Hurricane Relief: Where are all the celebrities now?

My pleasure, Tom'sGirl. My husband woke me up to see Eric Clapton on CNN. He sang "Broken Hearted," a beautiful song.

When the wind blows down this hard,
Many a bond is broken.
See the water lie on the ground
From where the heavens opened.

Lord, how will you get through this night
With your dreams departed?
And who alone will comfort you?
Only the broken hearted.

It would be hard for us to keep a list of celebs who give, since the response is overwhelming from celebs and us regular old folkds, and we'll never know about the ones who did so privately, but every so often I like to add a name:

Seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong and his namesake cancer survivorship foundation will donate $500,000 to help cancer victims displaced by Hurricane Katrina get treatment.
Yahoo News

Dara said:
My pleasure, Tom'sGirl. My husband woke me up to see Eric Clapton on CNN. He sang "Broken Hearted," a beautiful song.
Dara, I was over at my mom's apt. yesterday and waited to see the airing which came on out here and 5:00 p.m. and it was supposed to also be aired again.

Eric Clapton is the bomb, and always has been one of my all time favorites even from the radical years :woohoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050904/ts_alt_afp/usweathercelebrities_050904195241Stars Celine Dion, Harry Connick brand N. Orleans suffering unacceptable

Quote 1 LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Diva Celine Dion and crooner Harry Connick Junior have rounded on US authorities over the slow response to the effort to rescue victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans

Quote 2 Singer and actor Connick, who hails from New Orleans and visited the stricken city last week, said he was horrified by the sight of the scores of bodies, including that of an old woman in chairs in the convention center.
"That woman was born a long time ago, and she died on the street like an animal essentially. And this is the United States. You know, this is New Orleans," he said.

more at link....

Tom'sGirl said:
Dara, I was over at my mom's apt. yesterday and waited to see the airing which came on out here and 5:00 p.m. and it was supposed to also be aired again.

Eric Clapton is the bomb, and always has been one of my all time favorites even from the radical years :woohoo:
I looooove him. He's donating the guitar he's playing to Marsalis' Katrina relief auction. My husband knew I needed sleep but he knows how much I love EC! Oh, and John Mayer was there, too.

If you miss it on CNN, you can catch it here. I watched it again and just like last night, I had tears streaming down my face. Those lyrics...

(I hesitated posting the link because when CNN aired it, they had a crawl that told you where you could donate, which might encourage some peopoe. But it's on the official Real Player site, so I assume it's legal and CNN gave permission and because, frankly, anyone who wants to give and has the resources has or will no matter what).

Dara said:
BTW, happen to catch Kanye West's comments? Looked like Mike Myers was going to pass out. And Chris Tucker looked shocked, too. I'm guessing they weren't scripted.

My face probably looked like theirs!! No, I don't think that was scripted. I guess he just felt the need to say how he felt and he did it. No one was expecting that :eek:

Again, there are too many celebs to name who are helping but I love that Macy Gray's been handing out supplies at the Astrodome. Oprah's been there, too. Among others.

Dara said:
Again, there are too many celebs to name who are helping but I love that Macy Gray's been handing out supplies at the Astrodome. Oprah's been there, too. Among others.
You know Dara, I have mixed emotions about so many celebs showing up with their camera crews walking around the rubble a week later, and I love Oprah.

Tom'sGirl said:
You know Dara, I have mixed emotions about so many celebs showing up with their camera crews walking around the rubble a week later, and I love Oprah.
Yeah, I threw her name in because, well, she was there. But Macy seems to have just shown up ready to work and not asking for attention. I did see her do a brief interview on CNN, but she looked beat. I was glad she was sitting; she looked like she needed a break! I could be wrong, but she seems to be there for the evacuees and not herself. At least I don't think she brought her own camera crew.

Dara said:
Yeah, I threw her name in because, well, she was there. But Macy seems to have just shown up ready to work and not asking for attention. I did see her do a brief interview on CNN, but she looked beat. I was glad she was sitting; she looked like she needed a break! I could be wrong, but she seems to be there for the evacuees and not herself. At least I don't think she brought her own camera crew.
I agree with you about Macy, getting her hands on the situation and helping physically.

Tom'sGirl said:
I agree with you about Macy, getting her hands on the situation and helping physically.
Since you already expressed a little cynicsim about some of the celebs, I can share this. My friend was over and of course, I had on the news. They showed Dr. Phil and had a caption like "Dr. Phil meets with evacuees." We said, almost at the same time "Haven't they suffered enough?"

Then we felt bad. Kinda.

Seriously, though, I hope he does help them. He has his moments, and maybe he really does want to help.

Dara said:
Since you already expressed a little cynicsim about some of the celebs, I can share this. My friend was over and of course, I had on the news. They showed Dr. Phil and had a caption like "Dr. Phil meets with evacuees." We said, almost at the same time "Haven't they suffered enough?"

Then we felt bad. Kinda.

Seriously, though, I hope he does help them. He has his moments, and maybe he really does want to help.
LOL.....I saw him on the news I think last night and he said he was so proud of his fellow Texans. Then I thought, well gee, you could rent out a big hotel to house some of these poor people yourself, you're a Texan.

I am so cynical about most celebs, for personal reasons. I see them dish out Turkey at the Los Angeles Mission to the homeless at Thanksgiving time for a couple of hours, get the photo op over with, then go home to thier elaborate affairs.

I feel this way, when one of them give their OWN PERSONAL MONEY, I thank them. BUT MOST give what their sponsors donate to them.

Tom'sGirl said:
LOL.....I saw him on the news I think last night and he said he was so proud of his fellow Texans. Then I thought, well gee, you could rent out a big hotel to house some of these poor people yourself, you're a Texan.

I am so cynical about most celebs, for personal reasons. I see them dish out Turkey at the Los Angeles Mission to the homeless at Thanksgiving time for a couple of hours, get the photo op over with, then go home to thier elaborate affairs.

I feel this way, when one of them give their OWN PERSONAL MONEY, I thank them. BUT MOST give what their sponsors donate to them.
I've done a lot of work with various charities, some with celebs, some with regular people. And I think in both camps, there are people who give time and/or money for a variety of reasons. (Not that I'm telling you anything you don't know). Celebs, I think, are often damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they do their good works in public, they're attention-seeking; if they do them in private, people often assume they're not doing them. But I've known some celebs that were so generous it was beautiful, and some regular folks who'll make you kiss their butts for a penny.

I surprised myself by having an immediate, almost visceral negative reaction to seeing Oprah there. And I only saw her for a few seconds, and I've always thought she is a great humanitarian. She seems completely color-blind, and I've always felt she genuinely wanted to make the world a better place. I was so puzzled by my reaction. I can't figure it out. Maybe it's some kind of disgust by association with Tom Cruise. But she just had him on the show; she didn't make him act like an idiot. Why did I react badly to Oprah? [Church Lady voice]Could it be thetans?[/Church Lady voice]

Dara said:
I was so puzzled by my reaction. I can't figure it out. Maybe it's some kind of disgust by association with Tom Cruise. But she just had him on the show; she didn't make him act like an idiot. Why did I react badly to Oprah? [Church Lady voice]Could it be thetans?[/Church Lady voice]
:laugh: Church Lady Voice.....just struck my funny bone for some reason.

:blowkiss:

FULL STORY: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050905/1/3uqmr.html

Actor, pilot John Travolta delivers food, vaccines to Katrina victims

Actor John Travolta and his wife, actress Kelly Preston, flew in their own private jet to deliver five tons of food for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Travolta, an experienced pilot, flew the supplies to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, then toured the flooded city of New Orleans and visited rescue workers and shelters for evacuees. The two movie stars also brought along 400 doses of tetanus vaccines for rescuers.

The star of "Saturday Night Fever" and "Pulp Fiction" told AFP he was coordinating with Oprah Winfrey to get even more relief for the more than a million people affected by one of the worst storms in US history.

"That's our job today," he said. "We're hoping this time we're effective."

At the Jefferson Parish sheriff's command center, the two stars posed for pictures and thanked Church of Scientology volunteers administering tetanus shots to rescue workers. Both actors are Scientologists.

At one point, Travolta, 51, spoke quietly with Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee, then embraced him. Preston, 42, followed suit, with tears in her eyes.

"They've had such great loss," she said.

Travolta is the latest in a stream of sports, literary and entertainment celebrities to reach out to the victims of Katrina, the worst-ever storm to hit the United States.

Others, such as Canadian diva Celine Dion, rapper Kanye West and crooner Harry Connick Jr, a New Orleans native, have been harshly critical of government responses to the disaster.

Travolta declined to join in the criticism, saying he had seen both good and bad. :)

SimonSays said:
:blowkiss:

FULL STORY: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050905/1/3uqmr.html

Actor, pilot John Travolta delivers food, vaccines to Katrina victims

Actor John Travolta and his wife, actress Kelly Preston, flew in their own private jet to deliver five tons of food for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Travolta, an experienced pilot, flew the supplies to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, then toured the flooded city of New Orleans and visited rescue workers and shelters for evacuees. The two movie stars also brought along 400 doses of tetanus vaccines for rescuers.

The star of "Saturday Night Fever" and "Pulp Fiction" told AFP he was coordinating with Oprah Winfrey to get even more relief for the more than a million people affected by one of the worst storms in US history.

"That's our job today," he said. "We're hoping this time we're effective."

At the Jefferson Parish sheriff's command center, the two stars posed for pictures and thanked Church of Scientology volunteers administering tetanus shots to rescue workers. Both actors are Scientologists.

At one point, Travolta, 51, spoke quietly with Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee, then embraced him. Preston, 42, followed suit, with tears in her eyes.

"They've had such great loss," she said.

Travolta is the latest in a stream of sports, literary and entertainment celebrities to reach out to the victims of Katrina, the worst-ever storm to hit the United States.

Others, such as Canadian diva Celine Dion, rapper Kanye West and crooner Harry Connick Jr, a New Orleans native, have been harshly critical of government responses to the disaster.

Travolta declined to join in the criticism, saying he had seen both good and bad. :)
You know, John has been on my mind since I know he has his plane right there where he lives.

More than kudos to he and Kelly..........he's such a cool guy and doesn't preach his belief in Scientology!

Amazing! Tetanus vaccines! He got tetanus vaccines!

FEMA couldn't get food and water five days after a hurricane to dying people and John Travolta got tetanus vaccines there! It's great, but also surreal.

I thought it was absolutely amazing & heartfelt ~ reading that made me cry. :blushing:

Dara said:
Amazing! Tetanus vaccines! He got tetanus vaccines!

FEMA couldn't get food and water five days after a hurricane to dying people and John Travolta got tetanus vaccines there! It's great, but also surreal.
I saw them giving Tetnus shots to a lot of the people that were boarding planes that were being transported last night.

Most of us or our children have had one, they're good for many years, but some of those poor people I'm sure haven't even had their children innoculated with the basics.

By the way, I found this from 2004 and found it interesting, wonder if the same will give this time?

Celebs, Moguls Step Up To Plate
Jan. 4, 2004

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/03/entertainment/main664478.shtml

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member