Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
From WAT:

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 38s 38 seconds ago

Nurmi during his opening statement at the #JodiArias trial today. Photo: AP

B0fiWzNCUAA4NLH.jpg:large

Um... that almost looks like -- dare I say it -- a wedding ring!

eta: actually like the tie, though

He never went to see her in Yreka! If she was "abused", why did she drive over 1,000 miles to see him??? It was over by then as far as Travis thought.

Didn't she feel it was her moral duty to keep visiting him for sex so that he would not act out his pedo urges? She didn't want to see her abuser, but she was willing to sacrifice her dignity and her body in order to save children.

i can't wait to see what juan bring to the table this time,because its the sentencing phase i assume he can bring up things that were not allowed in the guilty phase? im sure i read that somewhere but can't remember where.

i dont get why they are playing on the 'mentally ill' thing now,did they not go through the whole guilt phase denying that she was mentally ill?

they are basing their PTSD dx on something a discredited 'DR' said, a DR that is too ashamed to return to the stand? dont even start me on ALV. i think she did more damage than help.

id go with something along the lines of 'Ms arias and her counsel are claiming she was a victim of domestic violence,domestic violence that a jury of her peers discredited when they found her guilty of first degree premeditated felony murder'

for the life of me i dont know why,that after she was found guilty and that the murder was especially cruel that she just can't admit that she done it. juan wouldn't give her a deal but pretty sure it would bode better for her with a jury not to give her death? who knows.

i hope she goes on the stand again because she'll be digging her own grave,can't see it happening but i can hope

IIRC, TA and a friend stopped by JA house rather late and she was watching The Secret movie.

TA not only attended her baptism, he baptized her.

Argh, I got so annoyed every time Jodi talked about The Secret "movie" (more like a long infomercial, IMH - and dismissive - O). Who needs LDS scripture when you have The Secret and the Law of Attraction?

I'm all for optimism and positive thinking, but all things in moderation. If wishes were horses... Anyway, read some of the 1-star reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Extend...?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

We know very little about this jury. Last time around we had an entire thread dedicated to them. Is the indecisive young kid on this jury? We know a woman juror wears high heels but don't know what we really need to know. :dunno:

Michael K. Jeanes, Clerk of Court
*** Electronically Filed ***
10/22/2014 8:00 AM

10/16/2014

MINUTE ENTRY

Defendant’s request for sealed oral argument on the Motion to Compel and Motion to
Dismiss State’s Notice of Intent to Seek Death is granted.

Defense Motion to Preclude Witnesses is argued and denied as premature....

IT IS ORDERED setting Evidentiary Hearing on Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss for
State’s Further Misconduct on 10/20/14 at 1:30 p.m. in this division.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the Court will rule on Defendant’s four pending
motions in limini at the Evidentiary Hearing on 10/20/14....

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...4/m6539188.pdf
-------------

Case Documents

Filing Date Description Docket Date Filing Party

10/22/2014 005 - ME: Hearing - Party (001) 10/22/2014
10/21/2014 OBJ - Objection/Opposition. - Party (001) 10/21/2014
NOTE: OBJECTION TO MOTION IN LIMINE PRECLUDE DR HORN FROM TESTIFYING REGARDING INCAPACITATION OF MR ALEXANDER DUE TO LACK OF EXPERT KNOWLEDGE

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.g...=CR2008-031021

I wish they would mention that to cut someone that cleanly the person would need a very sharp knife. She had probably bought a new knife or sharpened one to prepare. That neck wound was so purposeful; no dull blade there.

Good point. I wonder if Travis had a knife sharpener. Some sets come with one, but if he wasn't a particularly serious cook, he probably didn't take particularly good care of his knives. He put them in the dishwasher, after all. Cut rope with them, if Jodi is to be believed. (Ha! On the subject of that rope though, since when would a rope have to be short enough to tie someone to a bed? Travis had been a Boy Scout. I'm guessing he'd know how to shorten a rope -- if for some reason he needed to -- with knots rather than a knife. GAAHHHHH! I hate Jodi!)

Jodi wouldn't have been able to count on Travis having a sharp knife. Did she sharpen a knife while he was asleep, either with his sharpener or one she brought with her, and then took with her when she left? If the police had found a sharpener there, they would have been able to tell if it had been recently used, unless it was the swish-swish-swish type and Jodi had wiped it down. Was there a slot for a sharpening steel in his knife block? Was it empty? She may have learned how to use that kind of sharpener during a waitressing career. Unlikely though.

She took a sharp knife with her.

Beth

4:33 Martinez defends his position. He stipulates the recording is authentic; he challenges that the Helio phone was actually “stolen” as Arias said. Martinez says he didn’t object to the admission of the recording which is different from a stipulation. But Nurmi says it was a stipulation. They are now at sidebar.

I didn't know she'd said it was stolen. I thought the story was she'd lost it and it turned up at a relative's house. Her aunt's maybe? Did her aunt (or whoever) steal the phone?

Did anyone else see the size of the knife JA had to have used on Travis, according to the wounds at autopsy? I believe it was on Nancy Grace. It is a virtual machete. I don't know that too many people would have a knife this size in their kitchens, and I doubt Travis had one to deal with intruders.

I'm trying hard to catch up. Who is Nathan Mendes, the prosecution witness for tomorrow morning? I think he's from California. Anyone know anything about him or what information he has?

Young former Siskiyou County detective who testified that there were no Margaritaville restaurants in California or Oregon.

I didn't know she'd said it was stolen. I thought the story was she'd lost it and it turned up at a relative's house. Her aunt's maybe? Did her aunt (or whoever) steal the phone?

She claims that it was stolen in May of 2008 (month of premeditation) but was mysteriously found years later in her grandfather's car. Yeah right! She hid it.

If this is the phone that she used to record the phone sex conversations then she hid it in the car, told Travis that she lost her phone AND that she did record their phone conversations. Blackmail. He must have been furious. It's amazing how the phone was conveniently found in the family's car when she needed it for her pathetic defense! In any case she hid the phone.

Ha not sure ADPi would appreciate the association with Jodi. I know I would cringe at any association with my sorority and Jodi.

Oops... didn't know there was one. Sorry!

I also grew up a dodger fan. Everyone in my family is a dodger fan so it's a requirement to be a fan. My family would often go to games and bring a radio so we could hear Vinny call the game. As a kid I would often fall asleep to the soft lull of his voice.

Lol.. I still have this problem with the Giants radio announcers. Especially Dave Flemming (who's cute and has a BA and MA in classics from Stanford, in addition to his journalism degree). I often have to listen to the ends of games online. I miss AT&T Park -- a beautiful place to be, even when there's no game. (Totally OT.)

Completely agree MeeBee. Personally, I think the Arias Camp, instigated by the lone and decidedly off-kilter inhabitant of Webber World, has spun a whole tale out of a tenuous thread, and rounded it off with the triumphant and self-congratulatory - but utterly baseless - claim that Flores has suffered the consequences. And given where all the noise is coming from, an extremely large pinch of salt is in order IMO.

What's more, Detective Flores is in fact very much alive and well, so to speak, in the Mesa PD, as one of the two Public Relations Officers making up the Mesa Police Media Relations Office. I have no idea how long he's been in this role, but think it would be fair to assume that only highly-respected and essentially spotless officers would be appointed to represent the Mesa PD.
http://www.mesaaz.gov/Police/media/default.aspx
(In ordinary life, he's Esteban "Steve" Flores, so he's shown here as Steve Flores)

The thanks button is not enough.

Why not add all the people who wanted to choke her but somehow managed to restrain themselves? Surely the cumulative effect of all those bad vibes should count as a mitigating factor.

You know, it's funny, all that choking out and all anyone ever managed to do was make her pass out.

She loves this one, the choking out claim. I just hope the jury grows weary of it.

We know very little about this jury. Last time around we had an entire thread dedicated to them. Is the indecisive young kid on this jury? We know a woman juror wears high heels but don't know what we really need to know. :dunno:

Indecisive young kid is not on the jury, nor is the man who sparred with Juan.

You know, it's funny, all that choking out and all anyone ever managed to do was make her pass out.

She loves this one, the choking out claim. I just hope the jury grows weary of it.

Did she claim that Travis did the same to her, during the attack or is to early and I am just in a fog?
Really, I should not be shocked at all about the things defense lawyers will lie about-not after I heard the opening that Baez spewed.

And didn't she also claim there was a similar incident when she was around 12 or so but did not know who did it? She tells so many stories I don't know if it is them I am vaguely remembering or if I am imagine them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname