Meet & Greet for New Members #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day,

I'm new here and I'm curious as to how exactly this forum works. I understand the basic premise; that it's about 'amater sleuths' discussing crimes and possibly attempting to find more information on them, but what I don't understand is how that works exactly, and I was hoping someone could give me an explanation that's a bit more detailed (the FAQs seemed to focus more on etiquette and rules for using the forums than on the specifics of their purpose).

If you're wondering what I mean by asking how these forums work and what their purpose is, allow me to give you an example. If someone were to post a situation of petty crime that had happened to them, along with all the evidence and knowledge they had about it in the interest of sharing a case that was currently unsolved, would that be ideal for opening up the forums to discussion about it and giving the sleuths here a chance to test their skills?

Or is this forum more about members looking at famous, more serious cases (not brought up by members) that have been in the news and gone unsolved?

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this question sounds silly; like I said, I'm new here and don't really know much yet.
Welcome to Ws @TheBlueBaron!
The cases and subjects are as varied as the Ws members who post and read about them, imo.(in my opinion).
if there is a case you are interested in, whether it is a missing person, cold case, unidentified human remains, or a crime, past or present, you could get a thread started.

First, find a legit. mainstream news or police (LE) link to start a thread, then if you want to make a comment let it be known that it is your opinion- that keeps rumours separate from known facts and makes things easier for everyone.
Does posting here help solve crimes? It does help bring attention to cases that otherwise go unnoticed and for high profile cases, it gives people an opportunity to discuss and keep updated on the news.

From what i have observed, families of missing persons really do appreciate any attention given to missing loved ones, particularly those who have been missing for many years.

When missing persons (mp) are in the media and whose photos and basic info. are posted in these forums, others who may be searching through UID (unidentified) persons might more easily make a match between the two.

So much more could be said, but for now, back to ''sleuthing''!
imo, speculation, fwiw (for what it is worth)

Good day,

I'm new here and I'm curious as to how exactly this forum works. I understand the basic premise; that it's about 'amater sleuths' discussing crimes and possibly attempting to find more information on them, but what I don't understand is how that works exactly, and I was hoping someone could give me an explanation that's a bit more detailed (the FAQs seemed to focus more on etiquette and rules for using the forums than on the specifics of their purpose).

If you're wondering what I mean by asking how these forums work and what their purpose is, allow me to give you an example. If someone were to post a situation of petty crime that had happened to them, along with all the evidence and knowledge they had about it in the interest of sharing a case that was currently unsolved, would that be ideal for opening up the forums to discussion about it and giving the sleuths here a chance to test their skills?

Or is this forum more about members looking at famous, more serious cases (not brought up by members) that have been in the news and gone unsolved?

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this question sounds silly; like I said, I'm new here and don't really know much yet.
^^bbm

Welcome to WS @TheBlueBaron.

First and most important is that unlike other internet and/or social media forums, WS is a facts-based forum where cases discussed on the main threads of the forum are all linked to prove they are true, legitimate cases and where the details of the case can be fact-checked using independent sources pre-approved by Websleuths administrators.

In OP's specific example about discussing a personal experience such as
a petty crime that had happened to them, along with all the evidence and knowledge they had about it for the purpose of trying to solve their personal case, this is not something you can do on the main thread pursuant to TOS. However, you could take your personal crime example to a private conversation (convo) where up to 20 members can be invited to join the discussion.

Good afternoon everyone. I have been reading a books “We Are Bellingcat” and, as I was doing some research into things from the book, stumbled on this website. I have always had a deep interest in mp cases and wanted to join and start adding to the investigations and dialogue. Looking forward to getting to know people!

Well, I've lurked here for years. First it was because there are two unsolved crimes from my hometown (Athens, Ga) that I keep hoping will be solved and I know one of them is posted on WS. In the process I've started following other cases on and off, but watching the thread about the Idaho college murders daily made me decide to join. I don't know how much I can contribute, but it feels good joining this community.

Hey guys, im new here and i don't really know so much about this place but ive been trying to get to know it now. Still a little bit hard on where to start but im really interested in any murder cases. They all fascinate me, where do i start my journey here haha?

hi! welcome! What brought you here? Maybe a good idea is to go below into the games room, so that you can easily play a few games (they're so simple and fun), and get used to how the board looks, where the buttons are, etc. Then, maybe, find a case that's local to your area where you live, something that you can relate to. Sit back and watch all the brilliant minds of the fantastic people here unfold right before your eyes! Before you know it, you'll be jumping right in! Have fun, and happy sleuthing!

Hi!! my name is Leo. I found websleuths last year and have finally made a account here haha. Ive been interested in true crime since i was about 14, so i’m really excited to be here.

Sherri Jarvis (RIP) was the first True crime story I heard about and I was so happy when she was finally identified! I’m really interested in Jane and John doe cases and find them really sad as well as interesting. So i’ll probably be looking at jane and John doe threads the most.

Hi!! my name is Leo. I found websleuths last year and have finally made a account here haha. Ive been interested in true crime since i was about 14, so i’m really excited to be here.

Sherri Jarvis (RIP) was the first True crime story I heard about and I was so happy when she was finally identified! I’m really interested in Jane and John doe cases and find them really sad as well as interesting. So i’ll probably be looking at jane and John doe threads the most.
Welcome.
This is an interesting thread, they ID doe's through cutting edge dna analysis and genealogy.
Othram - General Discussion - #2

Well friends and sleuths, I'm a long time lurker who finally signed up. I have ties to MA and currently live in NC, so obviously there are current and past cases that interest me. I probably became interested due to the case of Zachary Marr in 2016. He lived about a mile from me. Had a family member at UofI during the YingYing Zhang case in 2017. I don't know if I'll contribute much, but I keep tabs of those areas in particular.

Well friends and sleuths, I'm a long time lurker who finally signed up. I have ties to MA and currently live in NC, so obviously there are current and past cases that interest me. I probably became interested due to the case of Zachary Marr in 2016. He lived about a mile from me. Had a family member at UofI during the YingYing Zhang case in 2017. I don't know if I'll contribute much, but I keep tabs of those areas in particular.
Welcome! I was not familiar with Zachary’s case, so I had to look it up. Very sad end for a promising young man. I think all of us have a case that impacted us on a deeper level than others. It makes you curious. Then suddenly you realize there is an opportunity to help. Especially with you have some form of specialized knowledge or skill. It eases that helpless feeling slightly. On the other hand it is incredibly interesting and a fun hobby!!! Welcome regardless of what brought you here. If you look at the missing persons forums there is an option to filter by prefix and you look at just the particular areas you are interested in.

Welcome to Ws @DoctorStrand!

Panhandle Florida / Wiregrass local, Orthodox clergyman, also have worked in emergency management / 911 communications for a Sheriff's office for the better part of two decades. I do exorcisms on places impacted by serious sins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member