Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to add another comment, I too thought her eyes looked sad and somewhat lifeless and her body language seemed stressed. I wonder who took that video?

Another thing to add to the mix is the Covid situation. Being confined for months with young children at home has to be extremely stressful. Her husband being a pastor means he probably was home most of the time too. That's a lot of togetherness!

All of the info you all are sharing is helpful! I hope LE and her family have it too.

Very true, especially since the process of converting would have been difficult to do in secret, say - there would have been months of classes, participation in masses required, etc.
The RCIA process is literally impossible to do in secret... part if the process involves having a Sponsor. A sponsor is a practicing Catholic. The sponsor would be encouraged to attend RCIA classes along with the catechumen (technical term for Catholic in training) they are sponsoring. This process starts in August or September each year. The meetings are weekly. St. Michael RCIA meetings are Thursdays from 7-9 pm. Typically, RCIA candidates are confirmed at Easter Vigil.. the Saturday before Easter. Catholic Churches in the area were not doing in-person Masses at that time due to Covid..Probably explaining the June confirmation.

Additionally, Catholic Churches have parish boundary maps.. Catholics are encouraged to join the parish they reside in. Her parish would have been Nativity, based only on her residence. Joining a church outside of your parish isn’t a big deal, but it requires a bit of paperwork. Whether that is true for RCIA candidates, I do not know. Perhaps she went through RCIA at the parish of her sponsor? Maybe she chose St Michael’s at random.. it is really close.

Source: I am practicing Catholic living in her neighborhood... but you can verify on St Michael’s website.

The RCIA process is literally impossible to do in secret... part if the process involves having a Sponsor. A sponsor is a practicing Catholic. The sponsor would be encouraged to attend RCIA classes along with the catechumen (technical term for Catholic in training) they are sponsoring. This process starts in August or September each year. The meetings are weekly. St. Michael RCIA meetings are Thursdays from 7-9 pm. Typically, RCIA candidates are confirmed at Easter Vigil.. the Saturday before Easter. Catholic Churches in the area were not doing in-person Masses at that time due to Covid..Probably explaining the June confirmation.

Additionally, Catholic Churches have parish boundary maps.. Catholics are encouraged to join the parish they reside in. Her parish would have been Nativity, based only on her residence. Joining a church outside of your parish isn’t a big deal, but it requires a bit of paperwork. Whether that is true for RCIA candidates, I do not know. Perhaps she went through RCIA at the parish of her sponsor? Maybe she chose St Michael’s at random.. it is really close.

Source: I am practicing Catholic living in her neighborhood... but you can verify on St Michael’s website.
Welcome to Websleuths! Thank you for all of the helpful information that you posted!

Yes thank you for joining and being here! I’m curious, is it possible she was ready to be confirmed at Easter, but that was delayed till June because of Covid?

Find Marilane

UPDATE 3PM CST August 9 2020

VOLUNTEER BOATERS NEEDED for RIVER SEARCH

We now need MEMPHIS-AREA boaters/fisherman to help us rule out any possibility of Marilane's vehicle being submerged in the Mississippi River near Memphis.

Boat owners with experience safely navigating this area of the river near Mud Island Park and Big River Crossing.

We are using high-powered sonar target acquisition software to coordinate multiple volunteer boaters / fisherman in submission of their sonar data.

Please use this URL to sign-up and our search coordinator will reach out with more details: http://www.findmarilane.com/

PLEASE SHARE WITH ANY SEASONED AND EQUIPPED BOATERS NEAR MEMPHIS

Law enforcement is continuing to chase down any and all tips and leads. Family, friends, and those interested in helping have been and are continuing to post flyers, drive the area, and sharing our posts.

Pray. Share. Hope. Look. #FindMarilane ❤️

http://www.findmarilane.com/

From the post about needing boat searchers: "We now need MEMPHIS-AREA boaters/fisherman to help us rule out any possibility of Marilane's vehicle being submerged in the Mississippi River near Memphis."

Seems like a very specific need and location, wonder if something has tipped them off that the SUV is there and I'm curious as to what type of bridge crosses the river there?

Yes.. In the body of the news article, it says their church is first baptist.

The church Marilane belonged to in Birmingham was definitely Baptist. She used to lead small groups for teen girls there (irrc, around 2006-2009, when I attended them). I was not personally a member of the church, but a lot of my friends growing up were and I remember interacting with her a few times at camps and weekly small groups over the years. I don’t remember many specifics, and can’t speak about her personally, other than to say she was very nice, but the Catholicism thing seems very off base to me, unless she has drastically changed within the last 10-15 years. Samford University, where she attended college, is also a Southern Baptist school and many of its students come from evangelical upbringings and are strongly rooted in their faith. Given this background, it’s highly improbable, but not entirely impossible that she would choose to convert to Catholicism.

Her case is getting a lot of attention. I hope she's voluntarily missing and taking some time to figure things out and is home to her children soon.

It reminds me of another recent case here in which people were leaning away from the missing women voluntarily leaving and were worried about car accidents, harm... They were taking a journey and uncharacteristically just didn't tell anyone else for personal reasons.

Keep having hope.

I certainly hope she is just taking some time for herself. The recent case of the woman who was suppose to pick up her son at the airport and was instead found in a river a few days later really bothered me for days. Mental illness along with a pandemic is a real battle for so many.

The church Marilane belonged to in Birmingham was definitely Baptist. She used to lead small groups for teen girls there (irrc, around 2006-2009, when I attended them). I was not personally a member of the church, but a lot of my friends growing up were and I remember interacting with her a few times at camps and weekly small groups over the years. I don’t remember many specifics, and can’t speak about her personally, other than to say she was very nice, but the Catholicism thing seems very off base to me, unless she has drastically changed within the last 10-15 years. Samford University, where she attended college, is also a Southern Baptist school and many of its students come from evangelical upbringings and are strongly rooted in their faith. Given this background, it’s highly improbable, but not entirely impossible that she would choose to convert to Catholicism.
Welcome and thank you for clearing up her Church history.

Wondering if there is a Catholic school in Leawood and if that was the teaching application Marilane submitted?

Her case is getting a lot of attention. I hope she's voluntarily missing and taking some time to figure things out and is home to her children soon.

It reminds me of another recent case here in which people were leaning away from the missing women voluntarily leaving and were worried about car accidents, harm... They were taking a journey and uncharacteristically just didn't tell anyone else for personal reasons.

Keep having hope.
I agree here. A few cases I have followed lately have been voluntarily leaving.

The mother and daughter duo from Florida that left and eventually had car and atm sightings. Later found only after the mom died in a hospital across the country.

This guy left a wife and at least 3 kids. Eventually located and apologized. Recovered/Located - OK - Christopher Burkhammer, Ardmore, 29 July 2020

There is Maddie Bell that left voluntarily and was located after an intense search.

Also, sadly I am reminded of another case I followed recently of a missing mom. No car sightings and sadly she and her car were found in an apartment garage. She had taken her own life.

I
t is concerning there are no sightings of her car on tag readers or tolls that we hear about. I guess if I were family I’d probably search every parking lot, parking garage, Walmart lot, mall parking etc nearby her last sighting just to see if her vehicle could be found.

I have a feeling there is a lot more info that is available that we don’t know yet.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ok-christopher-burkhammer-ardmore-29-july-2020.535387/

Good idea. Hope you did it.

Now I am wondering if that is the reason for Birmingham to be on the radar? Her husband said in yesterday's interview he was there because he wanted to be there in case she was heading that way and to help her. I think I also read that her BIL said that Birmingham was on her radar...
I did not share, but I will.

All of

Wondering if there is a Catholic school in Leawood and if that was the teaching application Marilane submitted?
the Catholic Churches in Leawood have Catholic Elementary schools. You do not need to be Catholic to teach in Catholic school.

I have no clue if Marilane converted to Catholicism. It would be an unusual change. We have friends in common and live in her area. I saw some questions regarding Rcia that I could answer. I really hope she is found soon and that she is ok.

All of

the Catholic Churches in Leawood have Catholic Elementary schools. You do not need to be Catholic to teach in Catholic school.

I have no clue if Marilane converted to Catholicism. It would be an unusual change. We have friends in common and live in her area. I saw some questions regarding Rcia that I could answer. I really hope she is found soon and that she is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarellano5280