Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #4

Ever since I heard DF or Mexico City in JR's new focus, I remembered in the back of my mind some information way back in the beginning of the search regarding DF. I searched way back, and found:

------------------
https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/605801006261614/
Under JR's post dated 4/25/16.
A poster LMN says he saw her in a Hostel called Zipolite in Oaxaca city on April 09. Jenny told him some friends were waiting for her in Mexico City.
CN asks, "Are you sure?" to LMN, as she says friends waiting in Mexico City doesn't match what they otherwise know.

Another poster offers the hostel's information: Hostel Zipolite: Adress: Calle de Melchor Ocampo No. 701, Centro, 68000 Oaxaca, Oax., México
Phone +52 951 516 7890

LMN says he is sure, she was. She asked him about cheap bus rides from Mexico City, he recalls.

----------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/606273619547686/
Under a member's post dated 4/26/16, a discussion where another person says she met Jenny when in the DF. The discussion in in Spanish, and the translation doesn't make it clear to me, but again CN is unsure about the information she's getting from them and replies in English that "I think now the thing is to focus on what happened after the 11th ... that is where no one heard from her. It's confusing why she would ask about going to DF ... I do not understand that. But she showed the last person who saw her on the morning of the 11th that she was going to Cancun ... and they looked at the route on Google maps. So that's the last information we have."

I don't know if JR explored these witnesses' acounts further at the time. But do you think these persons' posts now have relevance to JR's recent focus on that general area? And these friends waiting for her in Mexico City...could these be the ones who that friend of Jenny's was referring to that southlanecherry uncovered in a post on Jenny's weibo?

Ever since I heard DF or Mexico City in JR's new focus, I remembered in the back of my mind some information way back in the beginning of the search regarding DF. I searched way back, and found:

------------------
A poster LMN says he saw her in a Hostel called Zipolite in Oaxaca city on April 09. Jenny told him some friends were waiting for her in Mexico City.
CN asks, "Are you sure?" to LMN, as she says friends waiting in Mexico City doesn't match what they otherwise know.

Another poster offers the hostel's information: Hostel Zipolite: Adress: Calle de Melchor Ocampo No. 701, Centro, 68000 Oaxaca, Oax., México
Phone +52 951 516 7890

LMN says he is sure, she was. She asked him about cheap bus rides from Mexico City, he recalls.

Under a member's post dated 4/26/16, a discussion where another person says she met Jenny when in the DF. The discussion in in Spanish, and the translation doesn't make it clear to me, but again CN is unsure about the information she's getting from them and replies in English that "I think now the thing is to focus on what happened after the 11th ... that is where no one heard from her. It's confusing why she would ask about going to DF ... I do not understand that. But she showed the last person who saw her on the morning of the 11th that she was going to Cancun ... and they looked at the route on Google maps. So that's the last information we have."

I don't know if JR explored these witnesses' acounts further at the time. But do you think these persons' posts now have relevance to JR's recent focus on that general area? And these friends waiting for her in Mexico City...could these be the ones who that friend of Jenny's was referring to that southlanecherry uncovered in a post on Jenny's weibo?

Thank you, Slowpoke! This is the post I was referring to last week. I've not been able to get it out of my mind since last summer. I tried to find it again, but was unsuccessful & assumed JR deleted it. While searching for the post again, I found a few others from people who insisted they saw her after the date of her last sighting (always listed as April 11 on posters, though JR insists she was seen on April 12 getting into a Corona truck) in Oaxaca.

What is really bothering me today about this case is that he has said a few times on HFJ that he wants to hold back on the posters to respect (in so many words) the victims of the earthquake. But how does he know that Jenny herself is not a victim of the quake? I wonder how much he believes this sighting.

------------------

Phone +52 951 516 7890

EXCELLENT finds. I think the conflict translates as noted below:
On your second link, OTP states that before Jenny went to Puebla and Oaxaca, they went out with Jenny for several days (while in DF).

LMN says he/she/they talked to Jenny on the 9th in Oaxaca. Apparently Jenny said she would be there in Oaxaca for two days and then go to the DF. LMN further states that while at the hostel, Jenny was traveling alone and looking for an economic bus ticket to buy, headed for the DF.

What I didn't see was any conversation about Jenny being out of it. Naturally, since these sightings occurred in 2016. The new supposed sightings are from February 2017.

So, it's possible one of the two has their dates wrong, or Jenny was in DF she intended to go to Cancun, but at the last minute on the 11th she changed her mind. This might also explain why a Corona driver headed in that direction versus the direction of Cancun, since we know she did have some sort of contact with those drivers on that day (by their own admittance). Looking for someone in Mexico City further supports the comments made by Jenny's friend (in Wenzhou), who said she would help Jenny find them.

------------------

Phone +52 951 516 7890

BBM

Good thinking, slowpoke. I knew I’d heard DF mentioned. There could very well be relevance to JR’s info about Jenny being in Mexico City and the comment by Jenny’s friend that southlanecherry found. I wonder if these friends contacted Jenny in Oaxaca and persuaded her to return to Mexico City instead of going to Cancun.

It seems that Jenny actually did head to Cancun on April 11 according to the cement truck driver and the shopkeepers. But could she have changed her mind on the Corona truck and decided to head to Mexico City? Personally I doubt it, but who knows...?

I wish we knew more about the witness who saw her in February. The name JR edited out of his post doesn’t really work with any newer group members IMO. Why would an earlier group member wait until now to come forward?

These posts you mention are a bit confusing. LMN’s last post indicates that Jenny was looking for buses from Mexico City and that he told her places to visit in Oaxaca. This conflicts with his first post where he says he talked to her in a hostel in Oaxaca April 9 and she said friends were waiting for her in Mexico City. I assume he meant buses to Mexico City, not from. I assume he was talking to her in Oaxaca and advising her of attractions to visit during her next two days.

In the second link, LMN says that when he talked to her on April 9 she said she’d be in Oaxaca 2 days and go to the DF (Mexico City). That’s when CN says the last person who saw her on April 11 looked up routes to Cancun with her. LMA answers CN that maybe no buses were available from that place at that time. I assume he is referring to buses to Mexico City. Is he thinking she looked up routes to Cancun as an alternative? :confused:

Just a reminder that these early links are on the Media Thread, so I hope you didn’t dig through HFJ, slowpoke. :) My description didn’t go into this detail though and that’s what you’re were looking for, so you may not have realized it was there.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...INE-**NO-DISCUSSION**&p=13645315#post13645315

Thank you, Slowpoke! This is the post I was referring to last week. I've not been able to get it out of my mind since last summer. I tried to find it again, but was unsuccessful & assumed JR deleted it. While searching for the post again, I found a few others from people who insisted they saw her after the date of her last sighting (always listed as April 11 on posters, though JR insists she was seen on April 12 getting into a Corona truck) in Oaxaca.

What is really bothering me today about this case is that he has said a few times on HFJ that he wants to hold back on the posters to respect (in so many words) the victims of the earthquake. But how does he know that Jenny herself is not a victim of the quake? I wonder how much he believes this sighting.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-3&p=13618494#post13618494
Found your post. It stuck in my mind, too. If the man who talked to her at the hostel is an educator, I might be inclined to think he his words could be credible. Good sleuthing!

I had that same thought as you, that if Jenny IS in the area of the big quake, she is now a victim of that, too.

This case is something else, isn't it?

You're right, Lilibet, I should have gone straight to your shortcut posts in the Timeline and Media links thread. I will remember that next time!

I used to have links saved on my old computer that has since died pertaining to Jenny (see how obsessed I was? maybe still am, lol), these sightings being amongst those saved. That darn computer just upped and died suddenly one day. (After my husband used it, so I still blame him. Ha!)

You're right, Lilibet, I should have gone straight to your shortcut posts in the Timeline and Media links thread. I will remember that next time!

I used to have links saved on my old computer that has since died pertaining to Jenny (see how obsessed I was? maybe still am, lol), these sightings being amongst those saved. That darn computer just upped and died suddenly one day. (After my husband used it, so I still blame him. Ha!)

The last one to use something gets the blame when it breaks! :D I had saved Jenny and JR related links too, but decided to take a break last year and deleted them....silly me!

What is really bothering me today about this case is that he has said a few times on HFJ that he’s wants to hold back on the posters to respect (in so many words) the victims of the earthquake. But how does he know that Jenny herself is not a victim of the quake? I wonder how much he believes this sighting.
BBM

Members have persuaded him to send posters for them to put up in Mexico City, so he is, thankfully. She could even be in a hospital or the morgue. :(

I guess at this point he has no choice but to believe this sighting or follow through even if he has niggling doubts. It seems that JR has gone to a lot of trouble to vet this witness and had help doing so. I’m not sure if his PI is still on the case, but other interviews were conducted too after he went home. He was fortunate that he had left Mexico City before the earthquake!

But people run scams all the time and smart people fall for them. I’d hate to think this is happening to JR, but it does happen. And there is also a desire to believe...or even the “willing suspension of disbelief” as in fiction or drama, which can happen in real life too, I expect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

BBM

Members have persuaded him to send posters for them to put up in Mexico City, so he is, thankfully. She could even be in a hospital or the morgue. :(

I guess at this point he has no choice but to believe this sighting or follow through even if he has niggling doubts. It seems that JR has gone to a lot of trouble to vet this witness and had help doing so. I’m not sure if his PI is still on the case, but other interviews were conducted too after he went home. He was fortunate that he had left Mexico City before the earthquake!

But people run scams all the time and smart people fall for them. I’d hate to think this is happening to JR, but it does happen. And there is also a desire to believe...or even the “willing suspension of disbelief” as in fiction or drama, which can happen in real life too, I expect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

This was my first thought....

Lilibet, southlanecherry, slowpoke and Claudius - you have all become the backbone of this thread lately. I am very much enjoying this thread right now, and have a revived hope that Jenny is alive and out there.

So the witness seen Jenny 6 months ago and just so happened to find the the hfj page?

Now Jennys photo diary of her trip shows most of what clothes she was wearing out there. So has the witness stated what she was wearing? Did she have on sandals or tennis shoes? Did she still have her backpack?

Thought #1:
If you still remember someone you've met 6 months ago, it must be because you have exchange memorable conversations with that person. The witness must have talked to Jenny, enough to find out where she was heading, why she was in Mexico, why she was traveling alone, and etc. I wouldn't be surprised they've exchanged contact information. Then, why is JR still searching Jenny in such way that it seemed the witness provided nothing more than a sighting.

Thought #2:
I forgot where I read this piece of info, but didn't Jenny purchased a phone in Mexico and did not tell JR the number? Forgive me but I really can't remember where I got this, either here or in Chinese media. Lilibet, help? =P Let's say Jenny ran away. If I were her, I would keep track of JR's reaction. Maybe Jenny is reading HFJ page all along. And if she is smart, she would tell people random things just to throw JR off, to keep him off her back.

Btw, still no response for either of Jenny's friend. They are on their guard and it's completely understandable.

Thought #1:
If you still remember someone you've met 6 months ago, it must be because you have exchange memorable conversations with that person. The witness must have talked to Jenny, enough to find out where she was heading, why she was in Mexico, why she was traveling alone, and etc. I wouldn't be surprised they've exchanged contact information. Then, why is JR still searching Jenny in such way that it seemed the witness provided nothing more than a sighting.

Thought #2:
I forgot where I read this piece of info, but didn't Jenny purchased a phone in Mexico and did not tell JR the number? Forgive me but I really can't remember where I got this, either here or in Chinese media. Lilibet, help? =P Let's say Jenny ran away. If I were her, I would keep track of JR's reaction. Maybe Jenny is reading HFJ page all along. And if she is smart, she would tell people random things just to throw JR off, to keep him off her back.

Btw, still no response for either of Jenny's friend. They are on their guard and it's completely understandable.

Yes, I hope we learn more about the nature of the exchange this new witness from Feb 2017 had with Jenny. And how this person came to bring this information to JR.

As for Jenny's not sharing a new phone number with JR, here's a link, which is in Spanish:
http://www.nvinoticias.com/nota/8660/esposo-busca-china-desaparecida

The part about the phone:
"El misterio del teléfono
Al llegar a territorio mexicano, la mujer que trabajó como cajera y luego se tomó un año sabático, compró un teléfono celular, pero no le dio el número a su esposo y únicamente se comunicaba con él vía redes sociales cuando encontraba conexiones wi-fi."

Translation, through Google Translate:
The Mystery of the Phone
"Upon arriving in Mexican territory, the woman who worked as a cashier and then took a sabbatical, bought a cell phone, but did not give the number to her husband and only communicated with him via social networks when he found wi-fi connections."

Also, here's a link to my own post from about a year ago with some info gleaned from JR's postings on HFJ, and my own questioning of Jenny's use of WeChat. Claudius later explained a bit to me that via WeChat one can do messaging and calls through the Internet. Perhaps you can further expand our knowledge of its usage. Would you guess that that is primarily how Jenny communicated to JR and others? Would she have needed a Mexico phone or SIM card in order to use WeChat to communicate with JR or her family and friends in the US, China? Is there a phone number attached to a WeChat account?
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-2&p=12846156#post12846156

Southlanecherry , there's a couple of sites a couple of our WS posters brought here before for our attention, and I'd be interested to hear your input on them (if you wouldn't mind). They are in Chinese.

GigTu posted:
http://www.wzfc.net/space/sell.aspx?u=jennycqd&uid=37420

There is phone information on here for Jenny. Might this info be useful?

And DexterMorgan posted:
https://tieba.baidu.com/mo/q/m?word...=16842752&lp=6093&sub4=进吧&pn=0&

He noted that there's a date of 4/29/16 on the account, which appears to be the opening date. We felt this could be very significant, as this is AFTER the date we've been told (4/11/16), for the date she went missing.

Any insight you can give? What are these sites, and what might they tell us that could be useful in finding Jenny?

Yes, I hope we learn more about the nature of the exchange this new witness from Feb 2017 had with Jenny. And how this person came to bring this information to JR.

As for Jenny's not sharing a new phone number with JR, here's a link, which is in Spanish:
http://www.nvinoticias.com/nota/8660/esposo-busca-china-desaparecida

The part about the phone:
"El misterio del teléfono
Al llegar a territorio mexicano, la mujer que trabajó como cajera y luego se tomó un año sabático, compró un teléfono celular, pero no le dio el número a su esposo y únicamente se comunicaba con él vía redes sociales cuando encontraba conexiones wi-fi."

Translation, through Google Translate:
The Mystery of the Phone
"Upon arriving in Mexican territory, the woman who worked as a cashier and then took a sabbatical, bought a cell phone, but did not give the number to her husband and only communicated with him via social networks when he found wi-fi connections."

Also, here's a link to my own post from about a year ago with some info gleaned from JR's postings on HFJ, and my own questioning of Jenny's use of WeChat. Claudius later explained a bit to me that via WeChat one can do messaging and calls through the Internet. Perhaps you can further expand our knowledge of its usage. Would you guess that that is primarily how Jenny communicated to JR and others? Would she have needed a Mexico phone or SIM card in order to use WeChat to communicate with JR or her family and friends in the US, China? Is there a phone number attached to a WeChat account?
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-2&p=12846156#post12846156
BBM

Thanks for posting the link to this very important Spanish article, slowpoke. I could have sworn I put it on the Media Thread, but either I’m blind or it’s not there. I have added it along with a link to an English translation and quotes of important points such as some of these...

Seen at Peppa Pig Cafe before leaving Oaxaca
Reward by Chinese community in Oaxaca
She decided to take the trip three weeks before she left
JR did not agree with the trip
Jenny bought a phone and did not give him her phone number
Route to Cancun she planned
Left Seattle by plane March 3, made a stop, arrived in Tijuana.
Husband does not know how she got to Puebla and Oaxaca.

Here is the link.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...INE-**NO-DISCUSSION**&p=13651010#post13651010

Note: I will be working on media links for the second thread. But in the meantime, anyone who sees gaps in what I’ve posted for the first thread is welcome to add them. Try to follow the format I’ve used, so it’s fairly easy to find stuff. But have at it. :)

Thought #1:

Thought #2:

BBM

1. I agree that most of us do need to have had a memorable conversation with someone in order to remember them months later. Unless you’re a “super recognizer”! They’re very rare, but my husband is pretty close to being one. He can recognize someone who worked in a bakery he went to years ago in another city or someone he took a class with many years ago but didn’t really know. It kind of freaks people out when he tells them he remembers them. :eek: So it’s remotely possible that someone could have recognized Jenny without interacting with her. But it’s extremely unlikely, so I agree with what you said. But it might explain why JR seems to be looking for Jenny without anything other than a sighting.

Here’s a link about super recognizers.
http://www.businessinsider.com/super-recognizer-remember-faces-quiz-2016-8

2. I see that slowpoke provided the link to the article that talked about Jenny’s phone. You raise some good points about how she might have been using it.

Jenny has no money. So how is she still out and wandering around for 18 momths. Her last sighting was very descriptive but this one is just too wordless if you ask me.

Jenny has no money. So how is she still out and wandering around for 18 momths. Her last sighting was very descriptive but this one is just too wordless if you ask me.

“Wordless” is a good description, Dex. I don’t understand why JR is giving no details about the circumstances of the sighting. I thought he posted something earlier about not saying too much about it so Jenny wouldn’t be endangered but I can’t find that comment now.

Of course, we just recently learned details of Jenny’s arrival and departure from the store/restaurant and the people who invited her to spend the night last year. So he has kept us in the dark and confused before.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/880577505450628/

I noticed that he said he met with the witness along with other people and they found her to be credible. He has no way of judging her credibility because he doesn’t speak Spanish. He has to trust. I just hope he got his questions answered...like “When did you realize it was Jenny and that she was missing.” But maybe all he has to go on are impressions, not solid fact, so there’s not much he can tell us. IDK.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/883905658451146/

Thanks slowpoke! Give me some time to comb through these links. Hopefully I can find something important.

Southlanecherry , there's a couple of sites a couple of our WS posters brought here before for our attention, and I'd be interested to hear your input on them (if you wouldn't mind). They are in Chinese.

GigTu posted:
http://www.wzfc.net/space/sell.aspx?u=jennycqd&uid=37420

There is phone information on here for Jenny. Might this info be useful?

And DexterMorgan posted:
https://tieba.baidu.com/mo/q/m?word...=16842752&lp=6093&sub4=进吧&pn=0&

He noted that there's a date of 4/29/16 on the account, which appears to be the opening date. We felt this could be very significant, as this is AFTER the date we've been told (4/11/16), for the date she went missing.

Any insight you can give? What are these sites, and what might they tell us that could be useful in finding Jenny?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back