MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
right left confusion just doesn't explain that day's events to me. As a 25 year veteran, if right/left confusion was an issue for her I don't see why it took 25 years to show up.

I think she was discombobulated and pulled the wrong weapon but I don't think it's because she was confused about which side was left or right. I don't know that I will ever understand how such a mistake occurs.

I will never understand why she got involved in attempting to take control of Duante when the other officer could have handled it (IMO) himself. I will never understand why that other officer didn't take Duante further back towards the rear of the vehicle prior to attempting to cuff and take him into custody. By removing him towards the back of the vehicle he would have been more geographically removed from the temptation to try to leap back into the vehicle as he did.

Just such cluster in so many ways.
Total cluster for sure.
I wonder if the arresting officer was the one that she was training and she was trying to take control for whatever reason.
I do believe it was a mistake but she is responsible for Daunte’s death due to several wrong choices she made and needs to pay for his death to the full extent of the law.

I know my limitations. I am not built, physically or mentally, for a job in law enforcement. I have many friends and family in LE. But that is not a career I would ever have gone into. I know myself, I know I would not be able to operate in a field where the circumstances could take my life or cause me to take another's.

I think her charges are appropriate and I hope Daunte's family gets justice. I am troubled by the continued protesting around this particular shooting as charges were filed nearly immediately after the investigation was done. I don't think there is anything to be done now but await the legal system to operate as it's supposed to in regards to a trial. I don't see what protests do in a case such as this where the wheels of justice are already turning and things appear to be transparent (JMO) thus far.
Totally agree on your comments about being a LEO. I am a nurse and know nurse’s who have stayed too long in the field and were not able to do the job anymore properly. I hope - and have always planned to - I will be able to leave when I am unable to nurse properly due to physical or whatever constraints - no matter my financial situation. I’m not saying that’s the case here but you do have to be alert in life and death situations and be able to respond appropriately.

Last edited:
policekillings2020calendar.png

Police officers killed more than 1,100 people in 2020, according to Mapping Police Violence.
  • That averages out to about three police killings each day.
  • Nearly 30% of those killed were Black and more than 20% were Hispanic.
Only 16 of the 1,128 incidents resulted in charges filed against the officer — a mere .01%. Even fewer resulted in convictions.

The Washington Post's Fatal Force project, which tracks fatal shootings committed by on-duty police officers, reported 1,020 gun deaths at the hands of the police during 2020 and also found that Black people and Hispanic people were shot and killed by officers at a disproportionate rate.
There were only 18 days in 2020 that the police didn't kill somebody, according to police accountability data

Police officers killed more than 1,100 people in 2020, according to Mapping Police Violence.
Only 16 of the 1,128 incidents resulted in charges filed against the officer — a mere .01%. Even fewer resulted in convictions.

The Washington Post's Fatal Force project, which tracks fatal shootings committed by on-duty police officers, reported 1,020 gun deaths at the hands of the police during 2020 and also found that Black people and Hispanic people were shot and killed by officers at a disproportionate rate.
There were only 18 days in 2020 that the police didn't kill somebody, according to police accountability data
WOW.

Daunte. Aware of Crim Charges? A Robbery Victim?
FWIW, from Daily Mail, April 16:
"... details of Wright's final months have emerged with a friend telling DailyMail.com that the father-of-one had hoped to become a mechanic but had been sucked into street life.
"Lord Anthony Lowry, 30, said Wright had been on the run for months after missing an August 20 court date and had spent his life flitting from home to home in a bid to avoid police.
He also told how Wright had been the victim of a robbery a few months ago after a weed deal went wrong.
He said: 'He'd been in trouble for a couple of years. He'd been on the run for a good minute – I don't know how long for but he told me he was on the run for a good bit now.
" bbm

Per above, Daunte was robbery victim of a few months ago. I wonder if perp held him at gun point, like he allegedly held party hostess for ~ $820. at gunpoint in Dec 2019. IDK. my2ct.

But she is a police officer who has probably had to reach for her gun and taser hundreds of times over the years. Anyone who has to think about which is their right or left should not be on the police force.

Good morning all!

I've wondered about that myself, and I'm sure we will know the answer at trial.

This city has a population of only 30k. We will learn in due time if she ever had to use her taser before or how many times she has had to pull her hangun.

IRDK, but I have read articles where many officers never had to use their gun during the entire time on the force before they retired with many years of service.

That does make logical sense to me since police officers ..which are close to a million in total, yet a little over a thousand individuals every year are shot, and killed by police officers nationwide.

I hope we can agree that not every one they come in contact with are non threatening citizens, but many can be very dangerous with a lot of them having a long violent criminal history who may have illegal firearms on themselves when they came in contact with the police.

They also come in contact with over two and a half million people each year in total in the line of duty. Due to the protests, and unrest we've seen that contact number may be even be higher now.

But, we will see how often KP used either her handgun, or taser.

As for her using her taser, and how many times if any before this..I'm sure that will come up at her trial.

Jmho

Abigail Cerra, a Minneapolis civil rights lawyer and a member of the Minneapolis Police Conduct Oversight Commission, said it was unclear why the officers stopped him for an expired registration, an issue for many drivers in the state during the coronavirus pandemic.

But two aspects of the case, she said, were infuriatingly familiar: that Mr. Wright was Black, and that the police tasked with delivering him safely to the courts, where violations of the law are supposed to be adjudicated, effectively delivered a death sentence.

Patrick Yoes, a retired sheriff’s office captain and president of the national Fraternal Order of Police.

“In a lot of cities it has to do with people feeling hopeless,” he said. “It’s poverty, it’s a failing education system. It’s all of these things that are vitally important to stability of a community.”

That instability often places officers in situations in which they confront individuals who may be dangerous and noncompliant, he said. Part of the reason society has been unable to prevent deadly encounters between law enforcement and the community is that some people are unwilling to discuss the real challenges of crime that officers sometimes encounter, he said.

“It’s just another example of a nothing offense escalated to lethality,” Ms. Cerra said.

Throughout Trial Over George Floyd’s Death, Killings by Police Mount

I think that you have to consider that police officers are working in an environment where they have to interact with criminals. Criminals who can and most often do, threaten police officers lives. Therefore the very nature of their careers mean that they are more apt to have to fire their weapons.

Dated April 12.
She has been charged.

https://pa.courts.state.mn.us/default.aspx

Case# 27-CR-21-7460
4/14/21 - KP arrested and charged with second-degree manslaughter, Culpable Negligence Creating Unreasonable Risk 609.205(1)
(maximum penalty of 10 years) Bail set at $100,000

4/14/21 - KP posted bail / released
4/15/21 - KP Initial appearance , 1:30pm, Hennepin County
5/17/21 - Omnibus Hearing, 1:30pm

It is my understanding from somewhere on a Major News site, that he did not meet as agreed with his patrol officer. However, I don't currently have a link, so, please, check that out and post here?!
With that said. If I personally were charged with the crimes Daunte Wright was charged with, I would be SO on top of what's going to happen next, and what I should do to comply. Yes, even at 20 years old.
The last thing I would do, is get into more trouble. MOO

I'm several pages behind, so this may have been covered already... I found the following article at the NYPost:

Daunte Wright was facing attempted robbery case when killed by cop

QUOTE:
"Wright was later arrested in the case and released on $100,000 bail. But he violated his bail conditions in July when he failed to stay in touch with his court monitor, the papers said."

I mean, this could be why the summons to court never found its way to him, couldn't it?

Good morning all!

I've wondered about that myself, and I'm sure we will know the answer at trial.

This city has a population of only 30k. We will learn in due time if she ever had to use her taser before or how many times she has had to pull her hangun.

IRDK, but I have read articles where many officers never had to use their gun during the entire time on the force before they retired with many years of service.

That does make logical sense to me since police officers ..which are close to a million in total, yet a little over a thousand individuals every year are shot, and killed by police officers nationwide.

I hope we can agree that not every one they come in contact with are non threatening citizens, but many can be very dangerous with a lot of them having a long violent criminal history who may have illegal firearms on themselves when they came in contact with the police.

They also come in contact with over two and a half million people each year in total in the line of duty. Due to the protests, and unrest we've seen that contact number may be even be higher now.

But, we will see how often KP used either her handgun, or taser.

As for her using her taser, and how many times if any before this..I'm sure that will come up at her trial.

Jmho

LEO I know personally say this too - that many officers never pull their hand gun in the line of duty. HOWEVER, they do pull it often in training... many many more times than they pull their tasers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Abigail Cerra, a Minneapolis civil rights lawyer and a member of the Minneapolis Police Conduct Oversight Commission, said it was unclear why the officers stopped him for an expired registration, an issue for many drivers in the state during the coronavirus pandemic.
It might of had something to do with his warrant for robbery.

For example, as the police did not know who was driving the car per se, they might not have been able to stop it on the basis that the registered owner had a felony warrant.

But, if the car had expired registration, they could stop it regardless of who was driving. The driver, once identified, could then be arrested for any outstanding warrants.

It might of had something to do with his warrant for robbery.

For example, as the police did not know who was driving the car per se, they might not have been able to stop it on the basis that the registered owner had a felony warrant.

But, if the car had expired registration, they could stop it regardless of who was driving. The driver, once identified, could then be arrested for any outstanding warrants.
He did NOT have a warrant for felony robbery.
He had a trial date for that. All relevant links are posted upthread.
This was to do with a non appearance at a zoom hearing.

I'm several pages behind, so this may have been covered already... I found the following article at the NYPost:

Daunte Wright was facing attempted robbery case when killed by cop

QUOTE:
"Wright was later arrested in the case and released on $100,000 bail. But he violated his bail conditions in July when he failed to stay in touch with his court monitor, the papers said."

I mean, this could be why the summons to court never found its way to him, couldn't it?
I'm not sure I understand your question?

He did NOT have a warrant for felony robbery.
He had a trial date for that. All relevant links are posted upthread.
This was to do with a non appearance at a zoom hearing.
OK.....

What could be the concequences if one fails to appear for a Court hearing (whether zoom or in person does not matter) pertaining to a charge of felony robbery?

Might the police be authorized to arrest such a person? Could that involve the reinstatement of an arrest warrant?

According to this defense attorney, missing a court date leads to the judge issuing an arrest warrant for the original charge (go figure):

What Happens If You Fail to Appear for Court? — #LadyJustice Speaks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member