Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he may not know, but as far as I know, all confirmed sightings have placed KM behind the wheel, with BS as the passenger. Could just be that it was KM's turn to drive, but also could be that BS really can't drive.
Agree, in Canada it is way more risky to drive without a drivers license and the fines are really severe. It would also have opened them (KM & BS) to more risk, especially since their plan was to get across Canada without great notice.

Maps have the important flip side with all the prairie provinces sometimes.

I'm not sure I've seen this. I have many paper maps of my province and areas within it. The flip side is usually just a more detailed section.

I would doubt, if LD had maps of BC, they would have detailed enough roads of a province three over that these two could take backs roads in the middle of nowhere.

I have a feeling they picked up their own or brought them.

I hope it's not accurate as well. The only thing that might've happened if true is what LE said, maybe they got a ride with someone unknowingly or someone helping them out. The distance doesn't seem that far as this is their MO so far, it's just whether or not realistic if they actually have a vehicle and/or help with someone with a vehicle.

Given that the First Nations couple with the two babes who were stopped by the RCMP yesterday (I posted the video) hadn't even heard about these guys, hitching a ride now seems more likely.

This case from 1983 is extremely interesting and 25 years later it still remains unsolved with both viable suspects being eliminated by DNA. Interesting!
Vance Hill committed suicide in 1986 after confessing to his wife. His description of the crime allows for the possibility that his DNA wouldn't be on the victims. Andy Rose conviction was based on false testimony by his ex girlfriend, who claimed he came home with bloody clothes. Obviously he didn't.

If KM/BS read about that killing, they may have taken precautions not to leave DNA on the victims.

Ok...some random thoughts while I drink coffee and get caught up on the thread.

1) August 4, BS' birthday, has come and gone with nothing "significant" (in the way of them publicly ending their lives if that was their true intention) as far as we know.

2) With the teenagers being from BC...is northeast Manitoba and the Nelson River well-known enough that they would even be familiar with the area and the possible difficulties/travails that await them?

Of course...we also have to consider that things didn't quite go as planned as they traveled to (or toward) Whitehorse...and that the teens never planned to be where they are suspected of being/have been spotted.

If you lived in British Columbia, were 18/19 years old but did have some survival skills...is the Nelson River one you would know enough about to possibly develop an in-situ escape plan if you, somehow, found yourself on the run from LE?

I grew up in BC, and still live here, and the only reason I ever heard of the Nelson River or some of what it is like up there is because I have friends who live in Nelson House, which isn't too far from Thompson.

When I was a teen I always assumed forests were forests and they'd be mostly the same no matter where you went (in Canada). Which could have been the case with these two. Unless they did research first they probably had no idea what they were getting into by going to Northern Manitoba. Even if they did know some thing nothing they did out in the woods in their home town would have fully prepared them for what it is like to walk in muskeg. Watching interviews of the two German tourists who got lost up there in the Gillam area, it sounds like an exhausting hell. Then the bugs? Yikes. I do a lot of camping, hiking and canoeing and you'd never catch me trying to walk through that.

If BS has died out in the bush/wilderness I guess he won't be needing a suit for a funeral. JMO I think these 2 are still somewhere. But where and who may be helping them IF there are others (people from gaming world?) ?

I was thinking more along the lines of someone who is sympathetic to BS's disenfranchised, fringe ideals and/or someone with anti-RCMP leanings … which would explain how they could be moving around undetected and no one has come forward to admit to assisting them. Possibly BS met someone online from Gillam (or knows that area) and that's how they ended up there. I also wouldn't discount the possibility that these 2 know more about the dark web than the average person. I know almost nothing about the dark web but from what I hear, lots of shady people who wouldn't think twice about assisting a couple of fugitives and hooking them up with guns, vehicles, places to hide, fake ID, etc.

Last edited:
There are only two options:

-RSBM-

ETA: Were they sending a message?
I've always thought that burning the truck camper was a highly significant action, presuming it was borrowed from KM's family. To me, setting fire to something nice my family had loaned me would be totally severing that relationship, giving them the middle finger.

When they set out, they were apparently doing the expected thing, starting an independent life for themselves. Yet pretty soon, away from their families, they started this mayhem.

I think it's possible, especially for young mankids, to be running not so much from police, as from their families and family expectations. When they burned the RAV, they were considered missing from their families. Maybe they decided they would just disappear forever, and that was a kind of message to their families.

But were there really no previous signs of this behavior from Kam, or is it just that less information has been released about him?

I think it's just the matter of not as much being released about Kam as they has been about Bryer. Kam's family is avoiding the media and only issued one brief statement. Bryer's father has been in the news a number of times, and his mother wrote a letter.

I kind of wondered if either those who know Kam are too afraid to talk about him even though he is suspected to be in Manitoba, or if he was just really good at hiding who he is from everyone but Bryer.

If LE is able to talk to more people that Kam gamed with they might learn more about him. People seem to be more open with anonymous people. If he was a PC gamer then hopefully he left his computer behind. LE would just need to check his discord. Probably could find out more about him on there.

The witness seems reliable, so there probably was a suit in the car. BS family will know if he took the suit from home.

Otherwise it belongs to Prof. Dyck, a shorter and chubbier man. In that case, they would have sold it for cash.

Who's they?

I've always thought that burning the truck camper was a highly significant action, presuming it was borrowed from KM's family. To me, setting fire to something nice my family had loaned me would be totally severing that relationship, giving them the middle finger.

When they set out, they were apparently doing the expected thing, starting an independent life for themselves. Yet pretty soon, away from their families, they started this mayhem.

I think it's possible, especially for young mankids, to be running not so much from police, as from their families and family expectations. When they burned the RAV, they were considered missing from their families. Maybe they decided they would just disappear forever, and that was a kind of message to their families.

I've wondered if they burned the camper because it was covered in forensic evidence (like blood). That's the only scenario where it at least slightly could make sense for someone to come to that decision. Although I still think it was a monumentally stupid thing for them to do if they were trying to get away with it. A lot of suspects have been taken down by forensic evidence in their vehicle though so maybe if they were panicking they decided it was the best of several bad options.

Or if they weren't concerned about getting away with it and this was a suicide mission, it does seem like some kind of cinematic thing to do, in a way that would appeal to teenagers. Like "*advertiser censored** you, your hopes and dreams for us can burn, and guess what, we aren't who you thought we were at all."

All those buildings were removed long ago, but RCMP checked all other hydro facilities. One report mentions hundreds of rooms in one building.
Ya, I saw that a 100-room building was searched a while ago. And I guess locals would have noticed if survivalists had repopulated any of those towns, but it makes me wonder...

I think you're spot on with your analysis except possibly the truck/camper was not nice enough for KM (it was old-ish and being from a wealthy family, he may have expected something better but didn't get it.) A tantrum and a middle finger. In BS's case, sounds like he really had nothing to go back to in Port Alberni so dropping off the face of the earth might have seemed like his only hope for the future.

Attachments

• EBOpTQHW4AEK0h8.jpg
    EBOpTQHW4AEK0h8.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 21
  • EBOpkfDW4AEB14i.jpg
    EBOpkfDW4AEB14i.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 22
Vance Hill committed suicide in 1986 after confessing to his wife. His description of the crime allows for the possibility that his DNA wouldn't be on the victims. Andy Rose conviction was based on false testimony by his ex girlfriend, who claimed he came home with bloody clothes. Obviously he didn't.

If KM/BS read about that killing, they may have taken precautions not to leave DNA on the victims.

DNA was found under Andrea's fingernails in that cold case.

Also on the subject of Bryer's dad's impression of him vs. reality, I came across this article which I haven't seen before. Not sure if this has been posted before but it's clear that his dad was probably in denial about this sort of thing. I guess nobody wants to admit that their kid is like that but clearly he had least had some indication that Bryer had some issues. But a lot of teenagers have "edgy" interests and then grow up and realize their stupidity.

Also interesting if it was Kam and Bryer who bought the knife at the store (which seems pretty likely IMO) because it shows both of them having an interest in these kinds of dark topics.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-murder-suspect-not-a-neo-nazi-dad-says-1.5187809

Alan Schmegelsky said that his son took him to an Army Surplus store eight months ago in his hometown of Port Alberni, B.C., and that Bryer was excited about the Nazi items there.

"I was disgusted and dragged him out," Schmegelsky told Canadian Press. "My grandparents fled the Ukraine with three small children during the Second World War."
[...]
Despite his son's fascination with the items, Schmegelsky said he didn't believe Bryer identified as a neo-Nazi.

"He thought he was Russian. Germans are their enemies," he said.

But Evan Balgord, executive director of the Canadian Anti-Hate Network, wonders why someone who relates to Russia and communism — as has been reported elsewhere — would covet Nazi items.
[...]
Alfred Bergkvist, owner of "A" Company, said he didn't recognize the red Nazi armband, but that his store does stock Hitler Youth knives identical to the one in the photo.

He recalled that two boys came into his store about three weeks ago and bought one of the replica knives inscribed with the German words for "blood and honour."

"They were really excited about it," he said, adding he didn't know whether the pair were Schmegelsky and McLeod.

Agree, in Canada it is way more risky to drive without a drivers license and the fines are really severe. It would also have opened them (KM & BS) to more risk, especially since their plan was to get across Canada without great notice.

Indeed, a murder suspect fugitive would not risk driving without a license for fear of heavy fine. Goes without saying o_O

The German couple had arrived in Manitoba before heading west to travel the Alaska Highway. They went to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island before they were shot dead. Yes, it is very interesting.

Someone Got Away with Murder - Timeline | CBC News: the fifth estate

I have been thinking a lot about Port Hardy. I am sure the RCMP already know which ferry BS & KM left on from Vancouver Island as there are 3 choices but when first hearing about this case I would have guessed they took the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert if they were in fact heading to Whitehorse. This would place them much farther into Northern BC to start the drive to WH, it would also save a ton of gas, and it would save young inexperienced drivers in a large vehicle the prospects of navigating through Vancouver. Just my thoughts, as we know nothing about the first days of their trip from departure July 12, until the Dease Lake sighting on July 18th. The only confirmed info from RCMP , in one of the very first press conferences it was stated that there was information that placed KM & BS in Northern BC, but where in Northern BC has never been stated. So many unknowns?? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase