The most notorious unsolved crime in your area

I'm not sure if we should be counting continents as states, but Australia has two huge mystery cases: The Beaumont children, and the 'Tamam Shud' man. Oh, and the 'Family Murders,' too.

Groundless speculations shoved into a press release. Somebody has a book to sell.

I agree that nothing has been proven yet. At least, none of the press I've seen about this convinces me, not yet. I suspect you're right about a book being in the works. It sounds good on the face of it, but there are, as you say, a lot of unproven assertions out there for most of the big unsolved cases in the public eye. "My father was Zodiac! And he got the Black Dahlia, too! And he was in Dealey Plaza that day in Dallas, with a rifle! And I'm pretty sure he was Bible John, and he was probably Jack the Ripper, too!"

A press release can make something sound definitive, you're right. It takes more than a book to convince most of us. Remember Mr Graysmith nailed his subject (name omitted) as Zodiac, to be proven wrong by later evidence. But his book's ID'd suspect (IMOO) certainly *sounded* convincing despite being wrong.

So they say.

If that is actually confirmed, what would then become California's most notorious unsolved case?

Maybe Natalie Wood?

The Black Dahlia?

How about the Santa Rosa hitchhiker murders?

The Keddie Cabin Murders?

Bob Crane?

I'm sure there are many more that should be considered. Anyone have an opinion?
I would definitely like to see Jon benet’s solved and also the boca mall murders.

I just came across this thread today and just saw that Utahs February 9 killer was arrested earlier this week.

Man Dubbed 'February 9th Killer' Extradited For Women Murdered Two Years Apart | Oxygen Official Site

Juan Arreola-Murrillo, 41, was charged with aggravated murder, aggravated robbery and aggravated burglary, according to CBS affiliate KUTV. Recently unsealed documents identified Arreola-Murrillo as the murder suspect dubbed the “February 9th Killer.”

Sonia Mejia, 29, and Damiana Castillo, 57, were murdered at their Salt Lake County homes in February 2006 and February 2008, respectively.

Poor lil Amber Hagerman in Arlington, Texas. Will haunt me forever. Always felt they could hav done more. I grew up in that neighborhood she was taken from. Lived here 56yrs. I see her wall almost everyday. On January 13, 1996, the nine year old was riding her bicycle to an abandoned grocery store in Arlington with her five year old brother, but he went home while she stayed behind for a while. A neighbor, Jim Kevil, saw Amber riding her bike alone from his backyard. He witnessed someone in a pickup truck pull up and snatch her. When she screamed, he immediately called police, and they launched a massive search to find her along with volunteers and the FBI. They felt certain that the abductor knew the area well since the abandoned lot was popular for young kids to play at. Four days later, a man walking his dog found Amber's body at the bottom of a creek bed in Arlington. An autopsy confirmed she had been held alive for two days, and during that time she had been sexually assaulted. The police have responded to thousands of leads during their investigations, but none of them led to the murderer. The killer still runs free today, but police say they will never give up on her case.
I think it was the efforts of her mom that gave us the Amber Alert. I think of Amber and her family every so often. We lived in Arlington at the time. It was shocking as a community but heartbreaking to see her suffering family. To this day one of my neighbors has a justice for Amber flag they replace every year or so because it fades in the Texas sun. People here still want to see this case solved.

IMO the most haunting part of unsolved cases (which there are to many to mention) is that they are still unsolved. The sadness for the victim, the families, the community, and law enforcement makes each of these cases connected in a horrible club no one wants to be a member of... but sometimes have no choice.

Missouri, Hillsboro: Amanda Jones and her unborn son missing.

The only publicly known suspect in her disappearance recently died possibly leaving many questions unanswered. Rumors are that police were getting close to an arrest but his death put a stop to those proceedings. Since then the story has went silent, but Amanda and her son have yet to be found.

AMANDA KAY JONES | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Disappearance of Robert Hoaglund

50 year old Robert Hoagland went missing in July 2013 from Newtown, CT where he lived with his wife and one of their three adult sons, Max. The latter had been struggling with drug addiction, and the Hoaglands were by all accounts dedicated to helping with his recovery. Robert was a trained chef, but was working as a real estate appraiser and in a friend's law office at the time of his disappearance; in part to be more available for his son.

Robert was recorded by security cameras at a gas station in town the morning of his disappearance. He bought gas for his wife's car and a map, then returned home to eat breakfast and hang out at home with Max.

His wife Lori, a teacher, would be returning from a trip to Turkey the next day, and she and Mr. Hoagland had made plans for him to pick her up at the airport. He never arrived. After staying overnight with a family member near the airport, Mrs. Hoagland arrived home the next day to find her vehicle, her husband and her son all missing. The car and Max soon turned up: he'd taken it to buy drugs and had been arrested for trespassing in the process. However, even though he would have been the last person to see his father, Max had no idea where he was ... and no one has been able to figure it out since then, either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back