MI MI - Adrienne Quintal, 47, called for help, foul play possible, Honor, Benzie Co., 17 Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Court Explorer
Two Civil Cases, 2017 & 2018 looks like some kind of financial filings. Both closed, no details.
https://micourt.courts.michigan.gov/CaseSearch/Court/D46
I went through several district’s court records looking for some connection between AQ and this altercation. I’d think that LE would’ve seriously looked into this but some info would be helpful. I still had questions after the sister’s interview. They used dogs, according to reports, so if she left, I’d assume the trail would stop, if she ran off into the woods, there should be a trail to somewhere... It’s just confusing. Is Lundy’s full name off limits? Maybe that would help in the paper trail to those who might be of interest.

Though I mentioned concerns about the bf, with regards to Ada thinking she saw a cougar, and her head injury over the summer...this is an interesting read. I wonder if she takes any medications for any chronic conditions and for some reason had not been taking them.

“Peduncular hallucinosis is a rare form of visual hallucination often described as vivid, colorful visions of people and animals. The exact pathophysiology is unknown; however, most cases have been described in relation to lesions in the thalamus or midbrain.”

Peduncular Hallucinosis: A Case Report

*edited to add that it sounds like typically these hallucinations are non-threatening

Last edited:
Is this a possible scenario.... she’s home, think she sees something, locks all of her doors and is inside with her gun. Someone sneaks up the ladder and comes into the house that way. There is a struggle and her gun goes off and shoots the ceiling. The struggle continues and she fires it again right by their face, it misses and goes through the window but when this happens she gets away and now she is thinking she shot them in the face. She runs upstairs trying to escape that way, person follows her and gets her gun and throws it off the roof. Then the person orders her down the ladder with their gun. And that’s it, they disappear, House is still locked, only her gun fired shots. Problem with this is the five minute phone call and I’m sure other things I can’t think of right now.

Your scenario is plausible to me (or some variation of it). Odd that she'd be on the phone in the middle of the night, apparently calling for help (about a cougar?) Maybe she saw something in the yard and tried to convince herself it was a cougar and not a human. In which case, the intruders didn't come by car.

Your scenario is plausible to me (or some variation of it). Odd that she'd be on the phone in the middle of the night, apparently calling for help (about a cougar?) Maybe she saw something in the yard and tried to convince herself it was a cougar and not a human. In which case, the intruders didn't come by car.

If I were in a situation like that I don’t think I would mention a cougar I would jump straight to the fact there were people in my house when calling someone. Also, if she had time to call 3 people and talk for that long it seems like perhaps she wasn’t being chased or anything That being said I also would have just called 911 so who knows, we all act differently in situations but my real problem with it being an abduction is the time she spent on the phone. I still personally think a mental brake is the most likely in this situation.

Here is my thought, if AQ did have time to make these (3) calls, who, as an abductor, would waste their time hanging out outside and give victim time to make phone calls?

Did AQ possibly want out of a relationship and figured this was the only way out was by planning a scenario which has took place? Maybe her son knows it too.

so strange.

Here is my thought, if AQ did have time to make these (3) calls, who, as an abductor, would waste their time hanging out outside and give victim time to make phone calls?

Did AQ possibly want out of a relationship and figured this was the only way out was by planning a scenario which has took place? Maybe her son knows it too.

so strange.

I keep going back to the "LE found the cabin was locked up", aspect of this case.

OK, if I'm a SHTF situation and someone is breaking into where I am at, I will wait until I have a clear line-of-sight towards the perps, before opening fire. I'd wait until they're breaking in or just inside the abode.

JMO

I might be in the minority on this opinion but after a lot of thought, I'm not convinced that Ada was even at the cabin on Oct 17th.

1. Police released right away they had suspicions of foul play. I don't think this was a hasty release and that they changed their mind later on what the scene looked like. It wouldn't take LE long to figure out there was no blood and no return shots fired from outside the cabin. The first press release was posted at 9:29 AM on Oct 18: Benzie County Sheriff
This was over 24 hours after police arrived on scene at 2:58 AM on Oct 17. They had ample time to see the scene clearly in daylight and decide what info they wanted to release to the public.

2. They tried to track her with K-9's without success (one of the first things they did from the first press release). Weather was not bad that day as far as I can tell (dogs can be affected by extreme cold or extreme heat). Had she been there and run off into the woods due to a hallucination I believe the dogs would have been able to track her scent-- especially since her boots were left behind on the roof, implying that she was barefoot. If she had been taken away in a car I also believe the dogs would track her scent out at least to the driveway.

3. By Oct 23rd Police told us her boyfriend is a "Subject of interest". Police suspect foul play in disappearance of Southfield woman in northern Michigan
Why? They didn't have to reveal this and often they like to avoid telling the public who they are looking at. A very early article in this thread also revealed that Ada had been up to the cabin with her boyfriend but he had left her there alone: MI - MI - Adrienne Quintal, 47, called for help, foul play possible, Honor, Benzie Co., 17 Oct 2019
We heard about the boyfriend very early for a reason.

3. At one point Police said they were also looking for her downstate: "Schendel said "we don't believe she's here anymore," adding that other agencies are looking for her downstate."
Police suspect foul play in disappearance of Southfield woman in northern Michigan
That info was released the same time they told us her boyfriend was a POI.

4. Police don't think she is in the COUNTY where the cabin is located. From Oct 24th:
Schendel said he personally believes that Quintal is no longer in the Benzie County area.
"I say that only because we did an exhaustive search on Saturday on the area around the house," he said. "You know, we don't know what we have. We don't know if someone took their life or anything like that, wandered into the woods and succumbed to hypothermia -- so we did an extensive search in that area using K-9 dogs, cadaver dogs, state police drones from air, CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) people... and after a whole day of searching, we came up negative."
Foul Play Suspected In Adrienne Quintal's Disappearance; $5,000 Reward Offered
BBM. This goes along with number 3 and looking for her downstate. He seems to be saying they have done their due diligence to search and thinks they have ruled out suicide and accidental death from hypothermia in the area of the cabin. If she is there in the woods she hid herself pretty well.

5. The boyfriend was the last person to see her and police revealed this made him a POI: Boyfriend named person of interest in disappearance of Benzie County woman
Apparently no one else saw her after she left to go to the cabin with him. Her family gave interviews saying she was last seen leaving to go to the cabin. Is there any evidence she ever arrived at the cabin? Any purchases made by her along the way or in the area? Any photos of her on her phone from those days? Her purse, phone, car and dog were found there but do we know for sure that she was there?

6. The boyfriend has lawyer-ed up and stopped cooperating. Ok, I know this is his right to get a lawyer and doesn't automatically mean he is guilty. And to a certain extent I don't blame him for doing that-- he was last to see her and police are calling him a "subject of interest". I would probably get a lawyer too if police said that. But why is he not also searching for her? Why is he not pleading for her to return? And why are people treading carefully about revealing his name? We had to find out his first name from a podcast interview with a family member. At the very least, not looking for her and not talking to her family right now make him a bad boyfriend.

7. Ada's phone supposedly called 3 people before she reached someone on the 3rd try. That could be Ada panicking and trying to find anyone at all who was awake to help her... Or it could be a sign that someone needed to stage the scene with an outside witness and it didn't matter so much which person they got a hold of at that time of night. Think about the last time someone called you in the middle of the night and woke you from a sound sleep with an emergency situation. I know for me I wasn't so concerned with listening carefully to the person's voice to authenticate that it was the name on my contact list connected with that phone number... In fact, these days I rarely speak on the phone to anyone except my very closest friends and family. Friends that I may only text or see socially on occasion wouldn't know my voice at 3 AM. And it's also more difficult to recognize someone's voice if they are yelling or whispering to you because they say someone is trying to break in. All someone needs to stage this scene is a willing female accomplice. Calling a friend instead of 911 and giving the wrong house number gave that person time to put the phone down and get away from the area before police arrived at the cabin.

8. The text about seeing a cougar seems like an early attempt at staging to me. Maybe the first idea was to make it look like she got scared away by a cougar but that plan was abandoned. Next plan call and yell info in the background while firing her gun so it seems like a shoot out is happening. Climb in the attic and whisper the address. Then climb out the window (As Ada was known to do) and leave her phone, boots and gun as if she dropped them all while running away or in a struggle. That text to her boyfriend about the cougar also set up his alibi-- police told her sister they could tell his phone was downstate (from the podcast summary). It also could have been a code text from an accomplice, to let him know she made it to the cabin and had walked the dog before starting the staging.

9. The new press release everyone thought was a bombshell that changed what may have happened. But police didn't just find out that info on Nov 9th. They knew they had to force their way into the cabin and knew there was no sign of blood pretty soon after arriving on the scene. Maybe the shell casing forensics could have taken some time to determine there was only one gun involved, but they knew if they found casings outside or not and where the bullet holes were located. They still chose to say foul play was suspected and the boyfriend was a POI despite knowing most of the info eventually released to us: Benzie County Central Dispatch
LE didn't give any other details on other forensics in the cabin. Were Ada's prints and DNA on the spent casings? On the phone? Was anyone else's prints or DNA found anywhere? Were things wiped clean of prints which would show staging was involved?

LE knows the answers to many more questions but they are not telling us. I may change my mind on this all tomorrow but thinking about it all right now I think it was a staged scene.

MOO.

I might be in the minority on this opinion but after a lot of thought, I'm not convinced that Ada was even at the cabin on Oct 17th.

1. Police released right away they had suspicions of foul play. I don't think this was a hasty release and that they changed their mind later on what the scene looked like. It wouldn't take LE long to figure out there was no blood and no return shots fired from outside the cabin. The first press release was posted at 9:29 AM on Oct 18: Benzie County Sheriff
This was over 24 hours after police arrived on scene at 2:58 AM on Oct 17. They had ample time to see the scene clearly in daylight and decide what info they wanted to release to the public.

2. They tried to track her with K-9's without success (one of the first things they did from the first press release). Weather was not bad that day as far as I can tell (dogs can be affected by extreme cold or extreme heat). Had she been there and run off into the woods due to a hallucination I believe the dogs would have been able to track her scent-- especially since her boots were left behind on the roof, implying that she was barefoot. If she had been taken away in a car I also believe the dogs would track her scent out at least to the driveway.

3. By Oct 23rd Police told us her boyfriend is a "Subject of interest". Police suspect foul play in disappearance of Southfield woman in northern Michigan
Why? They didn't have to reveal this and often they like to avoid telling the public who they are looking at. A very early article in this thread also revealed that Ada had been up to the cabin with her boyfriend but he had left her there alone: MI - MI - Adrienne Quintal, 47, called for help, foul play possible, Honor, Benzie Co., 17 Oct 2019

3. At one point Police said they were also looking for her downstate: "Schendel said "we don't believe she's here anymore," adding that other agencies are looking for her downstate."
Police suspect foul play in disappearance of Southfield woman in northern Michigan

4. Police don't think she is in the COUNTY where the cabin is located. From Oct 24th:

BBM. This goes along with number 3 and looking for her downstate. He seems to be saying they have done their due diligence to search and thinks they have ruled out suicide and accidental death from hypothermia in the area of the cabin. If she is there in the woods she hid herself pretty well.

5. The boyfriend was the last person to see her and police revealed this made him a POI: Boyfriend named person of interest in disappearance of Benzie County woman
Apparently no one else saw her after she left to go to the cabin with him. Her family gave interviews saying she was last seen leaving to go to the cabin. Is there any evidence she ever arrived at the cabin? Any purchases made by her along the way or in the area? Any photos of her on her phone from those days? Her purse, phone, car and dog were found there but do we know for sure that she was there?

6. The boyfriend has lawyer-ed up and stopped cooperating. Ok, I know this is his right to get a lawyer and doesn't automatically mean he is guilty. And to a certain extent I don't blame him for doing that-- he was last to see her and police are calling him a "subject of interest". I would probably get a lawyer too if police said that. But why is he not also searching for her? Why is he not pleading for her to return? And why are people treading carefully about revealing his name? We had to find out his first name from a podcast interview with a family member. At the very least, not looking for her and not talking to her family right now make him a bad boyfriend.

7. Ada's phone supposedly called 3 people before she reached someone on the 3rd try. That could be Ada panicking and trying to find anyone at all who was awake to help her... Or it could be a sign that someone needed to stage the scene with an outside witness and it didn't matter so much which person they got a hold of at that time of night. Think about the last time someone called you in the middle of the night and woke you from a sound sleep with an emergency situation. I know for me I wasn't so concerned with listening carefully to the person's voice to authenticate that it was the name on my contact list connected with that phone number... In fact, these days I rarely speak on the phone to anyone except my very closest friends and family. Friends that I may only text or see socially on occasion wouldn't know my voice at 3 AM. And it's also more difficult to recognize someone's voice if they are yelling or whispering to you because they say someone is trying to break in. All someone needs to stage this scene is a willing female accomplice. Calling a friend instead of 911 and giving the wrong house number gave that person time to put the phone down and get away from the area before police arrived at the cabin.

8. The text about seeing a cougar seems like an early attempt at staging to me. Maybe the first idea was to make it look like she got scared away by a cougar but that plan was abandoned. Next plan call and yell info in the background while firing her gun so it seems like a shoot out is happening. Climb in the attic and whisper the address. Then climb out the window (As Ada was known to do) and leave her phone, boots and gun as if she dropped them all while running away or in a struggle. That text to her boyfriend about the cougar also set up his alibi-- police told her sister they could tell his phone was downstate (from the podcast summary). It also could have been a code text from an accomplice, to let him know she made it to the cabin and had walked the dog before starting the staging.

9. The new press release everyone thought was a bombshell that changed what may have happened. But police didn't just find out that info on Nov 9th. They knew they had to force their way into the cabin and knew there was no sign of blood pretty soon after arriving on the scene. Maybe the shell casing forensics could have taken some time to determine there was only one gun involved, but they knew if they found casings outside or not and where the bullet holes were located. They still chose to say foul play was suspected and the boyfriend was a POI despite knowing most of the info eventually released to us: Benzie County Central Dispatch
LE didn't give any other details on other forensics in the cabin. Were Ada's prints and DNA on the spent casings? On the phone? Was anyone else's prints or DNA found anywhere? Were things wiped clean of prints which would show staging was involved?

LE knows the answers to many more questions but they are not telling us. I may change my mind on this all tomorrow but thinking about it all right now I think it was a staged scene.

MOO.

One of the best, and best thought-out, posts I've seen on Websleuths.

This case doesn't pass the smell test.

Who who was she in contact with priot to that night??? That information has not been released. We have an extremely short timeframe which has been released to the public.

JMO

Last edited:
Drugs are unpredictable and in common use. They can cause psychotic episodes as we all know. She may have been doing drugs that night. She may have hallucinated about a cougar, took the shots, gone up on the roof with her gun her gun and with her phone, made those calls and then had a real mental break. Left her shoes up there. Then wandered off. Panthers are rare up here. Seldom caught on trail cams but have recently at least once. I had heard that the friend she called was actually a relative.

Drugs are unpredictable and in common use. They can cause psychotic episodes as we all know. She may have been doing drugs that night. She may have hallucinated about a cougar, took the shots, gone up on the roof with her gun her gun and with her phone, made those calls and then had a real mental break. Left her shoes up there. Then wandered off. Panthers are rare up here. Seldom caught on trail cams but have recently at least once. I had heard that the friend she called was actually a relative.

Can you or anyone else show me any evidence from MSM or LE sources that Ada has a history of drug use? She is 47 years old. She should have had multiple past arrests for drugs if she has struggled with it. Not many people decide to start experimenting with drugs all of the sudden at her age. Mental breaks can happen but, again, that's something that usually is not out of the blue at age 47. There would be warning signs with most mental illnesses. Her sister said she didn't have any mental health issues. MOO.

Can you or anyone else show me any evidence from MSM or LE sources that Ada has a history of drug use? She is 47 years old. She should have had multiple past arrests for drugs if she has struggled with it. Not many people decide to start experimenting with drugs all of the sudden at her age. Mental breaks can happen but, again, that's something that usually is not out of the blue at age 47. There would be warning signs with most mental illnesses. Her sister said she didn't have any mental health issues. MOO.

In my experience, a lot of people are good at hiding it, and may have people in their lives who help them to hide it.

JMO

All someone needs to stage this scene is a willing female accomplice. Calling a friend instead of 911 and giving the wrong house number gave that person time to put the phone down and get away from the area before police arrived at the cabin.
MOO.

Excellent post Gardener. I'm on board, especially with the BBM part.

I will add that if giving the "wrong address" was intentional I'm sure the perpetrator(s) left northbound from the property, as I believe 2900 address is south of 4900 one.

MOO.
Wow! Such a good post—so much food for thought! It all makes sense and I think it’s possible she wasn’t there at the cabin. I think it’s so weird the dogs couldn’t pick up her scent. And her sister made a point to say she was last seen before going to the cabin. Made me think they’re discounting the bf’s account.

The only thing that gives me pause is the phone call. It’s just so risky for someone to impersonate her voice to someone she knows well (it was a good friend, right?) but it is possible. And the if they are able to pull it off.....they’re pretty much home free.

You make really good points and lots to think about!

Great posts, Gardener. My very brief comment in regard to possible drug use is only this: what if Ada could have taken a prescribed Ambien, after her 1:30AM dog walk? It's a common prescription and not at all indicative of a drug problem at all, but in some people can cause them to do very odd things. Just pure speculation on my part, looking for some reasons that Ada may have not been subject to foul play, had a mental break, or intentionally disappeared. I admit, the probability seems slight, as she should have been found fairly soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53