Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s 68 degrees F here in the SF Bay Area right now. How likely is it that the virus dies in warmer whether? I could have sworn there was a study/article showing 48 degrees was the point at which it became less “stable”. Anyone remember that?

This was a misnomer and false information that was spread when the government (and certain people) tried to minimize the virus and told people even if they felt ill to go to work.

I'm still angry about the post this morning regarding the couple that flew from New York to Palm Beach and notified the airline that the male had coronavirus upon landing. They were held up on the tarmac for one hour and 45 minutes due to him. To arrogantly place everyone on the flight at risk is beyond words. And his wife knew!

yeah that's disgusting
they should be criminally charged

Great article for young people re: coronavirus:
Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu. No travel for leisure or business is worth this risk.
Young and unafraid of the coronavirus? Good for you. Now stop killing people | Opinion

Globalnews.ca on Twitter

#BREAKING: The Ontario government has ordered all publicly funded schools to be shut down for two weeks after March Break due to concerns about coronavirus.

I like that the decision is based on the advice of Dr. David Williams, Ontario's chief medical officer of health. It's so important for our political leaders to rely on the advice of our medical experts.

Schools will be closed from March 14 to April 5.

It’s 68 degrees F here in the SF Bay Area right now. How likely is it that the virus dies in warmer whether? I could have sworn there was a study/article showing 48 degrees was the point at which it became less “stable”. Anyone remember that?
Yes I remember...but but but..Florida? Australia? Central America & Mexico?

The State of Alaska put out a request this week “seeking information from interested parties for providing housing units that are quarantined to allow for monitoring for COVID-19.”

“The State wishes to identify companies that are capable of providing the housing units and gain an understanding of the potential project cost for budgeting purposes,” the request said.

The state is seeking “motel rooms, apartments, trailers, or other suitable dwellings,” the request said. The units must be located so the general public can avoid interaction with those being quarantined, it said. Apartments or hotels may not be suitable if there is a common hallway, for example.

Related: Dunleavy has signed an emergency declaration due to ‘slow-moving storm’ of coronavirus spread

Outside of Alaska, many communities with a large number of patients in quarantine have repurposed buildings to provide temporary space. King County in Washington, which is a center of the West Coast coronavirus outbreak, for example, is in the process of purchasing an EconoLodge in the suburban community of Kent to house patients, a move that has been controversial with some of its neighbors.

Is it allergies, the flu or the coronavirus? How to tell the difference

San Jose firefighter tests positive for COVID-19, at least 70 more exposed

SAN JOSE — One San Jose Fire Department firefighter has tested positive for COVID-19, prompting the testing of a second firefighter and the quarantining of 75 others, officials said.

Assistant Chief Reginald Williams initially said at least 50 other firefighters were exposed out of a staff of 750 at a press conference Thursday morning that also included Mayor Sam Liccardo.

San Jose: Three TSA agents test positive for COVID-19

SAN JOSE – Three Transportation Security Administration officers at Mineta San Jose International Airport have tested positive for COVID-19, prompting the quarantining of 42 workers and cleaning procedures. But TSA has so far declined to reveal any information about what those workers did at the airport — and therefore what kind of risk there was to the traveling public.

According to a statement from the agency late Tuesday, the officers who tested positive are receiving medical care and all TSA employees they have come into contact with over the past 14 days are quarantined at home.

Considering everything that’s being cancelled, I think Canada is pretty much closed for the next three weeks.

CP24
@CP24

·
3m

#BREAKING: All publicly funded schools in Ontario will be closed for two weeks following March Break, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the provincial government says.

Very good move.

Hi friends, I apologize upfront for asking a question without reading this thread. I just realized that there was a thread on the virus. I'm sure you have discussed this many times already.

My DH and I have a planned trip the end of March to NYC. We live in the West in a state with no cases so far. We are in our mid 60s, both with medication controlled high BP. My DH has asthma .
Our tickets are refundable.
I have gone back and forth every day, we are going. We better not. Of course we're going.

Here's the kicker: All our children and only grandchild live in NYC. See
my dilemma?

I'm not worried about getting it. I'm worried about getting it and giving it to someone else.
Our adult children have been very careful to not indicate to us if they think we should come or not.

Later today I have an appt. for a 6 month checkup after DVT and PE . I know that sounds bad but of course I have been on blood thinner and am feeling good. I am anxious to see what my Dr. says about traveling.
What say you?

Dr Edsel Maurice Salvana, director at the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology at the University of the Philippines, told Al Jazeera that a direct correlation between warmer countries and the slower spread of the virus "is a myth".

"It might deactivate the virus faster if it is in on surfaces, but it won't affect people who get sick from inhaling droplets from someone's cough or sneeze," said Salvana, who is also an adjunct professor for Global Health at the University of Pittsburgh in the US.
Will warmer weather slow the spread of coronavirus?

SANTA CLARITA (CBSLA) — As coronavirus fears grow, hundreds of people lined up outside a Costco store in the Canyon Country community of Santa Clarita Thursday morning.

March 12, 2020. (CBS2)

Aerial footage taken just after 10 a.m. showed a line winding all through the parking lot outside the store, located at 18649 Vía Princessa.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said reports that scuffles had broken out between shoppers in line were unfounded.

“Please don’t call 911 because people are cutting in front of you in line at the store,” the sheriff’s department tweeted. “It ties up valuable resources for real emergencies!”

“All is calm over at Costco,” the department later tweeted.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, COVID-19 — the disease caused by the coronavirus — is spread from person-to-person through close contact, usually within 6 feet, and mainly via respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

Symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath. People are likely most contagious when they are most symptomatic. Coronavirus can also be spread by touching contaminated surfaces and then touching your mouth, nose and eyes.
WATCH: Amid Coronavirus Fears, Hundreds Line Up Outside Canyon Country Costco To Stock Up On Supplies – CBS Los Angeles

Real quick, I wanted to share this with y'all. We just received the following email from our help desk at the military institution I work at:

"A malicious website pretending to be the live map for Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins University is circulating on the internet waiting for unwitting internet users to visit the website. Visiting the website infects the user with the AZORult trojan, an information stealing program which can exfiltrate a variety of sensitive data."

A malicious website pretending to be the live map for Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins University is circulating on the internet waiting for unwitting internet users to visit the website. Visiting the website infects the user with the AZORult trojan, an information stealing program which can exfiltrate a variety of sensitive data. It is likely being spread via infected email attachments, malicious online advertisements, and social engineering. Furthermore, anyone searching the internet for a Coronavirus map could unwittingly navigate to this malicious website.

Threat Details: A sample of the malware being deployed by “corona-virus-map[dot]com” was submitted and analyzed by and received an extremely malicious threat score of 100/100 with Anti-virus (AV) detection at 76%. This sample was labelled by Hybrid-Analysis as a Trojan.

Unfortunately, the worst of humanity will enjoy doing that.

The upside is that there are only a few of them, and the good guys will step in.

This happened after the 2004 tsunami as well. In this example, something great happened because of the *advertiser censored**** that infected a computer of someone searching for her Toronto neighbours who were lost in the aftermath:
When Jenny Oad of Toronto heard that tsunamis had battered Sri Lanka, her first thought was for the safety of her neighbours, Joachim and Mary Xavier, and their daughter Chris, all vacationing there in the now-devastated island nation. After trying and failing to get information over the phone from the federal government, she turned to the Internet, posting an electronic message on CNN's website.

The responses she got showed her the best and the worst of human nature. The worst came first. Someone sent a nasty computer virus in an e-mail entitled, "Your next vacation is going to be your own personal tsunami in India." That virus wiped out her computer's software and data, just as she was hoping to get help over the Web in her attempt to contact the Xaviers. "It was just pure mean," Ms. Oad said.

But she said her faith in humanity was restored after her computer was repaired, and she saw other responses to her CNN message, leaving her to marvel at the willingness of Sri Lankans to help in her search for her neighbours. Her electronic plea for help generated 20 answers, including one from a Sri Lankan news agency telling her people there had read her message, and from a cellphone company that offered to track the Xaviers using the trail left by their mobile phone.
Strangers help Canadians find loved ones abroad

Computer restored, journalists and cell phone companies found them, they arrived home safely. Bad guys:1 Good guys:20

Well its about time. His FB page is blown up with comments and I know his phone line is ringing off the hook because I AM one of the many calling. It's being manned by Interns. I've spoken to several, they are frustrated, know nothing other than the script and don't understand what's happening, The three I have spoken with have seen neither press conference,nor are they following the news. As of today, they are still referring everyone to VHD and talking endlessly about washing your hands. Sad, so sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member