Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus: London woman describes catching COVID-19 in Italy

A London woman who contracted coronavirus during a 28th birthday trip to Italy has been self-isolating since 6 March.

But before her diagnosis she came into contact with several people, including her boyfriend and sister, who are now also in isolation.

Asking to remain anonymous, she tells Sky News about her experience - and what it feels like to have COVID-19.

I’m in the UK and around Christmas time there was an awful flu going around. I spent 2 weeks in bed, Christmas was awful. It was all the exact symptoms of Coronavirus, I was given antibiotics for suspected chest infection but they didn’t work, it took me at least 4 weeks to fully recover and the cough lasted even longer. I felt almost as bad then as I did with sepsis 4 years ago, infact that’s why I went to my doctor worried that I had it again due to my high temp and cough, extreme fatigue and weakness. He said it was viral but as a precaution gave me antibiotics as I was so concerned about contracting sepsis again. After taking the full course of medication I felt no better and the symptoms were still there. A lot of people over here had the same illness at the same time. It does make you think.

In the study, published Wednesday, the team put COVID-19 into the air with a nebulizer, re-creating what would happen if a patient coughed. The findings, which have not yet been peer-reviewed, showed that the virus remained viable for up to three hours in the air, for four hours on copper surfaces, up to 24 hours on cardboard, and from two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.

Reposting this for awareness. 2-3 days on plastic & stainless steel is frightening. Especially on SS, as most restaurant counters are what? Lol. Thinking of fast food places, people hanging on the counters!coughing talking....expelling droplets. Yuk
"The findings, which have not yet been peer-reviewed, showed that the virus remained viable for up to three hours in the air,......."

This is the part that frightens me the most. If true, people can just randomly get infected everywhere they go just by breathing. Doesn't matter one scrupulously washes hand and never touches face. People need to start wearing N95 grade masks. I have to use elevators a few times daily. Truly frightening to get inside one. It is a shame masks are not available to all of us.

Hi friends, I apologize upfront for asking a question without reading this thread. I just realized that there was a thread on the virus. I'm sure you have discussed this many times already.

My DH and I have a planned trip the end of March to NYC. We live in the West in a state with no cases so far. We are in our mid 60s, both with medication controlled high BP. My DH has asthma .
Our tickets are refundable.
I have gone back and forth every day, we are going. We better not. Of course we're going.

Here's the kicker: All our children and only grandchild live in NYC. See
my dilemma?

I'm not worried about getting it. I'm worried about getting it and giving it to someone else.
Our adult children have been very careful to not indicate to us if they think we should come or not.

Later today I have an appt. for a 6 month checkup after DVT and PE . I know that sounds bad but of course I have been on blood thinner and am feeling good. I am anxious to see what my Dr. says about traveling.
What say you?
I'd say with your husband's asthma and your history of a PE you should cancel. There's too much of a risk. I have asthma and have a PE history, I'm not going anywhere that isn't necessary.

BREAKING: Disneyland in California will close due to coronavirus, only the 4th time in the park's history - NY

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

I hope Orlando will follow. We have thousands of college students and young adults working at Disney, they are at risk.

If they don't and an employee contracts the virus do to work, Disney will be in the hook for medical care.

This is gonna make them look bad....

Moo

Viruses are microscopic organisms that can enter a living host (like you) to live and multiply. Think of them like an unwanted guest that shows up unannounced, moves into your house, eats out of your fridge and begins to reproduce.

When a new virus makes its way into your body, your immune system realises that it’s not part of your normal bodily system, attacks it and tries to kill it. After that, it remembers the virus, so it can get rid of it straight away if it ever comes knocking again.

Just like any living creature, viruses change themselves to survive in their environment. Over time, they change in ways that makes it hard for our immune systems to recognise them. That’s how we end up with new versions of viruses, like this new version of coronavirus. Imagine your unwanted houseguest has come back, but with a wig and new glasses. Your immune system doesn’t recognise it, so it gets in the front door before your immune system realises it should fight it off.

What are the symptoms of novel coronavirus?
When you have a virus, it’s not actually the virus that makes you sick, but your immune system’s efforts to get rid of it. For example, your immune system can raise your body temperature and give you a fever, to make it hot enough to kill a virus. All the hard work your immune system is doing can also use up energy and make you feel tired.

Everyone’s body is different, and because symptoms are caused by your immune system and not the virus itself, different people can have slightly different symptoms when they have the same virus, and some people’s symptoms will be worse than others.
Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) – everything you need to know, in language you can understand

Last edited:
My son just texted me the University of Northern Georgia has suspended classes for two weeks starting March 16th.

UNG will temporarily suspend instruction for two weeks
Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, all University System of Georgia institutions will temporarily suspend instruction for two weeks to allow time for USG institutions to test their business continuity plans and online instruction modules and for state officials to continue to assess the current situation regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) in Georgia.

Coronavirus Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member