Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read the charging docs- some of the kids didn't know. Some knew and embraced the process (see spoiled brat mentioned above who flunked a class) Not knowing? for instance one kid was asked by his academic advisor at college about track-replied that he wasn't a track athlete, and advisor said they'd look into it. Parents had exchange w/S's firm about keeping kid in the dark.

Some of the kids who were “kept in the dark” had to be suspicious of how the whole process was working out for them. They may not have known exactly what was going on, but they had to realize it was hinky.

To be honest, I do think a big donation that benefited the entire school is somehow different than lying, cheating, bribing. A donation of a library compared to photoshopping your kid's photo on an athlete's body? I think they are different.

Neither one makes a fair playing field for the rest of us, I know!

I also think the number of people who can buy a library or research center on a campus is rather small. Even Loughlin's huge $500,000 bribe wouldn't be enough for a building on campus, ykwim? And the bribe didn't go to the school anyway, but to a scammer.

jmo

BBM
This is, IMO, the most valuable takeaway from this mess. Next time some blowhard politician is spewing the age-old myth that all Americans have the same opportunities in life, we will know, without question, that it simply isn't true. And that we all need to put way more energy into ensuring that, someday, it will be true.

Lori Loughlin's daughter Olivia Jade faces uncertain future at USC due to admissions scandal

Wake Forest University, a highly selective private university in North Carolina, said the only student it has connected to the case was admitted and would not be expelled.

“We have no reason to believe the student was aware of the alleged financial transaction,” Wake Forest President Nathan Hatch said Wednesday in a statement.

A spokesman for Yale University, which also had one student whose family was implicated, said in a statement that it “may take further actions,” but he did not directly address the fate of the student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loretti11