Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #73 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted in the last thread: “@Bignuts45 Where was Suzanne's bathing suit that she wore in the proof of life selfie? Hoping it was missing as well, because I don’t think she’d wear it biking.”

Such a great point! I wonder if LE was able to find that bathing suit she was wearing. If not.. well I hope the defense team and Barry can give us an explanation.

Posted in the last thread: “@Bignuts45 Where was Suzanne's bathing suit that she wore in the proof of life selfie? Hoping it was missing as well, because I don’t think she’d wear it biking.”

Such a great point! I wonder if LE was able to find that bathing suit she was wearing. If not.. well I hope the defense team and Barry can give us an explanation.
And where are her bike clothes and all of the damp towels she used to dry off and get ready to put on here bike clothes?

And where are her bike clothes and all of the damp towels she used to dry off and get ready to put on here bike clothes?

Lauren Scharf mentioned something in the live broadcast last night. In the surveillance footage of Barry at the motel (?), he was carrying a garment. The witness called it a jacket, and the defense objected to it being called a jacket. Ok, a piece of clothing. But Lauren believes the footage likely shows that it is Suzanne’s biking jacket. The only showed stills at the PH, not video.

I think he took her biking clothes to Broomsfield and stuffed them in trashcans.

MOO

Lauren Scharf mentioned something in the live broadcast last night. In the surveillance footage of Barry at the motel (?), he was carrying a garment. The witness called it a jacket, and the defense objected to it being called a jacket. Ok, a piece of clothing. But Lauren believes the footage likely shows that it is Suzanne’s biking jacket. The only showed stills at the PH, not video.

I think he took her biking clothes to Broomsfield and stuffed them in trashcans.

MOO
And whatever the item was, it was the same teal color as Suzanne’s biking jacket. What are the odds? A teal article that is the same shade as his missing wife’s biking jacket, his hiking boots had to be thrown away 180 miles away from home, 15 minutes of work on a jobsite that he had to leave at 5am on Mother’s Day for, 5 trash stops, his truck has a reboot, his phone shows he is on the road near where his missing wife’s bike is found, when he says he is still home with his sleeping wife.

I think he had been mulling it over for awhile, but didn't really decide he was going to do it until May 6th. She wasn't going to budge this time.

i think something changed in his mind when Suzanne got sick - it was her second time. And BM he started looking around with “what if she doesn’t make it?” eyes. And just at the time when he decided in what way his life would change to the better if she didn’t make it, Suzanne beat cancer. I think to understand what he really wanted, one has to go back to the times of her treatment. To see, whom he was chasing? Younger, fertile, women, or rich widows? I think it was precontemplation phase, but what he, indeed, wanted, we don’t fully know. But we can find out.

Colorado dad charged with murdering wife found her texts with lover, prosecutors say

This ABC news link was discussed in the previous thread. I don't know if any of you are like me but I always read the comments. Unlike WSers, I presume most people who read about this case in the news only have a peripheral interest in it. If potential jurors are like most of the commenters after the article, the prosecution has a tough row to hoe in getting a conviction. I hope they have way more than they've given us so far.

Things that came up regarding the home security cameras.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1425182658787782659?s=21

Agent Grusing spoke with Sheila about #SuzanneMorphew list. More examples of grievances: concerns about recovering from cancer with #BarryMorphew still in the picture. Concerns about cameras in the garage. Accusing Suzanne of Boyfriend. They spoke with Barry about this.

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424778885913137152?s=21

Surveillance system was not operating the day that #SuzanneMorphew went missing. Investigators say the people living in the house before installed the system and it was not operating for several years. @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424779368102961160?s=21

According to investigations, #BarryMorphew told investigators he could bet $100,000 that "she" was the one who unplugged the cameras. He says he had a crew come out to fix the cameras and he didn't know if they worked or if "she" tampered with them. @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424779560264953856?s=21

Nielsen says DNA shows that there was a strong probability #SuzanneMorphew DNA was found on the cables that were unplugged from the system used to support the security cameras. #BarryMorphew @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1424780274529755137?s=21

In case you were wondering, there is no surveillance of the Morphew home from 5/9 or 5/10. The DVR was missing. Lots of talk about whose DNA was on the DVR cords. DNA test showed moderate support that Suzanne's DNA was on the cords, but Barry and their daughters' DNA excluded.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1424779242684960771?s=21
Now speaking about the surveillance cameras on Morphew Property. They were installed by the previous owners. The defense is referring to page 97 in the arrest affidavit. They are speaking about missing cords that LE found.

Neilsen said Barry never touched the cables missing from the DDR. LE took swabs of the cords. DNA from Barry, Mallory, and Macy were excluded. She is now showing Walker discovery of the DNA report of the DDR cables. GREY S cable.

Neilsen said Barry never touched the cables missing from the DDR. LE took swabs of the cords. DNA from Barry, Mallory, and Macy were excluded. She is now showing Walker discovery of the DNA report of the DDR cables. GREY S cable.

So the defense is showing that it was likely Suzanne who touched the cable. Now they are talking about a blue cable to see if Suzannes DNA was on that cable. What about the Power Cable... DNA mixture of two. Likely Suzanne and an unknown male individual.

Colorado dad charged with murdering wife found her texts with lover, prosecutors say

This ABC news link was discussed in the previous thread. I don't know if any of you are like me but I always read the comments. Unlike WSers, I presume most people who read about this case in the news only have a peripheral interest in it. If potential jurors are like most of the commenters after the article, the prosecution has a tough row to hoe in getting a conviction. I hope they have way more than they've given us so far.
Hmmm....I just read the comments going back 5 days & I'd say about 90% think BM is guilty as hell. Maybe our biases are showing?

Onl

So do you think a jury will vote not guilty because Suzanne had an affair? Or do you think the evidence isn’t strong enough?

Most news outlets have no taste. I still remember the Wattses’ case and “the mistress” article in Denver Post. Even with a pregnant wife being killed, even with two bodies in crude oil, the journalists could not stay away from taking multiple photos of “the other” woman and concocting that salacious article. And I bet that were it not for two young slain girls, “the mistress” would have written the book. (And even now, there are people who feel sorry for her).

The comments under ABC’s article about SM, like the article itself, are typical examples of misogynistic mentality. When she was BM’s high school flame, she was the victim. The moment it got known that she had another man in her life, it all changed from a housewife killed on Mother’s day to a “Colorado dad”. So did the photos - Suzanne was always beautiful, but for this article, ABC borrowed the one that shows a twinkle in her eye.

What about spinning it again? “Colorado mother survived cancer; now her unbalanced husband stands accused of her murder”?

MassGuy said:
If they thought for a second that this guy might be involved, I’m sure they would have released that audio.

They knew that Barry did this however, so there was no reason to do that. I’m just glad they managed to find this guy, as it would have been huge ammo for the defense.
I brought this post over from the last thread. I agree with you that they never considered JL a suspect but were very invested in finding him. I am glad that they did, too. His information just confirms their suspicions about their suspect, her husband.

I don't see how on earth anyone can think that the defense will have a field day with Suzanne having an affair. The prosecution will put on witness after witness proving this marriage was in shambles as well as present other testimony showing Barry in a less than desirable light.

I don't think that it will play well with the jury to sling mud at this victim who survived cancer twice. If Barry allows it, I hope that his daughters accept who their father really is.

JMO.

Last edited:
I think the murder itself had been contemplated for a while, and there is going to be evidence shown that he at least planned to kill Suzanne before he arrived home that afternoon.

Planned, doesn’t mean “well planned.”

Fotis Dulos put a ton of thought into how he would kill his estranged wife. This involved borrowing a coworker’s vehicle, parking at a specific spot, riding a bicycle the rest of the way, ambushing his wife at a specific place and time, transferring her body to his vehicle, and ultimately disposing of it.

Then he did what Barry did, and committed a trash/evidence dump that was caught on camera. He made more stops than Barry, but this behavior was otherwise the same.

In both cases, it seems as if the murder and body disposal was well thought out, but the rest of it was not.

I really wish we could know what he was thinking or how he thought it would all go. I will never understand the preplanned part. Surely they can think through things enough to know they can't cover ever detail. He even listened to other true crime cases and didn't he see they all got caught. Fotis Dulos also.. the hate of a single person is so great they just take the risk.

If this was all the meat an potato's offered, not nearly enough for me to find him guilty in good conscience even though I personally think he is. Nothing to do with her affair.

I think we will find that there is a lot of gravy to go with that meat and potatoes.

Basically, all they have to show in the Prelim is that BM was the last person to see Suzanne alive, no-one has seen or heard from Suzanne since then, Suzanne hasn't touched her bank accounts/her phone/her social security card, her secret boyfriend hasn't heard from her, their daughters and family haven't heard from her, their marriage was on the rocks and Suzanne intended to leave, that BM lied about seeing Suzanne sleeping at 5am, and that BM then immediately went on to dump things he couldn't remember all around Broomfield.

Probable cause.

(If not in the next two days of the Prelim) .... in the trial, we will hear the details. Where that biological evidence was found, what the details are of the forensic accounting on their finances, what those wired conversations with friends were about, how soon BM jumped onto websites to find a date or two or more, what other CCTV may have seen, what Suzanne communicated to her sister and to her best friend, and many other very specific details.

imo

Last edited:
I really wish we could know what he was thinking or how he thought it would all go. I will never understand the preplanned part. Surely they can think through things enough to know they can't cover ever detail. He even listened to other true crime cases and didn't he see they all got caught. Fotis Dulos also.. the hate of a single person is so great they just take the risk.
I think it’s a combination of arrogance and ignorance.

As far as the arrogance goes, that was put on display by Barry conversing with law enforcement on nearly two dozen occasions. He believed he could explain his actions away, and I’m sure this was based on past success.

The ignorance comes in the form of not realizing how your plan looks to others. Women who live low risk lifestyles, who live in low crime areas, don’t get abducted by strangers while on bike rides, with any regularity.

That is going to turn the heat on you immediately, and you’d better have your bases covered.

Barry did not. Not by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members