Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Poncha incident may just be another example of Barry wanting to be seen on camera, this time “searching for Suzanne”.

Yeah, this really doesn't make sense to me. Go to a market and ask them to be on the lookout for a bike helmet or cycling clothes? Where? Stuffed between the cans of corn and carrots? Left in the bathroom? Someone walking in wearing a baby blue helmet?

I don't know what he was doing, but I think the note was an attempt to divert attention from whatever he was really doing.

Here is the Google Earth street view, taken from the same set of cameras, at the same time as your Google Street View. The blue truck is parked in the left of the picture, and in the background you will see the large green dumpster, directly behind the white car at the pumps.

This is an unedited Google street view, taken from approximately:
38°30'43.13"N, 106° 4'35.25"W
looking northeasterly, which was accessed by using the search function for:
Poncha Market, Poncha Springs, Colorado

Thanks @Dave F. :)

The Poncha incident may just be another example of Barry wanting to be seen on camera, this time “searching for Suzanne”.
It's odd behavior IMO. I think he got caught doing something he didn't want others to know about - and came up with the note. If that's true, then was it noticed and no video was available or did it not matter at all?

JMo

BBM:

This happened after SM was reported missing.
LE was already asking questions at that point.
I think BM was nervous that heading off to any remote area would look incredibly suspicious.

Best guess is that something either occurred to him late or he noticed it after the fact and got worried that it might incriminate him, so he stopped at a public trash receptacle to dump it.

Serious shades of Fotis Dulos here.

I'd be interested to know whether this trash bin was in front of the store or at the side/rear of the store, and the size of it, i.e., whether it was just a regular trash can or a dumpster.

Also, would like to know time of day BM was at this store.
I'm wondering whether this occurred in the early morning before daylight or at night/after dark.

The DM article stated that BM was banging on the glass window to get the manager's attention, which means the store was likely closed at the time.

If that's the case, it REALLY begs the question as to what BM was doing there in the first place.

My main man William of Occam says he was tossing something into the trash surreptitiously.
Not attempting to retrieve something from it.

I'm definitely with my main man Will on this one.

JMO.

Good thought that maybe he was actually dumping something, realized he was spotted by an employee, and so then knocked on the door and made a small rucus to make it look like he was really searching for evidence of her disappearance.

Below is one other option that I was replying with before I spotted your suggestion.

Interesting about him looking through a trash can because isn't that now the 2nd time he was spotted near a trash dumpster. The other time being before she went missing when both him and SM were spotted near a shared dumpster near their home. During that other incident it sounded to me that he was not very friendly to the person cleaning out rental homes and he grilled that other person about what she/he was doing there near the dumpster.

If the report is accurate in this latest dumpster news, the fact he was actually spotted looking in that dumpster either means he really was looking for something that he wanted back like maybe her ring was attached to the helmet strap temporarily and he forgot to take it off the helmet before it was planted in the woods OR maybe it was just a ruse to make sure the employee spotted him digging through the dumpster to make it look like he really was looking for any evidence of her abduction.
An attempt to look more believable of his concern possibly.
JMO

It's odd behavior IMO. I think he got caught doing something he didn't want others to know about - and came up with the note. If that's true, then was it noticed and no video was available or did it not matter at all?

JMo

BBM:

It was noticed by someone, but the question is, was it reported to LE, and if so, when?

LE can't follow up on what they aren't notified about.

There's a reason BM didn't identify the missing person as his wife to the store manager.

He knew it would increase the likelihood that she'd contact LE about his odd behavior if she knew he was the husband.

That manager didn't strike me as being very assertive/pro-active whatsoever.
I don't think anyone from the store contacted LE about that interaction right away.
Regrettably.

JMO.

Last edited:
If I were that store owner, LE would not have had to come by to pick up the video footage. I would have taken it to them as soon as BM left.

LE also asked no one call, or show up. I think I might have waited for them.

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 18, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.

Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.

On Monday, 18, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. There have been more than 150 calls to the tip line since the phone line was activated last week. There were no targeted searches conducted on Monday.

Continued from yesterday’s update: Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.

Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. Please do not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL CHAFFEE COUNTY DISPATCH WITH QUESTIONS.

This inre to multiple posts, IIRC, the note was written on a crumpled piece of paper, probably did come from the trash can, and I think someone referred to raccoons dumpster diving, theres a tv commercial doing that and it is funny...
JMO we’ve sleuthed BM from the guilty POV, would be interesting to revisit some events with innocent POV, but that can wait I guess on an arrest.
I keep thinking, would a guilty person do this? No, they would choose every word or action, carefully because if her body IS found, their every action will be reviewed, etc.
Then I ask, would an innocent man do this?
I’m answering yes, multiple times. Because they are confidant that truth will come out, and it will exonerate them.
BM continues to react to events, like a ship without a rudder.

That's definitely a decent sized green dumpster. I don't see a trash can up by the building at all. Cars are blocking the view, but I also assume there would be a trash can by the gas pumps, but it doesn't sound like that would have been what BM was looking through. It's interesting that the PE guys said "trash can" - I would definitely refer to that as a dumpster.....

There is definitely a small black trash can sitting directly to the left of the front doors. (At least there was 05.18 when these images were last updated)
My question is, why that store? Why Poncha Springs?
And if he stopped there, after hours, to leave a note about her bike/helmet/clothing, did he stop at other little stores between home and Salida?
If yes, how come no one else has come forward to say he also stopped at their place of business?
That just strikes me as really unusual.
Pics are from google street view خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Attachments

• poncha1.jpg
    poncha1.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 39
  • poncha2.jpg
    poncha2.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 40
Yeah, this really doesn't make sense to me. Go to a market and ask them to be on the lookout for a bike helmet or cycling clothes? Where? Stuffed between the cans of corn and carrots? Left in the bathroom? Someone walking in wearing a baby blue helmet?

I don't know what he was doing, but I think the note was an attempt to divert attention from whatever he was really doing.

Just like his conversation with TD. A diversion.... but from what?

JMO

This inre to multiple posts, IIRC, the note was written on a crumpled piece of paper, probably did come from the trash can, and I think someone referred to raccoons dumpster diving, theres a tv commercial doing that and it is funny...
JMO we’ve sleuthed BM from the guilty POV, would be interesting to revisit some events with innocent POV, but that can wait I guess on an arrest.
I keep thinking, would a guilty person do this? No, they would choose every word or action, carefully because if her body IS found, their every action will be reviewed, etc.
Then I ask, would an innocent man do this?
I’m answering yes, multiple times. Because they are confidant that truth will come out, and it will exonerate them.
BM continues to react to events, like a ship without a rudder.

BBM
No, but a guilty person who is panicked sure would, IMO.

And, IMO, he is not reacting, he is hiding. When has he searched for his wife? Why hasn't he appealed to the public to help find her? Why don't his stories line up?

None of this, IMO, points to innocence or an innocent person, it points to a guilty person who is trying to cover his tracks.

MOO

There is definitely a small black trash can sitting directly to the left of the front doors. (At least there was 05.18 when these images were last updated)
My question is, why that store? Why Poncha Springs?
And if he stopped there, after hours, to leave a note about her bike/helmet/clothing, did he stop at other little stores between home and Salida?
If yes, how come no one else has come forward to say he also stopped at their place of business?
That just strikes me as really unusual.
Pics are from google street view خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
Wonder who else lives in Poncha Springs??

Remember that weird exchange, early, about who lived with Suzanne? Vague answer.

Is it possible BM was already in the process of moving out? Is it possible Suzanne expected to see NO ONE on that Saturday?

If he was looking in the trash for something, he'd been there before. Why and why?

He certainly didn't drive there with the purpose to alert anyone to his missing wife. Because he didn't.

JMO

Last edited:
BBM:

It was noticed by someone, but the question is, was it reported to LE?

LE can't follow up on what they aren't notified about.

There's a reason BM didn't identify the missing person as his wife to the store manager.

He knew it would increase the likelihood that she'd contact LE about his odd behavior if she knew he was the husband.

That store manager didn't seem very assertive/pro-active to me.
I don't think anyone from the store contacted LE about that interaction right away.
Regrettably.

JMO.

The manager called CBI and the tip line. She said she spoke with someone and told them what they had witnessed and what was on the security footage. She was surprised nobody ever came to pick it up. IMO relying on the employees to determine if it was relevant or not seems imprudent.
https://youtu.be/YqMbvKUd37Y

Wonder who else lives in Poncha Springs??
It just seems quite odd.
It's not as if there weren't tons of other places he could have stopped.
Not to mention, if travelling between Salida & Maysville, you actually have to go the opposite direction to end up at that little store, which is south of the highway (50) that you'd be travelling on. So, basically you have to go out of your way, to get there.
So again, why he chose that store at that time of day (after they were closed) seems rather odd, considering there's no way he could have actually expected to speak to anyone, since they were closed.
I do think he was caught off guard and hastily wrote that note to cover whatever it was he was really doing there.

jmo

LE also asked no one call, or show up. I think I might have waited for them.

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 18, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.

Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.

On Monday, 18, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. There have been more than 150 calls to the tip line since the phone line was activated last week. There were no targeted searches conducted on Monday.

Continued from yesterday’s update: Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.

Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. Please do not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL CHAFFEE COUNTY DISPATCH WITH QUESTIONS.

That announcement was made on May 18. Many videos of BM sittings could have already been given to LE. Moo

The manager called CBI and the tip line. She said she spoke with someone and told them what they had witnessed and what was on the security footage. She was surprised nobody ever came to pick it up. IMO relying on the employees to determine if it was relevant or not seems imprudent.

When did she call them, did she say?

Agreed.
At the very least, give them a current photo and a description of what she looked like, and not a photo from social media a year ago.
Was there any gray in her hair or was it shorter ?
Did she have any identifying marks such as a mole or tattoos ?
Some adults wear 'invis-align' brand of braces on their teeth.
Something that was current.
Even if none of these applied to Suzanne, why only a photo from the year before ?
Etc.
Imo.

It just seems quite odd.
Not to mention, if travelling between Salida & Maysville, you actually have to go the opposite direction to end up at that little store, which is south of the highway (50) that you'd be travelling on. So, basically you have to go out of your way, to get there.
So again, why he chose that store at that time of day (after they were closed) seems rather odd, considering there's no way he could have actually expected to speak to anyone, since they were closed.
I do think he was caught off guard and hastily wrote that note to cover whatever it was he was really doing there.

jmo
bbm
Good point.
Hmmm.

It just seems quite odd.

jmo
I wonder if he threw something out, such as a receipt, at some point over the weekend and then later realized it would be incriminating evidence so he went back to look for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa