Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #53

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letecia Stauch trial to begin March 20 despite issue with sanity report​

Issues with the sanity report for Letecia Stauch, who is accused of killing her 11-year-old stepson Gannon in January 2020, put the start of her jury trial in jeopardy on Thursday.

The report has still not been filed with the court, 4th Judicial District Attorney Michael Allen said at the start of Stauch's pre-trial readiness hearing.

Allen indicated he and the other attorneys prosecuting the case were ready for trial, but not having the second sanity report was a serious complication.

Allen said that if the report was not received before trial, the prosecution could move to exclude the expert conducting the sanity evaluation, who was referred to as "Dr. Lewis" throughout Thursday's hearing, from testifying at trial.

Allen said not having the report borders on "bad faith" from the defense's expert.

"This is a disrespect to court deadlines," Allen said. "I've never seen anything like this."

The frustration from Allen was shared by Judge Gregory Werner, who openly questioned how 13 months after Stauch pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to all charges — and seven months since Stauch's first sanity report was filed with the court — that the defense's report had yet to be filed.

Weird because Cathy tweeted that they'd be re-streaming the webinar.

Cathy Russon
Letecia Stauch in court today for final pretrial hearing ahead of trial. We CAN broadcast this trial. The caveat is we can only use the court's webinar feed. Won't be perfect but we know there is a ton of interest in this case. Openings April 3rd. #GannonStauch

Sounds similar to what the court granted during the Redwine trial. However, for the rest of us, pursuant to Colorado law, the Court's Webinar may not be recorded, rebroadcasted, or redistributed.

During the hearing today, I only recall hearing two media names-- the Gazette and a local TV station but this was for who would be allowed a seat during jury selection. I missed the first 15-20 minutes of the hearing.

I knew she mumbled something when Judge Werner told her that not wearing street clothes might prejudice the Jury towards her but I couldn’t understand her.
< insert eye roll emoji >
Whatta drama Queen.
JMO

[…]

Werner gave a hard deadline of Thursday for the second sanity report to be filed, regardless of if the requested MRI is completed.

"Convey to your expert that it's not a suggestion, it's not a guideline ... it's a deadline," Werner said. "If she (Dr. Lewis) wants to testify here in this case, it has to be done (by the deadline)."

Jury selection is set to begin March 20, and opening statements are scheduled for April 3.

At the end of the hearing, Stauch told Werner that she would not dress up for the trial and will instead wear her El Paso County jail jumpsuit.

"It won't matter," Stauch said
when Werner told her that wearing a jumpsuit may impact the way the jury views her, and that she has a right to dress in civilian clothes for the trial.

[…]

Sounds similar to what the court granted during the Redwine trial. However, for the rest of us, pursuant to Colorado law, the Court's Webinar may not be recorded, rebroadcasted, or redistributed.

During the hearing today, I only recall hearing two media names-- the Gazette and a local TV station but this was for who would be allowed a seat during jury selection. I missed the first 15-20 minutes of the hearing.
KRDO was the station he mentioned

[…]
Fourth Judicial District Attorney Michael Allen said that despite not having the final sanity report from a defense expert in hand, the prosecution still wanted to move forward with the set trial date of March 20.

Allen said the prosecution’s hope is to receive the report prior to March 20 so its team can have experts from the state hospital interpret the findings.

The defense said it would continue doing all it could to get the report to the people and the court by the deadline, and understood the court’s concerns. The defense also stated it had dropped off a flash drive to the prosecution and was unaware that everything was not turned over.

Werner ordered that the defense expert submit the final sanity report to the court by Thursday, March 16, at 5 p.m.

“It is not a suggestion, it is not a guideline, it is not a hope, it is a deadline,” Werner said.
[…]

(EL PASO COUNTY, Colo.) — Monday, March 20 will begin the trial and jury selection process for Letecia Stauch, who is accused of killing her 11-year-old stepson Gannon.

Stauch was present in court on Thursday, March 9 for a Pre-Trial Readiness Conference, where Judge Gregory Werner asked Stauch if she would be “dressing out” for the trial, to which Stauch responded that she is choosing to wear her inmate jumpsuit.

4th Judicial District Attorney (DA) Michael Allen said, despite not having the final sanity report from a defense expert in hand, that the prosecution still wanted to move forward with the set trial date of March 20.

DA Allen said the prosecution’s hope is to receive the report prior to March 20, so its team can have experts from the State Hospital interpret the findings.

Trial for Colorado woman accused of murdering her stepson, Gannon Stauch, still on as scheduled​

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - The trial date for Letecia Stauch, the woman accused of killing her stepson Gannon, is going on as scheduled.

Letecia made a court appearance on Thursday for a pre-trial hearing.

The trial for Stauch is scheduled to start March 20. The state of Stauch’s mental health has been in question as she has undergone multiple mental health evaluations. Originally, Stauch entered a plea of not guilty for murder, she later changed her plea to not guilty by reason of insanity. Gannon was only 11 when he was reported missing. According to the defense, the evaluation is a “sanity” eval, meaning an expert is expected to decide whether or not Letecia was sane at the time of the crime.

The defense requested the trial and the prosecution agreed.

I shall shorten this up a bit... :)

Thursday, March 9th:
*Pretrial Readiness Conference Hearing (Murder) & Review Hearing (escape attempt) (@ 1:30pm MT) – CO – Gannon Stauch (11) (reported missing Jan. 27, 2020, Colorado Springs; found Mar. 17, 2020 in Pace, FL., Santa Rosa County; ID’d on June 6, 2020) – *Letecia Lynn (or Leann) Stauch (36/now 39) aka Letecia “Tecia” Lynn Hardin (maiden name) & Letecia Lynn Hunt (1st married name) Tiffany Taylor Stauch & Taylor Swift arrested (in Myrtle Beach, S.C. on 3/2/20) & advised of charges (3/5/20) & formally charged & arraigned (3/11/20) with 1st degree murder of a child under 12, child abuse resulting in death, tampering with deceased human body & tampering with physical evidence. No plea entered. Held without bond. [see below for re-filed charges].
Charged (re-filed 3/20/20) & arraigned (11/4/21) with 2 counts of 1st degree felony murder (after intent & deliberation), 2nd degree felony child abuse resulting in death, 3rd degree felony tampering with deceased human body, 6th degree felony tampering with physical evidence & 8 counts of crime of violence (special enhancer: firearm, blunt instrument, knife or sharp instrument & causing the death of Gannon). Held without bond. Plead not guilty. On 2/11/22 changed plea to not guilty by reason of insanity.
Charged (filed 5/20/20) & charged (6/5/20) with solicitation to commit escape. $2K bond. Plead not guilty.
Trial set to begin on 3/20/23 with jury selection (could take up to 14 days). Trial will begin on 4/3/23 (6 week trial). Judge Gregory Werner set 4/3/23 as the earliest date that attorneys can begin opening statements, even if jury selection is completed earlier than expected.
12 jurors & 6 alternates to be picked. No trial on Thursdays. No trial on 5/12/23. Judge wants 12 jurors & 6 alternates.

Case & court info from 3/2/20 to 1/12/23 reference post #244 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...o-county-27-jan-2020-arrest-53.634533/page-13

1/23/23: [O-25] Matters to discuss at 2/2/23 hearing. All motions were to have been filed by 12/15/22. Defendant previously filed a motion for change of venue & a motion to waive jury trial. Those motions remain outstanding. The Court did not receive any other motions by the deadline imposed by the Court. Defense's report from the 2nd evaluation has not been received by DA. Jury selection to commence on 3/20/23. Court will discuss mechanics of jury selection. Counsel should be prepared to discuss anticipated length of time for presentation of evidence for trial. The proposed venire will need to be advised of the potential witnesses in this case. The court will discuss media restrictions with counsel Filed by District Court Judge Gregory R. Werner. Next motions hearing on 2/2/23 & pretrial readiness hearing on 3/9/23, with review hearings re escape attempt on the same days.
2/2/23 Update: During Thursday's motions hearing, Judge Gregory Werner said the trial, set to begin with jury selection on 3/20/23, could potentially take up to 2 weeks. Fourth Judicial DA Michael Allen said the prosecution's case alone will take six weeks to present to a jury. Witnesses will be flown into Colorado Springs from all over the country according to prosecutors. Stauch's second sanity evaluation conducted by the defense is complete. The Fourth Judicial DA & the courts are waiting for those results to be handed over by mid-February. Defense said it would give the evaluation to prosecutors by 2/13/23. Stauch’s attorneys filed motions requesting to change the venue & waive a jury for her trial. These requests were not addressed by the judge during Thursday’s hearing. Instead, the judge confirmed a date of March 20 to start jury selection. A majority of Thursday was spent identifying questions that will be permitted on the juror surveys. These questions will deal with a victim’s age (11), a defendant's sanity & their familiarity with the Stauch case. Judge Werner said that jury selection for the trial alone could take up to 14 days due to the likelihood of many jurors being unable to be present for all six weeks of the trial. The judge said following the selection of 12 jurors & 6 alternates, presentation of evidence will start no sooner than 4/3/23, even if the jury selection is completed earlier. Per Judge there will be no trial on Thursdays. There will be no trial on 5/12/23. Jury selection will be audio only & media will be able to record live stream of trial. Defense wants potential jurors to be asked how they feel about a NGRI defense just like they are typically asked how they feel about the death penalty. Judge requests defense file a motion on this. Prosecutor suggests this can be part of the questionnaire. Judge is not averse to adding to the questionnaire but doesn't want an 18 pager -- it's a logistic issue for the court & scanning the document. Those issues should be resolved by February 16. Judge Werner plans to issue a summons for 75 jurors a day until they have a qualified jury pool of 50 candidates to seat 12 jurors & 6 alternates for the case. Stauch will return to court for the final time prior to her jury trial on 3/9/23 for a pretrial readiness conference & maybe a decision on the outstanding defense motions for a change of venue for Stauch's jury trial & a motion to waive the jury trial entirely in favor of a court trial were not ruled on by Judge Werner at Thursday's hearing.
2/2/23: [P-36] Notice of People’s Intent to Introduce Self-Authenticating Records at Trial Pursuant To C.R.S. 902(11) - AT&T. [P-36] People’s Attachment A to Notice of People’s Intent to Introduce Self-Authenticating Records at Trial Pursuant To C.R.S. 902(11) - AT&T. [P-37] Notice of People’s Intent to Introduce Self-Authenticating Records at Trial Pursuant To C.R.S. 902(11) - Life360. [P-37] People’s Attachment A to Notice of People’s Intent to Introduce Self-Authenticating Records at Trial Pursuant To C.R.S. 902(11) - Life360. [P-38] Notice of People’s Intent to Introduce Self-Authenticating Records at Trial Pursuant To C.R.S. 902(11) - Verizon. [P-38] People’s Attachment A to Notice of People’s Intent to Introduce Self-Authenticating Records at Trial Pursuant To C.R.S. 902(11) - Verizon. [P-39] Notice of People’s Intent to Introduce Self-Authenticating Records at Trial Pursuant To C.R.S. 902(11) - ADT. [P-39] People’s Attachment A to Notice of People’s Intent to Introduce Self-Authenticating Records at Trial Pursuant To C.R.S. 902(11) - ADT. All filed by the State. Added from 12/1/22: (P-33) People's position regarding the defendant's request to waive a jury trial. People object to defendant's waiver of her right to a jury trial.
Thank you @Niner you are the bomb!!

From my personal recollection of today's hearing:

Old Business:

The report by defense expert Dr. Lewis promised since last December is still outstanding!

Judge Werner spent much time discussing a timeline he drafted of the prior hearings, evaluations, and when the NGRI plea entered and he's baffled at the delays by the defense experts.

DA Allen suggested a conference call by the Court and attorneys to Dr. Lewis because they have no confidence in her word, and respect that the defense is only repeating the promises made to the defense.

Judge Werner cited case law where experts must adhere to the court's order for deadlines imposed by the court for information! Court confirmed the Defense is not waiting on any labs, etc. from the Prosecution, and nobody including the Judge understands Dr. Lewis's disrespect of the Court.

Defense is requesting an MRI.

The Court notes doctors previously canceled the request/order for an MRI a year ago and now they are requesting an MRI a year later?? The judge questioned why this was not done a year ago and whether MRI is even necessary. For example, if LS had any damage at the time of the incident that is detectable on MRI, it should have been detectable a year ago when MRI was first requested.

DA Allen confirms the State's experts Doctors Torres and Gray will testify towards the end of the trial and does not want the trial delayed.

DA Allen asked for a hard deadline for the eval report by Dr. Lewis on Friday, 4/17.

JURY Selection:

The Court denied the request for extended voir dire.

Court edited question #23 re. clarified NGRI defense on the juror questionnaire.

75 jurors will be screened at a time.
Each side will have 16 strikes.

Due to courtroom capacity during jury selection, only the following seats are available: 2 media, 2 security, and 2 family members for each prosecution and defense but there is no room for any advocates.

Only audio available during jury selection via Webinar.

TRIAL:

All attorneys must provide an inventory of their electronics to the Clerk prior to trial.

All computers in the courtroom by the prosecution and defense will be tethered during the duration of the trial. Each side must use privacy screens.

First come first serve for seats during trial.

Video/Audio available via the court Webinar:
Per the Court, this stream is not to be recorded, rebroadcasted, or redistributed.

Opening statements are limited to one hour for each.

LS confirmed she does NOT want to dress out for jury selection or for trial (she wants to wear her jail jumpsuit).

MOO
Why? Because she has no one to bring her clothes every day?!

Jury selection begins March 20. Trial begins April 3.
Interesting that LS is choosing to wear prison clothes. Hoping that Ms. Russon covers trial. moo

Stauch is choosing to wear her orange prison clothes at trial and not civilian clothes. Jury selection begins March 20. Openings April 3rd, each side will get 1 hour. Final competency report not in until next week but sounds like trial is on.

I had to step away from my computer and take deep breaths at this.

Of course she is. She needs to reference Orange is the New Black? No, wait. That's too sophisticated.

She is attempting to look crazy while saying she's not.Or maybe attempting to look sane while saying she's not. I've lost track.

IMO.

How exactly will Letecia prove she was insane at the time she murdered Gannon? Serious question.
I believe that’s her attorneys talking. Leticia does not care about anyone or anything except manipulating someone and walking out of court. She knows now that isn’t going to happen. What can she possibly say? “Gannon irritated me and I knew Al was going to divorce me. I was just a babysitter. Instead of walking away or fighting Al, I had to make him pay by killing his son.” That’s her line of thinking. Can you imagine any adult thinking killing a child out of spite would result in them winning? That’s Leticia. She wants Gannons dad to pay. Leticia doesn’t care about this trial. She just wants to look pitiful, like “look what Al made me do”. And all we care about is Gannon. What a beautiful little boy taken way too soon!

Refresh my memory--how long were Letecia and Al married?
They married in January 2015. The source below isn't the greatest but everything else I can find is paywalled. I'm sure that's the date reported when the story first broke though. So GS would have been about 6 and his sister about 3. HH would have been about 12.

I can just picture LS being wheeled into Court strapped in like Hannibal Lecter with that face mask on. Goodness, she will do anything and everything in her power to bring the drama.

This is about GANNON, not you LS.

#Justice4Gannon
I think she may go as far as to come in with hair looking like a buzzards nest and all unkept. I believe she wants to really play the part with the prison garb and Lord knows what else as if to show " Look at me!...I'm insane".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member