Identified! OR - Columbia Co, BlkFem 17-25, UP9006, Afro-style wig, Feb'70 - Sandra Young

I don't think so, unfortunately. She died eleven years after Adele disappeared, even though Adele would be Jane Doe's age at that point. Adele's case seems to be an abduction, meaning she was likely murdered long before 1969. The distance is also quite far between Michigan and Oregon.

Is it just me or can I not see Adele growing to as little as 5'3, if she was held captive. She would likely be malnourished and was only 3'6 in 1958. I just can't see her growing to 5'3.

Despite all of this, I do see a resemblance to Adele in the reconstruction, but I don't think this is her.

I don't think so, unfortunately. She died eleven years after Adele disappeared, even though Adele would be Jane Doe's age at that point. Adele's case seems to be an abduction, meaning she was likely murdered long before 1969. The distance is also quite far between Michigan and Oregon.

Is it just me or can I not see Adele growing to as little as 5'3, if she was held captive. She would likely be malnourished and was only 3'6 in 1958. I just can't see her growing to 5'3.

Despite all of this, I do see a resemblance to Adele in the reconstruction, but I don't think this is her.
I mean, it's possible she was more abducted in the Suzanne Sevakis way where her abductor gave her a new identity and she lived like other kids but that would really be stranger than fiction, it's not likely her.

PORTLAND, Ore. 22 Feb. 2024 – Through dedicated inter-agency cooperation, the remains of a previously unidentified young woman have been identified as Sandra Young, a Portland teenager who went missing from the Portland metro area more than five decades ago. The young woman was a Grant High School student and had not been seen since 1968 or 1969.
1708650963045.png
“Sandra Young has now regained her identity after 54 years,” said Dr. Nici Vance, the state’s Human Identification Program Coordinator at the Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office. “Her story represents a remarkable amount of diligence and collaboration between family members, detectives, Oregon State Medical Examiner staff, and our contract laboratory Parabon Nanolabs. This is yet another example of the innovative ways the ME’s Office and investigative genetic genealogy can help Oregonians find closure. This technology gives investigators the powerful ability to assist all Oregon agencies with the resolution of their cold case mysteries,” Dr. Vance continued.

On Feb. 23, 1970, the remains of a fully skeletonized young female were discovered buried in a shallow grave at the far north end of Sauvie Island in Columbia County. The discovery was made by a Boy Scout troop leader, who first saw what he thought were items of clothing and then discovered human remains within the grave. Investigators recovered the remains and the remnants of a black curly wig. Investigators believed the remains were that of an African American and trauma to the body indicated foul play.

PORTLAND, Ore. 22 Feb. 2024 – Through dedicated inter-agency cooperation, the remains of a previously unidentified young woman have been identified as Sandra Young, a Portland teenager who went missing from the Portland metro area more than five decades ago. The young woman was a Grant High School student and had not been seen since 1968 or 1969.
View attachment 485418

In October 2023, the Kinship Inference Report was definitive in its conclusions. Genetic evidence confirmed the hypothesis that the young decedent was Sandra “Sandy” Young, born June 25, 1951, and unaccounted for since 1968 or 1969.

The final identification wasn't made until a genetic match, who appeared to be Young's sister, agreed to upload their DNA.

Detectives with the Portland Police Bureau contacted the woman and learned that not only did her sister Sandra Young disappear, but her other sister died of gun violence not too long after. Due to the circumstances in which Young's remains were found, PPB is doing further investigation into her death.

Sleep peacefully, Sandy
IMG_2203.jpeg

So happy Sandy has her name back. I wonder if à missing person's report was ever filed, and if so how much investigation was done, and if the record of the case still existed. Portland and where her body were found are less than 1.5 half apart.
I also wonder about the specifics of her sister's gun death. Could it have been related to hers?

up9006-png.287288
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Winnefred Jeanette Freeman, made visible in NAMUS today, reminds me of this woman.
Wow, there is a resemblance between Miss Freeman and Miss Young. So two young black women who resemble each other go missing from the same metropolitan area at around the same time. It does make me wonder if there was a serial killer with a specific type in that area at that time. It would be interesting to see how many other young black women disappeared from Portland say 1968 +/- 5 years or so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenefa82
Back