ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit behind on reading but really hope there has been no suggestion that stalking is somehow flattering or favorable in some way.

It's terrifying and dangerous.
I just think one of the most puzzling things is why did this person not take everyone in the house?

Also I find it interesting that they keep saying they got a ride from a “private party.” (Strange they don’t name who that is?)

One more strange thing is that they keep saying that a roommate or friend called 911 to say there was an unconscious roommate. There was supposedly blood everywhere and that’s the description they say?? Just unconscious? How about “come quick there’s blood everywhere and multiple people look slaughtered??!! Maybe the police are choosing to use these vague terms on purpose because they are still talking to people and don’t want to tip off possible perps during questioning.

Well, when it hits MSM it most definitely can be discussed. I do find some things interesting about it. And, I believe it is another good opportunity for us WS loyals to explain why it is good to keep tips private. I am disappointed in FOX for airing that, and think that they (fox) used the names of the mentioned Facebook group and admin to somehow distance themselves somewhat. People really need education on allowing police to handle things, IMHO.

With that said, I am not sure the video does anything for the public except add one more name to the mix, which is sad. But it is interesting to hear the dialogue.
I appreciate your post and perspective. I just watched Lawrence Jones- Across the Nation, and they showed the walking video still and actually gave me further food for thought . So, as others have mentioned it’s all in the eyes of the beholder what one takes away from the info. I just hope all these bits and pieces lead us in the right direction.

The one situation where I can envision a longer visit by the killer is if he didn’t know about the two downstairs roommates. If he thought he was alone in the house after the murders, he may have thought it was safe to hang around without being discovered. If part of his motive was a feeling of power, he may have even been inclined to stay a while and revel in what he had done.
True, the killer may have stuck around for a while. Joseph DeAngelo hung around in the homes of his victims and would sometimes open a beer or eat their food.

I wonder if the perp took any trophies from the crime scene.

I'm really confused by the audio in this article. I'm hearing the name Ash at the beginning of the question. Who is Ash? I assume it is short for Ashley? If this has been covered I apologize, but if this is in fact Kaylee and Maddie, then why did one call the other Ash? If in fact it is Ash being said.

Well we don't actually know where they got it.
Many people know lots about cars and can more easily describe them accurately.
True, but... I can't see MPD trusting an eyewitness enough to limit their search. Eyewitness accounts are notoriously inaccurate. And there would've been no reason for any eyewitness to pay close attention to a white Elantra the night before. That's about as generic a car as you can find.

If they first noticed something very wrong with the car that indicated a crime had occurred, that would change things. I believe that is unlikely for 2 reasons: (1) MPD's timeline for releasing info to the public, and (2) we already know LE has tons of video from the area. It stands to reason whatever car they're searching for appears on some of that video.

I kind of do too because that would explain my theory of K&M being attacked literally minutes after they stopped calling JD.

OTOH, if there was indeed as much rage in these killings, as what's been speculated since the beginning, then I just cannot see any killer having the amount of control needed to be unseen and unheard for the hour or longer he would have to have had while K&M did whatever they did from the time they got home to the time they actually went to bed or fell asleep. All MOO

here's what I've been wondering. We don't know that X & E and K & M arrived together. I was wondering if the killer could have waited and watched from outside, then when deemed safe, gone into X & E's room first, killed them, and then waited there until it was clear K & M were actually asleep. It would minimize the full-blown risk of waiting inside before anyone was home, anything the downstairs roomie heard could have been chalked up to 'couple in love' potentially. the killer would know X & E weren't going to catch him and probably no one was going to go into the sleeping couple's room. is this in any way plausible? ALL JMO JMI, just curious if anyone else has thought about that. edited for clarity, not that I probably did much good ;)

Last edited:
First post on this case, I’m late to the table here — this may be a nothing comment to those of you fully entrenched in this case, or maybe other Elantra owners will disagree with me.

I find the Hyundai Elantra interesting — I owned one for 13 years, albeit the short-lived “Touring” body (sort of a station wagon look) with a manual transmission (<3000 lbs), and it would not be my car of choice if I resided in snowy Idaho.

Don’t get me wrong. I am a huge Hyundai fan and now drive a Palisade, but the Elantra is a light car and with factory tires, didn’t hold traction in snow or ice. After the first snowy day with my Elantra, I knew from then on I would be walking, using public transportation, or staying home when it sleeted or snowed. My Elantra is the only car I’ve ever owned or driven that I felt unsafe to drive in snowy or icy conditions.

So maybe the subject white Elantra *was* rented or borrowed from an jurisdiction with a warmer climate — *or* a red herring!
Winter tires? With 4 months of Winter, wouldn't Idaho vehicles have all season tires?

A 2011-13 white vehicle that police want to find sounds like a cheap car that might be one of the things that someone left behind when studies were finished. I'm curious about similar vehicles that were not re-registered in Idaho after 2013.

MPD asked for help finding a 2011-2013 Elantra. To me, the fact that they're able to narrow it down to those years indicates they have something better than an eyewitness account - possibly video or an image of some sort.

If the Elantra was a red herring from a tip, that means someone deliberately mislead investigators. Anyone found doing so would immediately come under suspicion. Seems unlikely. What would be the motive for anyone other than the murderer?

You're also implying that the car behind the reporter at 3:01 of this video could be the white Elantra. Are you basing that on something more than it being a light colored car in the area? Because that is a huge stretch. Also, the car does not look like the Elantra stock images to me.
Your point #1 - they have the account of a sighting from the subject's Q&A after the sighting in the news video

#2 - Exactly, or else this person just wants the attention.

#3 - I'm not saying the car behind the reporter is "the" white Elantra. In my opinion, "someone" saw that vehicle on the news footage then "they" said they saw a white Elantra in their parking area when they returned home from work the night of the murders. Through all the footage and articles I have seen this guy in the Q&A is the first to have named a white Elantra as being in the area.

Interesting observation that many agree with, although LE has called it a sloppy crime. I don't think so.

LE hasn't publicized how the killer entered. I cannot help but wonder if the killer wasn't inside the house Saturday evening when no one was home. Seems the survivors went to their respective rooms on the first floor, went to bed immediately. Perhaps he was hiding on the second floor, waiting for the right moment or right people.
I think 'sloppy' was put out by LE early on for their own reasons - jmo, of course. if this were sloppy and off-the-cuff inner-circle rage, they'd have the killer by now imo.

I posted my thoughts on the waiting game below this, too.

I actually agree that it is entirely possible that owner has not heard of the murders.

Or if they have, they have not followed closely.

This could arise with tourists passing through or there with others to party that weekend.

What I don't understand is why LE have not uncovered ownership details by now as they have access and personnel to check every and all databases.

It might not be the car at all.

Perp could still be local and travelling on food, bicycle or any other vehicle.

Nothing makes sense.
It's a blessing the CCTV footage from the club has not been made public because it would have led to many more innocents being accused wrongly by social media without ethics.
The fact that LE has alerted Canadian border patrol and that they are weeding through 22,000 Elantras says alot. I think the driver of the Elantra is very much aware of the murders.

First post on this case, I’m late to the table here — this may be a nothing comment to those of you fully entrenched in this case, or maybe other Elantra owners will disagree with me.

I find the Hyundai Elantra interesting — I owned one for 13 years, albeit the short-lived “Touring” body (sort of a station wagon look) with a manual transmission (<3000 lbs), and it would not be my car of choice if I resided in snowy Idaho.

Don’t get me wrong. I am a huge Hyundai fan and now drive a Palisade, but the Elantra is a light car and with factory tires, didn’t hold traction in snow or ice. After the first snowy day with my Elantra, I knew from then on I would be walking, using public transportation, or staying home when it sleeted or snowed. My Elantra is the only car I’ve ever owned or driven that I felt unsafe to drive in snowy or icy conditions.

So maybe the subject white Elantra *was* rented or borrowed from an jurisdiction with a warmer climate — *or* a red herring!

I think the important words here are "factory tires." Not many cars do well in snow and ice on factory tires. Admittedly I've never driven an Elantra, but I have driven quite a few rear wheel drive cars on snow and ice. Tires make all the difference.

I learned something. I've always thought of a 'red herring' as deliberately misleading information, but apparently it is more broad. "Wikipedia: a red herring may be intentional or unintentional; it is not necessarily a conscious intent to mislead."

I just think one of the most puzzling things is why did this person not take everyone in the house?

Also I find it interesting that they keep saying they got a ride from a “private party.” (Strange they don’t name who that is?)

One more strange thing is that they keep saying that a roommate or friend called 911 to say there was an unconscious roommate. There was supposedly blood everywhere and that’s the description they say?? Just unconscious? How about “come quick there’s blood everywhere and multiple people look slaughtered??!! Maybe the police are choosing to use these vague terms on purpose because they are still talking to people and don’t want to tip off possible perps during questioning.
Because the downstairs roommates were not involved in what came to a head the night of the murders.

(Q&A with Moscow neighbor)
(KTVB video day after the murders)

I believe the
Elantra tip could be a red herring offered up by someone to sway the investigation in a different direction.

In the KTVB video a white, possible Elantra is seen driving down the street behind the reporter. In the video it is also stated, erroneously, one of the victims is from Arizona. (It was corrected later to state all victims were from Idaho.)

In the Q&A, which was conducted AFTER the KTVB segment, the subject says he saw a white Elantra and he also spotted a license plate in the parking complex from Arizona, or he said maybe it was Montana or Colorado.

In my opinion only, he is injecting himself into the investigation and repeating information that he gleaned from other sources and never personally saw.

The white vehicle lead must still be followed up though, if only for it to be eliminated, if need be.
X's father is now from AZ. He visited a week before the murders to fix and fixed a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abigailsmaurer