KY KY - Samantha Jones Sperry, 25, Graves County, 29 March 2018

Rhen has not given any information on Sam. Who she entered the woods with has given several different stories on what happened. If the gun went into the woods we don’t know for sure or if it come out we don’t know. LE is not saying. Right now not a whole lot is adding up and the only thing that we know for sure to Be “Fact” is that 3 people went into the woods. 2 people have come out. Those two people were related. Sam hasn’t been since. We will continue to search until she is found.

Rhen has not given any information on Sam. Who she entered the woods with has given several different stories on what happened. If the gun went into the woods we don’t know for sure or if it come out we don’t know. LE is not saying. Right now not a whole lot is adding up and the only thing that we know for sure to Be “Fact” is that 3 people went into the woods. 2 people have come out. Those two people were related. Sam hasn’t been since. We will continue to search until she is found.
Never a good sign if someone gives inconsistent stories. I hope LE will carefully examine any statements.

Do you know what the relationship between Sam and Rhen (Dusty is the other guy?) is?

Candlelight prayer for missing mom Samantha Sperry
http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2018/04/08/candlelight-prayer-for-missing-mom-samantha-sperry/
SYMSONIA, Ky. — The community came together to pray for a local mom who’s been missing for several days.

[...]

On Sunday, friends and family gathered near the spot where Sperry’s car was found abandoned. More than a hundred people stood together, holding candles and praying for her safe return.

Sperry’s stepfather, Tony Artis, says he just wants his daughter home.

“I do want to thank everybody for what they’ve been doing,” says Artis. “I am blessed that the officers that are working the case are working hard for it. The rescue crews, the volunteers that have been out here helping me. That’s who’s out here today, it’s people who love her and love us.”

Deputies say Sperry may have been with Rhen Hendrickson when she disappeared. Hendrickson was also reported missing and said to be suicidal. He was found last weekend, after walking up to a home dehydrated and hypothermic.

Searches for Samantha are continuing. Haven't found her yet. Per the BRING Samantha Home FB page (run by her mother and siblings) they were told that searches weren't going to be done or allowed because it was a criminal investigation but obviously they were able to organize via a local SAR group to search and the family have been out searching regularly. LE can't tell people that they can't search for a person. There is nothing illegal in searching for a missing person in and of itself. I am glad the family continues to do so.

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2018/04/15/dozens-of-volunteers-continue-search-for-local-mom/

A new article.
http://www.kentuckynewera.com/news/ap/article_69aaa3c0-437d-11e8-b7e7-5370d45f7abf.html

[FONT=&quot]Sperry, Hendrickson and a male friend were all in the Kaler Bottoms together, Redmon said, not naming the friend. Sperry and the friend were riding an all-terrain vehicle, and it got stuck. Investigators later found the ATV. The friend told investigators that they came out of the bottoms together on Ky. 131, but Sperry told him a relative lived nearby, and she planned to walk to the house, Redmon said. She never arrived.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Until deputies know what happened to Sperry, they are treating her disappearance as suspicious, Redmon said. He stressed that she is not in any trouble if located.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We've followed up every call, every sighting," Redmon said, adding that none of the possible sightings had turned out to be Sperry.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Three deputies have been assigned full-time to work the case.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We've put more time in this missing person case than any I can remember in my 33 years of being here," he said.
[/FONT]

They searched a large area this past weekend.

[FONT=&quot]Sandra Green, founder and chief of Four Rivers K9 Search, Rescue and Recovery and Mounted Search and Rescue, coordinated Sunday's search in cooperation with other agencies and volunteers. She said teams from nine counties, including many trained members of volunteer fire departments and rescue squads, performed a segmented search of 33,000 acres -- 4 square miles -- on Sunday, essentially splitting the acreage up into small sections to scan in-depth. The teams gathered at 7 a.m., with some groups remaining until sunset.[/FONT]

As for searching, which the family had said LE told them not to, the Sheriff said ...

[FONT=&quot]Redmon said he wants to make sure those searching are being safe and that others know where they are, especially to prevent those not familiar with the area from becoming lost. Deputies continue to follow up on every lead, and Redmon said he is fine with anyone who wants to continue the search.[/FONT]

It is painfully obvious with this case that LE knows who they are looking at. But what it is going to take is for someone to have a conscience and step forward and either tell LE where to find Samantha or to destroy one or more person's alibi. In many ways this case is similar to Marissa Craft out of Chanute, KS and Denita Hedden out of Royal Lakes, IL. All it will take is for someone to do the right thing.

There really isn’t anything new to add at this point that I’m legally allowed to say. Basically Murray police ( where Samantha lived) dropped the ball from the start, Graves County police are doing some but not enough, maybe that is about to change as we hope they are in the process of new interviews based off of information received.
However, unless he bonded out Rhen was arrested yesterday on mostly likely the charges from his pre trial conference he had on unrelated case in carslie.
Uncle and brother bonded out on unrelated charges last week

Apparently Samantha's case was covered in a segment on HLN tonight - I assume the 6pm show but I can't be sure. If anyone saw it or knows what show maybe they can chime in with anything new.

I tried to find video of the HLN segment. Didn't find it, but I found this video that has clips from volunteer search and an interview with her family: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdzgsmQ4xIs

(looks like a local reporter maybe narrating?)

Apparently Samantha's case was covered in a segment on HLN tonight - I assume the 6pm show but I can't be sure. If anyone saw it or knows what show maybe they can chime in with anything new.

I saw it on HLN last night. It was on Crime & Justice with Ashley Banfield. They interviewed the step father and the sheriff. It was the first I’d heard of the case, so of course I came looking for it here. The sheriff said both the ex and the person she went into the woods with are considered persons of interest.

eta: the sheriff refused to name the person she went into the woods with, but did say it was a friend of the ex.

Here's the transcript from the Ashleigh Banfield show: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1804/19/ptab.01.html

Quote from transcript:
BANFIELD: All right. I got another piece here on the docket that I want to bring to your attention. Police say three weeks ago, a woman named Samantha

Sperry, she went into the Kentucky woods on an ATV, and she was out looking for her suicidal ex-boyfriend.

The ex-boyfriend has since returned from those woods, dehydrated and suffering from hypothermia, but not Samantha. So what happened there?

[18:35:00] (COMMERCIAL BREAK)

BANFIELD: Kaler Bottoms is a wildlife area in Western Kentucky, 1,900 acres of woods and swamps that pretty much turn into mud every spring. That

is reportedly where Samantha Sperry went three weeks ago, riding on an ATV with another man.

She`s a 25-year-old married mom of two and she was out searching for his suicidal ex-boyfriend. And that`s where Samantha Sperry went missing.

According to her family, police would only start looking for her a whole week later.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

TONY ARTIS, STEPFATHER OF MISSING WOMAN: Monday, this whole parking lot was full with people, with compassion, helping us look for my daughter. Not

one officer was in those woods on Monday. I`m thankful for the officers that got involved since Monday. But before then, nothing.

DEWAYNE REDMON, SHERIFF, GRAVES COUNTY SHERIFF`S OFFICE: I don`t have a problem with them blaming us or saying we`re not doing everything that we

can. But I`ll have to say that we are. We`ve probably put more time and effort into this particular missing person`s case than any others that

we`ve had.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BANFIELD: But the only missing person that we`re looking for right now is Samantha because her ex-, well, he made it out of those wetlands. He was

dehydrated. He was hypothermic. But he made it out alive.

[18:39:56] And the other man who Samantha was reportedly riding with, well, he told police that she just went off and walked to a relative`s

house. But Samantha did not show up at that relative`s house.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ARTIS: I can`t sleep, knowing that my child could be out here somewhere. A man doesn`t want to see his family hurt. And I feel that I`ve let my

daughter down.

I just hope that we do find her alive. I mean, you know, I hope she`s not in these woods. I hope she`s somewhere else alive. I mean, that`s what hope

is.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BANFIELD: Joining me now is Shelley Byrne, a reporter with The Mayfield Messenger. Also with me, Tony Artis. He is Samantha Sperry`s stepfather.

Tony, maybe I`ll start with you and just if you can, let me know what the very latest is in this search for her. Are you getting any leads? Are you

any closer to finding her?

ARTIS (via telephone): Any closer to finding her, no. Yes, calls are coming in. In my understanding, they are checking the -- the sheriff`s

department are checking leads. That`s what we`re being told. So --

BANFIELD: As we understand this, Rhen apparently -- Rhen is the ex- boyfriend who Samantha went out to look for. And Rhen apparently on the day he went missing, he had an argument with Samantha. He left in her car.

And sometime later in the day, he was on the phone or in some communication with his own mom and his own sister saying that he was suicidal, had a

shotgun, took pills, and was in the woods.

And Samantha went with an unidentified man to go look for him. Do we know who this unidentified man is or are the police keeping that quiet for a

reason?

ARTIS (via telephone): Well, the information you just stated actually came from Rhen`s family. We really don`t know what happened that day. Do we know

who the other man is? Yes, we do.

BANFIELD: But obviously he`s not a suspect in any of this. He is not been named at least as such, so it`s not fair to name him in any of this.

ARTIS (via telephone): Yes, you`re right.

BANFIELD: But I`m still curious, Tony, about the process. She went missing. And Samantha`s mom was very worried and reached out to the police.

How did that go?

ARTIS (via telephone): Well, we got the call -- we got a message from Samantha`s brother about the car being abandoned, and Rhen being suicidal

and having a shotgun and going in the woods. He asked if his sister was with him, with Rhen. And my wife went to where she works, and she was a no

call no show.

She called the local police department, and asked them to do a welfare check. And they were -- she was told if they have an officer available.

They said they would call back and never called back.

BANFIELD: What happened when she asked them to file a missing person`s report because she had said, you know, she`s out there, and this ex-

boyfriend of hers is suicidal and might have a weapon, what happened then?

ARTIS (via telephone): They told her being that my daughter is an adult, it`s not illegal for an adult to go missing and blew my wife off. And that

was the local -- that was the local police department where my daughter lived.

BANFIELD: I`m going to ask the sheriff about that in a moment. First, I want to bring in Shelley Byrne, if I can. Shelley, you`re a reporter with

the Mayfield Messenger, you know this area. Give me a feel for just how frenzied the search for Samantha is right now. Who`s there? What are they

using? How much are they able to cover this swampland?

SHELLEY BYRNE, REPORTER, THE MAYFIELD MESSENGER (via telephone): The search has been intense. There have been searches the last three

weekends. There were 130 people out there on Sunday from nine different counties searching four square miles.

They were using dogs, horses, all terrain vehicles. They`ve used boats. They`ve searched with night vision goggles and they even got a helicopter

in the air for a brief period.

BANFIELD: And nothing. They haven`t found a clue, just nothing? I`m hearing that some of these ATVs that are out on the search are getting

stuck in the mud because this is such a difficult place to search.

BYRNE (via telephone): They haven`t found anything that I have been told about at all. And yes, I`ve heard that the ATVs have been getting stuck and

also some horse trailers got stuck on Sunday.

BANFIELD: I`m also finding here in some of the research that the people who`ve been out looking have been actually up to their necks in water at

times trying to search for this young woman, 3,000 acres of densely wooded area.

[18:45:08] In the meantime, while they`re searching for her, Shelley, do we know anything about Rhen Hendrickson coming out of the woods in the

condition he was in? Is he a suspect? Are they questioning him? Or is he no part of this? Or is all of it a mystery?

BYRNE (via telephone): I don`t think there`s been anything said about whether he is a suspect. I would refer you to the sheriff for that

information. I have not heard one way or another

I was told that although Rhen was early on in that area, that she and this male friend of hers had gone searching and on the ATV, and that she was

with this male friend when they got their ATV stuck and came out an a rural road, and she said she was going to a relative who live nearby.

BANFIELD: And that did not happen. All right. So, obviously a lot of questions for the sheriff in this case. And that`s who I am going to speak

to next. Don`t go away.

[18:50:00] (COMMERCIAL BREAK)

BANFIELD: We are still talking about that young Kentucky mom who mysteriously went missing in the woods three weeks ago on an ATV, 25-year-

old Samantha Sperry, married mother of two, reportedly on that ATV heading into the muddy backwoods to search for her suicidal ex-boyfriend, who by

the way, showed up after four days, and Samantha did not.

I`m joined now by Sheriff Dewayne Redmon of Graves County, Kentucky. Sheriff, thank you for being on the program. I`m sure you are able to hear

some of my interview prior to the break. The family of Samantha is very concerned that the search for her took a week. It took a week before anyone

went out.

She`s concerned that nobody wanted to file a missing person`s report, even though there was this report of an ex-boyfriend suicidal with a gun

potentially. And she felt as though the case -- they felt that the case wasn`t taken seriously. How do you respond to that?

REDMON (via telephone): Well, the case was taken seriously. I mean, the agency they went to first, which was where she lived, not in Graves County,

didn`t take a missing person`s report at that time. But once she came into Graves County, into our office, we took the missing person`s report, and we

began to search.

I think she was reported to us missing on Thursday. We done a search that following Friday with several deputies out that day searching the area. The

problem that we were having, of course we didn`t have a -- I guess you could say a good location for a search.

You were talking, it`s kind of like an area that she went missing in is a wildlife refuge and bottomland. We`ve had a lot of rain and that area is

very flooded. So ATVs, we`re getting them all stuck and trying to wade through water. So search efforts on that particular day were very

difficult. And so since then there`s been two or three different searches that`s occurred since that time.

BANFIELD: Can I ask you? I`m so mystified by this story. Samantha goes into the woods with an unidentified man on an ATV to look for her ex-

boyfriend. The ex-boyfriend comes out, and then the story goes that Samantha and the unidentified man come out and part ways. Is the -- first

of all, can you tell me who the unidentified man is?

REDMON (via telephone): I don`t want to name his name right now, no.

BANFIELD: OK. Is that --

REDMON (via telephone): He was just a friend of the person --

BANFIELD: Of Samantha.

REDMON (via telephone): It was a friend of the person that originally went missing.

BANFIELD: OK. So it`s a friend of Samantha`s.

REDMON (via telephone): Yes.

BANFIELD: Is that man a suspect in her disappearance?

REDMON (via telephone): He is being questioned, yes. I mean, along with the person that she, you know, went looking for.

BANFIELD: So her ex-boyfriend is being questioned, as is the man who went searching for the ex-boyfriend with her, last person apparently to have

been with her, but neither one is a suspect at this time, sir?

REDMON (via telephone): Yes, I mean, you know, basically until we find a body or find her, you know, determine, you know, what has happened to her.

I mean they are both persons of interest. Like I said, they both -- like I said, they`re being questioned. One has taken a polygraph and the other one

is scheduled to take one.

BANFIELD: Oh, that`s interesting. I hope they don`t find a body. I hope they find her. But it has been freezing cold for the number of days that

she`s been gone, several weeks.

REDMON (via telephone): Yes, three weeks ago Wednesday she`s been missing, yes.

BANFIELD: Sheriff, thanks so much for being with us. My thanks to Tony Artis as well and also Shelley Byrne for reporting.

I have one more thing for you tonight. If you are ever trying to elude the police, I have one suggestion. Don`t go to a place like this. You`re about

to find out why.

[18:55:00] (COMMERCIAL BREAK)

BANFIELD: One more thing for you tonight. How far would you go to outrun the cops?

[19:00:01] Me, none, but I don`t know. How about this guy who went deep into a Florida swamp, and not only that, how about ending up neck deep in

the mud to attempt to hide from them? But they had a k-9, and that k-9 was tracking him happily. Look at the k-9 licking him. I mean, you should see

k-9 so angry, right. But this guy is like -- and it almost looks like the perp has to laugh too. But this perp is not going to be smiling for much

longer. He is actually facing a laundry list of charges. But he had a lovely moment with a puppy dog.

Next hour of CRIME AND JUSTICE starts right now.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: It`s their fault, not yours, yes or no.

BANFIELD: One of the world`s greatest magicians.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I can`t answer that yes or no question.

BANFIELD: Steps into a brand new spotlight.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: If someone is on the route, and they fall and get injured, it`s never your fault?

BANFIELD: But, boy does he perform, while defending the safety of his act.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It wouldn`t be my fault. I`d have to be an expert to know if it`s my fault.

BANFIELD: He`s asked not to grand stand while he`s on the stand.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This is my courthouse because I pay taxes.

BANFIELD: He rankles the attorneys.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Can I ask if you would please not give speeches?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And I don`t think it`s funny, by the way.

BANFIELD: He even bobs along to his own show tunes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: (INAUDIBLE).

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: But will his charm work on the jury?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You have said being a magician is being nothing, if not an entertainer.

BANFIELD: And is there a mystery to his magic trick that he has not yet revealed?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Keep it rolling. We are good.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I can`t sleep knowing that my child could be out here somewhere.

BANFIELD: Three weeks into the search for a missing married mom.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Stubborn as can be, and strong willed. I think she can survive this.

BANFIELD: Why did she go aTVing in the wetlands? And who else might have been with her.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We have probably put more time and effort into this particular missing person`s case than any others that any others we have

had.

BANFIELD: Is there anything to be learned from her ex showing up with hypothermia?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There`s a chance that we are not going to get her back alive.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

“Woods and swamps that turn to mud every spring” is exceptionally concerning to me. Things can get sucked down into that sort of muck very quickly and it can be very difficult to get out of, if a person was incapacitated first I can’t see how you’d survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back