Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping for those who missed it earlier:

Sorry, this took longer than expected.

LINKS !! If you state something as fact, you MUST provide links.

Please note that sleuthing family social media is not allowed. This includes BM.

Posts that are considered directly accusatory against BM are not allowed.

There is nothing in MSM to substantiate speculation about a history of domestic violence. Discussing it as if it is a given is not allowed as it is accusatory against a person who has not officially be named a POI/suspect.

Thread is open again.

Fleeing, Leaving $$ Behind?
@Minordetails :) sbm Not sure how/why BM's (hypothetical) flight from CO. would "leave a lot of money on the table" whether he remains within the US or flees to another country. I could be overlooking something.
Access to $$.
Azz-uming he has assets, what would prevent his making withdrawals or liquidating, transferring $$ to location where he fled, as long as he executes a power of atty (or equiv.) document? If some assets are held in joint name w SM or another person, he may still be able to withdraw, sell, etc., tho perhaps necessitating a judicial proceeding.

Avoiding Extradition.
By moving from CO. to another state, not likely to avoid interstate/intrastate extradition, but if fleeing to a country w no or limited extradition treaty w US, then could possibly avoid international extradition, imo. A state seeking extradition from a foreign country to prosecute for state crimes must coordinate so US Go'vt is the party initiating procedure w other country.
Extradition law in the United States - Wikipedia

BTW, some ppl who are, or believe they are, suspects of serous crimes flee the US to escape criminal prosecution by feds or state, and in doing so, avoid paying atty to defend them in criminal proceedings within US, at least temporarily. If the country has extradition treaty w US, a fleeing person may be forced to pay for atty in that country to avoid or fight extradition. {ETA: Aaaannnd if extradiction challenge is not successful, may have to pay later for crim def. atty in US as well.} my 2 cts.

If someone knows how LLC's and non-profit tax exempt charities avoid taxes, they likely know how to secure offshore bank accounts, IMHO.

Probably giving their father the benefit of the doubt. It seems to happen far more often than not.

True but it is the hardest pill too swallow.
They knew their dad for multiple years a certain way. Let's say that he was a loving husband it is incredible hard to believe their dad could do this.
If he already was abusing in any kind of way, it is just as hard for them to believe their dad could do this.

Murdering their mother and then make her disappear is a level i think we never really can phantom.

I think it will take a while when the shock subsides and some thoughts linger in.

The call to police came in after 5pm, and the girls were still out of town (traveling home). Presumably, and I think according to BM’s YT interview, they were running late and had been calling for a while. Likely they were expected home by that time, and mom still isn’t responding...

MOO
I've not seen what time the 911 call was made. Could you provide a link, or anyone give confirmation? TIA.
If it were 5pm and BM didn't arrive back until 9pm, according to himself, that gives me pause. He was two hours and change away, is that correct?

I've not seen what time the 911 call was made. Could you provide a link, or anyone give confirmation? TIA.
If it were 5pm and BM didn't arrive back until 9pm, according to himself, that gives me pause. He was two hours and change away, is that correct?

Snipped of the press release;
On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Snipped of the press release;
On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.
Thank you very much. I don't think there would be traffic on a Mother's Day Sunday. The question is, when did his daughters first contact him that day.

Great take on BM's personality. I totally agree that he'll recreate his "living large" lifestyle in another location. He'll also likely find a suitable (in his eyes, anyway) replacement for Suzanne. He doesn't strike me as a man who could go it alone in life. He seems to need a good looking, obedient wife by his side. MOO
Who knows, some men have a piece on the side. I don't see him keeping house.

If someone knows how LLC's and non-profit tax exempt charities avoid taxes, they likely know how to secure offshore bank accounts, IMHO.
I could be way off here but I think we are reading into the "wealth" part of the equation too much. He has a nice enough house. LLCs are common practice when owning a business, you can start one online in 5 minutes for state fees. Adding "directors" to a charitable organizations is not that big a deal. Having a lawyer and an accountant is just good business practice. People with offshore bank accounts don't need to be added to a 30,000 GF* account. IMO

I could be way off here but I think we are reading into the "wealth" part of the equation too much. He has a nice enough house. LLCs are common practice when owning a business, you can start one online in 5 minutes for state fees. Adding "directors" to a charitable organizations is not that big a deal. Having a lawyer and an accountant is just good business practice. People with offshore bank accounts don't need to be added to a 30,000 GF* account. IMO

While I understand why people get disgusted by the gimme account, I do think many times those are set up by well-meaning family/friends who want to "do something". I'm not in the camp to blame BM for that. I wish they'd simply state they met their goal and shut it down, but I could also see where family who is supportive of BM might resist that if they think it looks like they no longer are backing him.

But I think the list of likely motives in this case are pretty short (if we assume its not a random crime of opportunity that doesn't require motive). If its someone close to SM, it's a short list and money is at or near the top. I do think that motive can surface over time (usually if there's another woman, it doesn't take long before they are living together, IMO); if there were marital problems and a pending divorce, it's hard to keep that from surfacing in time; if there were financial issues, that's easy enough to discover. I have to believe that if they are looking as closely at BM as it appears they are, these are things LE has to be digging into because it's probably the biggest hurdle of a circumstantial case like this - to convince 12 people that these high school sweethearts, apparently happy (if you believe social media) couple who were living the dream in a beautiful house in a beautiful area somehow devolved to the point where murder was an option. Even to prove a crime of passion and resultant cover-up, the state would have to prove circumstances that would lead to such a level of anger to result in a crime of passion. I think that's a huge hurdle and we really don't have anything but speculation when it comes to possible motive on this case. I believe we've seen as much on this forum - even if LE can catch BM in a lie and show he had the means and opportunity to do this - there will be individuals who simply can't believe he would do that - so a compelling motive is extremely important, IMO. And while we can sit here and speculate and can pull small disparate pieces of information we do know and come up with possibilities, I don't believe we have anything concrete (can I say that? too soon?) to connect to a likely motive. MOO, JMO.

Is there evidence that he didn't pay taxes he was liable for? (I apologize, I'm behind on the case details.) Or is there evidence only that he used current tax laws to reduce his tax liability, which is legal and imo good business practice? IMOO, if it's just legally leveraging existing tax law, without help or at least help from Google, which would leave a digital trail, he wouldn't necessarily know how to set up an offshore account. AMOO And I'm wrong at least as often as I'm right. :D

Thank you very much. I don't think there would be traffic on a Mother's Day Sunday. The question is, when did his daughters first contact him that day.

In the “interview “ with TD, BM says the girls texted mom, mom never responded, girls called the neighbor, and the neighbor called BM. BM asked neighbor to contact the police. MOO

About minute 7:00

I've got to hand it to TD...doing that spontaneous interview with BM took a lot more courage and composure than I could have mustered in those circumstances. TD reminds me of the old detective character "Columbo"

Someone appears to have done that, and the way law enforcement is looking at Barry, tells me they think it was him.

I say this because there have been a lot of Colorado murder cases recently, and most involved the CBI and FBI (so we know what to expect).

They are behaving as if this is a homicide, and they know who did it. The only way for that to be the case, is if they ruled out abduction. Plenty of women and children have been abducted while jogging, or riding their bikes. That’s not a crazy scenario, or one that would typically be ruled out right away. That seems to have happened though.

If abduction is ruled out, then that bike just has to be planted.
Good morning Mass Guy. You cleared things up for me yesterday, thank-you. I didn't know how to take the silence from LE. With zero information, interpreting their actions is all there really is, and you manage that in a very clear and concise way. I am thinking that this move also shows an extreme level of confidence in their theories?

Agreed. And add to that the electronic footprints that go with it, even if they haven’t gotten around to telling anyone anything yet. No doubt LE is in possession of SM’s Google search histories, relationship and self-help articles she’s read on-line, potential searches for new lodging, etc. Not to mention her email, voice, and text correspondence, likely her location history, etc. Same goes for BM. I’m betting they’ve got a pretty good read on the dynamics of the relationship now. And maybe a whole lot more. Just no smoking gun and no body.

It seems that, almost invariably these days, the electronic data provides the framework and everything else hangs off of it. I’d love to know what they know. Because I think they know a lot...

As always, everything above is MOO.
24Brix, you are exactly right! LE knows all these little (and big) details everyone speculates on.......and their actions are to look at BM, as MassGuy points out so well.

It takes time for the electronic footprint. What did LE see/know in the first 24 hours that made them believe that this was not a random crime, that SM did not get lost in the forest, grabbed by a cat, that she did not run off?
How many possibilities are there that they knew right off? The bike? The neighbor’s explanations as to why she called 911? Were there previous calls to LE? Was it BM and what he said on that first night? The personal item that made them know? I’m stuck on how quickly they shut down scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G@$p•