UK UK - Owen Harding, 16, Saltdean, East Sussex, 26 Mar 2020

Do towns and churches in Great Britain have soup kitchens and homeless shelters that he could be staying at? I think if he were walking to his girl friend's home he could find shelter, but how would he be feeding himself? It seems strange that if he were trying to get to her, that he wouldn't have contacted her. It also occurs to me that he probably doesn't have many "street smarts"

Owen's mother said he left to go watch the sunset that evening. Would this be from the top of the cliffs, are there benches up there? Or would he have gone down to the water and perhaps sat there or would he have walked out a pier to sit and dangle his legs and watch the sun set?

@Rosiebones - I know that one of the main soup kitchen/hot meals for homeless people schemes in Brighton (at the Peace Statue) has not been running because of the Covid-19 restrictions on social distancing. I don't know about the rest of the country.

There are some benches that overlook the sea on the west side of Saltdean; the views would be pretty spectacular.

From what I know, Owen has left home after an argument. I guess he said he would look at the sunset to perhaps calm down. However, if I was leaving my home after having an argument, the last thing I would be thinking about would be the sunset. I would be focussed on what had upset me.

I'm still hoping for some positive news in this case for Owen and his loved ones.

I did read an article when I was looking, about a man who had fallen from the cliffs at Saltdean, but he fell onto the ground below. I couldn't find anything indicating that accidents were all that common there. Also, in my searching I found plenty of articles about how prevalent suicide was over some cliffs further east (I forgot the name of them) but not the cliffs at Saltdean.
I seems to me that he went into the sea, but whether by accident or purpose, I cannot decide.

@Rosiebones - the cliffs further east would probably be Beachy Head. Infamous as a suicide spot sadly. But 5hrs on foot from Saltdean.

I too am unsure whether this is a case of self-harm or accident but as the time goes by it seems more and more likely that there won't be a happy ending. If he went in the sea I hope it gives him up so the family can be freed from the torment of not knowing where Owen is.

@Rosiebones - the cliffs further east would probably be Beachy Head. Infamous as a suicide spot sadly. But 5hrs on foot from Saltdean.

I too am unsure whether this is a case of self-harm or accident but as the time goes by it seems more and more likely that there won't be a happy ending. If he went in the sea I hope it gives him up so the family can be freed from the torment of not knowing where Owen is.
Yes, Beachy Head was the name. I doubt he went all the way there for the reason you state. My head and heart are not together on this, my heart says he is alive somewhere until proven otherwise but my head does not agree.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back