Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is that LE must have a pretty good idea that there is some association between the guys and that boat. It is large enough to hide under and IF they remained in the vicinity of Gillam, they surely must have been hiding under something to evade the IR or NV, whatever it was.

Not sure if this was posted before but I found it just now:

Were B.C. killings planned in advance? Criminologist has doubts

"While police have shared few details about what led to the deaths of Leonard Dyck, Chynna Deese and Lucas Fowler this month in B.C.'s north, Gordon said the publicly available evidence doesn't point to a planned-out killing spree.

For one thing, there has been no sign of violence since the last body was discovered on July 19.

"That's been the end of it," Gordon said. "(The suspects) made a dash to get away from the scenes of the crimes, and they've crossed over two provinces and into a third, and that says to me that they're two young men seeking survival and escape."

Instead, Gordon speculated the series of killings might have started with a robbery that went awry, which led to more violence as the suspects made a desperate attempt to switch vehicles and evade justice.

"I think they're classic fugitives," Gordon said. "Realizing the enormity of what they'd done, they then decide to make a run for it, 'Thelma and Louise'-style."

McLeod and Schmegelsky are suspects in the Deese and Fowler killings, but have only been charged in Dyck's murder, and neither has been convicted.

Gordon said when young men are found guilty of killing in pairs, it's not unusual to learn one of the friends was more inclined toward violence.

"One of them's going to be more motivated to do that than the other, and will bring the other along by virtue of his (more dominant) personality," he told CTV News."

"Unless the suspects are cornered, Gordon said he would be surprised to see any more deadly violence, though he acknowledged there is likely a lot about McLeod and Schmegelsky and their activities, both at home and on the road, that police aren't revealing to the public just yet.

"Police have a fair bit of information that they're not sharing right now, rightly, that will help us understand what happened," Gordon said."

Personally I am also suspecting more and more that the killings were unplanned when I look back on how they acted.

All I can say is that LE must have a pretty good idea that there is some association between the guys and that boat. It is large enough to hide under and IF they remained in the vicinity of Gillam, they surely must have been hiding under something to evade the IR or NV, whatever it was.

The colouring of the boat makes that a possibility.
Toss some dirt and leaves over it. I imagine the boat would be fairly lightweight and easily carried well into the woods to find a hiding spot for the day.

I don’t know if there’s been any recent improvements on the Provincial Road 280 toward Gillam elevating it from its Worst Road in Manitoba status but between swamp, muskeg and frost heaves, probably not much. PR 290 NE from Gillam, through Sundance, less travelled, is probably even worse. There’s a good reason a small place the size of Gillam has an airport.

One thing, LE has never said anything about investigation of the tire tracks and footprints in the area and on the road near where the burning RAC4 was found but that ought to have revealed information including if the RAV4 was hopelessly stuck and pushing off the side of the road either unintentionally or as a way to hide it. I’m not convinced it was set on fire given the fellow who found it thought there might’ve been occupants inside due to a roadway accident. If it went off the side of the road depending if there was a drop, the crash could cause the car to explode.

On foot, to head back south, the Nelson River must be crossed. The only other alternative would’ve been for the two to walk on the road to get to the only bridge, to my calculations appx 40km away. By the time they’d have been anywhere close, the RCMP were everywhere.

The battered boat is the most promising clue yet IMO.

Manitoba Provincial Road 280 - Wikipedia
Worst road in Manitoba"
In a Canadian Automobile Association survey conducted in April 2015, PR 280 was voted the worst road in Manitoba.[4]

On May 16, 2016, CBC News reported that vehicles were becoming stranded or damaged by "big bogs of mud" on PR 280.[5]

Later that same month, local protestors blockaded the road to demand remediation of its unsafe "potholes and ruts." A representative of Tataskweyak Cree Nation reported trucks, buses and private vehicles becoming stuck in mud.[6]

You wouldn't register a rowboat with Transport Canada, no, because the cost and inconvenience would far outweigh the benefits. I'd expect the boat would have a serial number somewhere though.

Yes, especially if over 9 feet and designated as a motor boat (can be powered by a motor). The SN will usually be on the left side of the transom, just under the gunwhale lip.

This looks like a flat-bottomed skiff to me. Maybe as trolling motor but likely oars and of use in calm water,

According to https://www.hydro.mb.ca/hydrologicalData/static/ the Nelson River water temperature right now (further to the south than Gillam and about 300 miles away though, but it was the closest I could find) is in the 65-72 degree Fahrenheit range...so hypothermia probably wouldn't be a factor.

Some pictures of the search from a Globe and Mail photojournalist:
Melissa Tait on Twitter

I don’t know if there’s been any recent improvements on the Provincial Road 280 toward Gillam elevating it from its Worst Road in Manitoba status but between swamp, muskeg and frost heaves, probably not much. PR 290 NE from Gillam, through Sundance, less travelled, is probably even worse. There’s a good reason a small place the size of Gillam has an airport.

One thing, LE has never said anything about investigation of the tire tracks and footprints in the area and on the road near where the burning RAC4 was found but that ought to have revealed information including if the RAV4 was hopelessly stuck and pushing off the side of the road either unintentionally or as a way to hide it. I’m not convinced it was set on fire given the fellow who found it thought there might’ve been occupants inside due to a roadway accident. If it went off the side of the road depending if there was a drop, the crash could cause the car to explode.

On foot, to head back south, the Nelson River must be crossed. The only other alternative would’ve been for the two to walk on the road to get to the only bridge, to my calculations appx 40km away. By the time they’d have been anywhere close, the RCMP were everywhere.

Worst road in Manitoba"
In a Canadian Automobile Association survey conducted in April 2015, PR 280 was voted the worst road in Manitoba.[4]

On May 16, 2016, CBC News reported that vehicles were becoming stranded or damaged by "big bogs of mud" on PR 280.[5]

Later that same month, local protestors blockaded the road to demand remediation of its unsafe "potholes and ruts." A representative of Tataskweyak Cree Nation reported trucks, buses and private vehicles becoming stuck in mud.[6]

Another vehicle used by Canadian teens suspected in 3 murders found in flames

As far as I know, this is the photo taken by Billy Beardy. Copyright by him. He found a pile of burnt matches on the road, plus an unlit one.

Last edited:
The short answer is "no". Many have speculated that the description could fit one of the suspects, KM, but, as with so much of this case, confirmed facts are very scarce.

Thanks, I wondered too, could it be LD? (Because KM and LD are the only 2 men in nothern BC who have beards...)

Worst road in Manitoba"

I have been lurking for a while here but had to make an account to reply to this. I was in Gillam most of the week as a reporter. It isn’t a great road and may be the worst in Manitoba but it’s far from the worst I have ever driven. It seemed quite safe to drive at a high rate of speed most of the time, the area near the burnt out car was one of the best sections of the road.

No matter the speed at which that vehicle went off the road in to the ditch it wouldn’t have exploded. The ditch wasn’t even all that steep and if they wanted to they could have easily driven out. The car was clearly intentionally placed and burnt.

There was a rather extreme rainstorm not long after the car was found so any tyre tracks and footprints would have been washed away (if any were visible in the first place, it’s not really a soft enough surface for such impressions)

People have said just about everything but that don’t make it so. The vehicle this man was driving was described as -

“Jeep Cherokee bearing a "black stripe on the hood and a black light/bull bar with small, covered lights."..”
Couple died by 'gun violence' south of Liard Hot Springs

Also, other than both having beards, I saw no resemblance..The man sketched appeared much younger than Prof Dyck, and also had a rather neater, dark beard, whereas Prof Dyck more resembles Santa Claus, imo

Also, other than both having beards, I saw no resemblance..The man sketched appeared much younger than Prof Dyck, and also had a rather neater, dark beard, whereas Prof Dyck more resembles Santa Claus, imo

Yes and the man was described as Caucasian but darker skin tone which doesn’t describe Prof Dyck at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix