New York couple commit suicide, leaving two adult children behind

Their own home doesn't have enough height to ensure death and not some horrible injury. I don't think there is any mystery why they jumped off the office building and not their home. I think the note supposedly saying that children were upstairs is inaccurate reporting.

This is the first time I've read this-

He volunteered after 9/11 & worked with police and fire fighters...

"Scarpelli did have one blemish on his seemingly noble family unit."

"His father, Joseph Scarpelli, served 18 months in federal prison for taking bribes from a developer to gain approval for construction projects while serving as the Brick Township Mayor in New Jersey, reports say."

http://nypost.com/2017/07/29/man-who-jumped-to-death-helped-hundreds-of-911-volunteers/

TWO NOTES
"Police say they each had suicide notes that referenced financial problems."

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswire...pparent-suicide-jump-window-article-1.3367789

I read that he had state and federal tax leins. Does that mean he owned property?
I don't know.
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/understanding-a-federal-tax-lien

MOO
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I used to work in public records. Typically, State and Federal Tax Liens are for payroll taxes. The employer deducts taxes from the employee's pay, but fails to forward it to the appropriate body.

If this is what happened, it is the kiss of death for a business. The employer is essentially stealing from the employee.

Curious why so many of you think this is a murder suicide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Searching how common double suicide is compared to murder-suicide.

Double suicide attempt.
A suicide pact is an agreement between two or more people to kill themselves. They represent 0.6-4.0 percent of all suicides, with the vast majority being double suicides. Double suicides are quite rare and are generally seen in old, married couples.

that's why I deliberately left any mention of their health out of the title

I'm not sure what you're implying, @turaj, if anything. Tabloid media, initially, jumped on the story, tbh. Mainly because it's sensational. Double suicide, high-profile middle-aged couple, possible defenestration, health care debt rumors.

(As following story links through this thread will show.)

National and other media outlets are now reporting it — and the confusion over the health care angle appears to be cleared up.

TBH, the proliferation of rumors and errors coming from NYC's local tabloid (and other) press, even recently with the June shooting at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, is some of the most baldly "get-it-first-the-facts-can-be-corrected-later" reporting I've seen in a long, long, long time. Disappointing and frustrating. It's hard to trust "first" news reports anyway, let alone "first" reports when journalists go into tabloid-style feeding frenzies at the scene without stopping first to properly source and substantiate facts.

I'm not sure he had any employees, other than his wife-receptionist

I used to work in public records. Typically, State and Federal Tax Liens are for payroll taxes. The employer deducts taxes from the employee's pay, but fails to forward it to the appropriate body.

If this is what happened, it is the kiss of death for a business. The employer is essentially stealing from the employee.

that's why I deliberately left any mention of their health out of the title

Correct. I was expounding on that post because it piqued my curiosity. Thank you!! Sorry if it veered a little off-topic by bringing up NYC-area news reporting unrelated to this case.

Wasn't disagreeing with anything; just sharing my thoughts. My sincere apologies if anything came across as rude or inappropriate! ❤️

[emoji202]MOO

Would the NYS tax lien I posted on previous page be against their home if they were for payroll?

Searching how common double suicide is compared to murder-suicide.

Double suicide attempt.

Those two weren't quite old but middle aged married couple, so it fits. I think it was a double suicide. They both had suicide notes attached to them. Those two even worked together so presumably were quite close to each other.

There are also a lot of very good reviews as well.. why didn't you post those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel free to post them. I was just bewildered by the spiritual healing aspect to it and trying to show that they were not just ordinary chiropractors. It was very late at night for me and I was tired.

ETA perhaps I could have constructed my post better

Would the NYS tax lien I posted on previous page be against their home if they were for payroll?

I can't say for certain.It could be, if they had not protected themselves with a corporation. If they were a simple Doing Business As (DBA), individuals are much more vulnerable to the IRS taking everything.

And there are other reasons for tax liens, it is just my experience the majority are for payroll taxes.

Why do I keep seeing health issues for why they jumped? Imo they jumped because they don't want to go to jail for tax evasion. Nowhere does it even say health or illness issues.

Why do I keep seeing health issues for why they jumped? Imo they jumped because they don't want to go to jail for tax evasion. Nowhere does it even say health or illness issues.

IMO It feeds into a political agenda. But....that aside.

They've been in debt for years. They've had tax liens for years.
Why would they, now, decide to end it all?
I guess I am just baffled that anyone would do that over money.

IMO It feeds into a political agenda. But....that aside.

They've been in debt for years. They've had tax liens for years.
Why would they, now, decide to end it all?
I guess I am just baffled that anyone would do that over money.

My guess is IRS was moving forward with tax sales and jail.

I have no sympathy for people that do this crap. Money problems from taxes? The majority of people manage to pay them. Maybe they could have moved to a less expensive area and lived with in their means. Novel idea.

I'm just annoyed the MSM totally fabricated the byline of this whole situation. Talk about bait and click.

When it was breaking that was in the copy but did vanish pretty quick

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1
Back