UK UK - Owen Harding, 16, Saltdean, East Sussex, 26 Mar 2020

Is hitchhiking a common occurrence in the UK? Could he have picked up a ride north?
It's very rare nowadays except within the car delivery trade, where a prominently displayed temporary number plate clearly indicates that the hitch-hiker is in that business. In the current climate, there's not a chance that he would have been picked up. Indeed, he would be stopped and questioned by police, if they encountered him.

That was my reaction , Sera.
LE appear to be requesting any dashcam footage from after the time of the ( last?) sghting near the clifftops?

I fear he is still a very long way from Pocklington.
I'm a bit confused by the timeline as I thought he left home around 18:45 but the clifftop sightings were around 18:15. o_O Did BBC make a typo and it's meant to say 19:15? Or have I got it wrong that he left home at 18:45?

I'm a bit confused by the timeline as I thought he left home around 18:45 but the clifftop sightings were around 18:15. o_O Did BBC make a typo and it's meant to say 19:15? Or have I got it wrong that he left home at 18:45?

"Owen Harding, 16, left his home in Saltdean around 6pm on Thursday, March 26.

Two witnesses have reported a boy matching his description alongside the A259 near the clifftop at around 6.15pm and 6.30pm.

A CCTV photo shows Owen walking south in Bannings Vale around 6.50pm and from here he may have turned into Hamsey Road."
New CCTV released of missing 16-year-old as the desperate search continues

Saltdean to the A259 around the clifftop area is a distance of about 12 minutes. So, if Owen left at around 6, then it would make sense that he was seen around 6:15, and if he left Saltdean at 6:15 then being seen around 6:30 is also roughly correct.

From the A259 clifftop area towards Banning Vale is approx. 17minutes. So, let's take the fact that Owen leaves his home in Saltdean at 6, arrives alongside the A259 at around 6:15, then to be seen in the area of Banning Vale would be around 6:40 approx. Or, if we take the fact he left Saltdean at 6:15, arrives alongside the A259 at 6:30, then to be seen in the area of Banning Vale would be exactly around 6:50.

"Another photo has emerged of a person meeting Owen’s description walking by a house in Bevendean Avenue, heading south, at 6.08pm that day, but it is not clear if it is he. If anyone recognises this person and it is not Owen, police would also like to hear from them so that that line of enquiry may be ruled out."

Not sure if this was actually Owen, times wouldn't add up, its 15 minutes to Bevendean Avenue, he leaves Saltdean at 6, not possible.

Maybe it was a friend of his? Video: Owen Harding seen in phone footage released as he is missing | Daily Mail Online
Perhaps the person who took this video of Owen was the one seen walking by the house in Bevendean Avenue.

"Owen Harding, 16, left his home in Saltdean around 6pm on Thursday, March 26.

Two witnesses have reported a boy matching his description alongside the A259 near the clifftop at around 6.15pm and 6.30pm.

A CCTV photo shows Owen walking south in Bannings Vale around 6.50pm and from here he may have turned into Hamsey Road."

Saltdean to the A259 around the clifftop area is a distance of about 12 minutes. So, if Owen left at around 6, then it would make sense that he was seen around 6:15, and if he left Saltdean at 6:15 then being seen around 6:30 is also roughly correct.

From the A259 clifftop area towards Banning Vale is approx. 17minutes. So, let's take the fact that Owen leaves his home in Saltdean at 6, arrives alongside the A259 at around 6:15, then to be seen in the area of Banning Vale would be around 6:40 approx. Or, if we take the fact he left Saltdean at 6:15, arrives alongside the A259 at 6:30, then to be seen in the area of Banning Vale would be exactly around 6:50.
Thank you very much for the clarification!

Since this town is on the water, are there closed up summer homes that he could be in? At least he would have shelter, food and water are a different matter though. LE would have to have owner's permission to search and that is time consuming.
It is a little ominous though that his girl friend hasn't heard from him.

"His father died aged 45 in November 2018 and the family and friends held a memorial ceremony in Goa, India, which was his favourite place.

Ms Harding said: "The death of his dad may have affected him more than he realised even though they didn't have a particularly strong relationship. We don't know how much that was preying on his mind."
Mum holds garden vigil for missing son amid 280-mile walk theory

Contributing factor?

"His father died aged 45 in November 2018 and the family and friends held a memorial ceremony in Goa, India, which was his favourite place.

Ms Harding said: "The death of his dad may have affected him more than he realised even though they didn't have a particularly strong relationship. We don't know how much that was preying on his mind."

Contributing factor?
Poor family, I hope he's found soon.

It says he was last heard from at 6.20pm so could he have been using his phone at that point and told the person on the other end that his battery was running low? I wonder if there is mention of his phone being almost out of charge in the news because his friends might have been trying to ring him after 6.20pm. It also mentioned he had had a row with his Mum and that's when he left the house so if it was a bad row, he probably wasn't thinking properly. Could he perhaps have mentioned to his Mum that his phone was almost out of charge before he left the house? I'm very confused re the ex Bromley link with his phone though.

How would a teenager react if he missed his girlfriend who lived over 200 miles away, there was a lockdown so he couldn't visit his girlfriend, having a row with his Mum and on top of that all the anxiety and worry everyone is facing re the virus? Could it have been a last minute decision to try and see his girlfriend without thinking anything through?

His mother says he is a strong swimmer and a certified life guard so the idea of him perhaps harming himself in the water off the coast doesn't make a lot of sense.
Have there been any reports of stolen bicycles or motor scooters?
Also, are folks looking in places familiar to him but unoccupied due to the CoVid restrictions, like his school or church? Places where he knows his way around but no one is there now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back