Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe there is a good reason to change SOL laws in rape cases. They already have exceptions that have to do with people being able to report rape that happened to them as a child. But as a rule there is no way they should change the laws for rape. What if someone from your brother, father, bf, husbands past wanted to show up and make trouble 20 years after they dated. And came out and accused them. Should they have to go through a trial and be charged??
I think that they will not find anything that will help a case.

Prosecuting sexual assault cases are difficult enough as it is and statistically very small percentage are even brought to trial. It is the Sandusky's and serial sexual assault perpetrators that changing SOL rules would be able to assist in those types of cases. Serial rapists are really dangerous individuals. I agree that it's better to let a guilty man go free, then to incarcerate an innocent person. However, there are heinous crimes that should not have SOL limitations and should go through court system and trial. Justice can't potentially be served in some cases if there is a time barrier. And imo serial rape is one of those crimes. But Jmo/

"Let's hope he committed crimes? "
Wow..

Wow to your misquote.
What you quoted is not what was actually written by Birdycat. This is the actual quote:

"Let's hope if he actually committed the crimes that he's accused of, and LE investigation turns out fruitful, that this goes to criminal court."

BBM, and I added a comma after fruitful so that it would be clearer to you.

"Let's hope he committed crimes? "
Wow..

But if it comes to court then we will see truth, not just personal stories. IT will help use see the truth of the matter and what really may have happened.
Like the vetting done in the fall that turned out to be lies and shut down a whole campus greek system?

People lie, Sadly they do. That can not be overlooked and assumed everyone is telling the truth.

I expect that if it came to court, ALL we would see is personal stories. Those of the victims, perhaps those of others corroborating their stories, although I think that would be considered hearsay and inadmissable but IANAL. That's why rape is so often a he said/she said crime.

Therefore by your own logic BC can never, ever be convicted.

I expect that if it came to court, ALL we would see is personal stories. Those of the victims, perhaps those of others corroborating their stories, although I think that would be considered hearsay and inadmissable but IANAL. That's why rape is so often a he said/she said crime.

Therefore by your own logic BC can never, ever be convicted.

There are exceptions to hearsay rule and it would depend on what corroborating witnesses were testifying to, obviously couldn't testify to 'truth of the matter asserted' statements that BC raped women if witness didn't personally witness rape, but you could potentially use something like present state of mind or then-existing condition to get testimony in for other reasons, (hypothetically, like the guy that immediately picked woman up who was allegedly drugged by BC might testify to statements re: her condition when he picked her up and that she was in fact at BC's home, but not for the purpose of asserting BC drugged her), but jmo. See http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/fre/rule_803

However most times when people are brought into court and charged there is other evidence against them. Physical evidence. Corroborating evidence. Putting him there are the scene.

IT is just not the same.

Do you have statistics to back that up? I don't believe it is true (not that you are lying, just misinformed) when it comes to rape cases.

BC did not meet most of these women in back alleys. If evidence that he was there is all you want, it should be easy to collect. Since so many of the alleged assault happened AT HIS HOUSE, I think it stands to reason BC was present during the time of the alleged attacks.

snip If evidence that he was there is all you want, it should be easy to collect. Since so many of the alleged assault happened AT HIS HOUSE, I think it stands to reason BC was present during the time of the alleged attacks.

I think it's much to late to gather some kinds of physical evidence from his house--ten or twenty years of laundry, time to throw away anything incriminating, repaint walls and polish bannisters, so fingerprints, hair on cushions, body fluids on sheets, etc. would have disappeared by now. None of that, though, would prove consent or lack of consent though it would prove the presence of someone. I guess that would be helpful if BC was claiming that person was never there and the evidence suggested she was there contradicting his story. However, I think it would be much harder now to find physical evidence that could prove that an alleged victim had been drugged by BC rather than bringing the drugs herself, or that the alleged victim drank too much of her own volition and had never been given drugs.

There might be witnesses to someone's arrival at/departure from the house--like a cook, chauffeur, housekeeper, security staff member (in fact, I would have thought that someone of his standing should have had around the clock bodyguards), someone in his entourage. There might be neighbours who would have heard or seen something unusual. There might be a journal kept by security as a reference so shift changes would be informed of how many people were in the house at any particular time, it's possible that those kinds of records might be kept by the chief of security when dealing with a celebrity. There might have been CCTV security, but it's not too likely, IMO, that such records would have been archived since they tend to be taped over.

There might be people who would testify that the alleged victims told them about the incidents. Certainly, police reports would have been archived. There is the testimony of Frank Scotti who still has the receipts from his role in keeping BC's presumed sexual partners quiet. He can back up that he gave people money on behalf of BC, but I don't think he can say all of them were mistresses.

...ex-NBC employee Frank Scotti alleges that he was appointed the position of “royal fixer.” In this role, he stood guard outside of Cosby’s dressing room when the latter invited young models over, arranged deals to buy apartments for supposed mistresses, and sent sums of up to $2,000 to various women under Cosbys…ahem…employ. The requests got so bad and so upsetting that Scotti ended up quitting his job at NBC. He said of his situation,“It bothered me. . . . You’ve got all of these kids, every time. I used to like him, but that’s the reason I quit him after so many years — because of the girls.”
http://www.crushable.com/2014/11/24...-paid-off-women-for-sex-favors/#ixzz3R7fsjKMU

IMO, it's possible that, if BC was guilty of the alleged crimes, he might have taken "trophies" or "souvenirs" that LE could tie to the alleged victims, or photographs of his unconscious alleged victims, or he could have made audio tapes of his attacks, and then kept these things in some kind of cache that he could revisit. I don't know how likely it would be that he would still have these around, although, if he does, I would bet that someone very familiar with his activities, like a bodyguard, might have a very good idea of where such a stash could be hidden.

Are these the kinds of things you were thinking of, Nova?

Things are not scuttled away due to SOL. There is a reason for it. It is to protect people. Innocent people. The whole point of our justice system is to protect the innocent and punish the guilty and to make sure that line is as clear as we can get it. It is not perfect.

The problem is people do lie. And if women don't want to report the crime then there is nothing that can be done on their behalf.
Men deserve to be treated fairly and justly too. If they are accused brought to trial and convicted then punish them, but there is no trial here. When there is I will weigh the evidence. But for now there is nothing there that would have me convicting anyone.

The statute of limitations protects the innocent and guilty defendants alike.

People who did it don't suddenly and magically become innocent after the statute of limitations has passed.

Bill Cosby: "I'm far from finished"
By Lauren Moraski CBS News
February 6, 2015, 3:37 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-cosby-im-far-from-finished/

God giving "gift" comments re: comedy while being accused of sexual assault/drug-facilitated rape = BC deflection and swaying public perception (sounds like scuttling to me). It seems like he "mastered" more than just comedy and imo he's not a comic genius. As they say, "what a tangled web one weaves when the intent is to deceive [and/or deflect]..." That quote seems appropriate here or "you can fool some people all of the time, or people some of the time, but not all people all of the time." Jmo/

That seems to be some kind of standard PR release because it's almost verbatim the same statement he made before his January Sandusky show
http://www.wkyc.com/story/entertain...sions-about-bill-cosby-cancellation/22262269/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saucebat