GUILTY MI - Kimberly Bogseth, 32, murdered, South Haven, 1 Sept 2015

Grand Junction man standing trial for wife's murder
by Alexandra Jokich Wednesday, September 7th 2016

PAW PAW, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Almost exactly one year after a woman is found dead in the woods outside her Grand Junction home, her husband is standing trial for murder.

Brent Bogseth appeared calm and attentive on day one of his wife's murder trial.

Today we only heard testimony from law enforcement.

The couple's roommates, and the neighbor involved in the alleged affair are expected to take the stand later this week.

The murder weapon was never recovered.
He had multiple hammers due to his carpentry background.
It was stated in court yesterday.

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 14m14 minutes ago
Back in court for day 2 of Bogseth murder trial in Van Buren Co

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 10m10 minutes ago
Coffeeshop barista takes the stand. "Brent deals acid & wondered if I could help link him to people, which I didn't by the way."

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 5m5 minutes ago
Barista: Brent came in & said 'can you call the cops & say you're Kim & that you're okay?'

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 4m4 minutes ago
Barista: I was like 'well can't you get in trouble for that?' & he was like 'only if you get caught'

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 3m3 minutes ago
Barista: It sounded really crazy to me so I didn't hear the next few words he said. It's the weirdest question I've ever been asked.

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 27m27 minutes ago
Bogseths' neighbor Larry Brink takes the stand, addresses "elephant in the room" -- admits to having an affair with Kimberly

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 24m24 minutes ago Paw Paw, MI
When asked what caused the affair to stop, Brink tears up & says -- Kimberly went missing

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 23m23 minutes ago
Brink: When I was told Kimmy's purse was found in my yard, I was devastated. I broke down.

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 18m18 minutes ago
Brink says he did multiple searches for Kim after she went missing
Prosecutor: About how many? Brink tears up: I'm still searching

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 17m17 minutes ago
Brink is the one who found Kim's body 'We were on the trail & I smelled death'

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 17m17 minutes ago
Brink: I saw a foot sticking out of the ferns & I started running... I was petrified

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 13m13 minutes ago
Prosecutor: I'm going to ask you straight up. Did you kill Kimberly Bogseth? Brink: No sir.

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 11m11 minutes ago

Brink's son is testifying now. He was there when Kimberly's body was found. Says his dad was hysterical, crying, calling the police

This article is a good synopsis of what happened.

Murder trial underway in Paw Paw
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2016 6:00 am
By ANDREW LERSTEN - HP Staff Writer

It also mentions the hammer.

Van Buren County Assistant Prosecutor Jay Blair said earlier . . . that while Brent Bogseth’s tool bag was found in his vehicle, his favorite work hammer was missing.

Blair believes that was the murder weapon, which was never recovered. The head injuries on Kim Bogseth were consistent with hammer blows, he said.

Alex Jokich ‏@ajokichwwmt 20m20 minutes ago

BOGSETH MURDER TRIAL: Day 2

"We were on the trail and I smelled death."

A tearful testimony from the neighbor... http://fb.me/1BvNtqB2b

Lively moments surround Grand Junction slaying, witnesses testify
Posted: Friday, September 9, 2016 / Updated: 9:20 am
By ANDREW LERSTEN - HP Staff

Detectives, medical examiner testify in Brent Bogseth murder trial
Posted 9:05 PM, September 9, 2016, by Lauren Edwards

The texts that didn't appear
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 6:00 am
By ANDREW LERSTEN - HP Staff Writer

Police testified Friday that a string of 61 text messages between Brent and Kim Bogseth exchanged the last morning she was seen alive had been manually deleted from both their phones before police analyzed the devices.

State Police Detective Sgt. Paul Gonyeau, a computer and cell phone analysis expert, testifed in Van Buren Circuit Court that the missing text messages were exchanged between the couple between 6:36 and 9:24 a.m. that morning.

Analysis from the cell phone company confirmed the phone texting activity, but the content could not be retrieved from the phones because they had been manually deleted from both phones, Gonyeau said.

A forensic entomologist with Michigan State University, Ryan Kimbirauskas, testified that he used fly maggots from the decomposing body to estimate that the body could have been at the location where it was found as early as Sept. 3.

In other testimony Friday, police discussed their forensic comparison between the black garbage bags covering the body and additional bags found at two other sites – at the Bogseth house and at a housing development near South Haven where Brent Bogseth worked as a maintenance man. All bags were determined to be identical.

The trial continues Tuesday in Van Buren Circuit Court in Paw Paw.

Snippet the most recent media.

"The former owner of Regulus Coffee House in Portage Park was sentenced Monday to life in prison for murdering his wife, the co-owner of the popular cafe in the Irving Austin Business District, her family said.

Posts were made on Kimberly Bogseth's Facebook page after she was reported missing, sparking an attempt by Internet sleuths to determine whether she had left her family willingly or been harmed."

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...gulus-cafe-sentencing-kimberly-allison-murder

Also from the above link:

Brent and Kimberly Bogseth, who were high school sweethearts at Taft High School, had a young son, Gage.

Ellen Sullivan, who attended Taft with Brent and Kimberly Bogseth and remained close with the couple, said she never believed Kimberly Bogseth left her son.

"Kim was a free spirit with the mouth of a sailor," Sullivan said, laughing. "She loved her son. That's how we want her to be remembered. She was a great mother."

:rose:

Regarding Brent Bogseth's appeal:

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/news...cle_da03ad27-8bb7-5e49-b52c-1694f4dc0def.html

In his appeal, Bogseth argued that there was insufficient evidence to support his conviction and that he did not receive a fair trial.

Bogseth argues next in his appeal that the trial court erred when it allowed the prosecutor to display a hammer before the jury that was purportedly like the one he owned.
Bogseth also raised a number of additional arguments, according to the decision. He claimed that the trial court erred when it allowed the admission of certain items of evidence. He also argued that his defense counsel was ineffective and that the prosecutor engaged in misconduct.

“We have examined each of these claims of error and conclude that none have any merit,” the decision states.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back