TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, 18 Apr 2016 #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve followed Missy Bever’s case on and off here and in the news. But with over a year now and 42 threads, I’m sure I’ve forgotten some things. I’m also trying to go over this and see what I come up with.
Questions that are still with me:
How well known was it that the outside cameras did not work? That is, were church members notified (e.g., church business announce during church services, announcement in church bulletin/news letter) that the cameras were not working and for the members to ensure their vehicles were locked and no valuables inside? Or, either because it was believed to not be important or they didn’t want it publicly known to potential thieves, it was not publicly stated? (I can’t find or remember any details on this aspect.)
Even though there are inside surveillance cameras there is no alarm system. How well known was this fact?
If this is a planned murder, why wander around the church especially if the presence of surveillance cameras is known? (That would seem to be a reason for the disguise.) Why not remain some place in hiding until your intended victim enters the church?
A hammer as a murder weapon? If one is going to murder someone inside a building (muffling gunshots and screams), early in morning when most folks are still in bed, in a building that is fairly isolated from residences and with rainy weather (further muffling gun shots and/or screams) why not use a small caliber gun like a .22, .32 or the like?
How well known was it that Missy was going to move the Camp Gladiator indoors at the church? (I believe this was a Facebook post if I remember correctly.)

I can understand a church having indoor surveillance cameras. I don’t know how many have outdoor cameras monitoring the parking lots. BUT if the church went to the expense of having them installed using funds that might have been used elsewhere they must have felt a strong need for them. If that is the case I’m wondering about the fact the outside cameras were not functioning was this known outside the minister and his staff. If this killer went to the effort to disguise their appearance from indoor cameras that would be for naught if their car is caught on video in the parking lot. Or was it just dumb luck that they picked a time when the outside cameras didn’t work? As far as the inside cameras go, this person would seem to have been in the church before to know of their existence. A member or someone who had been there on a few occasions?

Inside and outside surveillance cameras, but no alarm system. If I’m planning something like this and do some reconnaissance on the church and see inside cameras, I’m going to look for alarm panels near the entrances. Having a disguise isn’t going to do me any good if LE is going to be there in 5-10 minutes. This person wandered around for at least twice that long and didn’t seem to be in any hurry. Again, to me, that would seem to be someone who had been there. Or they weren’t very smart and this was an additional bit of dumb luck.

Wandering around the church and every now and then smacking something with a hammer? Even with a disguise the more you expose yourself the more clues you provide. Why leave damage that Missy might see and immediately leave the church to call 911? Even if you’ve done surveillance on her, you don’t know but what she might use a different entrance this time and see signs of damage before you get to her. You want to catch her by surprise. UNLESS, it is all part of the ruse to tell Missy to stand fast and that you are there to investigate a break in? (I have to come back to this later.) I’d almost say the person is there primarily to vandalize the church except in the video they don’t seem to be putting much effort into it. Were they there just to be seen on camera and trying to make a statement or have 15 minutes of anonymous fame? If the church reports a break-in, how ironic is it if LE sees the vandal dressed like a SWAT officer on the video – some twisted sense of humor? (Had there not been a murder, I could actually see the humor in doing something like that, but then I have been accused of having a sick sense of humor!) If the break-in was the primary reason, Missy may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Of course, if this was a planned murder that wandering around may have been nervous energy.

The murder weapon is likely a hammer or other blunt instrument. That would almost tie into the scenario that this was primarily a break-in and our SWAT person tried to stop Missy with whatever they had in their hand. If you’re trying to convince Missy you’re SWAT and when you are approaching she doesn’t see a gun on a SWAT officer isn’t that likely to cause her to be suspicious. There is speculation that our killer may have a problem walking. Whether that is true or not why risk having to run Missy down to kill her with a hammer? A handgun up to .32 caliber would not likely to cause any alarm given the time, location and weather. I might even be able to risk a .38 or 9mm in this case, so why a hammer? If you’ve ever been to a gun range the building muffles the sound fairly well. Even without soundproofing in this case, the distance from residences, weather and the fact that most of nearest residents are inside their home with their HVAC systems running is all going to muffle the sound of a gunshot.

Missy changed the venue for the CG to inside the church. Unless, someone is surveilling Missy, would they even know CG takes place? If the church minister allows Missy to use the church but really doesn’t consider it a church sponsored event would it be on the church bulletin or in announcements at a service? That is, what are the chances the killer checked the church sponsored events, missed the CG and Missy’s appearance was an unforeseen event?

At the very beginning I thought this was a premeditated murder. I haven’t ruled that out, but now I’m not as sure as I was in the beginning. But in any event, I’ve rambled on far too long already.

We watched a calm, cool, individual whose sole focus and intention was to murder Missy and escape without any notice.

We know there were flings, a few of them. Some rock both ways. That is where the danger was for MB.

I do think SP attempted to stop MB from going to Austin that weekend. She needed to: stop all of the CG stuff, quit sexing and sinning, before she died. MB went to CG in Austin anyway. And she died as a result.

ID had a show of a married lady who meticulously planned a once in a lifetime bucket list cruise so she would have a perfect alibi when her husband met his unfortunate demise. $4mm in insurance. People really do try successfully to give themselves the perfect alibi, when plotting a felony murder.

ALIBIS are crucial in a murder investigation. Isn't the husband always the first one suspected when his wife is murdered? Perhaps someone did it for him, without him knowing, until it was a done deed.

Whatever happened to her family, the Strickland's, speaking to a reporter soon? Is that interview still on the table? BB was quick to inform us to watch for it.

Bless the beast and the children :rose:
About the Strickland interview: perhaps BB was hoping they would show him support during the interview and....in the meantime they may have had a change of heart.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Just my opinion but I think the killer knew all too well what cameras worked and which was did not. He had help and if he was planning on moving anyway, what better time to do the crime sell everything, loose 100 pounds so no one would reconize him if questioned and split for a 2000 mile away hideout. Im just saying lol

We watched a calm, cool, individual whose sole focus and intention was to murder Missy and escape without any notice.

We know there were flings, a few of them. Some rock both ways. That is where the danger was for MB.

I do think SP attempted to stop MB from going to Austin that weekend. She needed to: stop all of the CG stuff, quit sexing and sinning, before she died. MB went to CG in Austin anyway. And she died as a result.

ID had a show of a married lady who meticulously planned a once in a lifetime bucket list cruise so she would have a perfect alibi when her husband met his unfortunate demise. $4mm in insurance. People really do try successfully to give themselves the perfect alibi, when plotting a felony murder.

ALIBIS are crucial in a murder investigation. Isn't the husband always the first one suspected when his wife is murdered? Perhaps someone did it for him, without him knowing, until it was a done deed.

Whatever happened to her family, the Strickland's, speaking to a reporter soon? Is that interview still on the table? BB was quick to inform us to watch for it.

Bless the beast and the children :rose:

Bingo Smingo lol

Just my opinion but I think the killer knew all too well what cameras worked and which was did not. He had help and if he was planning on moving anyway, what better time to do the crime sell everything, loose 100 pounds so no one would reconize him if questioned and split for a 2000 mile away hideout. Im just saying lol

Who helped him?

Who helped him?

just a guess but perhaps someone who worked at the church, that would make the most sense to me.

Btw, what ever happened about the car across the street on video at 2 a.m. ? Cops are not asking for help anymore, did they rule it out?

Just another of my worthless opinions, unless and until someone talks like the helper ( hope this helper does not get bumped off ) this is going to be an icy cold case. I am praying everyday she spills the beans...

just a guess but perhaps someone who worked at the church, that would make the most sense to me.

Btw, what ever happened about the car across the street on video at 2 a.m. ? Cops are not asking for help anymore, did they rule it out?

Just to be sure I understand your opinion the helper might have worked at the church where MB was killed? Why do you think the worker might have helped? The car was never ruled out by LE iirc. The last statement said that person had never come forward. iirc. All MOO

Just to be sure I understand your opinion the helper might have worked at the church where MB was killed? Why do you think the worker might have helped? The car was never ruled out by LE iirc. The last statement said that person had never come forward. iirc. All MOO

well how else would one gather info about the church unless it was someone who worked there? Would the killer feel safe enough to stroll around for a half an hour w/o having some good knowledge of the inter workings of that church and their security? IMO not w/o help most likely from someone who worked there.

well how else would one gather info about the church unless it was someone who worked there? Would the killer feel safe enough to stroll around for a half an hour w/o having some good knowledge of the inter workings of that church and their security? IMO not w/o help most likely from someone who worked there.

That certainly would be one way. Perhaps they helped perp by the outside cameras not working but then why not the inside cameras too? Hmmm

My church hosts multiple groups, from quilters to AA & NA & well I haven't looked at the calendar lately.

Someone could attend a group, and innocently look around during a smoke break?

Most churches have a smaller group to oversee the building, often called trustees. Someone might overshare with an acquaintance?

Upthread someone suggested a bad apple in the camera system installation/maintenance field, too.

My church hosts multiple groups, from quilters to AA & NA & well I haven't looked at the calendar lately.

Someone could attend a group, and innocently look around during a smoke break?

Most churches have a smaller group to oversee the building, often called trustees. Someone might overshare with an acquaintance?

Upthread someone suggested a bad apple in the camera system installation/maintenance field, too.

I remember way back discussion about a blood drive that was held at the COC prior to the murder.

JMO, but if this was targeted as I believe it was..they made sure all their bases were covered. I think the swat uniform was to protect themselves from cameras, but also from any DNA that could've been left behind. I don't know personally, but can imagine she would've put up one heck of a fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9/12/17
No new nothing! Maybe NG/Crimeonline misspoke about an upcoming interview by MB family? Only thing said was local editor, maybe they did and whatever local it was didn't think there was anything of interest? Wish there was something new but nothing from any media or MPD.

There's no way a local newspaper editor would think an interview with the Stricklands wouldn't be interesting, no matter what they did or didn't say. They'd have to give one-syllable answers for the interview to be unusable. I didn't like the way BB mentioned that interview in his statement to crimeonline and wonder if his comments influenced the Stricklands to change their minds.

Why aren't the police regularly asking the public for help? They must be missing a piece of information or evidence; who knows what small bit of information or material someone might have or know about that could lead to an arrest? They seem to have shut down public communication on this case, or is that only a perception?

Why aren't the police regularly asking the public for help? They must be missing a piece of information or evidence; who knows what small bit of information or material someone might have or know about that could lead to an arrest? They seem to have shut down public communication on this case, or is that only a perception?

Yeah, I definitely agree! I just hope that they know who done this and they're just waiting for something to tie it together for an arrest. Wishful thinking, hey.

Thank you for reopening the thread. So much silence on this case in recent months.

I found the interview kind of odd. I realize that BB (assuming he's innocent) is in a horrible position, and he's not a media pro, but this is at least the second time he's said he wasn't going to talk to reporters and then proceeded to do so. Did he not realize that his email/conversation would be published?

Was it his business to disclose that the Stricklands are planning to break their silence and talk to a newspaper editor? He expressed support for the Stricklands' decision to give an interview, but could it be he doesn't really want them to share their feelings and opinions?

If one of their daughters really said she'd rather not have the case solved rather than have people on social media accuse him, should he have said so? Isn't that a private conversation? Is it possible he's sending a message about his daughters' loyalty to anyone who might consider him a suspect?

Perhaps the primary answers are "no," it's an innocent interview from a media neophyte. I'm not entirely sure.

Very good points.

On the one year anniversary 4/18/17
LE says they need the tip from someone to ID the killer. Iirc they've made similar statements before about someone knows and they need to come forward.

"While police have received thousands of tips from the public the one needed to identify the killer still hasn’t come in. Investigators are holding out hope that a vital witness or anyone with information will still come forward." dfw cbs local

They shut down communication on this case in May of 2016. They have routinely complained about the "internet detectives" and have told the public that they would reach out to us when they needed us. Still nothing. The lack of media coverage and interest is a bit odd to say the least. I have felt for several months that LE has asked for everyone to stay away, stop asking questions, and to refrain from printing stories. Why?

I am not sure how many of your follow MPD's Facebook page, but they have stopped answering questions about Missy's case. I would be shocked if her case isn't cold.

I am so frustrated that no one is seeking justice on Missy's behalf. Silence won't solve her case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike