Found Safe RI - Kimberly, 4, & Kelly Yates, 10 mos, Warwick, 26 Aug 1985

I remember this and it is amazing after all these years that it has come to light.
What I would like to know is who was the tipster??? A family member, someone they confided in? 31 years is a long time but obviously whoever called in the tip was feeling that they had to after so many years.

This doesn't have much to do with the case but I live in Houston and just saw that her townhome is around the corner from where I work in the Galleria area of Houston. Crazy reading about cases and then they land so close to home.

This doesn't have much to do with the case but I live in Houston and just saw that her townhome is around the corner from where I work in the Galleria area of Houston. Crazy reading about cases and then they land so close to home.

Doesn't it make you wonder how often you could have passed her on the street or road and never knew?

sometimes, I think the court has their hands tied. years ago, right after my husband and his ex divorced, she concealed on of their kids against court order out of county at her relative's house. my husband, his father knew that was probably where the child was and went and picked him up. the mother called the local police and reported he was a parolee at large and armed and dangerous. he was pulled over at gunpoint where he calmly handed the officer his court order and he was allowed on his way with his kid. some fathers are terrible, but some mothers are some petty, vindictive a-holes as well. how is a stranger to know who is lying and who is telling the truth?

I do hope though they don't make an example of this woman. at the time of offense there was no law for this. how many times have we seen guys be arrested on cold case murders they did as juveniles? and they are charged with the laws at the time. the man doesn't even think prosecuting her harshly will help anyone.

Such a heartbreaking story. I'm glad the girls are safe. What a horrible thing for their mother to do. They were deprived of their father and families for their entire lives.

It says on the Charley Project that the father only hit the mother after she was kicking and hitting him. Plenty of women are horrifically abusive to their partners, children, and families. Its extremely sexist to assume the father was an abusive man just because he admits he was a bad husband and they had one fight that got out of hand. Could he have been abusive? Of course, anything is possible. But the mother could have been the abusive one! Or even no one was abusive and an out-of-hand fight was a convenient excuse for her to kidnap the kids and run. Her kidnapping the children and hiding them for 30 years does not mean he is or was ever abusive, to the girls or to his wife. An unsubstantiated claim of abuse is not proof or in any way an excuse for kidnapping children.

Women are not always victims when it comes to abuse! This is a fact.

Such a heartbreaking story. I'm glad the girls are safe. What a horrible thing for their mother to do. They were deprived of their father and families for their entire lives.

It says on the Charley Project that the father only hit the mother after she was kicking and hitting him. Plenty of women are horrifically abusive to their partners, children, and families. Its extremely sexist to assume the father was an abusive man just because he admits he was a bad husband and they had one fight that got out of hand. Could he have been abusive? Of course, anything is possible. But the mother could have been the abusive one! Or even no one was abusive and an out-of-hand fight was a convenient excuse for her to kidnap the kids and run. Her kidnapping the children and hiding them for 30 years does not mean he is or was ever abusive, to the girls or to his wife. An unsubstantiated claim of abuse is not proof or in any way an excuse for kidnapping children.

At the time she took her babies there wasnt a parental kidnapping law there, so she did not kidnap them. The reason she hit him and kicked him from his mouth was because she had caught him cheating and he admitted it wasnt the first time. Who wants to stay with someone to possibly get a disease. Remember he owned a bar and was most likely cheating with bar flies. Been there done that, my ex just couldnt keep it zipped and one woman ended up getting herpes. When someone cheats, usually it's over. I dont blame her one bit for leaving and protecting her girls. and yes women can be abusive too, but, her hitting him and kicking him, because he had cheated, well, he deserved what he got in the end.

At the time she took her babies there wasnt a parental kidnapping law there, so she did not kidnap them. The reason she hit him and kicked him from his mouth was because she had caught him cheating and he admitted it wasnt the first time. Who wants to stay with someone to possibly get a disease. Remember he owned a bar and was most likely cheating with bar flies. Been there done that, my ex just couldnt keep it zipped and one woman ended up getting herpes. When someone cheats, usually it's over. I dont blame her one bit for leaving and protecting her girls. and yes women can be abusive too, but, her hitting him and kicking him, because he had cheated, well, he deserved what he got in the end.

Who knows what would have happened had she stayed, he went to court for sole custody.

I'm a DV victim. My ex had visitations, just about every visit he talked bad about me, would tell her he never hit me or kicked my son. I had him to court so many times; talking about me, bringing her to all sorts of beer parties and putting her in dangers way at his GF's. Thankfully she stopped going every other weekend because it was toxic.

Have to say I'm glad her ex is being decent by asking charges get dropped

Russell Yates told the Herald this week he doesn’t want his ex-wife prosecuted and he fears charges after so many years would only distance himself from his daughters.

She pleaded not guilty to one count of child abduction before a court order and faces two years in jail if convicted.

The next court dates were set for Feb. 1 and Feb. 15, but she does not need to attend.

He didn't have to go to the emergency room - she did. This man admitted to being abusive, so not sure why you would consider it unsubstantiated.

The daughters and the mother are safe.

What if the mother was fearful of her husband and didn't leave with the children?

We have read tragic news of women who stayed with the children and lost their lives. Also, the time when the mother decides to leave with her children is the most dangerous time for her.

If in fact it is proven that he was abusive and she was fearful as some reports state, then she saved their lives.

JMO

This case gives me mixed feelings. The daughters are old enough to have contacted their father if that's what they wanted to do. At least he's trying not to press charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to this article, Mr. Yates was awarded custody of the daughters 3 months after they disappeared. I am trying to discover when the documents were filed before he was awarded custody.

I find it very interesting that she left with the children after the "violent fight" with her husband. He did not deny hitting her and she did end up in the hospital.

I hope that the truth will come out.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20170117/from-archives-chronology-of-disappearance-of-kimberly-and-kelly-yates

Liana Waldberg you are a strong woman. I wish more women were like you to take the necessary measures you took to protect your children and yourself . Best wishes for a peaceful life for you and your girls !!

The anonymous tip came in two day before Christmas... that's when I was researching this case and blasting information everywhere... Here's hoping Websleuths helped them close this case!

Liana Waldberg you are a strong woman. I wish more women were like you to take the necessary measures you took to protect your children and yourself . Best wishes for a peaceful life for you and your girls !!
Strong and beautiful message.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA