GUILTY MI - Patrick Mikes, 55, Troy, 27 July 2012

Jeez, they've covered the Bray's Hamburgers raid better than this case.

For those who are not local, a popular hamburger joint's owner turns out to be an Albanian freedom fighter here illegally and they're deporting him. Said burger joint's claim to fame is the giant donkey on top of the building, which I find unappetizing in a hamburger place (but the former owner, and I guess current owner again, has the last name of Bray).

Oldkentuck, what movie theater in Holly? I thought it was Great Lakes Crossing which is in Auburn Hills. Iirc.
Also i'd imagine all those circled marks might have been possible areas to test just from the initial crime scene tech. What a tech sees & how they see it would be from a differnt perspective than what I would see & i'd be thankful if they over tested & found nothing rather than the opposite. Mabe they were'nt thinking blood but saliva or other fluid.??idk
Someone mentioned contruction on I75. I luv backroads. There is always alternate route that does'nt involve the higway. So many dirt roads.
I hope they find Mr.Mikes today. I cant imagine family waiting to hear this news.

"...Redmond said blood evidence at the home is being analyzed to see whether it is from Mikes Sr. Auburn Hills Police Detective Brian Martin testified that Mikes Jr. was seen on video July 26 -- and was linked through credit card transactions -- buying single movie tickets at the Star Theater at Great Lakes Crossing mall. One purchase was at 2:04 p.m. and one at 9:11 p.m. In between, he charged a meal for $11.53 at the Johnny Rockets restaurant nearby, Martin said..."

http://www.freep.com/article/20120801/NEWS03/120801027/missing-Troy-man-Patrick-Mikes

Single movie tickets - no "girlfriend" mentioned in any media report that I've seen.

A meal - $11.53 at Johnny Rockets doesn't sound like dinner for two.

"...Redmond said blood evidence at the home is being analyzed to see whether it is from Mikes Sr. Auburn Hills Police Detective Brian Martin testified that Mikes Jr. was seen on video July 26 -- and was linked through credit card transactions -- buying single movie tickets at the Star Theater at Great Lakes Crossing mall. One purchase was at 2:04 p.m. and one at 9:11 p.m. In between, he charged a meal for $11.53 at the Johnny Rockets restaurant nearby, Martin said..."

http://www.freep.com/article/20120801/NEWS03/120801027/missing-Troy-man-Patrick-Mikes

Single movie tickets - no "girlfriend" mentioned in any media report that I've seen.

A meal - $11.53 at Johnny Rockets doesn't sound like dinner for two.

Thank you.
I wonder i f he's on video going in & out of theaters at appropriate times? it's ironic that he was prolly hoping for solid alibi w/ this but really it looks suspicious. I don't kno any young men that have gone to the movies twice in 1 day. ( I'm sure they exisit) Johnny rockets is directly across from the theater btw. The mall has a ton of eateries & food court. I wonder what "in between" means in relation to movie times. Did he watch movie, then go to johnny rockets then what walk the mall til next movie.
Oh no... what if he was there.. covering while someone else (srry) disposed of Sr.? That he's taking the fall for the credit charges to cover for ??
I have'nt watched any news yet.

Thank you.
I wonder i f he's on video going in & out of theaters at appropriate times? it's ironic that he was prolly hoping for solid alibi w/ this but really it looks suspicious. I don't kno any young men that have gone to the movies twice in 1 day. ( I'm sure they exisit) Johnny rockets is directly across from the theater btw. The mall has a ton of eateries & food court. I wonder what "in between" means in relation to movie times. Did he watch movie, then go to johnny rockets then what walk the mall til next movie.
Oh no... what if he was there.. covering while someone else (srry) disposed of Sr.? That he's taking the fall for the credit charges to cover for ??
I have'nt watched any news yet.

The two movies for which Patrick, Jr. purchased tickets are mentioned somewhere - it might have been at the first LE presser when someone asked what movies PM had seen. Your timeline sounds about right. Not sure how much wandering around the mall in between movie, meal, movie, but LE probably has accurate timeline with surveillance video to support. Parking lot surveillance, too, to see if Patrick's vehicle stayed in one place or was moved at some point. :moo:

No updates in local media that I've seen this morning.

Troy police await DNA results in case of missing man believed to be dead

Published: Tuesday, August 07, 2012

By CAROL HOPKINS
carol.hopkins@oakpress.com; Twitter: OPCarolHopkins @opcarolhopkins

Part of the mystery connected with the case of a missing Troy father could be solved soon when Troy police receive DNA results this week.

Capt. Bob Redmond with Troy Police said Michigan State Police were conducting tests on evidence taken at the scene of a violent altercation in the basement of Patrick Mikes Sr.’ home.

“We expect them Tuesday (today) or Wednesday,” said Redmond.

The testing would indicate who was present at the fight, officials explained...

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arti...5020354414631830417429.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Hmmmm, the comment about "who was present" almost sounds like they're expecting more than Sr. and Jr.....???

I did'nt get t see any. Anything new?

From the Jane Velez-Mitchell transcript, August 6:

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Police are now calling it a homicide case.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Our investigators have shifted from locating Mr. Mikes to locating Mr. Mikes` body.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Surveillance of the 21-year-old buying cleaning supplies at a local store. Based on the blood and other evidence found in the basement, it is highly unlikely Mr. Mikes survived the vicious encounter.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Unbelievable. A 55-year-old Michigan accountant -- there he is -- and family man, who loves to bike ride, suddenly vanishes. And tonight, cops suspect he`s dead and may have been murdered. In an astounding twist, police are pointing to his overachiever son and namesake as a suspect.

Police say they don`t believe Patrick Mikes Senior is alive after finding evidence of a bloody brawl in the basement of their home, the same basement where his 21-year-old son was living through the summer.

That son, Patrick Junior, and his brother allegedly reported their dad missing. Days after he was last seen, Junior -- look at this handsome young man. Goes to Notre Dame, overachiever, and double major pre-med.

Junior said his dad went out for a bike ride on July 27 and never came home, but cops just aren`t buying that story. Even worse for Junior, cops claim to have surveillance video of Junior buying cleaning supplies at a local store right after dad vanished.

On one hand, he`s a promising student at a prestigious school, Notre Dame, and the other hand, accused of stealing his little brother`s credit card. And now he is a suspect in his dad`s disappearance.

HLN contributor and investigative reporter Jon Lieberman, what have you learned tonight?

LIEBERMAN: Well, what`s interesting is cops jammed up the Junior there by arresting him on charges that he stole his little brother`s credit card the night before their dad went missing. Cops were hoping -- hoping - -- that, by getting him on that charge, by the time he bonded out, they might have more evidence to get him on a murder charge, but it didn`t work.

Surprisingly, the bail was set at $50,000 for Junior, who you`re looking at there, and family members posted it. So he is now out on bail as this investigation into what happened to his father continues.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Let`s review the timeline. Patrick Junior allegedly used his kid brother`s credit card to go to two movies and dinner on Thursday, July 26. Police think there was, quote, a violent encounter in the basement of the family of the home, possibly that night.

Based on the amount of blood, the Oakland County medical examiner said it`s highly unlikely anyone would live through whatever happened in that basement.

Cops say Senior didn`t show up for work the next day. He`s an accountant. That`s the very day Junior told detectives his dad left at about 5:30 Friday afternoon to go bike riding and never came back. It wasn`t until a couple of days later on Sunday that the sons reported Dad missing. And cops reportedly have surveillance video of Junior buying cleaning supplies at a local store.

Mike Brooks, is it possible that he goes out -- he takes his kid brother`s credit card, goes out and splurges on two movies and dinner and comes home, and the dad catches him in that act and wants to discipline a 21-year-old?

BROOKS: It`s very possible. Was it him? Was he there with someone else? With all this blood, who does the blood belong to? That`s going to take a little bit of time. They should know exactly what happened in that basement.

And that timeline, Jane, that all-important timeline, what happened between July 27 and July 29? And where was his whereabouts, you know? Where did he go? They can track his whereabouts. But now that he`s out, there`s also ways that I`m sure there are some other things that are going on in this investigation that law enforcement doesn`t want anybody to know about.

But -- but he`s out. Who`s he talking to and who`s he visiting?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, Jayne Weintraub, you and I covered a certain case that became infamous and there are shades of that here.

WEINTRAUB: Well, about the credit card. I mean, Casey Anthony did the same thing with a friend`s credit card and Mom`s credit card, I mean, before the crime, allegedly, if there was a crime that took place. That was one of the state`s theories in Casey Anthony.

But you know, what I think, is I think that there`s evidence -- when the M.E. said that there`s evidence of a homicide there, I think in that basement, you have either a machete. I think you have a knife. I think you have skin. I think you have evidence of a homicide. But that doesn`t tie it to the son.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: By the way, that was Casey Anthony shopping at Target.

WEINTRAUB: From her friend`s credit card.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: But back to this young man. What I don`t get, Jon Lieberman, is he`s an overachiever, a double major at a prestigious school, pre-med, no criminal history up until this point.

Look at his face; look at his expression. He looks like he is in crisis. He looks like he`s just trying to hold it together here.

LIEBERMAN: Look, Jane, you just never know. Let`s say the dad did confront him and try to discipline him. People can nap, even overachievers. Sex offenders, murderers. We talk about this all the time, they don`t always look like what you think they might look like.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I don`t think murderers look any which way. I`ve covered murderers who look like they`re movie stars. And I`m not calling this guy a murderer.

His attorney sass he had nothing to do with it. We have reached out to his attorney, didn`t hear back. But he -- I believe he`s bonded out and he -- and his attorney are invited to the show any time.

More on the other side.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He has a high grade point level. He`s a pre- med/psychology double major. He`s there on an academic scholarship. He has no prior criminal history whatsoever. His sister is here. His are here.

That, the attorney for Patrick Mikes Junior, who cops are calling a suspect in his dad`s disappearance. But again, we tried to reach that attorney, have not held back. He or the suspect himself, Patrick Mikes Jr., invited on any time.

No, he said reportedly, he told cops, "Oh, Dad went for a bike ride." Jayne Weintraub, criminal defense attorney, why do cops say nonsense to that story?

WEINTRAUB: Well, they do believe that he did not for for a bike ride, or that he had come home, because his bike equipment and gloves and helmet were found in the home. And he`s an avid rider. Every day, had a routine, and wore the helmet all the time.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes, we all know with those avid bikers, they have their rituals and their routines. They`re not likely, if they always use a helmet, to go out without the helmet. But you never know. Maybe he had two helmets.

I have two helmets, and I`m not even an avid biker. The police passed out a picture of two cars. One person told cops he saw that car drive through an area the very weekend the dad went missing.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: They brought this picture over and said, have you seen this vehicle?

And I said, I`m pretty sure I`ve seen it.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What do you make of that, Mike Brooks?

BROOKS: Well, somebody had to be driving that vehicle, Jane. Do they have any video surveillance in that area at all, of that vehicle? Do they have any video surveillance of anyone on a bicycle in that time frame where he allegedly went riding?

His shoes -- you know, I have friends that are bikers. They have their favorite shoes. They clip in to go riding. They were at the house. They`re not going anywhere without those shoes, Jane, nowhere at all.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Jon Lieberman, very quickly, what about the cleaning materials and shat about the little brother, the kid brother?

LIEBERMAN: Well, the cleaning materials, you know, could be very important in this case, especially the surveillance that they have of it. And I do want to point out, the search goes on for the dad as well.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes. Even though they think he is probably deceased, the man you`re looking at here, at least police believe he is deceased based on the blood found in his basement. We`re going to stay on top of it.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1208/06/ijvm.01.html

I am just mystified by this, completely stumped.

Thank you Bette for the JVM. I had some things mixed up..

I can't imagine Sr.'s loved ones waiting for someone to find his body.

nothing new this morning that I could find. Just ridiculous to me that human beings can be discarded to be found b some random unassuming person.
A little OT but we do adult foster care n our home. My most favorite lady passed away yesterday peacefully in bed after a lenghy illness. Her family could'nt let her body out of site after she passed. They followed her to the funeral home and were tortured to have to leave her there! I cannot fathom leaving a human being outdoors and driving away!!

Part of the mystery connected with the case of a missing Troy father could be solved soon when Troy police receive DNA results this week.

Capt. Bob Redmond with Troy Police said Michigan State Police were conducting tests on evidence taken at the scene of a violent altercation in the basement of Patrick Mikes Sr.’s home.

“We expect them Tuesday or Wednesday,” said Redmond.

http://www.dailytribune.com/article...sults-in-case-of-missing-man&pager=full_story

nothing new this morning that I could find. Just ridiculous to me that human beings can be discarded to be found b some random unassuming person.
A little OT but we do adult foster care n our home. My most favorite lady passed away yesterday peacefully in bed after a lenghy illness. Her family could'nt let her body out of site after she passed. They followed her to the funeral home and were tortured to have to leave her there! I cannot fathom leaving a human being outdoors and driving away!!

I am so sorry for your loss. I want to thank you for doing what you do and for caring so much. I lost my mother to dementia earlier this year and every one of the nurses and aides came to give her a kiss and tell her goodbye before she left us. I felt so lucky to have had her in their care after it got to the point where I couldn't do it all anymore. They treated her just like a member of their own family, mom loved them all and I am so grateful for them and for people like you. :tyou:

Thank you for your thoughtful post and for caring for the elderly who have no family able to assist in the task. :rose:

Many folks care more for their pets than some do for the humans in their lives! There are far too many cases where loved ones are tossed away like garbage due to an accidental or intentional killing. Rather than pay the consequences of their brutal actions, these people get rid of the body and assume, "No body. No case." :furious:

I hope and pray for justice for Patrick Mikes, Sr.

Hello all, new to the forums. I believe we are all on the right track with the information that the news has provided to us. It's nice to be able to read between the lines with the news and know there is always more.

It is a shame that this family has not been allowed to have closure with proper service and burial.

I could see more information brought to the forums with in a week or two.

I understand that there are 3 children, is it possible that the police believe that the daughter is involved? It was referenced in earlier posts that the DNA will show who was there. where was she at during this incident? Was she present during the confrontation or maybe helped with the cover up (just keeping an open mind an looking at all possibilities).

Keep up the great work everyone

Hello all, new to the forums. I believe we are all on the right track with the information that the news has provided to us. It's nice to be able to read between the lines with the news and know there is always more.

It is a shame that this family has not been allowed to have closure with proper service and burial.

I could see more information brought to the forums with in a week or two.

I understand that there are 3 children, is it possible that the police believe that the daughter is involved? It was referenced in earlier posts that the DNA will show who was there. where was she at during this incident? Was she present during the confrontation or maybe helped with the cover up (just keeping an open mind an looking at all possibilities).

Keep up the great work everyone

Welcome to Websleuths. Media reports suggest that the daughter, the oldest of the three siblings, lives out-of-state and came to Michigan when she learned of her father's disappearance. At this time, there is no reason to believe that the daughter had any involvement in whatever happened to Mr. Mikes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Champ86
Back