Deceased/Not Found UK - Leah Louise Ware (still missing) and Alexandra Morgan, May/Nov 2021 *Guilty*

A jury has been asked to use “common sense” when weighing up “differing accounts” given by a man accused of murdering two young women and burning their bodies.

Mark Brown is on trial for the alleged murders of Alexandra Morgan, 34, from Sissinghurst, and Leah Ware, 33, from Hastings, who he met through the same adult service website. He denies both charges.

[...]

A jury of 10 men and two women has been listening to evidence in the trial since October 18 at Hove Crown Court and is expected to retire to deliberate on its verdicts later this week.

Prosecuting counsel Duncan Atkinson KC asked jurors during his closing address today to apply “common sense” and their “knowledge of human nature” when considering their verdicts.

Mr Atkinson KC invited jurors to draw their own conclusions about whether Mrs Ware was still alive on the basis of the “medical, financial and phone [cell site]” evidence presented to the court and the abrupt end of contact with family and friends.

[...]

As the sixth week of the trial got under way, Mr Atkinson concluded his address by asking that jurors carry out a “cool, calm assessment” and to look at the “pieces of the jigsaw not singularly but together” .

“It is a picture of the one person, whether in anger or cold blood, who has caused each of these women serious harm.

“The one person for whom the timing, location and the destruction and fabrication of evidence and the illogical and inconsistent accounts given could have been of benefit.”

This afternoon, defence counsel for Brown, Ian Henderson KC, set out the start of his closing speech.

He warned jurors of the “danger of confirmation bias” and invited them to approach each bit of evidence “openly and fairly” and to dismiss “soundbites and theories”.

“You are a juror and not a detective,” he said. “Please remember it is you who decides the fact, not the Crown and not the defence.

“Just because the Crown suggests it doesn’t make it so. The evidence does.”

He invited the jury to dismiss the prosecution's “recycled” case that Brown feared he would be stopped from seeing his children as a motive for the alleged killing of Ms Ware.

Mr Henderson went on to invite the jury to carefully consider “circumstantial evidence” including cell site data and unconfirmed sightings of Ms Ware since her disappearance and draw “common sense conclusions”.

Turning to the alleged murder of Ms Morgan, he said: “We respectfully suggest there is simply no evidence of any issue, problems or bad blood between them.

“None of the material identified any issue, any argument, any fight and bad blood which suggested there was a problem between them.”

[...]

10:30

Good morning everyone​

Good morning everyone and welcome to our live blog of the Mark Brown double murder trial. Yesterday (November 22), the defence barrister, Ian Henderson KC, began his closing statement in which he summed up his case in defence of Brown.

This is expected to continue this morning (November 23) and once it has concluded, the judge will sum up the entire case before the jury is retired and left to deliberate.

I wonder if a verdict will be reached before the weekend?
I hope so. I was hoping the jury would be sent out today but it seems unlikely as the judge can sometimes take days to sum up a lengthy trial.
If they are sent out late tomorrow I would hope we would still have a verdict on Friday. The only thing the jury might take time is Leah’s case. It’s not as clear cut IMO

I hope so. I was hoping the jury would be sent out today but it seems unlikely as the judge can sometimes take days to sum up a lengthy trial.
If they are sent out late tomorrow I would hope we would still have a verdict on Friday. The only thing the jury might take time is Leah’s case. It’s not as clear cut IMO

I am not sure whether this will be a relatively quick, unanimous verdict, or if it may not reach a majority verdict on either or both women.

I sometimes think in these cases I would hate to be a jury member as I know I'd be the one sitting on the fence!

It seems clear he plundered LW's bank withdrawing sums, but why? Was he on debt? Why would he have killed either woman, motives? Though, admittedly, parts of his story sound suss.

I am not sure whether this will be a relatively quick, unanimous verdict, or if it may not reach a majority verdict on either or both women.

I sometimes think in these cases I would hate to be a jury member as I know I'd be the one sitting on the fence!

It seems clear he plundered LW's bank withdrawing sums, but why? Was he on debt? Why would he have killed either woman, motives? Though, admittedly, parts of his story sound suss.
He plundered LWs bank account to make it appear that she was still alive.

What is his demeanour like in court? I can’t help thinking he will be loving all the attention. The comment he made to his work mate/boss (can’t remember which) about “going down for double murder” came across like he was bragging and showing off about it.

He is a cocky, arrogant and a terrible liar going by what I read on the the live updates. I think someone else who has been attending the trial said he can be quite a convincing liar on the stand, but I haven’t felt any of that by the court reports. I hope the jury make their decision swiftly.

What is his demeanour like in court? I can’t help thinking he will be loving all the attention. The comment he made to his work mate/boss (can’t remember which) about “going down for double murder” came across like he was bragging and showing off about it.

He is a cocky, arrogant and a terrible liar going by what I read on the the live updates. I think someone else who has been attending the trial said he can be quite a convincing liar on the stand, but I haven’t felt any of that by the court reports. I hope the jury make their decision swiftly.
Friend of mine saw him on the stand...Hove CC is badly set up so the public gallery is above where the defendant is standing...so you can't see them unless they are giving evidence. Friend of mine told me he was a cocky jack-the lad type...effing and blinding all the time when giving answers...confident...the simple fact that he dumped AM's body upside down in an oil drum before setting fire to her (which he has admitted) sort of suggests he's not exactly the type of guy you'd want...well...anywhere near ya!!...then there's the utterly overwhelming evidence of him taking all of LWs money...the prosecution also pointed out that after LW "disappeared" MB made no attempt whatsoever to find out where she had gone...maybe because...he knew she was dead!

ADMIN NOTE:

This is a trial thread to discuss the trial only. It is not a general discussion thread.

Although WS is based in the USA, we do try to manage the various discussions according to laws of other countries.

As this trial is in the UK, the case is under sub judice so please stick to discussing the trial content without posting anything that violates the following principles:

Basically anything that may prejudice the accused’s right to a fair trial
Any suggestion, opinion, or direct accusation that the accused is either guilty OR innocent
(i.e. the accused cannot be called "the killer"; use "the accused", "the alleged killer", or "the defendant")
A defendant’s previous history of any offences is off limits
Scandalizing the court (disparaging judges, lawyers, any officer of the Court) is off limits
Broadcasting anything about proceedings which happen in the jury's absence is off limits
Any non compliance with an Order of the court is off limits

Note in the event of an Appeal subsequent to verdict:

Appeals are usually heard by senior judges who are not likely to be influenced by the media, therefore responsible comment is usually considered acceptable once a trial has concluded, regardless of if there is going to be an appeal.

Reference: UK Contempt of Court Act 1981

The case is listed for this morning, presumably for jury to say whether a verdict has been reached. But no idea as we have no on site reporting. :(

Ah, we have an update, of sorts...

14:39

Good afternoon - update on trial proceedings​

Good afternoon. Mark Brown's trial is still ongoing at Hove Crown Court, with the judge currently taking the jury through his summing up of the evidence heard.
The court has now heard closing statements from both the prosecution and defence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back