IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by IceIce9, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

Considering the fact that lawsuits don’t have to be filed immediately, your point that it was intended as a distraction from grandfather is well taken. I wonder if they sought out the attorney Winkleman or if he contacted them. Since he litigates against cruise companies, I assume it was the latter. He probably filled their grieving, conflicted minds with the idea that they had to get a jump on LE by filing suit immediately and that he could make the criminal charges go away. I don’t think the money was the family’s original motivation, but money works well for Winkleman and they went along with his persuasion. I consider him predatory.
    JMO

borndem, abr, sl222 and 13 others like this.

2. they'll get you

they'll get you CHRIS. P. BACON

A bloody big boat.

3. they'll get you

they'll get you CHRIS. P. BACON

It’s the children who suffer the parents stupidity.

Just now in Sydney Aust. a 2 year old child has fallen out of a three story bedroom window.....yet again.

How many times does this have to happen before people realise not to put bunk beds against a window.

tabitha111, abr, justbreathe and 10 others like this.
  4. 1&2&3

1&2&3 Well-Known Member

The quickly filed suit made me think it was due to the fact the mother of Chloe is a lawyer.

My second thought was that with the father being an LE, together they thought the suit would take the focus off grandfather.

In other words, due to their knowledge and occupations, the cruise line would not question the accident. JMO.

tabitha111, abr, SuziQ and 8 others like this.
  5. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

The lawsuit wasn't quickly filed. It has yet to be filed, according to the family's attorney. Why would the father's profession have any bearing on the case? The child was under the care of her grandfather at the time of her death and LE are supposed to base charges on the facts of the case, not on the profession of the parents, both of whom are considered victims in this case. They haven't been charged.
    JMO

Family Stands by Grandfather Charged in Girl's Cruise Ship Death: 'Salt in Open Wounds,' Says Lawyer
    Winkleman tells PEOPLE the family is preparing a lawsuit against Royal Caribbean but have not yet filed it because they have not yet accessed the CCTV footage that shows Chloe falling out the window.

6. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

I guess we forgot the lawsuit wasn’t filed already. They talked about it so quickly that it seemed like a done deal. But it makes sense they couldn’t have a copy of the CCTV footage during an ongoing investigation. Now that it’s a criminal case, I expect the lawsuit will have to wait until that’s resolved.

MsBetsy, sassyblue, neesaki and 5 others like this.
  7. PaulR

PaulR Verified Software and Computer Tech

Almost certainly not, criminal vs. civil law. Difference is that Winkleman probably took this case on contingency (a hefty part of any winnings), those defense attorneys want to be paid in advance.

sl222, justbreathe, MsBetsy and 5 others like this.
  8. Safeguard

Safeguard Well-Known Member

Well that made my blood run cold. Could he actually have been playing that sick,
    "I'm gonna drop/toss you!" game some ( twisted) people do with toddlers? omg.

If that is what the video shows, well! Color me shocked! I really didn't believe his "Horse Of a Different Color" ever changing story, but my mind would never have gone...there! So much for the "she wanted to bang on the window/I didn't know it was open" excuses! God I hope thats just a translation error! ( But I have heard similar from the first person to speak of what was seen, and I feel like the homicide charges came down specifically because they could tell Grandpa knew that window was open and he put her, at the very least, far to close to it deliberately. But this just blows my mind...

Speechless! There were posters early on that thought this very thing! That he was trying to scare her, and he held her out the window! I was positive no one, drinking or stone sober, would be that reckless with a tiny persons life. WOW!

In a some cases I noticed, Family, couples, vigorously defend each other in the heat of the trial but cracks appear as the years roll on and the full weight of the truth inevitably, slowly seeps in and shatters relationships...

My opinion? Misplaced anger. They must be furious! But they cannot deal with the guilt of having placed their baby girl in the hands of her killer. Not yet.

I also think he had at least one or two...

MerBeach, tabitha111, abr and 14 others like this.
  9. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

@1&2&3 :) and Others

Imo, doubtful that Mom's & Dad's occupations would cause cruiseline not to question 'the accident' i.e., Mom & Dad's allegations in quickly threatened civil lawsuit.
    jmo, could be wrong.

justbreathe, neesaki, Lilibet and 2 others like this.
  10. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

(Threatened) Civil Case and Criminal Case
    @katsrfun :) Good question.
    Short answer: the two cases are independent of one another.
    Agreed, no winners among the parties.

MsBetsy, neesaki, Lilibet and 3 others like this.
  11. 1&2&3

1&2&3 Well-Known Member

The way the suit has been mentioned, one would think it was filed. It was brought up too soon after the death for many people to be comfortable with the mere thought of parents even thinking of such a thing. IMO.

I don’t read PEOPLE, therefore, I had no idea it was yet to be filed.

In the USA, too many times people in what may be considered “professions of class” are able to pull strings to receive “favors” so they or family members are not treated the same as regular citizens. Example, don’t get blamed or held responsible. IMO, this is what was in the mind of Chloe’s parents. This is where her father being LE would be a great asset in knowing what to do to try taking the fault/guilt off grandpa.

abr, MsBetsy, MsFacetious and 9 others like this.
  12. TristanP

TristanP Well-Known Member

The bottom line here is that the man was irresponsible with the child. I don’t understand why this is difficult for people to comprehend.

I think their argument about being “allowed” to bang on glass at the hockey arena is ridiculous. I guarantee you if a hockey puck or stick somehow shattered that glass and the little girl died, it would suddenly have been the arena’s fault for not placing signs saying not to allow children to sit by the glass.

13. Kindred

Kindred Well-Known Member

Exactly. You think a drunk driver who just slammed his car into a minivan at 95 mph wouldn't get out of his car and freak out over what he just did? They do. Especially if there are witnesses. And many times in their panic they try to flee on foot, or keep driving the car away, or try to find some way to shift the blame. They may never have meant to harm anyone with their reckless behavior, but now they have and they panic. Doesn't make them any less guilty or less their fault.

So does every state and territory in the US, what's your point? This is exactly why PR is the one who has jurisdiction over the criminal case and not the FBI like you were trying to insist earlier.

abr, justbreathe, Area52 and 11 others like this.
  14. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

Why would there need to be a 'warning' posted against doing a ridiculously foolish and dangerous thing? Thats like needing a warning at a restaurant saying don't allow your child to drink your tequila shot or to suck on the steak knife.

katsrfun, tabitha111, abr and 25 others like this.
  15. katydid23

And if there was water, would that have prevented the tragic death? NO.

tabitha111, abr, mjp1228 and 10 others like this.
  16. katydid23

How is this the cruise line's fault? How would they ever imagine that an adult would prop an 18 month old child up against an open window sill, 150 feet above a concrete deck?

tabitha111, abr, sl222 and 19 others like this.
  17. katydid23

PR is covered under the American Justice System, being part of the US.

abr, justbreathe, al66pine and 8 others like this.
  18. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Ain’t the Ones Beneath the Bed

Exactly. Jay Leno used to do a segment on ridiculous warning labels back in the day.

Now I understand why they exist; to protect companies from frivolous lawsuits from people who refuse to accept personal responsibility.

katsrfun, abr, tabitha111 and 20 others like this.
  19. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

Snipped
    Yes and yes - it’s going to be ugly IMO when the truth comes out - all’s they need to release are a few seconds of that video IMO

abr, tabitha111, sl222 and 14 others like this.
  20. IceIce9

IceIce9 Well-Known Member

As I was running errands yesterday I began noticing all the places where parents could seat children where they could fall to their death, or at least receive serious injury.

County courthouse: a three story building, open in the middle with public offices on all three floors. You can look over a 4 foot tall wall from the 3rd floor to see the marble floor on the ground level. The wall is flat on top, about a foot wide, a perfect place to seat a child to look down at the pretty marble floor below! No warning sign.

A 6 story office building with open stairways. Kind of interesting to look over the railing to see 6 floors down. No warning signs.

Drove past 6 multi-story downtown hotels with outdoor balconies on all floors. I’ve stayed in 3 of them, no warning signs on balconies.

The world is not a child-safe padded room. Parents need to take reasonable precautions with their children as well as make sure the caregivers that care for their children are responsible.

katsrfun, abr, tabitha111 and 17 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.