GUILTY KS - Vashti Seacat, 34, found slain in house fire, Kingman, 30 April 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article:

Friend of Seacat’s wife recalls alarming comment

Joy Trotnic told Kingman County jurors she was good friends with her co-worker, Vashti Seacat, and after she learned about her death on April 30, 2011, she quickly recalled an alarming comment Vashti Seacat had made about her husband just a couple of weeks before her death.“She said, ‘Do you think Brett would burn the house down with me in it?’ ” Trotnic said, adding that she was “taken aback” by her friend’s odd question. “I said, ‘What? … Not with the kids at home.’ ”

http://www.kansas.com/2013/06/01/2827718/friend-of-seacats-wife-recalls.html

This is so awful how so many of these victims sense their lives are in danger. Like Travis Alexander who warned his friend ( I forget which one) not to be surprised if he fails to show up one day.

I understand that it may not be possible to get away from the threat but I would encourage anyone to write these feelings down, the conversations and arguments that led you to fear for your life and hide these papers and/or documents like in a bank vault.

I can only imagine trying to live under that kind of fear. :(

This is an older article from May 30th. But it explains the note found on Mr. Seacat.

Investigator says he found handwritten note on Seacat

Carroll told Kingman County jurors that he found the handwritten note on Seacat at the Kingman Law Enforcement Center after the fire, which Seacat reported to authorities at 3:51 a.m. April 30, 2011. The note had a number list that included: “Calm, died, accident”; “Her parents”; “Everything that the truth” (sic); “No suicide”; and three telephone numbers.

http://www.kansas.com/2013/05/30/2825658/investigator-says-he-found-handwritten.html

We have a live feed. Someone who took photographs at the scene that day.

This is an older article from May 30th. But it explains the note found on Mr. Seacat.

Carroll told Kingman County jurors that he found the handwritten note on Seacat at the Kingman Law Enforcement Center after the fire, which Seacat reported to authorities at 3:51 a.m. April 30, 2011. The note had a number list that included: “Calm, died, accident”; “Her parents”; “Everything that the truth” (sic); “No suicide”; and three telephone numbers.

http://www.kansas.com/2013/05/30/2825658/investigator-says-he-found-handwritten.html

Yeah, what's up with the note? He claims it was his notes after talking to the therapist about Vashti's 'suicide', but what? he called the therapist at 3 in the morning before police got there? I doubt it. It wasn't even alluded to by the therapist, who did testify. BS me thinks.

Is the therapist's testimony available somewhere?

BBM ---- as a juror this comment would bother me. She says that, and then allegedly he does that? Just too precise. Don't pitchfork me, but a juror might see reasonable doubt.

If I was a juror I would be wondering about the argument between Brett and Vashti Seacat that would lead Vashti to say that to a co worker. I wonder about life insurance on Vashti and if there was a nice home owner's policy on the house.

Talk about a fresh start... Who are the two boys living with?

If I was a juror I would be wondering about the argument between Brett and Vashti Seacat that would lead Vashti to say that to a co worker. I wonder about life insurance on Vashti and if there was a nice home owner's policy on the house.

Talk about a fresh start... Who are the two boys living with?

Trudat friend.

I don't know where the kiddos are... with family?

Was this before or after the conversation with Vashti's counselor?

BBM ---- as a juror this comment would bother me. She says that, and then allegedly he does that? Just too precise. Don't pitchfork me, but a juror might see reasonable doubt.

If there were not so many inconsistancies in the stories one might almost think that Mr. Seacat was set up. He was a Crime Scene Investigator, he should have known how to cover his tracks better. I can see where someone might come to that conclusion......that Mr. Seacat was set up. But the children in the house the night of the fire blows that for me, I cannot believe a mom would set the house on fire with the children there.

Witness is looking at the photographs to determine if they are photos he took or not.

6ok8d4.png

No seals in this courtroom.... early lunch break back at 1pm Kansas time

2nir9ms.png

Was this before or after the conversation with Vashti's counselor?

From what I can piece together the hand written note was found after the fire in Mr. Seacat's pocket. That article does not really say what time of day or even the day when the note was found, so it's hard to tell if it was before or after the conversation with the counselor.

From the counselor article:
She said she called Brett Seacat at about 9:30 a.m. on April 30, 2011, after he already had called her office and asked for advice on how to tell his children their mother had committed suicide. Suderman said Seacat was “quite calm” when she spoke with him over the phone, and she felt “the entire situation was very unusual” because he had contacted her so quickly after his wife’s death.

Monday, May 16, 2011
Update
A Kansas police instructor became somewhat emotional as charges were read against him Monday. Brett Seacat appeared in an orange jail jumpsuit with his hands and ankles shackled.
Seacat is charged with first degree murder for setting the fire that killed his wife Vashti on April 30. He appeared to have tears in his eyes when other charges of endangering his two young children were read in court by Judge Larry Solomon.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for May 26, in which prosecutors would show initial evidence to a judge in order to convince him to proceed with trial. Seacat's bond is set at $1,000,000.

http://www.kake.com/findit/mondayhe...iles_Charges_in_Kingman_County_121812654.html

No seals in this courtroom.... early lunch break back at 1pm Kansas time

2nir9ms.png

In my world that is a paid for advertisement for people wanting to re elect Mr Douglas Fairfield for Governor or County Dog catcher. Not sure which...

This reolveR is a ruger red hawk. There is no way she could hv lifted it w one hand top of the head down bullet ends up severing base of skull, and brain/spinal cord. The barrel is seven inches long.

The gun is also a rather heavy gun and her finger strength would have been diminished in that position. Has anyone pointed out how many pounds of pressure it would take to pull the trigger? I just cannot see her being able to shoot herself in this way. Just IMO.

From what I can piece together the hand written note was found after the fire in Mr. Seacat's pocket. That article does not really say what time of day or even the day when the note was found, so it's hard to tell if it was before or after the conversation with the counselor.

From the counselor article:
She said she called Brett Seacat at about 9:30 a.m. on April 30, 2011, after he already had called her office and asked for advice on how to tell his children their mother had committed suicide. Suderman said Seacat was “quite calm” when she spoke with him over the phone, and she felt “the entire situation was very unusual” because he had contacted her so quickly after his wife’s death.

Well if LE found this note in Brett Seacat's clothing that he was wearing at the scene of the fire and the counselor wasn't contacted by Mr Seacat until after that then there goes the story that the note was written as a result of the discussion with the counselor on how to tell the kids their mom was dead.

Well if LE found this note in Brett Seacat's clothing that he was wearing at the scene of the fire and the counselor wasn't contacted by Mr Seacat until after that then there goes the story that the note was written as a result of the discussion with the counselor on how to tell the kids their mom was dead.

I added more to that post. In the investigators testimony he said that the note was found just before he was arrested. The 7 hour police interview was also done just before he was arrested. In the other article that I linked it says that Mr. Seacat was charged Monday May 16th in court. How long before that he was actually arrested I have no idea. There is not a lot of time line information available online.

I just started following this trial yesterday and have not seen all of it. Of what I have seen and know of it, this guy seems guilty. I'm not on the jury so I can have my opinion of it.

I would like to know if Seacat had moved any of his favorite things out of the home prior to the murder. Did he have any awards or anything he was fond of from his childhood he had saved that was not destroyed in the fire?

Back to lurking, but I see this guy being convicted. He is arrogant and not quite as smart as he thinks he is, IMO.

MOO

Here is an old article that says Mr. Seacat was arrested Friday, and the article was originally published May 13th, 2011. May 13, 2011 was a Friday.

"The charges, filed Friday by Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt, allege 35-year-old Brett Seacat killed his wife, Vashti Seacat, 34, and endangered their two young sons in setting the fire at their Kingman home."

http://www.hutchnews.com/seacat/Seacat-charged--2

I added more to that post. In the investigators testimony he said that the note was found just before he was arrested. The 7 hour police interview was also done just before he was arrested. In the other article that I linked it says that Mr. Seacat was charged Monday May 16th in court. How long before that he was actually arrested I have no idea. There is not a lot of time line information available online.

I know. Wish I could find a timeline of events. But alas, I have a meeting. Pffft me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jme81