SC SC - Sherry Jones, 24, Greer, 1 Sept 1972

Hey ObsererEagle, you are a better sleuther than me, I have been looking in "NewpaperArchives" and can't even find that article.
I can only find A. Edward Smith accident ( he was a attorney/ politician) dod June 5 1962 and his wife injured with skull fracture. Can you reference your find so I can try to search more.
I did see the gravestones though TIA

I'm so sorry I haven't responded! I just started a new job this week! I found it in th star news Pasadena California July 6 1962.. Article Blame Brush Fire for Crash Deaths. I kept running into the Edward Smith politician too when searching.. I believe out of Georgia? Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm still trying to help buttons. I'm working with her to get some concise info outline together to hopefully reach out and post on some different forums to see if it can help.

I Am almost certain that's not her, I think new evidence has come to light that that lady was from Canada!! My mom I believe was born in Puerto Rico to an American mom and a Puerto Rican dad ...

Buttons, don't get too hung up on the theory that the Sumter County Jane Doe was necessarily Canadian. One of the theories about this couple is that the male of the pair may have been Canadian (a person who said he'd spoken to the John Doe said later that John Doe gave a name which sounded like Jock or Jacques and claimed his father was a doctor in Canada) but this is far from proven. There are a number of people here on Websleuths who think the couple may have been from Argentina, refugees from the Dirty War of the 1970s, as their skin tones were olive and they had something of a hispanic or Mediterranean look about them. A Puerto Rican background could presumably produce the same hispanic sort of look.

Edward does not have a middle name per his death certificate. He was born 3/1/1906 in Russia.

With a name like Edward Smith in Russia, it certainly sounds as though his parents were ex-pats there before the Revolution. It's almost certain that his parents would have been British or American, his father being out there in a technical or managerial capacity. Lots were, only leaving at the Revolution.

It's possible that while in Russia he had a patronymic in the Russian fashion, eg Edward Ivanovich (son of John) Smith, but that the patronymic was never used once he left Russia.

Hi! And thank you for your interest in my mom, if I am not mistaken the couple in Sumter county appeared to come from a somewhat well of background due to something's that were found at the scene. Sherry had a very difficult life from very early on from what we know,at the time she disappeared I know she had very little but I have checked into this case and honestly do not believe its her! I am currently having my DNA analyzed at the University of North Texas to be entered into NAmus so with luck if she is out there we can get a match!! I have now focused my attention (with the help of a wonderful sleuth and friend) on trying to learn about sherry's early life before 1970 in hopes to learn where I come from and maybe any relatives or simply just a picture of her whom I've never seen!! Any ideas or help that you can offer to me or ObserverEagle who has been a true blessing in this search would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

I'm so sorry I haven't responded! I just started a new job this week! I found it in th star news Pasadena California July 6 1962.. Article Blame Brush Fire for Crash Deaths. I kept running into the Edward Smith politician too when searching.. I believe out of Georgia? Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm still trying to help buttons. I'm working with her to get some concise info outline together to hopefully reach out and post on some different forums to see if it can help.

I mean June 7, 1962. I shouldn't have responded from my phone with such blurry pics!

Bump for Sherry and Buttons. I so wish I could help find answers for Sherry and her daughter. They deserve them.

Buttons, a high profile case here "Lori Ruff" was just solved with DNA. Have you submitted your DNA to Ancestry? It could help you find cousins or even closer matches :thinking:

Yes, I've entered DNA into the NAMUS system but both ancestry sight, although I've used the sight to search for my mom but without much success on my own but some wonderful people on here have found somethings that may help put some of the pieces of her early life together still checking into some of them! Thanks

Bump for Sherry and Buttons! I so wish there was some way to find Sherry's info about her life at least for Buttons.

I don't really have much to offer but read about Sherry since I'm local.

Buttons I certainly wish you the best of luck in finding your mom. How old were you when she went missing? Any of the local papers willing to help? Greenville News, Spartanburg Herald Journal or the Greer paper?

She went missing july16th 1972 I turned 2 in September of that year! I did talk to the Greer citizen 3or4 years ago, they listened and was interested until they ask the police for their view and nothing ever became of it, they (paper) was promised an exclusive if they did not run the story until they (police) looked into some leads, the exclusive never happened. I believed the paper was shut down by the police because the police wanted me to finance the investigation( I did not in accordance with advice from our lawyer) the police were forced to excavate a well that we believed her to have been dumped in( we had a credible witness from the family my mom was involved with stating she was "placed in the well") 4 cadaver dogs all hit on the well, the police wanted me to pay for this I refused and went to the paper with the story,the paper contacted the police at this point and from then on the paper doesn't want to touch the story! We did not find her remains but it's likely she could be there it's been 44 years and the water table is quite large!! I now mostly am trying to find my real father and piece together her life before coming to Greer, I have a lot of the pieces but are still missing a few that would complete the picture!! When she disappeared she left behind get ss card one would think this would make things easier, not so much!! If I could just find a picture of her I would be at peace, I want to see her face before my time on this earth Is done!! I have to say this, Go Tigers!! #ALLIN thank you for your interest!!

The Doe Network

No_Image_Available_female.jpg

If you have found a photo of this person please contact appropriate member of the Area Team

Sherry Ann Jones

Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: September 01, 1972
Location Last Seen: Greer, Greenville County, South Carolina

Physical Description

** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.
Date of Birth: N/A
Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 yrs old
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'2.5"
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 115 lbs
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): N/A
Distinguishing Marks/Features: None
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not AvailableClothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance

Ms. Jones has been missing since September 01, 1972
Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;
Agency Name: Greer Police Department
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 864-848-2151
Agency Case Number: N/A
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: MP #17106Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Information Source(s)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3296dfsc.html
NamUs

I ran across sherry jones as a missing person in greer tonight and i managed to find this thread. I live in greer and recall a search in a property back in 2008 but it was said to be connected to a missing woman from Georgia named Lisa.

Does anyone know where it was (road name) that police dug after dogs "hit" on an area?

I've read all the posts and found that George Wilton's brother, Roy has passed on as well, and his address at his time of death is literally 3 min from me.

I believe it was Bennett St, but in 2010. I’ll have to look back and see if there was another, less intensive search before. Sherry and George married in GA. I wonder what the Lisa reference could be to.. it’s been so long since I’ve read so many of the details.

Edward and Ann (maiden name Ayeroff) Smith died in a car crash in Tracy, California on June 6, 1962. The couple lived in Los Angeles at the time of their death. Their grave stones note beloved father/mother, but I have been unable to determine their child(ren)'s names.

Edward does not have a middle name per his death certificate. He was born 3/1/1906 in Russia. Ann Ayeroff was born 6/19/1908 in New York. They were married some time between 1933 - 1939, as they are listed as married in the 1940 census as married with no children.

Can someone else take a look and see if they can find children's names? I've looked everywhere I can think of. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Hi ObserverEagle, looking around Ancestry today and noticed something, could be off base, maybe someone else can check. If the Ann Smith is the child of Nathan and Rachael Ayeroff, she is married to a Edward Epstein in the 1930 census as Anna Epstein (living with the Ayeroffs). Two year age difference between them and the obvious first name would seem to suggest it could be the same Edward and they for some reason changed their surname. Edward is a teacher, (music) on a earlier census. Wonder what Edward Smith profession was? Anna is listed as student at 21yo so could fit in with a college degree and 1940 census as a bacteriologist...
I was originally looking for her side of the family and there is a Ayeroff family tree however it’s private.

I believe it was Bennett St, but in 2010. I’ll have to look back and see if there was another, less intensive search before. Sherry and George married in GA. I wonder what the Lisa reference could be to.. it’s been so long since I’ve read so many of the details.

I don't think there is a connection to the case with Lisa out of GA. I just remembered there being a search and digging on the property on Becky Gibson Road and looked it back up. I believe 4 dogs hit on an area of the property so they dug, but noting was found. The owners of the property during the dig were very cooperative and they are not the same owners from when Lisa's disappearance took place. I can send you screen shots of that story if you want to send me your email.

I tried to private message you last night but it didn’t go through. Will you see if you can pm me?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esig
Back