U.K - Third Royal Baby on the way - Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge

The older brother of Henry VIII was Arthur, Prince of Wales. Arthur was married to Catherine of Aragon but died within a few months and Catherine went on to marry Henry. Catherine claimed her marriage to Arthur was unconsummated, which is why her subsequent marriage to his brother was allowed since ordinarily a widow was not permitted to marry her late husband's brother.

There is a more recent precedent - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught - 7th child and 3rd son of Queen Victoria.

I guess that increases its likelihood but I do wonder if William and Catherine will choose a new Prince Phillip. The Duke of Edinburgh probably hasn't more than a few years left and it would be a way of carrying the name forward.

AFAIK none of those names have a precedent in the royal family and they do tend to follow precedent unless there's a very good reason to step outside it, eg if Kate's father or brother had one of the names.

Yes thats why I said it would be nice for them to go off piste.

The delay and William's remark "I'm working on that" makes me think he and Kate have different choices which often happens, or sometimes I think you need time to get to know the baby to see which name kind of fits them best, which is fair enough. I could see Kate maybe not being so keen on Albert. I think, as others have said Philip will be in there somewhere and possibly Michael for Kate's father. But I think it will have to be a royal first name as the other two children have long-standing royal names.

Alexander is one of George's middle names so I wouldn't have thought that will enter into it. Would be nice perhaps if they chose a more unusual name as the other two are so very traditional. I was talking to a taxi driver yesterday and he was saying that last year there were no Nigels registered at all in the UK last year. Not that I'm suggesting Prince Nigel!

I suspect John is very unlikely as it is regarded as unlucky in royal terms. Not just because of King John, but because the last Prince John was the youngest son of George V who had epilepsy and died in his early teens.

I don't think they are put off by unlucky names. Princess Charlotte of Wales died in childbirth at age 21 and her son was stillborn. I'd say that's pretty unlucky.

I don't think they are put off by unlucky names. Princess Charlotte of Wales died in childbirth at age 21 and her son was stillborn. I'd say that's pretty unlucky.

I'm baffled as to how Prince Charles was given the name of the English king who was beheaded.

That's slightly different as George III's wife was also a Charlotte and that was a happy and fruitful marriage apart from George's health issues - so much so that he never took a mistress. Their daughter Charlotte also had a long life, though whether it was a happy one I have no idea (her husband is thought to have weighed over 400lb).

I'm baffled as to how Prince Charles was given the name of the English king who was beheaded.

You forget Charles II, son of Charles I, known as the Merrie Monarch. His reign was largely one of celebration after the end of the period of religious fundamentalist nutterdom known as the Commonwealth.

Which probably rules out Oliver ;)

The delay and William's remark "I'm working on that" makes me think he and Kate have different choices which often happens, or sometimes I think you need time to get to know the baby to see which name kind of fits them best, which is fair enough. I could see Kate maybe not being so keen on Albert. I think, as others have said Philip will be in there somewhere and possibly Michael for Kate's father. But I think it will have to be a royal first name as the other two children have long-standing royal names.

Alexander is one of George's middle names so I wouldn't have thought that will enter into it. Would be nice perhaps if they chose a more unusual name as the other two are so very traditional. I was talking to a taxi driver yesterday and he was saying that last year there were no Nigels registered at all in the UK last year. Not that I'm suggesting Prince Nigel!

Interestingly, Louis is his other middle name - so they could have gone with Alexander, I think.

Ok then, Baby Louie ... I mean, Louis Arthur Charles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/world/europe/uk-louis-arthur-charles-royal-baby.html

Louis is Prince William’s fourth name and was apparently chosen by his father, Prince Charles, as a tribute to Lord Louis Mountbatten, a mentor of Prince Charles’s, a prominent British naval officer and the Duke of Edinburgh’s uncle.

Arthur was most likely chosen to pay homage to the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable, a legendary fictional figure admired by British royals.

Charles was mostly likely chosen in honor of William’s father. Both Prince William and Prince Charles have Arthur in their names.

Louis Arthur Charles: Prince William and Duchess Kate name new royal baby
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s third child was born Monday, joining older siblings George and Charlotte.

LONDON — Britain’s newborn prince will be named Louis Arthur Charles, the royal household announced Friday.

In a tweet posted on Kensington Palace's account, royal officials added: "The baby will be known as His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge." ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...e-william-duchess-kate-name-new-royal-n868896

Ok then, Baby Louie ... I mean, Louis Arthur Charles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/world/europe/uk-louis-arthur-charles-royal-baby.html

Louis is Prince William’s fourth name and was apparently chosen by his father, Prince Charles, as a tribute to Lord Louis Mountbatten, a mentor of Prince Charles’s, a prominent British naval officer and the Duke of Edinburgh’s uncle.

Arthur was most likely chosen to pay homage to the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable, a legendary fictional figure admired by British royals.

Charles was mostly likely chosen in honor of William’s father. Both Prince William and Prince Charles have Arthur in their names.

Maybe he'll have the nickname "LouLou" like Napoleon IV, the Prince Imperial.

Loo-w-eee, Louie Louie.... terrible name, all vowels and no substance.

Louis is a nice name in France, where everyone speaks French. In the English speaking world, not so much. They'd be wiser to let go of all false pretences and pronounce it Lewis, or Louis(e) with a short sharp S and without the e of Louise.

After all, "Charles" has been anglicized too, so what would be the problem?

Loo-w-eee, Louie Louie.... terrible name, all vowels and no substance.

Louis is a nice name in France, where everyone speaks French. In the English speaking world, not so much. They'd be wiser to let go of all false pretences and pronounce it Lewis, or Louis(e) with a short sharp S and without the e of Louise.

After all, "Charles" has been anglicized too, so what would be the problem?

No way would they pronounce it any other way than 'Louie'. The 'Lewis' pronunciation in particular is considered very downmarket.

Prince Louis..... a cutie ...

Dcd_HC0XcAA14Qj.jpg

Picture by his mother ;)

Just to confirm:
Within minutes of Prince William and Kate Middleton announcing the name for their little son — Prince Louis Arthur Charles of Cambridge — there was one question on everyone’s mind: How do you pronounce it?
Is it the Americanized pronunciation, LU-iss? Or the French, LU-ee?

The answer is the latter pronunciation, LU-ee, with the silent “s” at the end.
http://people.com/royals/lewis-or-louie-heres-how-to-pronounce-the-royal-babys-name/

New picture of Princess Charlotte with her new baby brother Prince Louis

attachment.php

Attachments

• Charlotte.jpg
    Charlotte.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 46

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics