it. The club should call a meeting for all parents and players to attend and have police and counsellors come in and talk to them about the signs of drug use...drug selling etc. and what they can try and do about it.
His friends knew he was going to this party to sell pills. The outcome could have been much different if somebody decided to alert his parents.

I wonder if after CN was diagnosed he felt okay and to maintain or enhance that he probably started taking more and more of his prescription and eventually started buying it off the street and then selling it?

Hockey in a lot of communities in Canada is similar to football in the southern States, it makes kids stars and becomes something more than just being an athlete.

Xanax and Adderall abuse is HUGE in high school and colleges.

Many students who are prescribed sell their pills for $$$.

I know this first hand. Its very scary.

Selkirk was mentioned several times on social media.
Was it the same pharmacy chain?

I don't abuse drugs or traffic in them so I have no clue how a 17 year old would have enough to sell.

My oldest son was diagnosed with depression at the early age of 8. By the age of 11, he was also diagnosed as ADHD. By the time he was a teenager, he was taking ADHD meds, anti-depressent, and anti-anxiety. I will tell you, with all of those medicines, there were kids at the junior high that would have paid him $20 / pill to get their hands on his ADHD medicine.

I will also tell you that the psychologist said that if we had not diagnosed and treated him at an early age, by the time he was a teenager, he would be self medicating. The psychiatrist and psychologist both warned that if he didn't learn to control his symptoms or didn't take a medicine that worked, the studies showed that kids would self-medicate and abuse drugs and/or alcohol. I believe this to be true. Now that my son is older, he is weaned off of most of these medications as he has learned to control his behaviors and as puberty changed his chemical make-up.

I feel extremely sorry for Cooper and for his family. I do NOT judge him. No matter the circumstances, he did NOT deserve to die. So young, so much life yet to live. Prayers for his family for peace during this difficult time. R.I.P. Cooper. May your tragic death bring about discussions for a change for good somewhere.

I totally agree ^^^, cocomod.

I don't judge him. He was 17. A baby!
He absolutley did not deserve to die or be harmed by anyone. For any reason.
By all accounts, he was a great kid. Just made some bad decisions...as most teenageers do.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

My oldest son was diagnosed with depression at the early age of 8. By the age of 11, he was also diagnosed as ADHD. By the time he was a teenager, he was taking ADHD meds, anti-depressent, and anti-anxiety. I will tell you, with all of those medicines, there were kids at the junior high that would have paid him $20 / pill to get their hands on his ADHD medicine.

I will also tell you that the psychologist said that if we had not diagnosed and treated him at an early age, by the time he was a teenager, he would be self medicating. The psychiatrist and psychologist both warned that if he didn't learn to control his symptoms or didn't take a medicine that worked, the studies showed that kids would self-medicate and abuse drugs and/or alcohol. I believe this to be true. Now that my son is older, he is weaned off of most of these medications as he has learned to control his behaviors and as puberty changed his chemical make-up.

I feel extremely sorry for Cooper and for his family. I do NOT judge him. No matter the circumstances, he did NOT deserve to die. So young, so much life yet to live. Prayers for his family for peace during this difficult time. R.I.P. Cooper. May your tragic death bring about discussions for a change for good somewhere.

I am so glad things worked out for your son and kudos to you for being aware. So many parents are not, including myself and I knew better, and there are disastrous consequences much of the time.

No judgement here. I agree that he was probably self medicating. I believe some of the early stories mentioned he was dealing with depression as well. I feel for his parents, and especially his team mates. Those boys would have been extremely close. Sad situation.

It's so easy to get pills, especially at high schools/ from HS students. My son graduated from a different Winnipeg HS 3 years ago. Once I mentioned not wanting to take a flight because I am afraid to fly, and he said he could get me something for it after school. :eek: he was trying to be helpful, but we had to have a little chat about that.

No judgement here. I agree that he was probably self medicating. I believe some of the early stories mentioned he was dealing with depression as well. I feel for his parents, and especially his team mates. Those boys would have been extremely close. Sad situation.

It's so easy to get pills, especially at high schools/ from HS students. My son graduated from a different Winnipeg HS 3 years ago. Once I mentioned not wanting to take a flight because I am afraid to fly, and he said he could get me something for it after school. :eek: he was trying to be helpful, but we had to have a little chat about that.

I feel sad about this whole situation.

CN seemed like a good kid who may of been struggling a bit but given time he probably would of made through.

NBW does not seem like a hardened criminal either. He is 22 charged and convicted of 1 assault a few years ago. Sentence was a suspended sentence and a year probation.

[respectfully snipped by me]

This bears repeating.

Every teen messes up somehow and if you say you didn't, I'm going to not believe you.

My heart breaks for Cooper and his family. This is just sad all around.

:/

[video=twitter;695926839999483904]http://twitter.com/coopernem/status/695926839999483904[/video]

Sadly, the 'missing middle class hockey player' narrative is more palatable than the 'pill popping drug dealing teen missing' narrative. At least Cooper and the perp were found. I feel for his parents and family.

rsbm

And if we had been talking about an aboriginal kid who was missing -- even without any involvement in selling drugs like Cooper was -- there likely would have been one-tenth the media coverage, and one-twentieth of the police resources dedicated to finding him. (If it had been an aboriginal kid known to have been selling drugs, the case file might have been dropped off at the cold case desk right from the start.)

rsbm

And if we had been talking about an aboriginal kid who was missing -- even without any involvement in selling drugs like Cooper was -- there likely would have been one-tenth the media coverage, and one-twentieth of the police resources dedicated to finding him. (If it had been an aboriginal kid known to have been selling drugs, the case file might have been dropped off at the cold case desk right from the start.)

I was under the impression he was from a First Nations family. No?

Nope. Nemeth is a Hungarian/Slavic/Eastern European name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SweetCandy
Back