Found Safe RI - Kimberly, 4, & Kelly Yates, 10 mos, Warwick, 26 Aug 1985

I did some sleuthing and I think I found the daughters and every social media link that would take me to a page ex fb LinkedIn etsy when you click it the page does not exist which leads me to believe that it's them and they were ordered to close/shut down all social media accounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just looking at this case last week. Being from there, it often came to mind, wondering where they could be. I know the courts tried to pressure their maternal grandmother into saying where they were since they were positive she helped her daughter go into hiding and provided $ support.
It's amazing and awesome that two abduction cases that are decades old were solved this week.

The mother has stated their dad was abusive--- was she just supposed to live with it ?
Not that she made the best decision, either. Maybe supervised visits ?
Wonder if mom lied. :(
No winners here.
:moo:

Supposedly the only fight they had that ended in some violence was the ring causing a scratch or bruise. I was in contact with the father years ago because I reached out to Him and to let him know about websleuths don't think he ever joined I know he was remarried and had another daughter but I think his second marriage ended in divorce as well

I was just looking at this case last week. Being from there, it often came to mind, wondering where they could be. I know the courts tried to pressure their maternal grandmother into saying where they were since they were positive she helped her daughter go into hiding and provided $ support.
It's amazing and awesome that two abduction cases that are decades old were solved this week.

Yeah this case was always on my mind as I spent my summers in Warwick at my grandparents cottage at the former rocky point beach when the amusement park closed everyone who had a cottage had to leave as well some stayed on for several l years later until the land was taken away

The mother has stated their dad was abusive--- was she just supposed to live with it ?
Not that she made the best decision, either. Maybe supervised visits ?
Wonder if mom lied. :(
No winners here.
:moo:

Wow. Just because she made the claim, it does not make it a fact.

RSBM

I added that the mother may not have been honest.
Feel bad for those kids, though.
Maybe some bridges can be repaired ?
MOO

Here's what I find strange, in 2010 Kimberly Yates legally changed her name (per court records).
So, she knew what was going on and could have contacted her dad at any time.

Maybe not, but the fact that she took her babies and ran for her life, kind of collaborates the claim for me.
Guess we cant really know, but I don't think many people just go,"I think I'll deprive my children of a Dad cause that's just how I roll.

I try and stay out of cases of "parental abduction" because the truth is hard to ferret out, unless it's an obviously unstable/ violent ect... parent that absconds with the child(ren).

https://www.google.com/amp/www.khou...the-elaine-yates-case/386833542?client=safari this link has more of a detailed timeline of the story of russel and Elaine they married in the 60s at the age of 18 and didnt have children till the 1980s maybe fertility issues Both were 39 with the oldest and around 42 with the youngest. In 2009 she obtained a court order to get her name changed but what I don't get is when she went through the courts no one was like um your Elaine Yates kidnapper

Also both daughters were married one divorced but all social media accounts were taken down maybe per law enforcement
I hope they would reach out to him if only to give him closure if they don't want a relationship

Kimberly was what? 4 when her mother abducted her and her sister? She no doubt has little or no memory of her father. Even if she at some point was aware of who she was and that she was legally considered abducted, all she would have to explain the reasoning behind it would be her abductor/mother.

For this reason I do not find it shocking if one or both knew at some point and continued to stay estranged from their father purposefully. They have only their mother's story of what happened and no version of the other side of the story to compare it to. I don't doubt they love their mother and their father was likely described to them in less than flattering terms when/if discussed at all.

It will be very interesting to find out what they were told by their mother, should they choose to tell the public.

so they weren't some young couple that had to get married. they were together for a long, long time by the time they had children. maybe that is when things changed? kids take up all your time and attention, maybe they couldn't adjust. idk the whole story is very sad.

In the DM article (which won't link for me) he admitted he was a "terrible" husband. Whatever that involves (he admitted to cheating and not just the time she caught him with the OW that led to him hitting her).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-2-children-taken-1985-found-parent-arrested-163035775.html

SCITUATE, R.I. (AP) — Two sisters who disappeared from Rhode Island with their mother in 1985 have been located in the Houston area, and their mother was charged with snatching them, police announced Tuesday.

An anonymous tip two days before Christmas led police to Kimberly and Kelly Yates and their mother, Elaine Yates, state police Lt. Col. Joseph Philbin said.

Elaine Yates, who had been living in Houston under the name Liana Lynn Waldberg, was arrested Monday and faces arraignment Wednesday in Rhode Island.

These cases are such a struggle for me, personally. My children's bio father wasn't - necessarily - abusive, but I do believe he hurt both of my babies. Once I left, I would have run to the ends of the earth to keep them from being at his mercy. Our divorce wasn't really contentious but he never made any attempt to see his children afterwards.

I know it's not right to intentionally take children away from a bio parent just to be vindictive, but if a parent believes children may be in danger with that parent but can't prove it.....all bets are off. IMHO.

I believe she was fearful of him and took the girls and left and had every right to do so. She caught him cheating and then hit her. He admits to not being a good husband, what was she to do. Evidentally she didn't want to go to a woman's shelter.
Also there was NO law in RI for parental kidnapping at that time. That came about in 1988 when she was going to be served. In this case I don't believe it was parental kidnapping, I think it was parental protection.
Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. MHO, my mother had to do something similiar and when I was younger I didn't understand, now at 62 I do understand, she was left with no choice, mental and physical abuse stays with you forever and some mothers do everything they can to protect their children as mine did.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back