GUILTY CO - Linda Damm Juergens, 52, stabbed to death, Lafayette, 27 Jan 2007

Statement from Linda Damm's family

Our sister, Linda Louise Damm, age 52, was born in Spokane, Washington on 12-11-1954.
She is survived by her daughter, Tess Damm, age 15, born in Boulder, Colorado on 07-16-1991.
She is preceded in death by her mother, Diane who passed away in 2005 in Colorado.
Her adopted father, Leo, lives in Minnesota.
Her eldest sister, Helen, age 54, lives in California with her two daughters and one son. Tess came to live with her aunt Helen in the fall of 2006, but returned home when her mother was taken ill.
Linda’s younger brother, John age 46, resides in Colorado with his partner of 25 years.
Her sister, Leeann, age 42 also resides in Colorado with her husband and daughter.
We all grew up in the Colorado area. Our mother was an alcoholic and it was not an easy upbringing.
We want everyone to know that Linda made every effort to dedicate her life to raising her only child, Tess. We are sad to say that alcohol also played a significant role in Linda’s life. She was a functioning alcoholic for many years, however the last few years Linda found her addiction more and more difficult to deal with. We supported and encouraged her recent efforts to get help, but Linda was not able to conquer her addiction. This resulted in a downward spiral in her abilities to properly care for herself and her daughter, Tess.
The family realizes that there is a great deal of interest in this crime and we sympathize with the media’s need to inform the public of every detail. We ask that you realize, however, that we are not privy to any sort of “inside” information. We get our facts that same way that the public does and that is through the television and the newspapers. Each day we wake to a new set of facts just as you do. It would be impossible for us to make a statement regarding the case or our nieces’ involvement, simply because we know nothing more than those sources reveal to us daily.
The family would like to request privacy which is why we are not releasing last names. Our sister, Linda, was a VERY private person. Few people knew her closely and we want to carry forth that tone of privacy. We have agreed as a family however, to release a photo that was taken at a time when she was healthier. This is the only photo that will be released.
The family would further request that you would honor the memory of Linda in the following way.
* Love, honor and HOLD your children.
* Immerse yourself in every aspect of their lives-school, sports, and especially their friends.
* Know where they are and who they are with. When they are not with you, be absolutely certain that there is an adult that you know and trust to watch over them.
* If you are a single parent, you must build a support system for the sake of your children. This is not an easy time to raise children, especially alone. Hold your children extra tight.
* SUPERVISE all computer activity. Know their Myspaces and hold them accountable for every thing that they post.
* Teach them to value life, and maintain integrity, respect and to be appropriate at all times in all matters.
Our family would further like to state that we feel that every person involved in this horrific crime that resulted in the death and desecration of our sister should be held accountable. Our wish is that the truths be learned and each person prosecuted according to the role that they played in ending the life of our sister. We would also hope that each person will be able to receive the psychiatric rehabilitation that they might need. At the same time, we want Tess to know that we love her. We ask that all of you would try to comprehend the depth of this conflict within each of us in the family. The family were able to see and hold Tess on Wednesday after the hearing. Tess, Jared, Bryan and Jared have long roads ahead of them. Please pray for them.
In lieu of flowers, one of Linda’s close friends is in the process of setting up a fund to help the family deal with the sudden onslaught of the current and ongoing financial obstacles brought to our family by this crime.
There will be no further statements given by any family members for the foreseeable future, nor will we answer questions at any proceedings. We ask that you respect our privacy and allow us to the inevitable sadness, shock and grief that grips us at this time and will likely be with us for some time to come.
Thank you,

Written by Tess’s aunt, Helen on behalf of the family of LINDA AND TESS DAMM.

aussieone said:
Statement from Linda Damm's family

Our sister, Linda Louise Damm, age 52, was born in Spokane, Washington on 12-11-1954.
She is survived by her daughter, Tess Damm, age 15, born in Boulder, Colorado on 07-16-1991.
She is preceded in death by her mother, Diane who passed away in 2005 in Colorado.
Her adopted father, Leo, lives in Minnesota.
Her eldest sister, Helen, age 54, lives in California with her two daughters and one son. Tess came to live with her aunt Helen in the fall of 2006, but returned home when her mother was taken ill.
Linda’s younger brother, John age 46, resides in Colorado with his partner of 25 years.
Her sister, Leeann, age 42 also resides in Colorado with her husband and daughter.
We all grew up in the Colorado area. Our mother was an alcoholic and it was not an easy upbringing.
We want everyone to know that Linda made every effort to dedicate her life to raising her only child, Tess. We are sad to say that alcohol also played a significant role in Linda’s life. She was a functioning alcoholic for many years, however the last few years Linda found her addiction more and more difficult to deal with. We supported and encouraged her recent efforts to get help, but Linda was not able to conquer her addiction. This resulted in a downward spiral in her abilities to properly care for herself and her daughter, Tess.
The family realizes that there is a great deal of interest in this crime and we sympathize with the media’s need to inform the public of every detail. We ask that you realize, however, that we are not privy to any sort of “inside” information. We get our facts that same way that the public does and that is through the television and the newspapers. Each day we wake to a new set of facts just as you do. It would be impossible for us to make a statement regarding the case or our nieces’ involvement, simply because we know nothing more than those sources reveal to us daily.
The family would like to request privacy which is why we are not releasing last names. Our sister, Linda, was a VERY private person. Few people knew her closely and we want to carry forth that tone of privacy. We have agreed as a family however, to release a photo that was taken at a time when she was healthier. This is the only photo that will be released.
The family would further request that you would honor the memory of Linda in the following way.
* Love, honor and HOLD your children.
* Immerse yourself in every aspect of their lives-school, sports, and especially their friends.
* Know where they are and who they are with. When they are not with you, be absolutely certain that there is an adult that you know and trust to watch over them.
* If you are a single parent, you must build a support system for the sake of your children. This is not an easy time to raise children, especially alone. Hold your children extra tight.
* SUPERVISE all computer activity. Know their Myspaces and hold them accountable for every thing that they post.
* Teach them to value life, and maintain integrity, respect and to be appropriate at all times in all matters.
Our family would further like to state that we feel that every person involved in this horrific crime that resulted in the death and desecration of our sister should be held accountable. Our wish is that the truths be learned and each person prosecuted according to the role that they played in ending the life of our sister. We would also hope that each person will be able to receive the psychiatric rehabilitation that they might need. At the same time, we want Tess to know that we love her. We ask that all of you would try to comprehend the depth of this conflict within each of us in the family. The family were able to see and hold Tess on Wednesday after the hearing. Tess, Jared, Bryan and Jared have long roads ahead of them. Please pray for them.
In lieu of flowers, one of Linda’s close friends is in the process of setting up a fund to help the family deal with the sudden onslaught of the current and ongoing financial obstacles brought to our family by this crime.
There will be no further statements given by any family members for the foreseeable future, nor will we answer questions at any proceedings. We ask that you respect our privacy and allow us to the inevitable sadness, shock and grief that grips us at this time and will likely be with us for some time to come.
Thank you,

Written by Tess’s aunt, Helen on behalf of the family of LINDA AND TESS DAMM.

Hrrmm- so it appears Amraann has been in the right ball field all along. ;)

Masterj said:
You are comparing apples and oranges here lavonne. Andrea Yates case is much different than this one.
Just like I said.

OneLostGrl said:
Hrrmm- so it appears Amraann has been in the right ball field all along. ;)
Without reading back all the posts, I don't remember the little stir was caused by Amraann saying the mom might have been an alcoholic, but rather by a certain initial expression of lack of empathy for a murder victim. :)

What an powerful letter, from the family. They are in our prayers this per usual of what we see was brought on to them without asking. I think the underlying thing here is not alcoholism but society's lack of fear of punishment.

Boulder District Court Judge Lael Montgomery this morning reduced bond for Jared Guy, a teen accused of helping his friends try to dispose of the body of a 52-year-old Lafayette mother, from $500,000 to $50,000. Guy's defense attorney, Keith Pope, argued in a motion filed Monday that the Westminster 18-year-old suffers from attention-deficit disorder and developmental brain problems caused by premature birth and poor care in an Indian orphanage. As a result, Pope argued his client is is susceptible to peer pressure and manipulation. Guy was arrested March 2, and has been in Boulder County Jail since. He is charged with being an accessory in the slaying of Linda Damm and tampering with evidence. Guy told police he felt he needed to help Grove, whom he considers a brother because both were adopted from Indian orphanages by Boulder families.
Guy, who was set to graduate this spring from New Vista High School, told police that after helping Grove he gave up trying to tell his friend to surrender and decided to focus on straightening out his own life. The day after Damm's body was discovered, Guy was awarded the Metropolitan Mayors and Commissioners Youth Award by Boulder County commissioners for overcoming adversity and serving as an inspiration and role model. If he is released from jail on bond, Guy will have to go through the Boulder Valley School District's due process before returning to his special-education classes, said district spokesman Briggs Gamblin.

More about Linda Damm and Social Svcs intervention:

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=66375

LAFAYETTE – Police reports revealed that officers told a mother she should "act like a parent" to her daughter who is accused of later conspiring to kill her.
========
Somehow I don't think this would have changed things w/those teens. :twocents:

Taximom said:
More about Linda Damm and Social Svcs intervention:

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=66375

LAFAYETTE – Police reports revealed that officers told a mother she should "act like a parent" to her daughter who is accused of later conspiring to kill her.
========
Somehow I don't think this would have changed things w/those teens. :twocents:

I agree with you and it ticks me off that they are already starting to blame the victim. A lot of kids are raised in alcoholic homes and they don't grow up to murder their alcoholic parent. There is no excuse for murder. If this girl was so miserable at home with her mother why didn't she ask to live with an aunt or uncle or would they have taken her? If the family knew what the home life was like why didn't one of them offer to take the daughter until the mom got her life in order. I'm sure when this goes to trial Linda will be torn to shreads. The daughter is old enough to be responsible for her own actions. She made the choice to murder her mom....now she needs to be accountable for what she did.

Bobbisangel said:
I agree with you and it ticks me off that they are already starting to blame the victim. A lot of kids are raised in alcoholic homes and they don't grow up to murder their alcoholic parent. There is no excuse for murder. If this girl was so miserable at home with her mother why didn't she ask to live with an aunt or uncle or would they have taken her? If the family knew what the home life was like why didn't one of them offer to take the daughter until the mom got her life in order. I'm sure when this goes to trial Linda will be torn to shreads. The daughter is old enough to be responsible for her own actions. She made the choice to murder her mom....now she needs to be accountable for what she did.

Agreed. She could have left home, went to the police, a family member, social services. Wow, so many other options most reasonable people would come up with before murder. Of course then she could not have her freedom, access to her mom's bank accounts and live with her boyfriend :rolleyes: .

I grew up in an alcoholic and abusive household. I moved out at the age of 16, almost 17, and to this day can not have anything to do with my parents because they are so abusive and dysfunctional. I moved out though, found a shady apartment complex salesperson to rent to me illegally and worked my butt off (while going to school) to make my life successful. I never ONCE considered murder as a way to solve my problems.

She got rid of her mom and then used her mom's money and house to party and play house in with her boyfriend. For almost a month with her dead mom in the garage. That right there shows me that Tess is not right in the head and a danger to society. Anyone that thinks that a life is that disposable and sees murder as an acceptable way to make their life easier deserves to be locked up for a good long time. Normal minds don't think like that IMO even when they are under pressure or in a bad home situation.

Everyone has their share of bad stuff, stress and heartache in their lives. We can't kill someone over it.

UPDATE:

Linda Damm's family wasn't in court Wednesday to see one of the four teens arrested in connection with her homicide plead guilty to being an accessory after the crime. But Damm's sister said it might have been too difficult anyway to watch Jared Smith, 16, be charged as a juvenile and sentenced to serve two years in the Division of Youth Corrections, followed by six months of parole.
"I am glad not to be in court today," Damm's sister wrote in a statement she sent for the sentencing. "I personally do not know how I could look at your face knowing that you allowed my sister to die." The sister, Helen, who wouldn't give her last name, wrote in the letter that directly addresses Smith: "This will follow you and haunt you for the rest of your life. Just as it will us."
"The difference is, Jared, that we have no choice," she wrote. "You did."
Standing before the court and beside his parents Wednesday, Smith said he's sorry for the decisions he made, adding that he used poor judgment. The teenager also apologized to Damm's family.

Other excerpts from the family statement:
"The horror of what has happened to our sister remains the central point of all of our lives. We all are still experiencing nightmares. This in turn impacts our ability to function during the day. What little sleep our minds allow us is often so plagued with visions of the violent death of Linda that there simply is not enough quality sleep and we stumble into the day still numb. We cannot focus. We wander about and our minds wander as though we are in a fog."
"Our lives are forever changed. They say that time heals but now, today, a month after we learned what you children had done, there has been no healing. We remain in shock. We will never be the same."
"How do we move forward past this, Jared? How do we remove the image of three young people sitting at an IHOP table and planning such a horrific crime?"

I think this single mom made a huge mistake by letting the 15 year old daughter move her boyfriend into the home. There was already some trouble with the law or the girl wouldn't have been doing community service and didn't want to go to school. Linda should have put the girl into some sort of girl's town where she could get round the clock supervision and help.

Before the new charge was added, Damm's charges stood at conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, tampering with evidence, and being an accessory to murder.

http://www.longmontfyi.com/latest-news.asp?ID=16501

GOOD. Why should the others be charged with first degree murder and her not. She deserves the same sentence. She sat with the boys while they all planned the murder so as she helped plan it she is just as guilty...more so because it was her mother.

Linda Damm's good friend had taken in one of their dogs and has now taken in a second one. The dogs were very pleased to find each other again.

Requires registration:

http://dailycamera.com/news/2007/jun/19/dogs-of-homicide-victim-reunited/

When "Buddy" first showed up this weekend at the llama farm that will be his permanent home, the golden retriever seemed downtrodden, said the woman who adopted him.

Buddy was shuffled around for the past few months after being removed from a Lafayette home in late February, when police closed it off for a homicide investigation.

snip

One of the dogs, which was terminally ill, died last month. Buddy initially went to a foster home. A third dog, Sparky — a black Labrador retriever — was adopted by Lynley Nichol, who runs a llama rescue in Longmont. Nichol is a lost friend of the homicide victim, having worked with Damm at Rocky Flats in the 1980s.

Over the weekend, there was a bright moment in what has otherwise been a grim case, Nichol said. She adopted Buddy — and observed what seemed to be a happy reunion between two of the dogs that had lived together with Damm.

Sparky's tail started whipping back and forth, Nichol said, adding that she rarely sees it wag.

"Sparky's tail started going 90 miles per hour when he realized who Buddy was," Nichol said.

Teens' arraignment delayed in Lafayette slaying

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5657606,00.html

BOULDER — A judge today postponed the arraignment of Tess Damm and Bryan Grove, who are accused of killing Damm's mother in early February.
Prosectors and defense attorneys asked the judge for a delay because evidence in the case is still being tested.

The arraignment was rescheduled for Sept. 28.

Teen pleads guilty to tampering in Lafayette slaying

BOULDER — A teen accused of helping friends try to dispose the body of a 52-year-old woman has pleaded guilty in a
plea bargain that would keep him out of prison.
Jared Guy, 18, pleaded guilty today to evidence tampering, the Camera newspaper reported on its Web site.

Guy was accused of helping in two attempts to dump the body of
Linda Damm of Lafayette.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5656511,00.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back