Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the woman hasn’t provided enough information to the media. For example if she thought Chynna needed help, what kind of help did she think Chynna was asking for?

And what kind of help do you think Chynna was asking for?

How I see it is at this point in time we have no other information except the engine was flooded and LF was confident waiting a bit would resolve it. We don’t know whether they were forced to stay the night on the shoulder of the highway or if they chose to.
I have no idea. Perhaps she hoped the woman could make a call for them.

Until this, I actually didn't know it was an option not to respond with regards to a call. I would have thought there would have been some responsibility there despite the distance. I am not sure what the caller said, but it is awful to think that CD and LF may have needed help and that that help never came. I dunno, that just also bothered me. This whole situation has had so many close calls, and it seems like so many missed opportunities.
I don’t know that it was an option not to respond, but it probably wasn’t a priority. And it really could have gotten lost in paperwork.

I found this information in a post today (July 30th, 2019) from a McLean's article.

"Fox Lake residents Billy and Tamara Beardy noticed the billowing black smoke while out berry picking nearby. The region is prone to forest fires, so they went to see whether they should call a conservation officer. But it was the burning vehicle, which had been pushed into the ditch. For nearly an hour, the couple sat there in their truck, doors unlocked. Billy guesses it had been burning for no more than 15 minutes. Tamara says that when they went back to the vehicle a day later, responders had flipped it over. Sardine cans, propane bottles, forks, orange peels, pork chops, money, tools and keys littered the road."

Here's the link to the article: A mysterious sighting in the Manitoba manhunt—and then the trail goes cold - Macleans.ca

Addendum: Another article link describing what Bill and Tamara Beardy saw the next day: RCMP broaden search for suspects wanted in B.C. killings to York Landing, Man.

"When they pulled the charred Toyota out of the ditch, they found cans of sardines, small propane bottles, forks, orange peels, loose change and partially eaten pork chops, said Ms. Beardy, who had returned to the scene."

So, now the food is described as "partially eaten", and money is actually called "loose change", lol.

Just wanting to clarify two, different write-ups.

I'm gobsmacked to read the list of items that the residents noted littered the roadway the next day when the vehicle had been flipped over by responders. Just wanted to share this odd bit of information.
Thank you for sharing that.

Perhaps it is because Schmegelsky had a more 'overt' online presence? McLeod also had similar gaming habits and references to particular ideologies, but he wasn't so quick to spout off and 'looks' like he can blend in better. On another note: I also wonder about the 6'4" height, and 165 weight reference to both? Looking at pics and video, McLeod is clearly a few inches shorter than Schmegelsky, amd he is the one with sandy hair.
I agree. There just simply seems to be more out there on BS, between his online presence and his parents being more open with the media.

As for height and weight, I also seriously question them being listed as the same and was confused on the hair color since KM's is clearly lighter than BS's. I get the impression that, however the descriptions were initially reported, they got jumbled--or were just based on inaccurate information. To my eye, BS is probably a legit 6'4," with KM being a good 2-3 inches shorter. That makes the latter still above average in height but noticeably shorter than his pal. I also think KM looks a bit stockier so might be a bit heavier, despite being shorter.

This case is teaching me how difficult it must be to decide which details to share with the public and which to withhold. For instance, it would help our armchair sleuthing if we knew time and cause of LD's death. It would also help to know if the charge against BS and KM for his death stems from specific forensic material--such as DNA or clothing fiber from one/both of them--found on his body, or is it enough that their abandoned vehicle was found so close to his body? We know that something definitely ties them to the Dease Lake area--their truck and its proximity to his body, if nothing else. What about Liard Hot Springs--has there been any evidence, camera footage or witness accounts linking them to that area in the days surrounding CD's and LF's van breakdown there? At some point I either read at www.CBC.ca or heard in one of the press briefing broadcasts that RCMP expected to have evidence to charge the teens with the couple's death--but as far as I can tell, they are still merely considered suspects. Did the expected evidence not pan out?

This case is teaching me how difficult it must be to decide which details to share with the public and which to withhold. For instance, it would help our armchair sleuthing if we knew time and cause of LD's death. It would also help to know if the charge against BS and KM for his death stems from specific forensic material--such as DNA or clothing fiber from one/both of them--found on his body, or is it enough that their abandoned vehicle was found so close to his body? We know that something definitely ties them to the Dease Lake area--their truck and its proximity to his body, if nothing else. What about Liard Hot Springs--has there been any evidence, camera footage or witness accounts linking them to that area in the days surrounding CD's and LF's van breakdown there? At some point I either read at www.CBC.ca or heard in one of the press briefing broadcasts that RCMP expected to have evidence to charge the teens with the couple's death--but as far as I can tell, they are still merely considered suspects. Did the expected evidence not pan out?
I would say the fact that they had LDs truck is a significant tie to his death, but I'm sure there is more to it.

I don’t know that it was an option not to respond, but it probably wasn’t a priority. And it really could have gotten lost in paperwork.
Im sure there will be an inquiry into why they didnt respond, but with limited resources i will make the assumption that the rcmp dont go out to every broken down vehicle with a 4 hour drive time to get there because someone called to let them know a female sitting in a lawn chair with a male got up and waved at her. Or that they saw a male who seemed to be arguing with the couple on the side of the road during peak tourist season. They also could have been busy with a handful of other "seemingly" more important issues JMO

Reading through early parts of the discussion. Found it interesting (partial comment):

Transcript of first press conference
(Janelle Shoihet, Media Relations Officer at the BC RCMP)

"We recognise that news is troubling for the entire community and absolutely appreciate that there may be concerns for safety in an area that’s popular area with outdoor enthusiasts and tourists alike. The investigation is in its very infancy and it’s not yet clear whether Chynna and Lucas were targeted or this was a crime of opportunity. At this point, we have nothing to indicate that their deaths are linked to any other active and ongoing investigations or previous investigations here in British Columbia or that there is a heightened risk to public safety.

Our investigators will consider any and all information carefully as the investigation unfolds. Should you have been in the area and have information and have not yet spoken to police, we are asking you once again to contact us at 250 774 2700. Thank you."

JudgeJudi, Jul 21, 2019

LE is 4 hours away, why didn't a high way worker go to the van.

Maybe they did but we don’t know?

The RCMP hasn’t released any details about what transpired prior to the murders nor evidence pertaining to the murders. We won’t know anything more until a trial occurs. If the suspects are found dead many, many months into the future the RCMP usually releases a report revealing their findings.

Last edited:
I will look for the article linking the woman calling RCMP. I'm not going to do it right now, but will look for it. It was linked in the early day or two of the discussion - maybe Saturday July 20.

The reason we know that police did not respond is that the van and the couple were still in the same place at 11:30. If RCMP had responded to that first call, they would have been at the van at 8PM. RCMP would have done something to ensure that they were not stranded there overnight, citing BC Highway Safety Regulation (also linked way back at the beginning) if necessary. That is how I know that RCMP did not respond to the first call.

It must have been an intense moment between the woman driver and Chynna if it resulted in a call to RCMP.

Not questioning their response but the claim they were called in the first place.

I think they did call for a tow when the night went on and were told it would be early morning till one could get to them. Possibly one could have come quicker but would have cost more. Possibly when they realized that they tried to hail down a ride. Maybe that’s how these guys came upon them.

ETA: the tow driver said he was not aware he would be arriving to a murder scene. I assumed it was because he was dispatched for a broken vehicle. I think he showed up as scheduled not because he was called by RCMP. But I’m just assuming.
Tourist couple found dead off B.C. highway were ‘happy’ and ‘confident,’ bystanders say

“JW, the tow truck driver who pulled the van from the crime scene to Fort Nelson nearly four hours away, told Global News Sunday he didn’t know he’d be handling evidence in a murder investigation until he arrived on scene.

“[The officers] didn’t let me touch anything, they wouldn’t let me go around to the back of the vehicle until I got it onto the truck to tie it on,” he said.

Once he got to the back of the van, Wright noticed the rear window was smashed, but couldn’t say whether it was shot out. He also couldn’t see anything inside the van.“

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member